Server time (UTC): 2019-12-12, 15:08 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Mexi

Safe Zone.

Safe Zone Options/ Opinions.  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Mexi said:

Hostile RP when done well furthers RP, whether you agree or not. IF the RP is there to do nothing but provoke actions that would do nothing but cause pvp I'd understand but completely prohibiting those that not only enjoy that type of roleplay but do it damn well is ridiculous. 

I never said it does not further RP. I said some people want to RP differently and the hostile RP prevents/interrupts their attempts at doing so. Again, hostile RP is NOT being prohibited, it's still allowed everywhere on the mainland. All you have to do is not swim to Skalisty.

Just now, Rolle said:

I never said it does not further RP. I said some people want to RP differently and the hostile RP prevents/interrupts their attempts at doing so. Again, hostile RP is NOT being prohibited, it's still allowed everywhere on the mainland. All you have to do is not swim to Skalisty.

You're creating a RP hotspot which will contain a lot of people, if it wasn't going to be a permanent thing I probably wouldn't have even bothered creating the thread because I would have put up with it for however long it would go on for and then go about doing my business. Why does there need to be a place for people to do this RP where rules are needed? They can do exactly the same thing on the mainland without rule protection, they just need to keep their mouths shut on radio chatters about it and then go around looking for more like minded people in an open environment ROLEPLAYING with whoever they come across to find the people who fit their group/ settlement needs, imo this is completely not needed but again, that is my opinion.

Another question; is this going to be put into place permanently?

14 minutes ago, Mexi said:

You're creating a RP hotspot which will contain a lot of people, if it wasn't going to be a permanent thing I probably wouldn't have even bothered creating the thread because I would have put up with it for however long it would go on for and then go about doing my business. Why does there need to be a place for people to do this RP where rules are needed? They can do exactly the same thing on the mainland without rule protection, they just need to keep their mouths shut on radio chatters about it and then go around looking for more like minded people in an open environment ROLEPLAYING with whoever they come across to find the people who fit their group/ settlement needs, imo this is completely not needed but again, that is my opinion.

Another question; is this going to be put into place permanently?

They can't do that because of a few reasons:

1. It is difficult for random strangers and groups who are interested in peaceful RP to just go out there and search for peaceful RP. Hostile RPers can just go to the triangle and most of the time find someone to take hostage and have hostile RP with, so you do not have that problem. You can do the kind of RP you like with any person you meet, peaceful RPer can only do the kind of RP they like with another peaceful RPer and there aren't that many of them nowdays out there due to uncertainty about intentions of others and hostilities being a never ending threat. We want a place where they know they can always go and find the RP they want, just like you have places to go where you can find the RP that you want.

2. Even if a special place for peaceful RPers would be created without any special rules on the mainland, and everyone on radio chatter shut up about it, hostile groups will find the place in no time as its easy targets for them, information is leaked one way or another about things like that. 

SZ will be as permanent as an idea can get. Factions and settlements were also added permanently (as in, without any end date) and now are being withdrawn 6 months later.

7 minutes ago, Rolle said:

They can't do that because of a few reasons:

1. It is difficult for random strangers and groups who are interested in peaceful RP to just go out there and search for peaceful RP. Hostile RPers can just go to the triangle and most of the time find someone to take hostage and have hostile RP with, so you do not have that problem. You can do the kind of RP you like with any person you meet, peaceful RPer can only do the kind of RP they like with another peaceful RPer and there aren't that many of them nowdays out there due to uncertainty about intentions of others and hostilities being a never ending threat. We want a place where they know they can always go and find the RP they want, just like you have places to go where you can find the RP that you want.

If I am able to find hostile RP apparently wherever I want, why can't the people who want "peaceful" RP do the same thing? Honestly the entire seems one sided and unfair. Being uncertain of what will take place is half  of the fun, especially from this place and you're completely removing that factor.
I understand this is your community and all that jazz but why is it that you're taking such huge leaps into something, not taking any consideration, ideas or what we as the community might actually want from this? Not to be rude but we are the ones that have to put up with this rather large addition to the rules and in game playstyle, did the staff team get any say on whether or not they think it'd be the best idea for the community because from those I've spoken to the majority didn't even know it was a thing.

Hostilities build on RP, putting a place like this in game completely removes that fear factor and sense that anything could happen, don't take what I've said above as an attack I actually enjoy playing in the community, I'm concerned just as the rest of the people who have commented are.

