Server time: 2017-10-20, 18:06
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
George Breit

Possible in-game currency idea

Hi Everyone,

I've had this in mind for a while now on how ammunition is the most valuable item in game and how it could be traded for other items weapons etc...

I haven't personally seen anything like this suggested. So I ran some very basic figures just as an example for this thread ill go into detail on how all the aspects will effect the final value of each round/box.

Type Amount in box Rarity Gun Quality Gun Rarity AVG Value of Box
.22 R 50 25 25 58.33333333 1.73
.380 R 35 25 25 33.33333333 1.90
9mm 25 25 50 60 4.32
3.57 R 20 50 25 62.5 5.50
.45ACP 25 75 50 81.25 6.60
7.62x39mm 20 50 100 43.75 7.75
5.45mm 20 25 100 75 8.00
12G Buck 10 25 25 50 8.00
7.62x54mmR 20 50 75 87.5 8.50
5.56mm 20 75 100 66.66666667 9.67
SP-6 R 20 75 75 100 10.00
.308 W 20 75 100 81.25 10.25

So above in the table is just a very basic and crude way of doing it.
A value could be assigned to each box/round based on the rarity of the round, the quality of the gun and the rarity of the gun.

Here is what I believe should all be taken into account for a full 'ammo economy' to work.

The calculation will be based on:

Rarity of the Round

Common - uncommon - rare - very rare
Each level assigned a value such as 25 - 50 -75 -100

Weapons which us the ammo

This is a little more complex the above calculation in the table was done purely by eye and my own personal preference.
Doing it properly would take into consideration

Fire Rate - Dexterity - absorbency - damage - customisation

All of those figures would be calculated to get a 'gun rating' for each gun and an average then taken to get a score for that type of ammo.

Gun Rarity

Common - uncommon - rare - very rare
Each level assigned a value such as 25 - 50 -75 -100

An average would then be taken.

*Alternatively you could factor gun rarity into the gun rating and have an overall score for each weapon.
An average of those scores would then be taken for an overall score for the type of ammunition.

Once you work that out a value for a box and per round could be taken using a carefully designed volume to create denomination and bingo you have a currency.

Yes i understand this would be a big ask to implement but there are a lot of upsides to it especially from a role play perspective.
I could run through a list but i'm sure you've all got your ideas.

To get the currency to function you would have to set certain values to items. Weapons would most likely be the best to use as a core and all other items and be bartered for.
Once the system took hold the trade communities and groups would start to form and barter and an economy would start.

Personally I have this thought of two guys bare knuckle boxing over a backpack of ammo...

Any thoughts thoughts and suggestions, would like to hear what everybody thinks!

Cheers

People have ran groups in the past that used ammo and guns as currency and did have conversions and standards like this.

It's interesting, but in the apocalypse I don't think anyone is gonna sit there and count out all of their ammo to buy these things. You could always set up a shop where you use this, like in the safe zone after the wipe. It's up to you, but I don't want a standard like this that everyone follows. That would be boring imho.

Major    638

I like this concept, but instead of having a "universal currency" a group could use this system in their settlement, that way folks visiting there would know what to bring with them for trades. Idea for safe-zone perhaps?

+1 to the general idea

Hebi Kotei    345

If you want to do it, do it, but be prepared to fight or negotiate with people who do not want to use your currency. Do not use NCR dollars in Legion territory kinda shit

Spartan    1231

currency can be nice but I doubt that people will adopt it. Some trading groups used it in the past, that was pretty cool since they only wanted to trade with you if you had the currency. It was SVD rounds back then I believe.

Ark    230

Back in the past the CTC used fuel for a currency for a bit. Multiple other groups have tried to use stuff as currency since then.  While it's a great idea and your free to try it out don't expect everyone to just adapt to that currency. 

Idole    184

It's a good idea but i feel many won't do it.  It would be good if someone wants a new gun or more ammo or add ons you would pay but i would use one type of ammo like 556 or svd rounds. Kind of like the metro games which used 1 type of good ammo to buy special things but I wouldn't use it everywhere I would stick to safe zones or camps groups make. It's a good idea I'm up for it, would bring a sense that stability and a reason for some to trade.

PCJames    202

I do like the premise of this idea however I don't think this idea would work for this. This is the system that is in place in the Metro Universe and it's really cool, I'll give it that. But in the Metro Universe, that game is so far into the apocalypse that they are manufacturing bullets and the old war bullets, which are authentic, are used for currency. With DayZ, we only have these bullets therefore we have to shoot them to survive, so I don't think this currency is very reliable or consistent. I think until an item is put into the game that people don't have to use on an hourly basis, then we should put this suggestion on hold. But if you really wanted this system put in place then I advise trying to put it place in a settlement and seeing how it works there. 

matusmanis    21

Actualy its probable that something like this would form several months into apocalypse.

We as players probably wont get to that point as we have respawning loot but if LMs could get it as part of after outbreak lore that would be prety realistic.

Problem with idea you guys are sugesting him to do is that groupsin here dont usualy manage to stay alive long enought for anything to become a thing and players dont realy feel that currency is needed due to beeing able to find loot all the time. If for example server would restart only once in lets say a week than currency would probably ended up beeing felt as needed.

So conclusion, possibly put it into after outbreak lore with it beeing incorporated in some of the lore events to back it up

If we cant have realism cause of the game reasons we have toake rp reasons for it right?

John    270

I like the idea as well.  Props to you for the concept.  If I were a trader, I would get something which on its own isn't terribly useful (ie. the .22LR rounds because they're the lowest value based on your table) and have the currency be that.

Or I'd do something like matches.  Universally useful and not too hard to find.  Only stipulation is that they must be dry lol.

I tend to just go with outright barter, not a currency conversion. Some people might be disproportionately flush with a supposedly rare ammo type, but have desperate need of a working compass or a heavy want for a supposedly easy to find gun. In that instance, the SVD mag they're trading is worth considerably less than the can opener they got.

But it's a cool idea on a by settlement basis, but it should never be universal and definitely shouldn't supercede just straight up trading

Bruh if you do this right now, you're gonna get big dicked so hard haha.

It's a cool idea on paper, just not in practice.

Finn    78

Why make currency if you can just steal everything for free?

Alexis    85

I don't like the idea for a server wide thing. I feel like you could enforce this in game though. :)

Hollows    451

1.) It won't work as a server wide ordeal. Everything is barter system as is, and I'll be damned if I can't buy someone's daughter for three boxes of .308 and a stack of 5.56 anymore because of this table chart.

2.) It could work as a settlement ordeal if you ran and maintained one yourself. Though, I don't see you being so prosperous as you'd be unique when it comes to this, and your competition (Trading groups or settlements) would run things differently and be able to allow more foot traffic and item flow as opposed to yours.

3.) I could possibly see this working after the lore wipe because of how recent everything will be and how close it is to actual money, but I don't think it is a system that is going to be carved into stone. 

Regardless of my opinion, do your thing guy. See how far you can get it, and good luck in your endeavor. 

taac    10

in my opinion you should try to do this in game not in a suggestion thread.