Server time: 2017-08-23, 21:38

Sign in to follow this  
Rolle

Safe zone discussion

Otter    104
Posted (edited)

Alright, so I guess I need to put some more effort into my post so it doesn't get deleted.

1. The ghosting rule is awful. Being able to switch servers to avoid rp is wrong. If someone is trying to avoid getting camped coming into our out of the safespace it goes against the whole reason we are playing this game.
  2. "Shit talking" Are you saying that we can't have any kind of harsh words with another player? 
  3. This safespace is going to be enforced only through rules and without an rp reason not to do these things?
  4. What kind of ship is this that this will come out with no warning and without any kind of input about a big change like this?

Those are my concerns and questions. 

Edited by Otter

Buddy    861

If you're going to toss between the two of those islands I agree wholeheartedly that VOIP would be a nightmare for a large number of individuals on prison island vs skaisty. Also there is the fact that UNLIKE prison island, Skalisty actually has a water pump so there is the potential for people to actually go there for extended stays and not have to worry about dying of dehydration.

Otter    104
1 minute ago, RedSky said:

-snip-  "it opens up roleplay for both bandits and survivors."

The problem is that you can avoid any kind of rp approaching, or leaving the safespace by ghosting in legally. 

Undead    247
Posted (edited)

I'm all about creating a new RHM or group for defending it. (Like haven because haven was awesome). But all these rules are ridiculously unneeded. I mean but i guess that no comments will stop it from happening I will refrain from putting the work in point to point. But I mean when tons of your staff team have a problem with it and a large part of the community it seems a bit ridiculous.

This seems to be the opposite of not adding more rules to have to pay attention to now. Most of these rules you stated seem as though they should be player enforced rules not rule enforced. This all seems so so unnecessary. I hope that this post wont get removed as it's not one of those (shit idea fuck off posts) I just really want to see the server and community go places and these rules seem like really are really really limiting. Everyone i've talked to so far is against it and i'm not talking about my pvp scum friends.

From campfire rp'ers to bandits, people don't like this. Shit you LM didn't even know this was gonna happen . When your loremaster team is being blindsided, in something that is greatly going to affect the lore on the server it gives me serious doubts on how it will turn out. 

Rolle, as much as I shitpost, and I call people out , and I act like an idiot (a lot of the time), I do want to see the community be popular, and have a playerbase. Because i've been playing here for a long time and I still enjoy it and I want to continue to enjoy it. But i'm telling you from a players perspective, this stuff isn't necessary. Get a group to enforce these things ic, get them to actually RP with other groups.

Work it out ic and then sort out ooc things as they come. If you need more rules add more rules. But don't just slap on the rules and see how it plays out. Please , pleasee talk to your admin team, talk to your LM team, talk to staff, talk to your community. This is my opinion as much as it doesn't matter. I'm writing this at 4:50 am so excuse any shitty grammar etc.

Edited by Undead

RedSky    123
Just now, Otter said:

The problem is that you can avoid any kind of rp approaching, or leaving the safespace by ghosting in legally. 

I know I dont agree with the ghosting but I dont think anybody agrees with the 'ghosting', @Rolle I am all for the idea of a safezone or atleast give it a shot but wouldnt it be smarter to not allow things that are currently against the rules?

Rolle    2471
1 minute ago, Otter said:

Alright, so I guess I need to put some more effort into my post so it doesn't get deleted.

1. The ghosting rule is awful. Being able to switch servers to avoid rp is wrong. If someone is trying to avoid getting camped coming into our out of the safespace it goes against the whole reason we are playing this game.
  2. "Shit talking" Are you saying that we can't have any kind of harsh words with another player? 
  3. This safespace is going to be enforced only through rules and without an rp reason not to do these things?
  4. What kind of ship is this that this will come out with no warning and without any kind of input about a big change like this?

Those are my concerns and questions. 

1. It's not ideal no, that's why I wrote that "I don't see any other way" and was asking for any other options.

2. Nothing that would cause someone to initiate on you if it happened outside the SZ.

3. There will be faction owners and a story, so it will all make sense IC.

4. DayZRP :)

2 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I'm going to get hell for saying this but green mountain was and will always be a perfect place. Swimming is horrible IMO, and it will kill the mood of people to move there. But a safe zone on green mountain and that means you put people close to loot for trading and clear defined risk to go there due to open fields. that gives bandits the possibility to set up checkpoints and a clear reason for a staff faction to give protection. it opens up roleplay for both bandits and survivors.

Just my idea.

