Server time (UTC): 2019-12-13, 06:33 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Furlean

Gagging restrained players

Should hostile players be able to gag restrained players?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am personally against gagging, (I am also against running your mouth till you die like a moron but that is another story.) But as far as I am concerned, gagging is just an RP way to stop all further RP. So why should we allow it here? I know you say "No more than 15 minutes" but that is a hell of a long time to sit there and do nothing, or just walk in silence. 

I have experience with that, it was a report I put up a long time ago where I was gagged for extensive amounts of time. At least a bullet leaves the hostage able to carry on his merry way from the coast rather than sitting in awkward silence. 

Are kids actually doing that now? Ok then.

If we're trying to go for a realistic type of hostage situation, I would feel that gagging a hostage would probably be the right thing to do. That's just my opinion though, and i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so. 

I don't see this going over well as a "rule". I have done this in RP but the person gave permission for gagging to happen. This can already be done at the discretion of the hostages and their captors. If you don't like someone mouthing off then tell em to stop, but don't limit their RP or else you are ruining their experience and how they want to RP the character.

I'm going to first of all link this thread because it relates to this immensely. Thank you @Tony

We are trying to roleplay a realistic apocalypse. When you are a hostage, you aren't in control of yourself, the other person holding the gun is in control in both a realistic sense AND in our rules. You don't want to be gagged? Too fucking bad. You can STILL RP. You just can't TALK. There is a difference people. RP includes emoting. Your emotes can change the situation drastically, it doesn't have to be words. You can emote crying which might swing the person holding the gun's emotions to let you go. Obviously that's hypothetical, but it's possible. 

Also, you shouldn't have to GIVE permission to be gagged. It doesn't fucking matter whether or not you're gagged in the eyes of the hostage. If you're not gagged and you talk when you shouldn't talk the person with the gun will just shoot you. If you don't talk, why does it matter whether or not it's because you got gagged? Just so you have the freedom to disobey the person holding a gun? That seems pretty stupid. Along with that, let's say you escape the situation. Isn't it easy to just remove the gag from your mouth? 

People, as Tony has said, remove this fucking invisible barrier and allow immersive and realistic RP. That's what you're here for, right?

9 hours ago, Mexi said:

No, simply because it cuts off RP for the person gagged.

Not true. You CAN RP. You just can't TALK. The person should not be talking if the person holding the gun wants them quiet, that's NVFL. There are plenty of other ways to RP. You can emote a struggle, you can emote trying to wiggle, you can emote starring at the weapon, perhaps waiting for a chance to break out, you emote grunting. MAYBE YOU CAN EMOTE TRYING TO CHEW THROUGH THE GAG. THAT WOULD BRING UP RP! There are SO many ways of bringing up good RP without talking, and you being a great RPer would know that. Don't let there be the invisible barrier. 

Edited by reesesaddict

24 minutes ago, reesesaddict said:

I'm going to first of all link this thread because it relates to this immensely. Thank you @Tony

We are trying to roleplay a realistic apocalypse. When you are a hostage, you aren't in control of yourself, the other person holding the gun is in control in both a realistic sense AND in our rules. You don't want to be gagged? Too fucking bad. You can STILL RP. You just can't TALK. There is a difference people. RP includes emoting. Your emotes can change the situation drastically, it doesn't have to be words. You can emote crying which might swing the person holding the gun's emotions to let you go. Obviously that's hypothetical, but it's possible. 

Also, you shouldn't have to GIVE permission to be gagged. It doesn't fucking matter whether or not you're gagged in the eyes of the hostage. If you're not gagged and you talk when you shouldn't talk the person with the gun will just shoot you. If you don't talk, why does it matter whether or not it's because you got gagged? Just so you have the freedom to disobey the person holding a gun? That seems pretty stupid. Along with that, let's say you escape the situation. Isn't it easy to just remove the gag from your mouth? 

People, as Tony has said, remove this fucking invisible barrier and allow immersive and realistic RP. That's what you're here for, right?

Not true. You CAN RP. You just can't TALK. The person should not be talking if the person holding the gun wants them quiet, that's NVFL. There are plenty of other ways to RP. You can emote a struggle, you can emote trying to wiggle, you can emote starring at the weapon, perhaps waiting for a chance to break out, you emote grunting. MAYBE YOU CAN EMOTE TRYING TO CHEW THROUGH THE GAG. THAT WOULD BRING UP RP! There are SO many ways of bringing up good RP without talking, and you being a great RPer would know that. Don't let there be the invisible barrier. 

