Server time: 2017-08-21, 01:04

Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix

Current Issues

Phoenix    1056
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone. 
I was debating on making a thread about this for a while now because I really don't want to cause any more drama in this community but I feel as if a few things need to be addressed.

A while ago, when I was still in the Trust, I had @Elmo message me asking how I thought the community is going lately. 
I told him I thought it was great - because back then I wasn't getting on the forums too much and was mainly playing hidden away doing internal RP with the Trust. I then asked him what he thought and he told me there are a few things that don't seem to be the same. Now, after a decent amount of time away from the Trust, I have been playing a hostile Character and have seen the other side of Ingame Mentalities in this Community. 
Not only that, but I have been getting involved on the Forums more and have been observing others as well as the community in general, Reports, Ban Appeals, etc.

And even though I have been acting like a total Asshole a lot of times lately, collected a few points here and there, I still care about this Community and I care about my friends here that I made and I want this place to keep going for as long as possible.
I don't want to see it go up in flames one day. I love it here and I have had the most fun playing here. Now, enough of me being a softy. Let's get to the actual Point.

I will use this thread to address some Issues I currently have with the way the Community is going and I would like everyone else's Opinion.
I won't go into too much detail and so I will only write a few short sentences regarding each Issue that we can discuss in the comments a little better if the need is there.

Current Problems (My Point of View)
1) The Community doesn't feel very tough. People seem to be wanting to report others a lot more frequent. Others will use any way possible to report others. This Mindset is wrong.
This can be solved if people would talk about Issues with eachother over TeamSpeak and come to a conclusion instead of throwing up Reports or Reporting Posts for flaming. Running to the Staff team crying over things that happened ingame or on the Forums. We need to all grow up a little and not cry about someone's Comment somewhere and we especially don't need to take things that are being said over the Internet to heart.
As @Major told me over PM yesterday: "Sunlight is the best disinfectant." 

2) Ingame Mentality is very odd lately. A lot of people seem to complain about Hostile RP they receive from others. It's always been like that but I simply feel like it has been getting worse and worse progressively lately.
A lot of other people hiding away in their own little safe bubble somewhere, where no other RP will ever get to them. I may have been part of that and would ignore any constructive feedback I received from @Flash & @Elmo and I regret that. Afterall, we come here to encounter RP from others and have a great time playing the game with friends. Whether it's hostile RP or Friendly RP, the RP from others is what matters. If you don't want to encounter anyone else's RP apart from the small group of people in your own little safe bubble, you are only taking up slots on the server for anyone else who wants to come and meet people, Hostile or Friendly. This is where the "Not wanting Hostile RP" Links on as well. But if you so badly want to only rp with your group of friends, why don't you hunker down on some private hive and let the ones that actually want to RP with others have those slots?
I know, anyone can RP the way they want and that is fine. But is it fair on everyone else on the server who can't find other people to RP with because most people are hiding away?

3) The Reports are full and I mean FULL of people running into active firefights, even putting in their POV's that they heard rapid fire and decided to check it out and then get killed and I just honestly roll my eyes and headbang a wall when I read these POV's. Because you ran into an active firefight and got killed, then create a Report and the person that killed you get's banned for invalid Firefight Kill. I am sorry but I just don't get that Logic and it bothers me. I know it's a case by case thing, every verdict is different but when I see those reports being made in the first place, I question the mindset. 

Those are my three major concerns. A lot of little things link onto those 3 Big Issues so those are the main ones to discuss here.
I really don't want this thread to turn into a shit show, so let's use it to be constructive.

I am going to ask you guys exactly the same question that @Elmo asked me a few weeks ago. 
"How do you think the Community is going lately?"

Edited by Phoenix

Voodoo    366

The community has got worse with alot of the problems coming from past staff judgements. Take the tendies thing for instance, points and the content removed would have been enough. Instead staff went over the top and it led to a mass exodus.

As it stands there seems to be a huge number of divides in this community and here are a few of them:

-between community members and staff team

-between heros, bandits and general survivors (many not liking hostilities and reporting for instance)

-between the owner(s) and the rest of the community (how it should be run etc. Basically too stubborn on what they want)

The community has gone from a fun social experience of enjoying a game and making friends using a roleplay setting to a place of social justice warriors that will moan about every little detail they can. It seems this community has become more forum based rather than server based, its become way too complicated compared to the good old days where if you wanted to make radio contact then you would ned to put in effort and speak over TS rather than on a thread.

