Server time: 2017-08-16, 19:38

Sign in to follow this  
Taryn

For people new to DayZ RP.

Taryn    178
Posted (edited)

Hello. 

I'm Taryn, and I am a white name. That's to say someone who is relatively new to DayZ RP. Over the past few weeks, I have learned so much about DayZ RP and the game itself. I figured perhaps I could give the new folks a few pointers on how to play the game and get into the swing of things more easily from the point of view of someone who recently learned all these things. So here we go:

DayZ itself has many tips and tricks. For more immersive roleplay, here are some I wanted to share.

➡Use Alt to look around, but also to nod, and shake your head. You can also use it to express emotions in the game, such as being upset or nervous. Just use Alt to move your head as you would in real life. 

➡Use Q and E to lean into someone to whisper to them in character. You can also use this when trying to spy on someone or in some cases to check out a fine piece of ass. ;)

➡There are many gestures in DayZ that can come in handy. F3 makes you sit on the ground instead of crouching or going prone. F8 is to facepalm.Try not to use F4. You might piss off the locals. 

➡Voice RP can be daunting. If you feel overwhelmed, you can text RP for a little while. Honestly, the best way to go about this is to make a character who is similar to you enough that your actions over voice reflect how you would react. Once you're more comfortable, you may get into harder things, like emoting pain and anger when in reality your fine. Just don't go overboard. Cheese levels should remain low. 

➡ Do not refer to items as they are named in the game if your character wouldn't know what they are. For instance, instead of referring to something as a UMP or something, refer to it as a rifle or something. Furthermore, don't say you found something "Pristine" or "Damaged". Instead, you can say things about it such as "It looks dirty." Or "It looks pretty rough" or something like that.

➡When in doubt, scout it out. You are free to approach people and see what's going on. Of you don't want to participate, feel free to say so. You are still in character though. They will react to you "being weird". 

➡DO NOT SHOOT UNSILENCED GUNS ON CITIES UNLESS YOU WANT TO ATTRACT HORDES. I cannot say this enough. When you see a single zombie attacking a friend, do not shoot it. 1: you could shoot your friend and 2: you've now attracted the attention of a negative kind from both zombies and players alike. In RP, ammo is scarce. Conserve it and don't be a dick. 

➡Things, like showering, and playing games and listening to music, are a thing of the past. Everyone is very sullen. Get used to this. A lot of the RP you'll be doing will be mundane, or emotionally draining. People are supposed to be depressed and cynical. No one should be super happy all the time unless they're insane. Avoid the super happy people. 

➡Another thing; TRUST NO ONE. Everyone has a reason for doing what they do. For the best realism, be skeptical of all things. Yes, people may rob you. Yes, they may try to trick you, and yes they may want you dead. Treat everyone this way until they otherwise give a reason not to. 

And my biggest tip for you-

➡If you don't know, join the TS and ask someone. We are all willing to help you and teach you whatever you need to know. We aren't shitty in real life... Only in RP. 

Thank you for reading. I hope I've helped you learn a thing or two. If you have any questions, please do ask me or any other players. Now get out there and make some friends... Or don't. I don't care. 

Edited by Taryn Allegheny
Adding things :P

This is where you bought me:

8 minutes ago, Taryn Allegheny said:

➡Use Q and E to lean into someone to whisper to them in character. You can also use this when trying to spy on someone or in some cases to check out a fine piece of ass. ;)

Great guide, I'll tell you that, but there's no need to call yourself a white-names, since it's sorta like an insult sometimes. Hell, I'm still a white-name since 2013, so what the heck am I even complaining about, lol :P

Taryn    178
1 hour ago, Rogério SkyLab said:

This is where you bought me:

Great guide, I'll tell you that, but there's no need to call yourself a white-names, since it's sorta like an insult sometimes. Hell, I'm still a white-name since 2013, so what the heck am I even complaining about, lol :P

I'm taking it back, I want them to not see it as an insult, but just as a term for 'new people'...

Shane    349

This is probably better off in the guides section tbh but there is some very handy stuff here and I feel like it will help out newcomers a fair bit. 

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    749
8 minutes ago, Shane said:

This is probably better off in the guides section tbh but there is some very handy stuff here and I feel like it will help out newcomers a fair bit. 

Agreed, maybe ask a moderator politely if he/she could move it for you?

Shane    349
Just now, Randle said:

Agreed, maybe ask a moderator politely if he/she could move it for you?

Admin Aiko was mean't to do it Ex-Moderator Randle.

Ramon    327

I don't agree with everything in this '' Guide ''. Like, for example, don't trust anyone.
There are plenty people that are nice and friendly to others without a secret plan.
If you put this in the Guide section it comes over like nobody can be trusted.

Majoo    632

Hello, this thread will be closed now as it is in the wrong place. I would like to suggest you reposting the thread in the guides section where it would be more fitting.

/closed