Server time (UTC): 2019-07-23, 01:38
Sign in to follow this  
Roland

Safe zone discussion

3 hours ago, Rolle said:

That's the thing though I don't understand from the negative replies, it won't affect anyone who doesn't swim to Skalisty. None of the rules would apply until you set your foot on that island. When was the last time you or your group was there? AFAIK the area is completely dead because people gather up north instead.

Everything else in the mainland would remain the same, just like it is now (minus the settlements, which from the sound of it people wanted to be gone anyway). So you should be happy, no? Things stay exactly as they were now, hostile RPers can continue to hostile RP except for that island far away in the south that nobody visited anyway.

And I'm back from my outing, so I can finally reply! :D

Yeah, I will agree with you the Settlements were in theory a good idea but I don't think many people knew how to make a settlement and not abuse said rules. The amount of reports I saw was a bit ridiculous concerning settlements and their enforcement.

I still think the Safe Zone can be a good idea regardless of what people say, the thing is is how to implement it and honestly rules such as ghosting isn't a way to go about it. A whole part of being in a post apocalyptic setting is being prepared to get robbed, attacked and various stuff like that. People will kick up a fuss about this kind of thing you're trying to do Rolle, because that's what people do because you're restricting their roleplay and giving favouritism to another. If they're not allowed to rob or initiate people near the SZ, you're simply restricting that RP, and hell with the ghosting rule you're outright getting rid of it because you're prioritizing the PvE and their gear, and as people here do say you don't need a lot of gear to RP. Overall, yes, there's a whole map to do hostileRP and such, but I just don't like the idea of them not having to go near because they may get pointed. 

Practicality as well is bonkers. Aye you can easily get over to the island, but you're going to have to constantly make a fire to dry yourself so you don't die. I was going to suggest you have a look at the new Castle that was added, big massive walls so you have a border there. Places to scout over. You have different sections and I can imagine the RP that can take place there, including HostileRP. 

When it comes down to it all though it's completely your call Rolle. We're both on the same boat when it comes to RP style but it doesn't mean that you should restrict RP, or favour a particular type of RP by giving exceptions to rules. I don't really know what to add right now. 

Awesome suggestion and not before time. There are some fantastic RP possibilities to be had from befriending someone in the SZ.... luring them out of it and ..... well you know the rest...

Hello, I am Dew. I am one of those "Dickhead Bandits." I myself am not fully against this SZ as long as that ghosting rule isn't a thing. I enjoy my share of peaceful RP. When none of the boys are online I like to wander around alone looking for some fun rp. It's usually pretty fun but people usually take this shit wayyyyy to seriously. At the end of the day, we're just roleplaying on DayZ. If Rolle wants to make a SZ and some people want it go ahead. I'll surely make my way down there and see how it is. 

My main concern is will this SZ always be a thing? Will it die after a few months? It would make sense as the lore keeps moving on the faction that would run the SZ die out.

I was here during the Mod with the trade post and from this safe zone thing i can see pros and cons for the servers using what happened in the Mod.

Pros:

-A hub for RP with trading and improving storylines of characters.

Cons:

-Server population looks terrible as everyone just goes to that one safe space.

As i said i remember the old TP, the servers died because of it with many bandit/hostile groups unable to perform their group goals based on a lack of players roaming the map (I.e. SVR unable to find people in order to carry out directive 4.7). Currently its hard to find people now with a majority of people hiding away because they dont want to come across hostiles and loose the gear, so with a safe zone the servers will be exactly how they are now however there will now be a central hub in which hostile groups can linger to find those leaving (that is until more safe rules are added that means people can ghost in and out which then means there is no point in having a bandit group as the chances of finding people to rob will be 0 as they will just use other server in order to leave without coming into contact). I dont understand how ghosting is allowed, i mean surely there has to be RP in order to gain access to the zone with the official group that runs the place?

That brings me to the next point in this, the official safe zone owners. Now this will be a staff faction i guess which concludes that there will not be enough active members to run the place 24/7 due to staff commitments. Without owners around to monitor and RP the safe zone will either die out or just be exploited constantly without threat of being kicked out.

Im all for a safe zone when the time is right and it has an ever changing lore to the place but the ghosting to and from it should be scrapped in order to add abit of danger in the server. By scrapping the ghosting it would then dramatically increase RP as members will have to group up with others in order to leave safely, ask the camp owners to help them leave safely or work out a strategy in order to get away without being seen by possible hostile threats. With the new trees in place its now much more easier to loose people using the landscape as a weapon.

Now advertising wise (as we all know recruitment is forever needed in order to keep this place functional), many will get bored if every twitch stream/ youtube video only shows a safe zone. Were all human and love to see abit of action from time to time (be honest with yourselfs, you joined after seeing the funny and serious RP aswell as the firefights and robberies from youtubers). Now if 90% of the server population only stays inside the zone content creators looking for some hostile encounters will likely give up with this place and leave which will deminish the amount of advertising going out.

