Server time: 2017-08-21, 06:53

Sign in to follow this  
Static

ODA 5412 (post-wipe group idea)

Static    231
Posted (edited)

Disclaimer: This idea will almost certainly be perceived as a super-soldier group idea.  That is not the case.  I have plans for the group which will keep it human, realistic, and tightly bound to both internal and community-wide lore progression.  I have a desire to see this group evolve--and devolve--as the roleplay progresses post-wipe.  The group will not have a large number (capped at 12) and will not follow a rigid military style of regulations, formations, etc.  This is an unconventional unit in a desperate situation.

That in mind, here is my idea.  Please let me know your thoughts.  I'd also love to see some input from LMs if possible.  Keep in mind this is a very early WIP with limited knowledge of what the new lore will be like.

UPDATE: This thread will remain active, despite NATO's existence.  ODA is a part of NATO CFOR, but still runs operations independently.

Webp.net-resizeimage.png.0c402cc785723530a08b5cdec800ab3e.png

ODA 5412

Backstory

In early 2017, ODA 5412, Alpha Company, 4th Battalion, 5th Special Forces Group, US Army deployed to the Joint NATO-CDF Base Garrison on Utes Island to coordinate a COIN task force headed for Takistan as part of NATO's Steadfast Reaction Mission (SRM).  The team’s objective was to perform counterinsurgency and counterterrorism operations along the Takhari Ridge and down into the valleys that surrounded Lake Ghadr.  Insurgents in the area had been spotted carrying advanced Russian munitions, which led NATO and CDF forces to worry that Russia may have been supporting a proxy in Takistan.  If the reports were correct, a full-blown insurgency on the western border of Chernarus would leave the CDF ill-prepared to stage any kind of substantive defense against a Russian military force.  The tensions between Russia and Chernarus were growing palpable, and a US Special Forces presence in the region was to be kept out of the public view.

takistan.png.1f3b4453fd99f3770e3c94edf80a52a3.png

As part of the mission, ODA 5412 was tasked to work alongside their CDF counterparts who had been staging surgical strikes deep in the Orgal River Valley.  The CDF unit was highly familiarized with the terrain and locals, and had been planning a sustained operation in the region for months--but had lacked the funding to do so.  Chernarus’ budget was heavily focused on infrastructure development and reforming of political institutions.  The CDF was underfunded for such an operation.  With ODA 5412 and the monetary and physical might of the US military behind the CDF, the two units could finally make headway into ridding the greater Takhari region of its insurgency.  The American forces rendezvoused with the CDF at a military base just south of Pavlovo.  They were to make preparations for the operation and then make way to the western Chernarussian city of Belozersk before heading to the Takhari Ridge.

As preparations for the operation were underway, the CDF unit received a call about a rapidly spreading and volatile biological disaster in South Zagoria.  The infection, which was thought to have been previously isolated, had apparently broken containment and was wreaking havoc upon the South Zagorian people.  The CDF unit was retasked to Zelenogorsk, where evacuation procedures were underway.  ODA 5412 received a separate call from Base Garrison on Utes that the source of the biological agent was unknown, but that its volatility indicated it may have been a weaponized strain of a rare infection.  The US team was ordered to join NATO CFOR's operation, to assist CDF in Zelenogorsk, and try to obtain samples of the infection for analysis by military experts in biological warfare.

Together, the CDF unit and ODA 5412 went north to Zelenogorsk, only to find an absolute disaster.  Fires raged in buildings, civilians were in a full panic, the medical center in the city was ransacked.  Worst of all though, infected citizens were viciously attacking everyone in sight.  The infected ripped at flesh with their bare hands and teeth; they snapped and gnawed on bones until the marrow was visible.  It was chaos.

The combined force had split into several trucks, and the situation on the streets forced them apart.  Half of ODA 5412 careened into a building after their driver lost control of the vehicle; they were pulled from their truck by a massive horde of infected.  Their assault rifles did little to stop the sheer wall of bodies rushing them.  The CDF forces blasted through their own civilians, racing north.  Bodies of infected and uninfected alike took flight and littered the streets in their wake.  A radio transmission sent by the Chernarussian unit indicated they were headed to a military base called Tisy to regroup with other CDF forces.

