Server time (UTC): 2019-12-13, 09:19 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
reesesaddict

DayzRP VS Public

Okay, I understand that many of you have certain bias towards public because of KOS, but hear me out. 

I want your opinions on realism of Dayz when it comes to both DayzRP and public. Personally, I feel that certain parts of Dayz Public are more realistic than DayzRP. For example, I find that interactions WHEN THEY OCCUR in Dayz Public are way more realistic than DayzRP. Not because people RP, because they never do, but because there is ACTUAL TENSION. People don't act like "Oh I'm safe they can't kill me unless they initiate and if I just comply I'm fine." EIther one of you could pull out a gun and pull the trigger within a second, taking the other's life. That is a huge deal. There are trust issues, people get scared. Now, if someone decides to hold you up in public and you comply, THEY CAN KILL YOU, EVEN IF YOU COMPLY. When you are begging for your life in DayzRP, you are literally begging for your life in Dayz Public. I have had it happen many times where I've been held up and I have had  to beg for my life, pleading not to be shot. In DayzRP, you don't get that emotion. Now, another thing is that people in Dayz Public are not as common to see because people are terrified because they know that can happen. So, you might scout someone out, see what they do. It's more intense to meet someone, you are more reserved, IT IS WHAT WE AIM TO HAVE HAPPEN HERE.

Now, in Dayz Public these amazing interactions are not common because 90% of people KOS. That is not a problem in DayzRP. Another problem is that people in Dayz Public don't want to RP being in the actual apocalypse, and to be fair they don't have to. 

So what do you guys think? 

Edited by reesesaddict

I think that it would be a good idea to change the way to gain kill rights, but on the other hand people could abuse the new rule and find loop holes to avoid being banned in reports. 

This would be a good idea but it needs A LOT of work.

Just now, equiinox said:

I think that it would be a good idea to change the way to gain kill rights, but on the other hand people could abuse the new rule and find loop holes to avoid being banned in reports. 

This would be a good idea but it needs A LOT of work.

Again, I don't mean for this to be a suggestion. If so, I would've posted in the suggestion section. I simply want to see what people think.

This will lead to terrible RP Reeses. The thing is, whilst I agree kill rights should be easier to obtain, if it's too easy then every inexperienced RP'er out there will loose the one thing restricting them from being... trigger happy. For a lot of them the line between  good RP and blowing someones head off because... well... just because! Well... that line is blurred.  They have enough difficulty with it without making it easier to do it.

Besides, the element of fear you're talking of is something that is the responsibility to -act- out. We're roleplayers... we have a responsibility to disregard all the rules when we are in character. Our characters don't know these rules. We -do-. Nothing restricts the acting ability besides the concept of consent. Nothing.

Now whilst I agree in a good hostile RP, the wavering of consent to kill should be a thing, however in a terrible RP if new rules allow it... those less experience roleplayers can and will just kill you for the sake of killing you. Heck, they're already doing it. It's why we have a mentor system, it's why we have reports. We're a roleplay server.

Edited by Tony

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

This will lead to terrible RP Reeses. The thing is, whilst I agree kill rights should be easier to obtain, if it's too easy then every inexperienced RP'er out there will loose the one thing restricting them from being... trigger happy. For a lot of them the line between  good RP and blowing someones head off because... well... just because! Well... that line is blurred.  They have enough difficulty with it without making it easier to do it.

Besides, the element of fear you're talking of is something that is the responsibility to -act- out. We're roleplayers... we have a responsibility to disregard all the rules when we are in character. Our characters don't know these rules. We -do-. Nothing restricts the acting ability besides the concept of consent. Nothing.

Now whilst I agree in a good hostile RP, the wavering of consent to kill should be a thing, however in a terrible RP if new rules allow it... those less experience roleplayers can and will just kill you for the sake of killing you. Heck, they're already doing it. It's why we have a mentor system, it's why we have reports. We're a roleplay server.

Definitely see your point Tony. I think it can be done right, but definitely we cannot go along with the path of Public. 

Many people argue that it should be harder to gain kill rights, the rules we currently have have been around for years now and I see no reason to change it. If someone isnt scared when they should be, then you should consider reporting them for poor rp. 

1 minute ago, reesesaddict said:

Definitely see your point Tony. I think it can be done right, but definitely we cannot go along with the path of Public. 

