Server time: 2017-08-23, 21:38

Sign in to follow this  
Buddy

Suggestion for the New website - Automatic Templates

Automatic Thread Templates  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel this would be a helpful addition to the website?

• Yes, I do
    • No, I don't and will respond with why I feel that way. *hint hint*

Buddy    861

With the topic of a website upgrade coming up, I wanted to voice a thought I had;

IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO CODE IN..... 

I feel that it would be a great benefit for all parties if threads that required templates would automatically insert them into the original post for when a user starts a topic. I'm mostly talking about reports and appeals here. I see a great deal of back and forth "please update your post with the appropriate template within the next 24h..." and I can't help but think of how inconvenient and what a waste of staff time that is with how it makes everything take longer to accomplish. - Then on another note; threads that require or request RESPONSES to use templates such as staff feedback, media / graphics requests and even the Mentor Program; have a button added in the post formatting tab to toggle inserting the template or not and give it an obvious name of "insert thread template into post".

Before anyone says anything; yes I am a full advocate of using my eyes to read instructions and look at the "read before posting" tabs, but let's just face it guys.. no matter how obvious and 'in their face' the templates are to find, there will always be those individuals who ignore the important labels or feel as if they can't be bothered to go to the extra effort to do it properly the first time around. Hence, why i say cut the head off the snake before it bites.

It's probably an unpopular suggestion and by all means is not anywhere near the top of the priorities list, although I feel it would make things easier for everyone and especially one less major eye-rolling thorn for staff to deal with.

This one's mostly for you, @Rolle

Please only contributive thoughts on how you're for / against the idea. If against; please give more than a "-1 from me" and state why. 

Roach    1558

Love the idea and I think it would be very useful. This is something I know that can be done as I've seen this before. Can't remember where but I've seen this done for sure. Hopefully, this new website will be just as easy to get it done.

+1

Majoo    650

I like this, it would be nice if people would have preset template when posting report or ban appeal and such in places where templates are needed as you say it would take less time to get what we need to get when not having to ask people who don't use template to use it.

I support this if papa Rolle can get this done I'd be happy :)

Ender    508

Sounds wonderful, this would help a lot on our side. However, I'm not sure if you'd be able to code it to where the template only auto fills for the first post in the report. the rest of the people involved might have to delete the template auto fill before writing their POV which could get annoying. If it is possible to code it to only auto fill when creating the thread then i see no issue with it. +1

Shadows    1020
Posted (edited)

I voted no. Would it be a nice thing? Sure. I'm not against it, but I don't think this is something we need. If they want to make a report and didn't go through the effort of reading the sticky to get the template on their own then that's their fault. They get 24 hours to update it even. The sticky doesn't only have the template, but several guidelines and other things they should know before posting. So preventing them from reading the sticky to get the template just bypasses them from having to read the other information too that they should read.

Once again, I'm not against this, I just don't think this is necessary.

Edited by Shadows

Ark    202

Dont see why this would be a problem.  Is it a necessity no, but it will help the staff team and those people who dont know how to read. 

Strawberry    170

Well, it would make things easier but it does sound like it would take quite some effort but to be honest this does sound worth it. As you mention it does save time so you won't have to have those few posts which dosen't follow the template but then again, it's not something we really need on the new website. It's not hard to follow a template within a section on the forums forexample reports. With that being said, I would still like to see this on the new website but like others have mentioned it's not really necessary.

Saradomin    360

One of the best suggestions I've seen in a long time. It should not be to hard to do if possible (I think)....

It might not be too hard to follow instructions, however some ignore and some just miss it, in the end I think this would save everyone some time.

+1

SmartyyZ    154

This is going to be useful.

+1

Ghoozovich    263

In my experience, people are idiots by default, so anything to make life easier would be helpful for everyone.

+1

Ninja    175

I like the Idea of this, but like @Ender said, Maybe the code may be a bit difficult to get the hang of in terms of responses having the template automatically inserted. Maybe add a tab above that holds the template reading "Copy Thread Template" which allows people to copy the template to their clipboard to instantly paste without having to go back and forth pages.

Either way +1 for me!

Rolle    2471

That sounds nice, I'll see what I can do :D

Phoenix    1065

I Voted No. 
We shouldn't make it easier for people when they should read that kinda crap before posting tbh. If they can't read it's not our problem.

Same goes for Whitelists and stuff. if it was down to me I would archive / delete every single question thread that asks for the passphrase without even answering it, but that's just me and I ain't in charge and that's kind of beyond the topic right now, but the same concept.