This then brings me to ingame attitudes where there seems to be alot of internal (possibly scripted) RP rather than dynamic encounters. A majority of the time when me and my group or even just others that i have talked to have taken a hostage its usually they will bad mouth and not RP because they are salty about loosing their gear. This can be seen in the recent report that was up a few weeks ago which led to an invalid kill verdict even though the hostages (which included a staff member) even admitted  giving badRP (for which no punishment occured in the verdict).

This then brings me to the next point, staff abilities particually when it comes to reports. Reports seem rushed and not all the right questions seem to be asked, this is clear when it comes to reports where a member of the community runs into an active firefight and admits it ut then recieves no punishment but the shooter does.

TLDR, Too many SJWs, huge divides all over the place including at senior staff level and at times an inadequately skilled report team that are not asking all the questions and dont seem to be looking at all the evidence they do have in place.

melon21    12

I want to preface this by stating some facts.

- I took a 4 month break from December 2016 to May 2017

- I haven't been apart of any groups since my return

- I haven't encountered any big groups.

The third point is one i want to address first, since it's my main concern. Now you may draw this down to me being in a different timezone than the rest of the server but i think that when im online at 3AM my time, 5pm GMT, and i haven't seen hide nor hair of anyone in stary for about 5 hours then something is wrong. Personally i agree wholeheartedly with what you two have stated above, I just want to let my opinion be heard for once rather than sit in the back of the room wondering what the fuck is actually happening at the front.

I believe that the reason groups are sitting around alone most of the time is gear whoring. Since certain clothes, items and weapons are so painstakingly hard to get most groups when they have those items never bother to interact or attempt to talk to people over fear of losing near days long progress to some fucker in stary with a RAK-73. If this was say back in the arma 2 days then the groups who do this would have no excuse since gear is so easy to come by that nobody really gave a shit, or so im told. But since many of the items people treasure are so rare that people sit around not wanting to lose it.

Rant over, please move along.

brk    1

In my opinion the RP on the server is nowhere near as good as it used to be, but I think that's because people are either too scared to do interesting things as a hostile character for fear of getting a ban, it definitely seems people are out to get you these days.  Along with the lacking content in standalone it really doesn't help for more dynamic situations IG.

This is just what I have picked up on over my few months playing recently compared to the 'old days.'

Beni    685
Posted (edited)

0161, Unban @TheProxJack

Okay so...

I ain't going to lie... There are a lot of issues with the community... I've been apart of a lot of different community's, and all of them have issues. We're not the only ones... But the thing is though, the whole thing about reports. You're right... People seem to be reporting people instead of chatting to them about it OOCLY... If you report someone, you're mad OOCLY. That's a fact. If you talk to them, 1 on 1... The issue can be resolved. Trust me. 

27 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

The community has gone from a fun social experience of enjoying a game and making friends using a roleplay setting to a place of social justice warriors that will moan about every little detail they can.

Okay, Voodoo hit the nail on the fucking nail on the head right there... The Social Justice Warrior thing is an issue, period.... If you're going to complain about everything and anything then don't even look my way... Also, if you're going to have a little cry in bed while watching your favourite downloaded Simpsons episodes over something that happened on an online roleplaying community then... You're a fucking bitch...( This is a joke, Don't take offence on an OOC level please... )  Seriously this is an online community, a lot of you lot are moving so wrong... You're talking like this community is honestly your life at this point... The online person that should be feeling like this is @Rolle because this is something he put time and effort into. Honestly if people actually had a laugh... instead of you know... Crying, you'd have a better time here. 

Also, when people do get in game they moan about being robbed... Like if you're rolling round on your ones with fully kitted out M4'S and shit, bruv what the fuck do you expect? Of course someone is going to rob you... In fact I'd fucking rob you as well. I want your shit, I'm taking your shit. Simple as that. If you want to do something about it, get a crew together and have a firefight every now and then... Like it or not this place does have a PVP part to play to, not just a roleplay side. Funny fact PVP can actually be fun as fuck, if you've never experienced a 10v10 firefight then, you're really missing out... Honestly. 

50 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

3) The Reports are full and I mean FULL of people running into active firefightsly?"

Okay, this one is easily fixed... People need to stop running into firefights thinking they're the Terminator or some shit.... Legit if I'm in a firefight and I see you running with your gun out and I do not see you as a friendly I'm merking you... This is exactly what happens... This is the situation: 

*You hear a firefight in the middle of Kabanino and decide " Hold on, I'm rambo... I'll go and help!!! ". As you're running into Kabanino you get shot down*

giphy.gif

Then they're sitting on their computer making reports about " Firefight KOS, Kabanino S1 " like 

Office-rage-monitor-throw.gif

Seriously what do you expect if you run into and active firefight? 