How do you think it can be done right. in your opinion?

We already have amazing hostile rp'ers on the server and a way to get genuine fear is to not limit them as to what they can do to your character ( Obviously within Limits ) and the damage they can do to your character, of course the rp has to lead to it. The worst thing you can do its limit a hostile rp'ers ability to do things by limiting them oocly. And I do know that you can just get random assholes that will ask to do a major perma scar on you for no reason, yeah. But again give them a chance to do something less serious rather than just think no the rp I'm getting here isn't up to par for me to give rights like that. 

I don't know, IMO if people just don't limit hostile rp'ers as much as they do and let them be creative then it can really lead for that Genuine fear of what is going to happen to your character.

If we make it easier to gain kill rights then as Tony said, inexperienced players may try to abuse this system.

Just now, Oisín said:

How do you think it can be done right. in your opinion?

We already have amazing hostile rp'ers on the server and a way to get genuine fear is to not limit them as to what they can do to your character ( Obviously within Limits ) and the damage they can do to your character, of course the rp has to lead to it. The worst thing you can do its limit a hostile rp'ers ability to do things by limiting them oocly. And I do know that you can just get random assholes that will ask to do a major perma scar on you for no reason, yeah. But again give them a chance to do something less serious rather than just think no the rp I'm getting here isn't up to par for me to give rights like that. 

I don't know, IMO if people just don't limit hostile rp'ers as much as they do and let them be creative then it can really lead for that Genuine fear of what is going to happen to your character.

If we make it easier to gain kill rights then as Tony said, inexperienced players may try to abuse this system.

Personally I have no idea. I just believe as a community if we really tried hard to make a new system, it could work. I am mainly just looking for what people think.

What do you guys think when it comes to realism compared to Dayz Public and DayzRP because that was the main idea I was trying to question.

Well aside from fact that people on public know and act like they are in a game, i ll still have to stick a winning note  for realism to publics. If apocalispse would be happening IRL, major part of surviving population would grow extremly weary of any people they dont know within  few weeks/months. Large part of these would go as far as to KOS anyone they dont know and take all theyr stuff from theyr corpse, and people would be very afraid to meet anyone. DayzRP however has something publicks dont have. That is factions groups and majority of interactions some of which could be rather lifelike.

when i play here, my character is suposed to be afraid when he meets someone. When i played on public I was afraid when/if i ll meet someone

therefore i would say that neither is fully realistic, but both have parts which are much more realistic that the other

Edited by matusmanis

Besides, fear is still a thing too. Allow me to quote a lot of the newer roleplayers on their fear. 

//plz don't take my gear

//anything but my M4 PLZ!!!

//don't take that, I need it for RP!!!

//I am reporting u 4 gearrp!!!!

I don't have much to say other than that this is a roleplay orientated community so of course it will differ from public servers.

I completely agree with your statement on public servers, but as Mexi said above, this is a role play server.

Rules and guidelines are set so that characters may develop further, with the most enrichful character interactions possible. I do my part on the server to try to create fear, do you do your part?

I'd love to have much looser rules in terms of murder and killing while simultaneously having stricter rules in terms of permadeath and permanent injuries (Scars or otherwise).

However a lot, and I mean a lot of people WILL abuse it in that case. The only way to fix this is to have a much smaller community, meaning to force everyone to rewhitelist and make the application process even more strict- Denying people who are inexperienced roleplayers from joining. That means the community would also become fairly elitist by nature- Because at that point everyone is held to a high standard of roleplay.

The realistic you try to get the rules to be, the smaller the community will get if you want it to remain a roleplay community, because you need to force a standard of roleplay once it becomes "too" realistic, rather than the standard of roleplay being set naturally like it is now.

That fear will never be here. You have people that cry when you use in game mechanics to punch a hostage. People will never allow lessened rules to heighten actual fear in game.

I believe @Jerry made a thread about this last year sometime suggesting allowing short robberies to solve the same issue. Nothing came of it.

Edited by Hebee

10 minutes ago, Hebee said:

That fear will never be here. You have people that cry when you use in game mechanics to punch a hostage. People will never allow lessened rules to heighten actual fear in game. I believe @Jerry made a thread about this last year sometime suggesting allowing short robberies to solve the same issue. Nothing came of it.