Now, I'm a general fan of a Safe Zone. At the start of the outbreak it would make sense since there would be military groups and such trying to preserve society until it all blows over, which OOC'ly we know it won't blow over but IC'ly we don't know that. 

But of course after a certain amount of time the zone will fall. It's only natural. Heck it doesn't even have to be an event to do it, it could just happen randomly when say for example a 30-40 man Bandit team walk in, and take charge and overthrow everything. Those who aren't exposed to the harsh cruel reality will run or fight and die. Obviously there can be hostile RP within the Safe Zone, in fact I encourage but it would be absolutely ridiculous if people just randomly go in and start shooting when the odds are not in their favour. 

And the location of the Safe Zone is just a no from me. An absolute no. Yes I can understand it because you have to actually make an effort to go there for that kind of RP. But it just would be silly to have it on an isolated island. I would suggest the Safe Zone to be somewhere like Severograd, Novo or even Svetlojarsk. Big cities where people can, as I've seen here, meet in dark alleyways for drug deals and other kinds of RP. Plenty of buildings there to call a temporary home and an easy place to store various items via trading, medical items and even an armoury. Sure you can have it all in tents on an isolated island but in terms of RP, people can stumble upon it, get searched, get let in and see what the crack is. Bandits can easily send in people to talk and converse, get a layout of the place to get back out to plan an efficient attack on the Safe Zone for whatever reason.

The Safe Zone CAN open up a lot of RP opportunities, but it won't last forever. Heck I can just imagine, the last strain of hopeful humanity being in the one place they think is safe, only for it to be snatched away from them right before their eyes will be pretty awesome character development.

"Were you there when the Zone fell?"

"Was I? I was right in the middle of it, a barrel to my head telling me to stop dreaming and wake the fuck up, people around me got shot for fighting while those monsters came through and killed everything in their sights.. It's something I never want to witness ever again.."

Shit like that is what's awesome to me. 

I could go more in depth but I'm not sure people would like to hear it.

TL;DR: Safe Zone yes, but for a limited time only to be decided by the community via IC events and genuine RP.

5 minutes ago, Mexi said:

If I am able to find hostile RP apparently wherever I want, why can't the people who want "peaceful" RP do the same thing? Honestly the entire seems one sided and unfair. Being uncertain of what will take place is half  of the fun, especially from this place and you're completely removing that factor.
I understand this is your community and all that jazz but why is it that you're taking such huge leaps into something, not taking any consideration, ideas or what we as the community might actually want from this? Not to be rude but we are the ones that have to put up with this rather large addition to the rules and in game playstyle, did the staff team get any say on whether or not they think it'd be the best idea for the community because from those I've spoken to the majority didn't even know it was a thing.

Hostilities build on RP, putting a place like this in game completely removes that fear factor and sense that anything could happen, don't take what I've said above as an attack I actually enjoy playing in the community, I'm concerned just as the rest of the people who have commented are.

I feel like you're not reading my replies properly, so this will be my last one.

I just explained above why you as hostile RPer can go anywhere and find the RP you want, and why peaceful RPers can't do that.

Staff was not informed of it, nobody was. Same as with Factions and Settlements. I take huge leaps into things because I am passionate about the community and I want it to be fair and accessible to all kinds of RP, not just "Rob People".

Once again and for the last time, if a place like this removed the feat factor for you then the only thing you have to do is not swim to Skalisty. I don't know how to make this any simpler that it already is. I will be responding to more suggestions in my own thread about the SZ.

I am not a very big fan of this for very simple reasons. If i look back at the mod when the trade post was there most people would go to that place, and as a result the rest of the map almost became entirely empty. Which made it quite boring, because as a bandit you had to go every single time to this tradepost wait around at a safe distance where you couldnt get hit by the rules but then by tanks or mortars.  And i can see the same thing happening for a while that ''bandits" just camp and set up their dead traps at the border waiting for people to come. So in my opinion the whole map should be used more instead of just a small area, it will make it feel more dynamic instead of just having one spot for example green mountain where everyone goes to. 

And by adding this spot i think history will repeat it selfs, so almost empty map and one spot overcrowded by people.

Edited by Harry

2 hours ago, Nihoolious said:

If it was all IC I'd be all for it. But as it is presented now, its entirely built on OOC rules and policies and for that reason its a No from me.