All I've got to say tbh 

Edited by Beni

InnKinn    17
54 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

1) The Community doesn't feel very tough. People seem to be wanting to report others a lot more frequent. Others will use any way possible to report others. This Mindset is wrong.
This can be solved if people would talk about Issues with eachother over TeamSpeak and come to a conclusion instead of throwing up Reports or Reporting Posts for flaming. Running to the Staff team crying over things that happened ingame or on the Forums. We need to all grow up a little and not cry about someone's Comment somewhere and we especially don't need to take things that are being said over the Internet to heart.

I couldn't agree with this more, the whole point we have an age restriction on DayZRP is so that we can ensure a sensible and mature community.

I think a big problem is that people do get angry at the game easily and it is frustrating when you die, regardless of the circumstances (as made clear from a recent video evidence I posted when I went a lil ragey when I died)

About 2 weeks ago I was misidentified and killed-on-sight, i was getting ready to post my first report until Lyca poked me on TS and brought me into an OOC chat with the party that killed me.

The other player couldn't have been more courteous and apologized for the situation to which I accepted the apology and we left it on a high note.

The fact that people overreact and cry to admins is a problem because it also stirs up OOC hate which isn't healthy for the community at all.

On a last note there are only so many admins, and I'm sure they have much better things to do than sort out childish arguments over things that can easily be sorted out on TS.

Phoenix    1056
14 minutes ago, InnKinn said:

I couldn't agree with this more, the whole point we have an age restriction on DayZRP is so that we can ensure a sensible and mature community.

I think a big problem is that people do get angry at the game easily and it is frustrating when you die, regardless of the circumstances (as made clear from a recent video evidence I posted when I went a lil ragey when I died)

About 2 weeks ago I was misidentified and killed-on-sight, i was getting ready to post my first report until Lyca poked me on TS and brought me into an OOC chat with the party that killed me.

The other player couldn't have been more courteous and apologized for the situation to which I accepted the apology and we left it on a high note.

The fact that people overreact and cry to admins is a problem because it also stirs up OOC hate which isn't healthy for the community at all.

On a last note there are only so many admins, and I'm sure they have much better things to do than sort out childish arguments over things that can easily be sorted out on TS.

One way to solve this is a suggestion for the GM Team
Before going ahead with a Report, why not post as a GM after the OP, allowing enough time to let the OP Cool down (maybe the next day) and ask them if they would like to speak with the accused party over TeamSpeak before the report would be resumed.

@Eagle @Elmo @Jade @Will @Cid @Dusty
This is a suggestion for you guys.
Maybe make it standard procedure to ask this question in the Post where the Logs are pasted but the next day after the report is made in order to let the reporting party cool down. Yes, this would mean a report isn't rushed through but that's IMO not a bad thing.

Just my Penny.

InnKinn    17
3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Before going ahead with a Report, why not post as a GM after the OP, allowing enough time to let the OP Cool down (maybe the next day) and ask them if they would like to speak with the accused party over TeamSpeak before the report would be resumed.

Maybe make it standard procedure to ask this question in the Post where the Logs are pasted but the next day after the report is made in order to let the reporting party cool down. Yes, this would mean a report isn't rushed through but that's IMO not a bad thing.

Just my Penny.

Agreed, I've seen so many heated arguments in reports (I'm a bit of a reports creep so I've seen it all)

These arguments could be easily avoided if the OP has some time to play a bit more, re-gear and RP a bit more (if they don't decide to call it a day/night) so hopefully they'll be in a better state of mind for civilised discussion. :)

Voodoo    366
12 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Just my Penny.

That used to happen, 24 hours was given in order for the OP to talk things out and cool off. Im not sure 100% why this was scrapped but i think it was during the time we had many reports at the start of the SA life cycle and the 24 hour period was just making the reports keep stacking as they were not touched. Aswell as this i think this time frame meant that many questions were not asked so when it came to a verdict things were being missed or forgotten by those involved in the report (accused and OP sides).

Elmo    914

As of late, I've been getting tired. I don't feel the urge I once did to log in to the game anymore and get out there to role-play. I still do it of course but its becoming more of a chore and less of a fun activity, mainly because I encounter the same kind of role-play from all branches of RPers every time I log in. Unoriginality seems to be rife and its demotivating to see; most people, including good friends of mine, seem to be stuck in a rut of playing the same kinds of characters over and over again, resulting in similar interactions which, if I'm being honest, bore the fuck out of me. I just don't see the value in a stagnant world with different faces playing the same tune as the last five characters, which is why its become a difficult task to motivate myself to log in. I'm hoping that the lore-wipe will change all of that but, from the complaints I've seen on the forums and personal experience, I doubt it'll be anything but a short term solution.