Shit kid... preach. I can't say a thing you didn't already do.

My thoughts are already known. Realism over everything. I hate that barrier but nothing I say is gonna change people's reliance on it. Power gaming here is completely different to other platforms for all the wrong reasons, but despite my disagreement I agreed to abide the day I whitelisted, so unless the rules change all we can do is this... speak out.

Edited by Tony

Bruh

I've gagged hostages before with a sock because they wouldn't stop talking shit. Nothing wrong with it, just "When you're ready to talk, start makin some noise" Is how I RP'd it out with a stubborn hostage in the past. Anything can be RP'd out well with the right person.

6 hours ago, Jack Allen said:

If we're trying to go for a realistic type of hostage situation, I would feel that gagging a hostage would probably be the right thing to do. That's just my opinion though, and i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so. 

Agreed.

I'm in favor of gagging, I've done it before as kind of a safety ordeal to prevent a salty prisoner while a Regulator for talking themselves into an execution with their sour mouth and disobedience. There isn't anything wrong it it IMO. Sure, in some situations it can cut off the RP but if I have you hostage, you're my bitch. I own you for the duration of your capture, you have no rights.

No. If you don't want to hear a hostage talking, don't take hostages.

52 minutes ago, Hollows said:

I own you for the duration of your capture, you have no rights.

A substantial amount of the rules say otherwise.

I was gagged by Hollows when I was a prisoner with the Regulators because I was biting people.

Didn't make bad RP since you can still interact. I was even gagged and in a straightjacket. It made good RP and you can still groan and emote things. I think its perfectly fine when RP it out in the right way.

15 minutes ago, FiftyFootAnt said:

RolePlaying as if you are protected by an invisible set of rules is indeed RulePlaying.

Hostages don't have any rights aside for you to keep them alive and not suffering from hypothermia. Their welfare is dependent on the situation at hand. Ergo, they've got no rights but the ones you grant them.

Secondly, I don't see the issue with gagging someone.  RolePlay doesn't always have to be vocal, if you find yourself to be gagged, then emote something out. Like you attempting to spit it out, or fidgeting around. In most situations I've been apart of, we've only had to gag people to prevent them from getting themselves killed because they let their alligator mouth overload their humming bird ass. I can see it being a problem to immediately gag a compliant and not silver-tongued hostage to minimize RolePlay, but that is an entirely case-by-case situation.

To be honest I thought it was a fun experience and it made totally IC sense that you gagged me after I bit one of your guards.

So I don't really see a problem since you just have to think as a hostage what you can emote now. I think there is no problem. It just has to be RP out right.

I actually agree with Lyca!

I was a prisoner as well and I honestly loved the roleplay from them. I was also gagged, put in a straitjacket, and tied to a bed. But I still was able to roleplay and people seemed to enjoy it. They never asked me if they could, and I found it fun and enjoyable. It honestly really depends on the situation at hand, and if the rp calls for it. In this case it did. Because my character was being a bit noisy and Hollows didn't like it. T_T

Back when I was a poor soul who just joined. 

But yeah. You're forcing an effect on someone and removing their ability to talk ingame. If they have an option to spit it out, sure, but permission OOC should ask. I don't feel the need to change anything in the rules about it. 

I tend to //Do i succeed? for alot of my actions, wether that be frisking, gagging, searching, anything. Most people will accept as its in the heart of RP, and the ones who dont, are usually the people who you just avoid like the plauge. They tend to be in it for one or two things only.

Plain and simple: It's NOT a permanent effect you're forcing upon someone, and should NOT be considered power-gaming. We don't need permission to punch hostages (even though it has a chance to insta-kill them) so why should we need permission to gag them? They can still RP, they can still be irritating even if they they can only make muffled noises, hell they can spit the damn thing out if they want.

Shooting someone for talking shit makes next to no sense. It's the lazy and uncreative-mans way of "getting a point across." They're hardly going to perma-death to being shot for talking shit so what's the point? It just ends the RP. Gag them, beat them, humiliate them, and if they still don't get the point, if they're really showing no attempt to RP in kind, if they're really showing NVFL, THEN kill them.

Gagging without having to ask for permission opens up more options for dealing with mouthy hostages rather than killing them.