But I wanna be able to camp outside and wait for easy loot *coughs* I mean role play 

(this is a joke)

But I wanna be able to camp outside and wait for easy loot *coughs* I mean role play 

Even trough this is a joke I do agree with you and thats how it wil go, and it will also be a gear paradise just like the trade post. Everyone showing of their shiny m4 or whatever.

Edited by Harry

I like the idea, but it seems like a lot of people are against it for a myriad of reasons. Perhaps it could be a safe zone that isn't "open"/active all the time so that there's still a sense of realism? It kind of would make sense with the new lore and all that sets our timeline back, so I'm not wholeheartedly against it. I think Rolle made some good points on how hostile RPers have a sort of place to go to (the Triangle) but there isn't really a place like that for all other kinds of RPers don't really have the same option.

There lies the problem, everyone thinks that hostile RP has to include a robbery. Honestly, everyone can RP anywhere on the map, the fact we're now going to have a segregated area specific for a certain RP style is honestly stupid to me. I plan on roleplaying Russian Military and a small swim won't stop me from giving those I encounter some decent role play they can build off of. I'm sure at one point the community was advertised as a DayZ roleplay community that focuses on both RP and realism.

if anyone has anything else to bring up please do so.

Edited by Mexi

I voted no, mainly due to the fact that the random encounters with friendly RPers will decrease a lot and these encounters are what brings the best RP. I think that RP is something that should happen dynamicly and not that you should have one main hotspot for people to meet up.

As for the people who do not like the ghosting, can you just not get a group of friends and camp the safe zone on both servers if you really want to? 
This is my problem with this rule. It is a rule that allows something that has always been forbidden, however if you want to stop people from using this rule, you still can.

Okey dokey. I voted no but I think the poll could be, erm, re-worked a bit. Thanks for putting this up Mexi, so we could discuss this here and not on another thread.

So we didn't (as an LM team) discuss this with Rolle before hand, this being so-called rule-protected "safe-zones". But he is free to do this stuff at will. Firstly, the LMs are planning on running two early Outbreak military camps or "safe-zones", we didn't plan them with any rule protections in mind at all. The UN camp will be comprised mostly of medical staff, doctors, and a handful of peacekeepers to do just that, keep the peace, resolving disputes near the UN camp, and to kill zeds. They are not going to be going to war with anybody, and if you initiate on them they will comply. They care more about their work and their people than confrontation and conflict. The CDF and auxiliary forces will run their camp as a local base of operations for the surrounding countryside, taking out infected, trading for supplies, issuing quests, and obviously defending the camp from attackers. I would not consider running a camp such as this if we couldn't defend it for a time. If the CDF does well it may move on to a bigger and better locale outside some camp, maybe a town or city. If not, the forces will go into hiding, and as a result this could capsize and split the larger part of the faction off the map. 

We threw around the idea of a grid system (Joffrey's idea) for two large groups e.g. (CDF and Russians) who could go to war over South Zagoria. Let's say that the CDF are based at Balota Airbase, and the Russian troops are at the Vybor Airbase. A predetermined set of grids would be agreed upon by the factions to provide a meaningful measure of land taken. You'd agree OOCly to fight over certain towns, or just make a move on an empty grid to try and get near the enemies base, and they would rush to defend or surrender it. That way, you wouldn't just have a thousand meaningless firefights with one side or the other getting wiped over and over. Each side would have a certain "losses" threshold, and eventually you could fight right up into the enemy's base, and if you kick them out they either downsize or go underground. It isn't perfect but it is an idea for an actual measurable indicator of progress of a war between two factions. 

Quite frankly, a rule-protected safe-zone or trade area makes little sense for the first couple months. If nobody could attack the CDF camp then what are the army guarding it for in the first place? No need for defenses, the civilians that come there are going to do what? Sit in a military base or camp and talk to each other all day?!? The CDF is there for a reason, they have objectives that they are working to complete, and they have lots of things outside the camp they will actively be doing. Maintaining a camp just gives legitimacy to the faction. They are the army after all, and if you attack just go ahead and expect a fight. If we lose then we lose. If we go back and forth over the camp eventually the CDF will move on or reassess. There will be plenty of opportunities to build up and destroy these factions, RU, NATO, CDF, and UN alike. NOBODY is invulnerable, and NATO and CDF won't necessarily be gucci with each other. The vast majority of this will be handled IC, we are planning very little out in advance, except for some really cool open-ended events to get the community involved, we hope people will go back to doing their own events regularly. 