Maybe I'm not supposed to say that, maybe I'm meant to be optimistic but, honestly, I've only got so much optimism and its running out quickly.

As for the forums, there are several glaring problems I noticed before I went on my break and since my return to the land of the living. Firstly, when a report is put up involving a particular person/group, there usually seems to be a wave of status updates maligning the opposing party in the report, whether its directly or indirectly, its obvious as all hell and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. We're meant to be a mature role-playing community yet, when it comes to the reports section, we seem to devolve into little children wrestling each other in the sand instead of trying to come to an amicable resolution that doesn't involve people getting banned or pointed. People are taking this far too seriously and seem to have a fondness for the "walk out" mentality rather than the "talk out" approach. The point of having a community is that we talk to each other and treat each other with the respect each and every one of us deserves, yet that seems to be lost on so many new and old faces, sometimes including myself, instead of walking out and dividing ourselves into our little cliques.

Secondly, there appears to be a gulf between the staff team and the rest of the non-staff community in regards to what the community wants and what the senior levels of the staff team wants. I can't speak for any other member of the staff team but I try to bridge that gap where I can with questions like the one I posed to @Phoenix a few weeks ago. Maybe it doesn't lead to much but I like to think its a way for community members to feel personally heard, as opposed to making a thread such as this which is heard by the forums, but maybe not personally heard. I honestly don't know if that's how it works or how it feels, all I can say is that every time I ask the question, I get an unique perspective and, more often than not, something about how I see the community changes.

Despite all of the above, I still have fun here with the good friends I've made. This place has been good to me, allowing me to have nearly 1000 hours of fun in DayZ, being a great stress reliever for the tough year I've put behind me and, most importantly, allowing me to make some really good friends who without a doubt have kept me here time and time again.

Darra    138
Posted (edited)

Perhaps we need an active firefight guide that details what to do and what not to do if you don't want to be accidentally shot and killed.  Because there seems to be a complete lack of common sense and responsibility these days:  Some people watch firefights instead of trying to leave the area, others move in to loot bodies, and still others caught in the middle do nothing to identify themselves as innocent parties.  And when these people get shot and killed, they file salty reports that take up a lot of staff and player time and energy.

Sure, if the last shot was fired 10 or so minutes ago, then yes, participants should ID a target before shooting.  But, it's unrealistic to expect participants in an active firefight to stop and ID each target before taking a shot.  (With that said, if the target has his hands up, don't take the shot.  Participants are not responsibility free either.)   

I'm sorry, but, in RL people get caught in the crossfire and die.  It's a sad truth.  Why should it be any different here?

Edited by Darra

Jack the Ripper    249

Honestly, I haven't spent much time in-game recently, so I haven't seen all of these issues first hand. To be frank, I don't actually plan on getting in-game until after the Lore Wipe, unless it's postponed by a significant amount of time.

That being said, I do see the same issues that most other people do within the community, and it is my hope that the Lore Wipe will allow people to adopt a fresh IG mentality, which will hopefully effect their OOC mentality. But for now, here is my opinion on what needs to change:

1) People should be more open to various forms of RP. This means that passive RPer's should be open to hostile RP and RP that comes outside their group, and hostile RPers should be more open to using varied methods to achieve their goals outside brute force (because to be honest, with the vast majority of groups being hostile, brute force gets old quick). It's a double edged sword: you can't expect one side to compromise if your side is not willing to as well. 

2) I wholeheartedly agree with the "Social Justice Warrior" issue, but there isn't really much of a solution to that (other than people taking a teaspoon of cement and hardening the fuck up). However, that does not mean I am open to groups harassing or low-key flaming other members on the forums. If you really have an issue with someone, or feel like having a good old rant, take it away from the forums. From what I've noticed, the memes thread is still open, so DON'T give anyone a reason to take it away again. (Seriously, I like keeping it.)

3) As people have suggested, people should have to wait a "cool down" period before posting reports. This gives them time to chill, look back on the situation and analyze the actions of the accused vs their own actions to determine whether or not a report is necessary, and it gives them the opportunity to talk things out with the accused party. I also believe that they should wait a few hours before confronting the accused, so that it doesn't just turn into a whinging match.