That is not ideal, because of the proximity to major loot spots and popular hostile areas around the map. It will cause too much traffic to and from the safe zone. If it's somewhere remote there will be less traffic to it and players will have to travel more to get there (which is good, we don't want people to sit in SZ 24/7).

Chaostica    143
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if Ghosting would be needed? Having resided in the area it can get pretty thick with fog mid day making it extremely hard to see beyond the shore, also nighttime makes it hard to see as well. I think it would be a better and more realistic idea to plan to move on and off the island during those times rather then ghosting. Would there be any kind of rule about how long a person can impose on the island though? I'm fearing there'll be people who go there and won't want to leave. 

All in all I love the idea of having at least ONE spot that would allow people to develop story line's and characters.

P.S. I have video if your interested on just how heavy that fog can get if interested.

Edited by Chaostica
addition

Otter    104
3 minutes ago, Rolle said:

3. There will be faction owners and a story, so it will all make sense IC.

Why aren't they just defending the place with rp, hostile or otherwise?

Nihoolious    1122

I'm not sure where to start. All I can say is this is exactly what I was worried would happen.

I am fine with settlements, even large ones run by lore factions. I'm fine with having an overpowered settlement run by a dedicated group of people so long as its all done IC. This is a purely OOC installation. I do not think going full PvE is the way to go here Rolle. We shouldn't, no, we don't need to resort to an extreme like this. We have a lot of people excited for the lore wipe that have been hyping it up for months now. These people are all going to try and reexpereince the game with this fresh start and would be more than willing to help run a lore settlement. These people are going to be dedicated, in large numbers and ready establish the stories they want to play out. With the way you have presented the idea now, there is no point in having manpower when you have the rules.

Banning hostile action within the camp is one thing. I'd rather it be dealt with by the settlement owners themselves then outright allowing it but it wouldn't be the end of the world having it prohibited inside the area. Same goes for people running into the zone in order to avoid hostilities, that was one of the good things about the mod trade post. But banning people for 3-5 days for "shit-talking" or being involved in any conflict at all in the safe zone? An OOC blacklist of people who aren't allowed inside not because of IC consequences but OOC reasoning? Where is the role play in that? And the whats the point of not allowing people to run into the safe zone to avoid hostile consequences if they can just log in and out of it avoiding any conflict entirely for as long as they want? If you aren't allowing one, don't allow the other.

I don't think this is going to be a well liked idea. In fact I think it will be the opposite. But if you are deadset on having it be a thing still, at least keep it on one of the two islands. At least people can avoid it easily that way.

Rolle    2471
3 minutes ago, Otter said:

Why aren't they just defending the place with rp, hostile or otherwise?

Because there aren't enough staff members to do so and we don't have time to do so 24/7. And it would end up just like the current settlements, with people burned out from constant attacks and people fucking around.

5 minutes ago, Chief said:

Uhhh I wasn't even informed about this?

So uhh what am I just going to write lore for another faction? 

... I am at a loss.

SZ is my project, I will "hook up" to your Lore and get it done myself. Like I wrote, it will branch off from your official lore and will not affect it :)

3 minutes ago, Nihoolious said:

keep it on one of the two islands. At least people can avoid it easily that way.

That's the idea, people who don't like it still have the entire map for themselves.

Otter    104
Just now, Rolle said:

Because there aren't enough staff members to do so and we don't have time to do so 24/7. And it would end up just like the current settlements, with people burned out from constant attacks and people fucking around.

Why is that a bad thing? That is RP, the whole reason we are here. 

Undead    247
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rolle said:

SZ is my project, I will "hook up" to your Lore and get it done myself. Like I wrote, it will branch off from your official lore and will not affect it :)

But like what current settlements were liked that? 

Camp 101- Attacked constantly for like two weeks because they refused to work with anyone ic and just fought

outrun- Made enemies with bandit groups got attacked a few times. Negotiations were made and eventually peace was found through hostage exchanges and torturing. Cause of attacks was because they hired a security force called the coyotes that pissed off other bandit groups

ffl- Held kab as their settlement for how long, having plenty of good rp in the town and making it into a hotspot. Plenty of these places can have perfectly fine security and can work with people ic to enforce these things.

and as to the 24/7 thing, if we goto this place at 2am there will still be no people there. Just a magical force field of smiting ya know. Idk. I don't get it. I respect that you can do it if you want, but as a player I don't understand the necessity. 

Edited by Undead

Chief    598
54 minutes ago, Rolle said:

Why didn't you just tell us earlier so we could implement this into the lore rather than throwing this on us? The factions in the past that ran some areas well without some ridiculous rule force field. I DO NOT see this going well Rolle, AT ALL. 