The second half of ODA 5412 veered to the west toward an industrial complex and some farms.  They dismounted and ran straight into the forested hills to the north and south of the city.  In the tragic disorder of Zelenogorsk, the team lost their long-range communications equipment.  Stranded in the hills of South Zagoria with no way to call for US support, the remainder of ODA 5412 headed south toward the coast, in the hopes of finding NATO CFOR and offer whatever support they could.

Goals

plan.png.fccbd4adbdee4f86a2a62f46c0960450.png

Regroup with CDF and NATO forces

Establish line of communication with US Army at HQ CFOR on Base Garrison

Find samples of infection for analysis by biological experts

Find survivors of ODA 5412 that may have escaped Zelenogorsk

OOC Goals

size0.jpg.8663b0b5984f77f80a9e586510a7e85e.jpg

Provide quality survivor, military, and hostile RP

Push great internal and community-wide lore

Diplomacy

soldierdip.png.e2f62bf15cf181479e19ba0f7441cbd2.png

Friendly to all CDF, UN, and NATO forces

Neutral to all civilians

Hostile to any threats or infected

Rules

rules.png.201ff87e261594cfadef3d47d2e93bd5.png

1. Stay out of urban centers as much as possible

2. Use Hostile/Cautious RP with everyone until they identify themselves

3.  Attempt to secure, subdue, or neutralize all infected survivors

4. Avoid setting up a camp

Roles

agile-special-forces-lightweight-teams-in-heavyweight-organizations-7-1024.thumb.jpg.4ef6326da97744dfb11798b2570e04c0.jpg

Detachment Commander (18A): OPEN

Assistant Detachment Commander (180A): Warrant Officer John Reynolds

Operations Sergeant (18Z): Master Sergeant Jack Castle

Assistant Operations and Intelligence Sergeant (18F): OPEN

Weapons Sergeant (18B): OPEN

Weapons Sergeant (18B): OPEN

Communications Sergeant (18E): OPEN

Communications Sergeant (18E): OPEN

Medical Sergeant (18D): Sergeant First Class Vince Rooker

Medical Sergeant (18D): OPEN

Engineering Sergeant (18C): OPEN

Engineering Sergeant (18C): Staff Sergeant Mathew Tóth

If anyone is interested in joining this group, please don't hesitate to PM me or comment on here indicating your interest!

Edited by Static

PCJames    167

Your lore is very well thought out. As long as you stay away from the emotionless super soldier, then this should be a good idea. 

Static    231

Thank you, my hope is that the group will explore a dilemma: try to complete a mission for an Army which may no longer acknowledge their existence, or simply try to survive in a foreign country surrounded by desperate and/or infected people.  I want to see the group eventually devolve and shed itself of its military structure entirely, and individual members to have complex emotions and personal challenges.  Hopefully, it will range from PTSD to paranoia to depression in later stages.

William    398

It looks well thought out. As long as it goes with the lore it shouldn't be an issue. 

Remember, it's not always a bad thing to be a 'super solider'. If you roleplay it out correctly then it could easily be really fun. Don't let people discourage you.

Static    231
5 minutes ago, Will said:

It looks well thought out. As long as it goes with the lore it shouldn't be an issue. 

Remember, it's not always a bad thing to be a 'super solider'. If you roleplay it out correctly then it could easily be really fun. Don't let people discourage you.

Yep, this will definitely be tied up nicely once the lore is set in stone.  I'll make edits as necessary to fit.

And thanks lol, I said that more from the connotation that super-soldiers in RP are emotionless drones that only want to shoot things.  By all accounts, that's basically the opposite of what US Army SF is all about.  SF is more interested in engaging with locals on the ground and helping people fight their own battles.  They're essentially force multipliers, not walking military cyborgs.

For the LMs, I was wondering what a CDF SOF unit would be called.  I know COBR is a militarized secret police acting as an anti-terrorist unit, so I was hoping for something within CDF itself that would be more open to US engagement.