4) This is more of a personal preference of what I want to see after the Lore Wipe: More people taking their characters life seriously. RPing out injuries, complying better with a captors demands, acting as if they only have ONE life in situations that call for it. There has been a considerable lack of this lately, and I really want the atmosphere of RP to change after the wipe, for the better. And for the love or god, STOP running towards excessive gunfire, because it's probably a firefight. If you get shot because you were being stupid, it's your own damn fault.

I really like this community, and I want to see it improve. So here's to hoping, yeah?

Rebel Pado    284

I have not been that active in the community for a long time and after the dreaded 1st I sat back and thought about going out with all my friends, but in the end I didn't. Because yet again for the third or fourth time I thought I'd give the community another chance but it continues to disappoint (hoping the lore wipe will breath life back into my like for it), we get threads like these once or twice ever month and they do fuck all sadly. I'd like to think its because some higher ups are like I was and just didn't give a damn even after putting so many years into it or even worse they inflict their will were it doesn't need to be inflicted or the worst without warning nor discussion with the community as a whole. Which is all fine @Rolle Its your community you made it we are just privileged to be here (no sarcasm) I have fun here nonetheless and I've made friendships that will last a long time after my time here has come to an end. I just feel sometimes you just are inconsistent with how you feel about how the community should be and then the community that is already some what divided is even more divided due to your seemingly heat of the moment choices.

Waaaaay back in the day when I was a younger man who used to play here on weekends we had a talk about roleplaying and you told me you were upset about the "winning and losing" mindset that there is in the community and at the time I did see it and as it is true that everyone likes winning and no one likes losing and that it is even there today, but then I started finding people who understood this was a game and that they wouldn't have there fun ruined by the shit that happens in a game, lose a firefight? Ah its okay it was fun as fuck. Got Kos'd? Lets go talk to them first maybe we walked into something. Got robbed? Its okay its just a game and I had fun with the rp. Now if people can't win IC they take it to the forums and try to win OOC in the report section instead, then that leads to OOC hate claims and more aids shit no one needs. This is just me ranting I know nothing will change because its hard as fuck to get someone to open there head to new ideas.

Thats kind of my only issue...I'm just going to go back to dicking around on the forums and having fun with my friends I am kinda done worry about this shit wasted to much energy writing this up.

tldr- lets talk about shit as a community before shits decided by a select few.

Rolle    2453

I like these threads.

My 2c :)

1. Community doesn't need to be "tough". There is no need for anyone to have to receive harassment or mockery from other members. If they feel wronged about something because they believe that someone broke the rules that you all abide by then that their right to do so. That's not being SJW, that's helping us enforce the rules that we have and making this community a better place. Regardless of the amount of reports or things that are reported - petty or not - it is the staff team that decides the outcome. If we do not think that someone is breaking the rules then no amount of petty reports will get anyone in trouble. Therefore this point of yours sounds to me like "rule breakers are getting in trouble more often" rather than it being about the reportees doing something wrong.

2. This mentality comes and goes with the amount of active PvP focused players and groups. I am not surprised that people do not like getting stripped from their possessions that they took time to find to customize their character and then it is taken away with 5th torture or interrogation session this week. It gets old and a lot of people are upset about the frequency of these hostile cookie cutter experiences, hence my idea for safe zone. People hiding from hostile RPers with their fancy gear, doing internal group RP only or RPing within the safe zone are still RPing. Just because they're not doing it with randoms in Kabanino doesn't mean it's bad. It's still role play and if that's what they're enjoying then let them.

3. The firefight KoS thing is kind of silly I agree. Nobody who values their life should ever run towards shots unless your group is involved, it doesn't make any sense. Those kind of situations should result in no punishment if it is clear that the person deliberately moved to the firefight area and acted carelessly. However it's not always that obvious and then we gotta use the judgement based on the limited information that we have.

3 hours ago, Voodoo said:

Take the tendies thing for instance, points and the content removed would have been enough.

He got 3 points for the picture as per standard procedure. He was however on final.

20 minutes ago, Rebel Pado said:

It feel sometimes you just are inconsistent with how you feel about how the community should be and then the community that is already some what divided is even more divided due to your seemingly heat of the moment choices.