2 minutes ago, Undead said:

-snip-

ffl- Held kab as their settlement for how long, having plenty of good rp in the town and making it into a hotspot. Plenty of these places can have perfectly fine security and can work with people ic to enforce these things.

^ I've been to kab before when no one really held it but it was a high traffic area, this was a few months ago, and it gave some of the best rp experience. I'd love to see kab as the SZ

Rolle    2471
1 minute ago, Otter said:

Different people want to have different RP experiences. Some people do not enjoy constant initiations and firefights (myself included, probably the reason I don't play very often), this is to allow these people to play the way they want to play without affecting those who want to continue to have fights in Stary or Kab.

3 minutes ago, Undead said:

But like what current settlements were liked that? 

Camp 101- Attacked constantly for like two weeks because they refused to work with anyone ic and just fought

outrun- Made enemies with bandit groups got attacked a few times. Negotiations were made and eventually peace was found through hostage exchanges and torturing. Cause of attacks was because they hired a security force called the coyotes that pissed off other bandit groups

Current settlements are only a small fraction of all that were approved. Majority of those that shut down was because it was too much pressure from other groups.

RedSky    123
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Otter said:

Dont get me wrong @Otter I understand your point, but as from someone who expierenced the NA on the defending side. once a settlement gains traction. It's almost 24 7 attacks I remember very well that there was one day that we got attacked 7 times by 7 different parties. The NLR timer didnt even expire for me in most of them so I couldnt even go and help. that is scratching the fact you needed to go gear up every time, and run back. It can be quite a tiring thing. if one party attacked every so many times great! but history has taught me that people run to settlements for easy robberies. Nobody can keep that up cause for the settlement owners it would turn in to PVP 247 no longer RP.

I am not for making a settlement a full on safezone but.... I dont think its bad to limit the amount of times one can be attacked if you get my drift?

Edited by RedSky

Rolle    2471
1 minute ago, Chief said:

Why didn't you just tell us earlier so we could implement this into the lore rather than throwing this on us? The factions in the past that ran some areas well without some ridiculous rule force field. I DO NOT see this going well Rolle, AT ALL. 

Throwing what on you? I just said I will take care of this, you don't have to do anything in regards to SZ if you don't want to. :)

Otter    104
Just now, Rolle said:

Different people want to have different RP experiences. Some people do not enjoy constant initiations and firefights (myself included, probably the reason I don't play very often), this is to allow these people to play the way they want to play without affecting those who want to continue to have fights in Stary or Kab.

If people want a safe place to rp, why are they rp'ing on a post apocalyptic survival simulator. This is a wasteland where cannibalism is regular and torture happens all the time. If people need a safe place to rp, they are fail rp'ing by living in their bubble and not seeing the real world. This would be fine if it was something they were doing IC, but this kind of behaviour (turtling up) is unnatural and should not only not be endorsed, but should be discouraged. 

Undead    247
Posted (edited)

I can totally get behind a limit per day etc etc. That's fine. Give time for the guards to regain gear ic, wait out nlr timers, and  go back to their positions that's totally viable. A magical safe zone of smiting is not fun imo.  Community meeting Chief's Cantina ?? :D??? :D??

Edited by Undead

Chief    598

If we postpone the wipe until we have base building in .63 (like you had been preaching about) and do it like they did with crows nest etc. 

To quote undead earlier tonight in TS "If you have a well built base and a few men you can defend any base."

You can do this and not piss off the community. Wait, we have waited this long we can wait longer.

Rolle    2471
Just now, Otter said:

If people want a safe place to rp, why are they rp'ing on a post apocalyptic survival simulator. This is a wasteland where cannibalism is regular and torture happens all the time. If people need a safe place to rp, they are fail rp'ing by living in their bubble and not seeing the real world. This would be fine if it was something they were doing IC, but this kind of behaviour (turtling up) is unnatural and should not only not be endorsed, but should be discouraged. 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. Just because this is DayZ doesn't mean it has to be 100% of the time gory, unforgiving, hardcore PvP survival game. For that experience I recommend playing on public servers. On DayZRP we are supposed to role play and that role play takes many different forms. Just look at the mod that a lot of people consider golden age of DayZRP, we used to have A LOT of PvP back then, but we also had settlements and safe zones and silly events that didn't make any sense to have in a post-apocalyptic setting (rave parties, lol) and people still enjoyed these :) It was unrealistic and unnatural as fuck, but people still attended and had fun. DayZRP is not to make things ultra-realistic, I don't think we've ever claimed that to be the goal.