Basically this. While people obviously shouldn't just KOS, hostile encounters should be more realistic. If you and your friends decide to rob someone you have no past with, it would obviously not last long. People would claim things such as "10 second robbery", but that's better RP wise than a large group talking to you for 30 seconds and leaving because they don't have a reason to talk with an unknown hostage for 30 minutes.

3 hours ago, reesesaddict said:

-snip-

You say people are tense, but a lot of people wouldn't kill for the sake of killing whereas 99% of the dayz community kills on sight. You want to argue realism in a game where there is very little in the first place. 

This isn't a good idea at all, and my opinion will remain the same throughout all of these suggestion threads that suggest similar ideas. If you want to find a way to get tension, KoS is not the way. KoS is the way you make people leave a roleplay community and the fear of being KoS simply because OOC some guy decided he wanted to is not good.

6 minutes ago, Para said:

-snip-

you have most probably misread what the OP has told and this sint even sugestion thread..

The OP asked and i quote

3 hours ago, reesesaddict said:

What do you guys think when it comes to realism compared to Dayz Public and DayzRP because that was the main idea I was trying to question.

He did not sugest to allow KOS..

The rules are a bit strict and people thinks that they are playing sunshine and rainbows because of it. Its DayZ and the game is unforgiving, this aspect and the "realism" dies when you have a lot of rules. 

14 minutes ago, matusmanis said:

you have most probably misread what the OP has told and this sint even sugestion thread..

The OP asked and i quote

He did not sugest to allow KOS..

Pretty sure he's talking about the ability to kill hostages at will, which isn't exactly dissimilar to what i was talking about. And even with this, that would mean 90% of people would not comply simply due to people always being able to execute them. I know for a fact that people wouldn't comply if they were 100% going to die anyway. It opens up a whole bunch of issues in terms of NVFL, RDM etc.

Edit: Didn't say this was a suggestion thread, but he's suggestion an idea.

35 minutes ago, Para said:

Pretty sure he's talking about the ability to kill hostages at will, which isn't exactly dissimilar to what i was talking about. And even with this, that would mean 90% of people would not comply simply due to people always being able to execute them. I know for a fact that people wouldn't comply if they were 100% going to die anyway. It opens up a whole bunch of issues in terms of NVFL, RDM etc.

Edit: Didn't say this was a suggestion thread, but he's suggestion an idea.

All I was asking was what people think about the realism in Dayz Public and DayzRP, I understand how you thought I was suggesting it though, and I edited it because I realized that I had said that, but I simply want to know what you guys think is realistic in DayzRP and Dayz Public and how they are different. 

I see your points though, and I definitely don't mean that DayzRP should allow KOS, that would be horrible, but I was just simply saying there might be a way to add natural fear rather than having to RP it.

The reason I play here is plain and simple. I don't feel like spending 4 + hours  finding mediocre loot, then getting shit on by a squad of 5 at the airfield. It gets boring. Here I can actually have fun playing this subpar game. 

The only benefit from Pubs KOS, i.e. increased fear, is SUPPOSED to be RP'ed out. We don't need a rule change to solve this, we need players to stop rolling Billy Badass characters who "ain't afraid of nothing".

I get what you're saying here, but that fear is just never going to be here. Thats not because its just not how people roleplay, but because honestly it kind of make sense. We are years into the apocalypse, people get use to interactions. In the beginning people didn't know how to survive really, so they would resort to taking from those that did. Banditry. People feared bandits, giving them that fear that you are talking about on the pub servers. But now that we are years into this, people know how to survive on their own. People are armed to the teeth and most of the time, they have more than just themselves in an interaction, so that fear of someone pulling their weapon and shooting is just not there.

The good thing about the thought of this new lore, is that if it starts from day one of the apocalypse than most of those good roleplayers would have to roleplay with that fear for a while. Some may not, and may start off with some hardened character like there always is, but still that idea of fear in every interaction would be there. 

59 minutes ago, Will said:

The reason I play here is plain and simple. I don't feel like spending 4 + hours  finding mediocre loot, then getting shit on by a squad of 5 at the airfield. It gets boring. Here I can actually have fun playing this subpar game. 

Same.  I can enjoy more of the survival aspect of the game.  Although interaction with most people has been quite shit and on-par with public servers, minus kill on sight.