I think I am fairly consistent? I am a campfire RPer, due to the nature of the game I have had to add rules and rule protections for my people to protect them from KoS, shitty hostile RP and general asshattery. That has always been my goal and objective, so I don't think any of my recent decisions (factions and settlements, safe zone) that contradict too much from that general goal. Also note that DayZRP has never been a democracy, the admin team decides whether or not to change rules, procedures and everything else. Then I myself do side projects (Desolation Soon) and recently little additions to DayZ (again, settlements, safe zone) that I think will contribute the game play positively, while not affecting the general population in a major way. Plus as you know the community is very divided about what direction it should take, so no matter what option would be chosen by me (for example, to add either a KoS zone or a safe zone) one part of the community will be unhappy. That's a difficult thing to balance, so sometimes there are things that benefit some people (kill right sharing distance extended to LoS, allowing to kill hostages if they shit talk back) and sometimes the other people get little something (settlements, now safe zone).

Malet    43

Reading this thread I saw a lot of issues and topics I agree on and many problems have been listed, so I'm gonna keep my thoughts short and seeing that I only recently came back would like to address just one topic: the stale RP.

I had the pleasure to encounter many interesting characters in the last couple of days from various groups, mentalities (hostile/friendly/crazy) and IG-Backgrounds - most of them played by proper RP'ers. I actually expected way worse by reading some of the forum before logging in tbh. But one thing I immediately noticed and kinda made me sad was the absence of certain types of groups or characters. Maybe I just havent met them (Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, for real - please do!) but I miss unique groups like Alcyone with their campus, persons like "Acorn" who dont fit a category but are hilariously inspired or mentalities like fanatical religious prayers (I mean, we basically have judgement day still, right).

Am I blind or have many great ideas disappeared?

P.S.: Sorry it became longer than expected ;)

Rei    19
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Rolle said:

2. This mentality comes and goes with the amount of active PvP focused players and groups. I am not surprised that people do not like getting stripped from their possessions that they took time to find to customize their character and then it is taken away with 5th torture or interrogation session this week. It gets old and a lot of people are upset about the frequency of these hostile cookie cutter experiences, hence my idea for safe zone. People hiding from hostile RPers with their fancy gear, doing internal group RP only or RPing within the safe zone are still RPing. Just because they're not doing it with randoms in Kabanino doesn't mean it's bad. It's still role play and if that's what they're enjoying then let them.

If you want to know why people hide away most of the time @Phoenix, here's a very good explanation by Rolle. You can say you shouldn't care about gear, but I pick the clothing I find and a suitable gun with a fair amount of ammo, it makes my character feel complete and it sucks that everytime I step anywhere near the triangle (the only place where you can find people randomly tbh most of the time) I lose all of it. I don't care if this happens every once in a while, but when I do care, I'll hide with my people and do internal RP with them. That's just the way it is. And when the safe zone is introduced, you bet your ass I'll be "hiding" in there trying to RP. Mind you that I don't think anyone is complaining that there IS hostile RP, but rather the frequency of it. 80-90% of this server are bandit badasses and treeline ninjas. xD

Someone mentioned gear whoring, hostile groups do the exact same thing when they take ALL my gear when I'm being robbed. If I'm not supposed to care about it, then neither can you. Our group does hostile RP too but we don't even loot dead bodies when we need to kill and we give people back their guns after usually, albeit without ammo sometimes.

And if a large part of the community seems to be complaining about the frequency of hostile RP, since a lot of bandits atm feel victimized by this, does that not tell you anything? Try to understand eachother for once.

Edited by Rei

Melvin    84
23 minutes ago, Malet said:

snip

we did lose a bunch of our roleplayers and some of them are the ones who start shit or push storylines all the time so that's not surprising 

Para    191

You want to know one issue? When two sides of the fence demonize each other. People in this community cause a divide between each other.

I'm not a campfire RPer, i don't do campfires, i don't stand around in forests hiding from the more bandit focussed RPers. But nearly every time an issue occurs i'm labelled as a campfire RPer, something that the more PvP focussed players dislike and demonize. People get labelled as a campfire RPer simply for being more passive in their roleplay, and whilst sitting around a campfire might be enjoyable to them this label they receive holds a lot of negative weight. People are labelled this way because they avoid the hostility, they hide out in more remote locations and forests to avoid being taken. This is something smart to do, both IC and OOC it makes sense to avoid this hostility.

On the other side of the fence, some overly passive players label the PvP side as nothing more than people looking to rob, initiate, kill and steal as often as they can. This accusation is often thrown around alongside the hostile RP being poor and un-enjoyable. This is simply not true either. These groups, if you comply, actually give out half decent hostile RP 99% of the time. But the overly passive players hate being initiated on, they see it as a pause or a gap in their RP. An Interruption and thus they demonize the other side. The hostile side to RP isn't a pause in the RP, it's a chance to mix things up and develop your story in a different way.