22 hours ago, Aiko said:

MOSHI MOSHI! ADMIN WEEB AIKO HERE TO GIVE HER OPINION!

Just popping in to say 

please stop

On the main topic yeah I pretty much agree with everyone else, gagging seems like a thing you can do with valid reasoning and/or ask permission to do. 

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just popping in to say 

please stop

I agree.

Also, yeah to be honest if I gag someone then, well... to be honest I ain't gonna gag someone, I mean fair enough I know there are some kinky fuckers in this community, but don't bring that shit IG.... I'm joking.

Nah to be honest, if you wanna gag someone, then gag em... As long as you can keep the roleplay going so they enjoy it. 

Edited by Beni

Just for the love of god, don't gag someone, ask them a question that can't be answered with a yes or no response, and then shoot them for non compliance because they didn't answer your question. I wanna get that out there right now I will come down on you like a ton of bricks if someone does something that stupid.

4 minutes ago, Oliv said:

I will come down on you like a ton of bricks if someone does something that stupid.

Mate, I did Level 1 Brick Laying in college... Fucking try me. Real talk you give me a tone of bricks you'll come out with a new fireplace.

That was a joke ^. 

Nah, I honestly think gagging is fine as long as it's good RP. Like, being tortured with a gag on could be cool.... I suppose it varies from situation to situation, for example my group works in the sex slave trade, and we use burlap to blind them and stuff, I suppose gagging them could also work in that situation.

Personally, I think it varies from situation to situation.

Edited by Beni

Simple, it will give hostage takers an excuse as to why they don't wanna listen to their hostage's roleplay. 

"Dude I was just roleplaying, we didn't want him to scream for help..." 

Edited by Coreena

On 6/15/2017 at 3:23 PM, Strawberry said:

I'm pretty sure you don't need permission to gag someone as it's not a permanent damage to your character. I can't see how it's considered powergaming either, as long as it's roleplayed out you can gag whoever you want.

Erm...Actually you do. But it all depends on wording While you are not forcing a permanent act on somebody you are restricting them beyond gameplay mechanic abilities. While if I was staff I'd be more leaning to a verbal and analyze the situation as this wouldn't be a black and white rule. For example:

If I was to type: ::Tries to gag the man with a rag, sticking it into his mouth, trying to stop him from talking::

This wouldn't be powergaming. Why? Because you provide choice for the player. You give the player options to either play along with the gagging or rather not giving the hostage a chance to do this:

::Spits out the rag onto the floor as the man attempts to gag him::

Now, if the initiator was to do something like this:

::Forces a rag into the mans mouth, jamming it in leaving no way he can spit it out or talk with it inside his mouth::

This is powergaming. You are now restricting the player and forcing something that is not able within the game mechanics. It's all about providing choice and consent. However if the person gave you permission before to gag him...you really don't need to worry about the 2nd chat log...as you have full on right to enforce this RP onto the person.

It's all about wording...and how you put something across, especially something like gagging in this situation...it's very.....Situational.

P.S: We don't need a rule for this. Don't over-complicate a situation that does not need it. This is why we have the powergaming rule.

dealwithitparrot.gif

Edited by Stagsview

On 15/06/2017 at 2:23 PM, Strawberry said:

I'm pretty sure you don't need permission to gag someone as it's not a permanent damage to your character. I can't see how it's considered powergaming either, as long as it's roleplayed out you can gag whoever you want.

This.

Too much asking permission now days when its not needed. Would be worth emoting out as stags has put above.

As long as it brings some decent RP and isnt abused in order to keep the person quiet while the hostiles just gear up in peace before running away then i think its fine.

Edited by Voodoo

16 hours ago, FiftyFootAnt said:

You do own the hostage. We are talking realistically here. Want to be in charge of your body? Don't get taken hostage. Don't want to get taken hostage? Too bad. 

This is a suggestion that would change the rules so don't bring up the rules we're aiming to change here. I know we're not aiming to change the rules of hostages in a general sense, but gagging is special and would modify the rules. Keep an open mind.

24 minutes ago, reesesaddict said:

You do own the hostage. We are talking realistically here. Want to be in charge of your body? Don't get taken hostage. Don't want to get taken hostage? Too bad. 

I'm not thinking of the no-kill-me rules, I'm more thinking of the RP rules. As a hostage, on this server, I have a right to RP. And gagging shuts down SO MANY RP options; emotes can only go so far.