Also, if anyone is interested in going down this path then I'm more than willing to discuss membership.  I want to keep the initial numbers around 6-10 kept within the roles I've outlined.  As the apocalypse spirals further down, I'll be opening up membership to CDF, other NATO/US/UN forces, or useful civilians.

Major    433

Ok. I haven't read the thread yet but all you guys and gals wanting to do anything NATO or US military need to find each other, group up and come see me. I'll leave a response to the thread at some point, looks neat.

Skinner    439

I agree with Major, it looks like you and I should have a chat. I'll be leading the NATO/UN Military element post lore wipe. I'll be on teamspeak in about 4 hours if you want to discuss the details.

Static    231
44 minutes ago, Major said:

Ok. I haven't read the thread yet but all you guys and gals wanting to do anything NATO or US military need to find each other, group up and come see me. I'll leave a response to the thread at some point, looks neat.

Sounds good, and yeah I have only seen the thread with the permabanned guy and the Marshal.  It seemed like a very different direction though.  Perhaps it can be a loose confederation of several US mil groups.  It might make sense if we begin as smaller individual groups (perhaps even just dynamic) and coalesce after things settle, so to speak.

25 minutes ago, TheMatt924 said:

I agree with Major, it looks like you and I should have a chat. I'll be leading the NATO/UN Military element post lore wipe. I'll be on teamspeak in about 4 hours if you want to discuss the details.

Works with me.  I'll get on around then as well.

The Marshal    351

Looks neat and thought out, after several weeks of thought I've decided that I'm doing a temporary character with the UN post lorewipe. A backseat mid tier role. I'm done leading anything, or even having a remote leadership role for the time being. I just wanna chill.

looks cool though.

Static    231

@Major after having spoken to Matt about his role in the UN, I think that I'll try to stay separate for now.

That being said, anyone interested in this, please PM me.

Static    231
4 hours ago, The Marshal said:

Looks neat and thought out, after several weeks of thought I've decided that I'm doing a temporary character with the UN post lorewipe. A backseat mid tier role. I'm done leading anything, or even having a remote leadership role for the time being. I just wanna chill.

looks cool though.

Well maybe when your temp-posting at the UNDPKO is done, you can swing by this way!  I'm definitely cool with you taking a backseat, I've been itching for the steering wheel as of late anyhow.

The Marshal    351

Appreciate the offer, but I have plans already after the UN, and would hate to waste the 50 pages of lore already written in for another character.

Chief    597
20 hours ago, The Marshal said:

looks cool though.

Ha now you know how I feel Pal. But I am back in the fray again ;)

Interesting group @Static although I would have liked to be tagged and weigh in right away as well but meh  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know you talked to Matt about recruitment for UN peacekeeper role or something similar. Feel free to message me or @TheMatt924 on the matter so we can add you to the interest list.

Static    231
Just now, Chief said:

Ha now you know how I feel Pal. But I am back in the fray again ;)

Interesting group @Static although I would have liked to be tagged and weigh in right away as well but meh  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know you talked to Matt about recruitment for UN peacekeeper role or something similar. Feel free to message me or @TheMatt924 on the matter so we can add you to the interest list.

Sorry for not tagging you, Chief!  Joules and Major spoke with me about this previously, so I thought of them.

Thanks for the offer, but as it stands I'm not super interested in the UN faction.  Matt and I were speaking, and it was clear that we had diametrically opposing RP styles in mind for our respective groups.  That said, I'll be more than happy to have friendly relations with y'all once things kick off.  And who knows?  The peacekeepers might just need someone with teeth to do things for them on the downlow.  I've gotten some interest, potentially around 5 or 6 others at this point, but nothing concrete yet.  Will certainly keep you posted as things change!

That being said, any constructive criticism on the lore for the group would be appreciated!

Glitch    15

Seems well thought out. I am glad you are thinking ahead as you had stated you plan for when the group evolves and devolves and how to avoid the super soldier image. Good luck and have fun.

Static    231
16 hours ago, matusmanis said:

well lets see how this turns out :D, happy to be in here

Great to have you on board!

9 hours ago, Glitch said:

Seems well thought out. I am glad you are thinking ahead as you had stated you plan for when the group evolves and devolves and how to avoid the super soldier image. Good luck and have fun.