Now back to rule-protected "safe-zones". The most I would go for is some very light rules, but I would want people to be able to attack, but maybe only if they met certain standards. A five man squad is not going to go after a major faction just off the bat. Consequences are key. A cool-down period for attacking some sort of larger safe-zone that is protected by light rules will be in order, but once again this is theoretical. What the LMs have planned can be attacked like normal. If people abuse, break rules, or do anything like that we will handle it. If they come in and get hostile we will "shut that shit down, NO exceptions", but all within the confines of server rules and good hostile RP. If you attack the UN camp they are not going to fight you. 

-Note- Really hoping lots of people try to start little camps, towns or enclaves around the map to spread out the potential trolls, but also to give people who are rule-following community members who want to do more hostile rp a bit more options.

If theres a No-PVP zone then give us a KOS zone. @Rolle

Edited by Shadows

Honestly the safezone idea is fucking stupid in my opinion. The whole idea of the apocalypse is that you aren't safe ANYWAYS, no matter how safe you feel. A lot of people made camps like 101 and got salty when people attacked it. It makes sense for the camp to be attacked. IC, people will want those resources to survive. I get why you're mad, but chill out. Let the players make their own safezones and protect people from dying through RP. Simply adding rules that protect people only RUINS RP. 

Now people are saying maybe this will only possibly be for a bit when the infection first hits. Why not just let people protect the settlements through actual good RP and being mature? Are we REALLY not capable of being mature? 

We've had safe-zones before and it's never really worked out. Most places on the map are abandoned and people -will- hide inside, fearing player interaction even more so.

As my good friend JaredtheJerk once said, we don't need no fuckin' bambi bubble. 

4 hours ago, Major said:

-snip-

I think everything you've written here might be the best course of action. Not too fond of a SZ being implemented.

1 hour ago, reesesaddict said:

A lot of people made camps like 101 and got salty when people attacked it. It makes sense for the camp to be attacked. IC, people will want those resources to survive. I get why you're mad, but chill out.

Quite easy for you to say, since you're not the one running a camp and don't understand how frustrating it is to try and create something and have it raided every two hours. It should say something that no character protected IC camp has survived. Lets just wait and see how it goes before we all oppose the idea; if it fails then it disappears anyway.

Edited by Rei

3 minutes ago, Rei said:

Quite easy for you to say, since you're not the one running a camp and don't understand how frustrating it is to try and create something and have it raided every two hours. It should say something that no character protected IC camp has survived. Lets just wait and see how it goes before we all oppose the idea; if it fails then it disappears anyway.

Yes but to be fair, theres no modding tools, there is no base building. Theres no way for the defenders to actually have an advantage. You just have to be really good at both pvp and rp. Which , most groups don't fit into. Remember that 101, being attacked every day (was not every 2 hours not even close, wouldn't let anyone even come back from NLR in that time so there would be no one there), most of it is done because people refuse to work ic. For example with 101 and the horsemen, plenty of offers were made to stop the war but most of the time we got a fuck off come get us over the radio we are peaceful people. I would like to see in general which camp survived who attempted full out to rp with hostile people and then those hostile people ignored them and continually attacked. If that happens then the hostiles are obviously in the wrong but I haven't seen it happen. 

57 minutes ago, Rei said:

I know how running several camps was and with the right people and the right mindset you can make it last. Undead and others last night discussed that if people would be flexible and make the right agreements and friends and be flexible IC, you can make something last. But if nobody can attack it people will just sit outside the settlement protected by shadow khan invisible rule ninjas and initiate on every soul that leaves.

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Chief said:

I know how running several camps was and with the right people and the right mindset you can make it last. Undead and others last night discussed that if people would be flexible and make the right agreements and friends and be flexible IC, you can make something last. But if nobody can attack it people will just sit outside the settlement protected by shadow khan invisible rule ninjas and initiate on every soul that leaves.

giphy.gif

And that would be within their right. Maybe groups will organically form to fight the treeline ninjas!

7 minutes ago, Rei said:

And that would be within their right. Maybe groups will organically form to fight the treeline ninjas!

Treeline Ninjas. That's a great name for a group :D Thanks!! 