This divide is huge, and ultimately it's just widening the gap between passive and aggressive roleplayers.

You want more respect between the community? People on these 2 sides of the fence need to stop labelling and targeting the other side with a negative weight. You both enjoy different aspects to RP, both are valid. 

Rebel Pado    284
1 minute ago, Melvin said:

we did lose a bunch of our roleplayers and some of them are the ones who start shit or push storylines all the time so that's not surprising 

shhhh you can't say that Melvin people might realize it then.

I don't think anyone is complaining that hostile RP happens, I think it's the frequency. It happens at least two or three times a day for us. All these groups think they're the only ones doing it, and it doesn't happen 'that often' but when you're on the other side of it. It's none stop, because each group is doing it to you once. Is it realistic to get taken and tortured three times in 2 days? No, it's not, and it gets to be VERY boring for people on the other side of it. Yes there are hostile RPers who do it right, and it's very welcome when they do, providing they're adding tension and some sort of story arch - as well as a story branch for my character to RP after the hostile group has gone. 

When we try to avoid 'hot zones' like the triangle, you say we're HIDING from RP and how dare a so called RPer hide from RP in the corner of a map or in a safe zone?

Oh but if we don't hide... then you're asking to be taken hostage... and it's your own fault for being in an RP zone that is known for PvP.

matusmanis    20
Posted (edited)

One of root problems i seeam is the mindset of way too many people which goes "hell if i die i ll respawn and get back into action"

This branches into many other problems people see like "there are too many/ too agresive bandits" or "hero groups will simply not last and get wiped" and so on.

We have rule stating that if you die you should pretend an injury (i am on the phone so cant link the rule itself will be edited when i get to pc). Yet in last month i have only saw a single injured person.

I get that you do not want to rp beeing injured as its restrictive. But if thats the the case, do not rush into every situation that would probably result into serious/lethal injury you can.

I have never seen a report about this rule either. As much as i am against reporting stuff unless absolutly necesary i believe that a few dozen reports of this would get a lot of people to realize that they shouldnt be having those super regenerative powers..

While it may be dificult to spot player that breaks this rule, it is very easly proved by logs.

This player just died in a firefight 4 hours ago, than he died in another an hourdie ago yet here they are fighting yet another battle?..

Edited by matusmanis

The Traveler    118
Posted (edited)

Personally? I just miss the variety of RP. 

We had:
-Free Medics (A group that would NEVER perform hostile RP, even in dangerous situations, and would give medical attention to any who'd ask)

-Raven Shield Mercs (They were mercs sure... but they actually did contracts that were more interesting than "hunt this guy down" + they set up a pub for crying out loud)

-S-Gru / SVR  (Bandit group that, for the most part unless you were a mouthy shit, only stole military gear from people as they believed civies shouldn't have access to gear that could one day threaten their rule and other such reasons) <--- I stand by this group was my faviroute ever hostile RP group PERIOD! Shout out to all the OG's from this group !

-Lawkeepers (A group I personally led for a while, but was created by another : A group that went round dishing out justice, all wore cowboy hats, but if they could would always keep the bandits or guilty parties alive, would even do trials of guilty parties where they could have a representative come to defend them)

-Cannibals ,Drug Lords, Crime  Bosses, Wandering Trade Companies ect ect

Not everyone was just a type of bandit group, or a type of hero group. There was a lot of grey area, and a lot of interesting people you could meet on your travels. Going outside your safe place in game would not mean a 70-80% chance of being robbed (Hell I'll admit it's that high, and I personally never hang in a settlement for more than an hour / how long it takes to conduct my business there).

I personally hope and pray that when the new lore wipe comes people in big 30 man groups disband, only accept 10 odd people into their new groups, so that way we can get a few more interesting sets of groups come out of said wipe.

So I am going to take the more optimistic approach to these problems. 
I see it less as an unsolvable issue, but more an issue that, if solved the way I just described, would actually be a tonne of fun to do! 

Edited by The Traveler

Cid    332
30 minutes ago, Melvin said:

Poor excuse.  Everyone should be looking to try and push their characters and their groups storylines.  If we lose people that do that and are surrounded by nothing but background characters, people need to start pushing up to the front and start pushing storylines again.  It's not that hard, really.

I love these kind of threads because I love opinions, so here is mine.