As i said i dont mind a safe zone aslong as its done correctly, in order for DayZRP to work you must have fear and an equal amount of banditry and heroic encounters. DayZ was a game built for random encounters and not knowing what will happen, it was a game designed on whether or not you would trust another random person you met. If the game becomes too safe you loose the core mechanic the game was designed for and if that happens then you might aswell just stop playing and go enjoy playing the sims.

@Rolle tbf I get where you're coming from, but I think there's just a major disconnect between what you want the server to be and what a majority of people want it to be. I understand that it's your server, you can do whatever you want, but making a majority of the active community angry over a major game changing decision can't be worth it.

Unless you get some amazing leadership for the SZ it will just turn into another Camp 101 or GM. Where either no one can come in or no one is there. The only settlement that i remember ever working was The Zbor's Zeleno and that was pretty much it so you need to either replicate that and make it better or just trash the idea.

"Shit talking" or acting hostile towards other players within the safe zone will be treated as baiting, punishable with 3 day ban". This sounds more like a Safe Space then a Safe Zone to me...

Edited by Pepe Jones

I really don't like this at all.
An OOC zone that blocks any form of hostilities with a threat of an immediate ban that isn't appealable, this will not assist anyone but the once who wish to not deal with those pesky bandits.

Personally I don't think it will lead to character development or anything of that sort, just a place where people will go try to buy someones dope m4 with a magnum and constantly pester them for it.

Although that is just my opinion I guess, not necessarily against it but I do not think it will accomplish what it is meant to. 

@Rolle When is the last time you got in game

11 minutes ago, Hebee said:

Personally I don't think it will lead to character development or anything of that sort, just a place where people will go try to buy someones dope m4 with a magnum and constantly pester them for it.

Although that is just my opinion I guess, not necessarily against it but I do not think it will accomplish what it is meant to. 

Lets not forget that a lot of character development (unexpected and unplanned character development) comes from hostile situations as well. Limiting hostile interactions could just limit what we have now into a even bigger fuck fest.

I'm 100% against Prison Island being a Safe Zone, mainly because I have intentions to make a group where that is our base, similar to it is now but revised or completely changed to match and make sense in the new lore.

I like Skalisty Island because of what you said: Less of a swim, it takes around 5 minutes or greater to swim to Austellus (Prison Island), which can get a very large number of newer players killed if they weren't properly prepared for the swim. Secondly, it isn't a very 'safe' place to be, considering there'd logically still be prisoners and prison guards remaining if we're this close from Day 0 of the outbreak. Meaning the good people are paired up with murderers and rapists. Even after the penitentiary has been cleaned out, I imagine it'll hold a lot of foot traffic from people like myself trying to form groups and colonize it due to how generally isolated it is. It's a good idea if you're an independent group due to the isolation, but it's just too out of the way IMO for someone to swim on by and stop for a quick visit. 

Biiig no no with this rule

• No hostile actions may be taken within the safe zone

back on takistan life we had people who would run into safezones all the time to avoid hostilities, i think that it should be corrected to this...

• No hostile actions may be taken within the safe zone unless your hostilities have been moved into the safezone, in which case you must ONLY shoot the target if your sure nobody else will get hurt.

Also I had a discussion with @Joules about safezones and she assured me that it wouldn't be a safezone thats protected by the rules, and that it would be run by the players and that if you wanted to you could essentially go in and destroy it, why has this changed?

asking the loremasters and @Rolle for his opinion

I was thinking the safe zone would be something along the lines of a CDF evac point, or UN at myshkino setting up medical aid. Something within the lore, not like, a safe zone away from everyone. Hopefully with enough interest to the factions, CDF, UN, Russian, it will be good to have "Safe zones" that each of these factions have. And fit within the lore, I.E the start, everyone works together, searching for survivors, family, supplies as food is running low ect. Then the development of the storys with the factions move the safe zone on. I.E CDF and Russians have a conflict with each other due to obvious reasons. UN get pushed away as the bringer of the disease and they get persecuted so people wont go to their camps, Russians and CDF will have Russians and Chernarussians  in their respective camps with other neutral survivors. As they loose hope the groups start to have conflict within, CDF brings out some NAPA nationalists and their is a divide, the camp then looses most of its security and leaves it vulnerable for the russians to attack the CDF due to IC conflicts blah blah blah. A safe zone on an island to me wouldn't work, but if areas are used and the factions and the community accept the lore and try and play a realistic role and develop over the month or so it takes to realize everything is fucked and then we see bandits setting up roadblocks ect ect. Safe zones should adapt and change with the RP, having a set location for it will draw too much attention away from the rest of the map. We need options to get people moving around the map, not sticking to the triangle or skality. 

I think this would work if we had more people playing. Without a safe zone it's hard enough to find the 40/60 people on the server to roleplay with that are sitting somewhere in debug.

Ok, damn. I've just been to Skalisty and that place is huuuuuuge. It's nothing what I remember it being in the mod. Such a huge area will not work as a safe zone. I'm gonna check some other locations then :D 

If they safe zone actually has lore behind it and it is just put on an island I don't think it will conflict that much. But, if it is just there with no sort of lore or backstory to the area being a safe haven then it is just gonna be a place people go to hide behind rules. In my opinion it will probably just turn into a place people go to shit talk cause they can just hide behind the rules and not much actual RP is going to occur there after like the first couple days.