Right, I was going to avoid this topic but there are some thing that I do want to say about this:

Originally I was very against the idea, why? My experience on the matter and also with the amount of times we have tried this. Trade post V.2/V.2 and even an attempt in an another community. I don't like the idea of PVE zones, I never have, but sitting back and really thinking about this I would be more willing if we flesh this out a lot more into a proper concept.

The concept as it stands, sorry Rolle's and no offense but it's poorly written and seems rushed. You didn't communicate with your team beforehand on the matter and left the staff team in quiet a shock in regards to this. I get you are trying to do something what you deem as good for the community...but communication is always key pal.

The next problem is the ambition of the project with the lack of support behind it. You are asking community members to enforce rule's and a PVE zone while not under TOS or any sort of staff communication. I'm sorry...but I would not trust a Mentor or a hand picked community member to run a camp like this without proper badges behind them and responsibility. I don't like that at all. The only way I would even support this if it is run by staff members ONLY. There was a reason why we stopped letting community members from being CTC and CRing on trade post.

2nd: You wish to have this open every day of the week. Being somebody who has done CP'ing and also did his fair share on trade post CTCing back in the day, you can't...it's just impossible to have an effective amount of numbers each day to maintain control, especially with such a large space and lack of tools to support these people. It is a lot harder to gear now while back in TP you could ask Dax to spawn you in jerry cans and be prepared for duties. You can't expect the community to dedicate their time on this and provide their own supplies when they would rather dedicate their time and gear to their story line. It isn't fair on the CR's. Solution to this is simple. Have it open only 2 days a week. So maybe the weekend Saturday/Sunday or Friday/Saturday to make it more attractive for people and something to do, rather than something be there....constantly being managed with thinned out support.

3rd: Realism: Yea......this arguement is a two faced coin..so I really ain't going to go into this one.

Last thing

30 minutes ago, Rei said:

Right, coming from somebody who ran 6 different camps your statement isn't correct. There has been many camps that survived and lived to tell the tale. Stranglandpub, Liskaland, the Irish brothers pub, Desiel plant, Ravens nest, Haven, Novy church (Broken), Altar Castle. This camps survived for nearly half a year while others lastest even longer. Why did they survive? 

Good management. I've been to 101 a few times, I've also went to phoenix's camp, the trusts home on the island and also lets not forget virgil's place back in polona factory. The reason they did not last is because of poor organisation and poor planning. Attacks are going to happen...but if you do little to nothing to prevent them you aren't going to get anywhere with it. The amount of times I walked in, blended into the crowd and stole more than enough gear then was given free shit for lying to them that a theif took their gear I can't count on my fingers. Cr's where not aware of their surroundings, they were not focusing on protecting the camp rather having their chats on TS (I was hidding in one camp for 1 hour and the most RP i saw was 5 OOC chats asking about the football game last night) or simply coursing petty internal drama inside the groups and not communicating with each other when people are near by. CRing is hard, yes...I ain't denying that, needing a dedicated PVE zone so you feel safe isn't contributing to the RP, rather it disillusions you from the situation and what it means to RP out a zombie apocalyptic story.

Long story short: Idea needs tweaking. Only staff should manage the island and be members of the faction, only open on weekend. I see what you are trying to do...but  as it stands its not going to go well from experience. 

P.S:

discoparrot.gifdiscoparrot.gifdiscoparrot.gifdiscoparrot.gifdiscoparrot.gif

Edited by Stagsview

safe zone is a good idea up to a certain point. That point is clearly thrown way the fuck out the window when ghosting out of our little safe space becomes an option that is totally allowed. I think if there is good lore reasons for it to exist, and the rules are tweaked so that nobody gets reported for being "too mean" in the safe zone and nobody can ghost to and from it, I don't have an explicit issue with it.

I must say I like the idea of safe zones. It allows less experienced role players adapt to the community and provides them with a chance to build their RP. I personally wouldn't mind getting a safe zone it will make some role play situations better due to the fact that I am not expecting people who stay quiet to initiate on me (seriously if you are one of the people who stops talking just to set up an initiation please organise it before hand because that shit is getting old). At least with the safe zones I'm not running into people who's only goal is to either rob me or initiate on me to get information that I don't have. Don't get me wrong, hostile RP can be fun but when it happens nine times out of ten people do start to lose their interest and a lot of the times the hostage takers forget that it isn't just them that they have to cater their role play for, they have to ensure that their hostage is enjoying the role play to (and yes the same can be said for hostages and that they have to ensure that the hostage takers find their role play enjoyable).