Comments on SJW's:  Stop.  In all honesty, I could count the amount of actual SJW's on my hand.  Come this time two or even three years ago if people were acting like general asshats and getting points, people would see it as enforcing the rules and there would be no complaints because... well, those are the rules that you are supposed to abide to in this community.  It's expected of everyone and when people suddenly start getting warned for the rules they are breaking it doesn't make everyone else on the other end of the spectrum SJW's, it makes you a rulebreaker.  Stop using SJW's as an excuse to glorify people breaking rules that have ALWAYS been here in this community and have ALWAYS been enforced.  Nothing has changed on that matter other than the overall outlook of certain community members.  The whole SJW shtick is getting real old real fast, and about 99% of the time I take it as an excuse compared to anything else.

IC Mentality:  This one has been a problem for a while now, at it's a problem that is on both side of the spectrum.  Bandits don't take the time to appreciate passive roleplayers and passive roleplayers don't take the time to appreciate bandit roleplay.  This argument is getting real old real fast, so I'll just repeat what I said in a thread similar to this not that long ago.  Bandits - start valuing your lives.  You aren't a bunch of billy-badasses who are completely immune to showing a lick of fear.  It is entirely possible to lose in a situation, a completely normal thing to do that happens to everyone.  Don't be afraid to lose, don't be afraid to show fear, don't be afraid to have a character story that happens to develop, and most importantly please start valuing your character's life.  That's the most important fucking one.  Passive roleplayers - start valuing your lives.  In such a volatile world, you are also going to lose sometimes.  That means you are bound to be interrupted, your story isn't going to go exactly as planned, you are going to lose your stuff and just because the bandits will sometimes get in your way doesn't mean you can suddenly stop putting your 100% into your roleplay.  Most importantly, please value your lives.  That's the most important fucking one.

To @Phoenix who so kindly tagged me in something, I think it's a perfectly acceptable idea to gather logs and then perhaps close the thread for 24 hours if both parties request it.  I don't think there is a need to halt progress if both parties aren't actually angry, and honestly if things end up getting heated anyways instead of closing the thread for a couple of hours I see no harm in doing a 24 hour close to make sure all anger has - hopefully - dissipated.

I also saw mention of status updates after reports.  Personally, I'd like to warn every single last one of those kind of status reports because people know exactly what they are doing and as someone else has already said, we aren't stupid and we know exactly what you are doing.  It needs to come to a stop, like... yesterday.

Hebee    2230
Posted (edited)

I think the biggest "current issue" is that people take everything so seriously as if it is life or death here. Literally this is a video game and these are forums where outside of them literally nothing that you do matters. Yeah its cool to have pride in a story or something you wrote, or nice to have a fun experience in game but is it really worth all of this annoying bullshit drama that happens all the time. And do not get me wrong, I know I am not drama proof when it comes to this sort of thing however, I do not strive to start it or necessarily continue it, perhaps a meme or something every now and again.  This is why I tend to avoid these threads because no offense to OP and whoever agrees with her (srsly no offense) they are just kind of annoying and accomplish nothing, not due to lack of intent but literally just lack of ability to as this will never be a community ran by the people, rather by the owner and minimally the admins.

Honestly if people just chilled the fuck out, all of this shit I.E. safe zones / sjw's / salt reports / whatever wouldn't really matter as much, sure they can still be annoying, however just maybe we wouldn't all have to post novels in a thread twice a month that gets put up, and just either play if you like it or don't play if you don't like it. I get that everyone has their model idea for how the community should be but I mean come on, this isn't really your community, so it's kind of irrelevant.

I guess my entire PoV is you all give way to many fucks about thing's that you necessarily can't control and never will be able to and should just go with the flow and stop bitching so much maybe because once again, you cannot control the things you bitch about. And rather try to just enjoy the game if you are still able to. 

Edited by Hebee

4 minutes ago, Hebee said:

I guess my entire PoV is you all give way to many fucks about thing's that you necessarily can't control and never will be able to and should just go with the flow and stop bitching so much maybe because once again, you cannot control the things you bitch about. And rather try to just enjoy the game if you are still able to. 

@Rolle is literally implementing something to control 'the things we bitch about'. That's why the rules are here... So the admins can control the server and the experience people are having when they log on. We're literally doing that, and we should be able to discuss how to improve the experience for everyone here, on both sides, and the fact that one side wants everyone to just 'shut up about it' and 'don't play if you don't enjoy it' is quite frankly selfish and disturbing. No one is telling bandits to stop, we're telling them to have their fun - but we'd also like to have OUR fun, which I think is more than fair and does not warrant one group of people being pushed off a server because the hostile RPers are unable and unwilling to compromise to accommodate everyone.