5 minutes ago, Rolle said:

Ok, damn. I've just been to Skalisty and that place is huuuuuuge. It's nothing what I remember it being in the mod. Such a huge area will not work as a safe zone. I'm gonna check some other locations then :D 

Green Mountain is the way forward.

53 minutes ago, Kyle_Jones said:

-snip-

I apologize, I was under the impression Rolle was referring to something we discussed with him. We are doing what you and I talked about with "safe zones" but this whole safe zone discussion is a Rolle thing. We didn't talk to him about it.

30 minutes ago, Rolle said:

Prison Island has a secluded prison and is quite small compared to skalski

Didn't the last major settlement run by a staff faction show that this does not work?

Nothing ever changes around here it seems :D

32 minutes ago, Rolle said:

Eh, don't go to the Prison Island. No pump, zombies spawn... It isn't safe. Maybe try a coastal town? Why not even Bor? I've actually never even heard of anyone or anything try to use Bor as a place to RP at.

7 minutes ago, Hollows said:

Eh, don't go to the Prison Island. No pump, zombies spawn... It isn't safe. Maybe try a coastal town? Why not even Bor? I've actually never even heard of anyone or anything try to use Bor as a place to RP at.

It's safer than most and not in the center of the map. water is easy to get if people are up for the task and infected are lesser then they are in major cities due to its isolation.

Dehydration is the silent killer. Not to mention the groups of people that'll already go to settle on the Island like myself. It's isolated, which means you've got to go completely out of your way to get there. You have to have the physical endurance and ability to swim easily over 500 meters in frigid, icy cold waters and survive possible hypothermia to 'check it out'. Unless you've got a row boat, good luck.

There's plenty of isolated areas all over South Zagoria. Hell, there are several towns that receive almost no foot traffic. Not to mention the other island is similar in everything. I don't think size would be a bad thing, it allows people to set up different camps and groups within the Safe Zone to keep their privacy. You go to Prison Island and handle about 12+ people. You can't hear shit, unless you're a text RPer.

That and I will shoot you. It's mine. I own the deed.

6 hours ago, Undead said:

-Snickt-

I understand the basis of your argument, but I disagree with it. It's not everyone else's job to be targets for you. Yes, I know that's a major over simplification of what you meant, but to me that's what it comes off as at first glance. Hostile RP is not going to vanish because of this, and everyone won't be sheltered away on Skalisty (if they were, I imagine @Rolle would change it real fast as that would be detrimental to the community as a whole, some conflict is needed after all). Even if all the goody goody campfire people were to sit around on Skalisty, what's stopping you from targetting other bandit groups? Hell, they'll probably provide bigger challenges in the PvP aspect of being a bad guy, and you might actually get challenged more consistently. Judging from the people who seem almost angered by this addition to the community, I'd even wager that you'll see none to few of them ever going anywhere near the SZ. Plenty of targets, just not the ones who want nothing more than to sit around and chat in character, and let's be real, those are hardly the best victims to find for some good ol' bad dude RP anyway since they really don't want to be there.

6 hours ago, TheMatt924 said:

-Snizzip-

You're using a false premise here, Matt. Skalisty won't be housing everyone on the server. As I've mentioned a few times now, even if all the good guys went there (they won't), you'll still have all the other bandit players to do hostile RP with. No one is forcing you to go to Skalisty. You won't have to go to Skalisty to meet people. You can still do everything you're doing now, you just can't do it on Skalisty. One island out of the entire map.

5 hours ago, Ron said:

Now I don't see how for example two archenemies / hostile groups run into each other in the safe zone and suddenly show friendly ... even neutral behavior towards each other.

I know this wasn't a response to me, but I'd like to draw a parallel to another RPG I used to play online (Neverwinter Nights). That server had cities in which you couldn't attack other players, and while you could certainly slaughter your way through people when no DM was around, you'd be breaking the rules and earn a ban. Obviously they had DM Tools and a server that allowed them to place guards in those cities, but when a level 30 wizard with the ability to stop time and murder everyone around him decides to kill people, he fucking kills people, so those 4-6 guards that were there for show couldn't really do shit (until they turned them into unkillable monsters). The ruling then became that there were in fact several guards everywhere, but due to server loads they simply weren't there on our screens. Which finally brings me to my point!
Simply accept that the SZ is a place held by a group so powerful that no gathering of bandit groups could ever dream of taking it. Accept that as the lore, and it makes perfect sense why groups X and Y are standing there, all enemylike and badass without doing a damn thing; They know they'll die if they break the rules, and no one wants to die.

That's how simple it is to me, and could be for everyone. All it takes is accepting it and going about RP as usual.

1 minute ago, Hollows said:

That and I will shoot you. It's mine. I own the deed.

Prison Island is accounted for then, gotcha ;)

What do you think about the new Castle that's been added? I recommended it in a previous post but do you think a small Safe Zone could work there? It's not far from military locations and a town with a pump, so supply routes could be made to get water to civvies and such and weapons for whatever reason.

Heck, what does everyone think about the New Castle being the new Safe Zone?