Yeah, when I make or join groups, I always have intentions for how I'd like lore to progress.  It's important to me.  Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Western said:

Looks really good this :)

Thanks man, things are looking good.

There's a good number of people showing interest, expecting the roster to fill up by the end of the weekend.  If anyone wants to throw their hat in the ring, be sure to send me a PM!

This is amazing Static. I love it already, and it sure will be something to reckon with once we get into the Wipe. I'll keep an eye on this, since my character will most probably be a UN member as well, but that's just a probability so far.

The cruel thing about making group ideas, is that you can't really predict what the Wipe will be like, so your story might need a few adjustments of sorts, unless you have already talked that over with the LMs, of course.

Static    231
9 hours ago, Rogério SkyLab said:

This is amazing Static. I love it already, and it sure will be something to reckon with once we get into the Wipe. I'll keep an eye on this, since my character will most probably be a UN member as well, but that's just a probability so far.

The cruel thing about making group ideas, is that you can't really predict what the Wipe will be like, so your story might need a few adjustments of sorts, unless you have already talked that over with the LMs, of course.

Appreciate it man!

And welcome @Rooke!  Glad to have you.

Static    231

I'm porting this comment from something I said in another thread, just so all the US military groups are on the same page:

I recognize a lot of people in this community have a baffling dislike for US military groups.  Frankly, I'm tired of this reaction.  There's only been two US military groups proposed for the lore-wipe: this one and ODA 5412.  Any others have been dissolved.  Let me break down for everyone why US military groups are not in opposition to the lore.

1. The US military was stationed in Chernarus during the civil war in 2009.  Specifically, the US Marine Corps served alongside the CDF and NAPA against Chedaki and (briefly) Russian forces.  The US military and/or NATO would have continued to be present in the area for years after, eventually moving into an advisory role as the country rebuilds.  There are examples of this all over the world, but specifically in Eastern Europe.  Read up on Kosovo if you are unfamiliar.
  2. The country borders Takistan, a Muslim country with a constant threat of transnational terrorism and insurgency.  After 2001, the US pretty much acts with impunity on matters of terrorism across the globe.  Since Chernarus and Takistan are bordering states, the US would likely use Chernarus as a staging ground for many operations into Takistan.  Read up on Kazakhstan's cooperation with the US military operations in Afghanistan.
  3. In instances of biological pandemics, the US military has been part of the response force as of late.  During the Ebola crisis in 2013, US forces were sent in-country to help contain the spread as best they could.  That, coupled with a much more aggressive approach than regularly taken in most pandemic situations, helped to dramatically reduce the disease from reaching truly global pandemic levels.
  4. Chernarus also borders Russia, a country which has frequently upset its neighboring states.  Ukraine is a perfect example, and actually ties into the lore.  The Russian decision to illegally annex Crimea and support an active rebellion against the Ukrainian government significantly strained Russo-Chernarussian relations.  NATO presence in Cherarus was approved by the CDF and Chernarussian government as a means to dissuade Russia from continuing their expansionist policies there.  So, US military and NATO forces would be in-country and nearby (and they are, according to the Loremasters).

If about 20 people in this community deciding to make US military groups really 'triggers' you, I recommend you learn to accept how the world works.  The US is gonna be there, and those of us who have chosen to create groups for it have coordinated pretty heavily to avoid the common pitfalls associated with US military groups in the current iteration of the community.  We are a small part of a much larger community that encompasses groups like the Russian military, the UN (civilian and peacekeeping), CDf, and many many others.  Our 20 or so members (assumingly) will not impact your RP, and if you're afraid we will, then know that we're trying to do everything we can to not repeat the mistakes of our past.

Spacefather    0

I found this rather fun to read. I'll be honest, you make for a talented writer!

Static    231

Thank you!  If you enjoyed this, please give the NATO thread a read.  At the suggestion of the LM team, that's where my focus has shifted as of late.

I used to love creative writing when I was in college and haven't touched it in some time, so this is kind of like kicking the dust off for me.  I'd have liked to apply for the LM team, but I simply don't have the time to devote to it.