Server time (UTC): 2019-07-20, 08:35
Sign in to follow this  
The Traveler

Settlements : What? Why? And How to deal with Griefers?

CONTENTS:
1: Intro

2:Setting up a Griefer resistant settlement

3: Day to day running of your settlement

4: Extra Tips 

1: Introduction

Another article written by an OG with way too much time on his hands! :D

Settlements, Camps, Trade posts.... 

It seems every time someone wants to set one up they keep running into the same problem. 

Griefers!

(See Image 1.0) 

They come into the town you've set your settlement up, take all the stuff out your tents, hell maybe even steal one or 2 of them, and then go on their merry way.

But you see the common Griefer is a species that has been studied for generations by expert Survivors, Bandits and Traders alike. And there are certain ways to get around these annoying pests and the havock they cause to growing settlements. But this knowledge, it was passed down through word of mouth, and in turn been lost to the ages. So this guide will be a general guide of how to set up a decently griefer proof settlement, whilst also making the settlement more enjoyable (which in turn will also slightly reduce the amount of Griefers you have) . 

DISCLAIMER: Griefers are troublesome creatures , if the people of old had fully dealt with them they would of become extinct long ago. Just as a garden will constantly have weeds growing, no matter how much you do to get rid of them, so too are the Griefers resourceful, and eventually you will still have Griefer problems. In the eventual case of a Griefer incident, we recommend going down to the local drug store and getting a big dose of "Deal with it, it was bound to happen eventually"  

AKA: This guide is to reduce Griefer problems, not extinguish them. 

Image result for trollface

(Image 1.0: Accurate Drawing of the average Griefer) 

2: Setting up a Griefer resistant settlement:

The key to setting up a greifer resistant town is 2 fold : Reduce the chance of Griefing, Increase the amount of stuff to do in town. This is a small list of things, in order of importance (most important at the top) of what you should probably have in a settlement to reduce the boredom, and decrease the chance of Griefers coming and ruining your fun. 

Stashes:

Setting up a settlement nowadays seems to be the age old routine of "Get a bunch of tents, put them in a town, hope for the best"
This is mistake number one, whilst having 1 or 2 tents inside of a town may be a fun idea for a settlement, the main bulk of a settlement's supplies should be kept outside the town, say 2000m - 3000m away (depending on how "safe" you wish your stash to be). This is to make sure that the supplies of the town (Medical supplies, Farming equipment ect ect) is safe from the wild Griefer attack. In this "Stash" should also be a completely empty, stored away tent or 2. These 2 tents would be the ones you take to a town / settlement every day as the place to store things when occupying the town. It is hard work, but at the end of the day it is certainly worth it in the long run.

Outpost.png.94f433b942c35a392949d6ce2356d908.png

Image 1.1: An example of a "stash" set up by me a few months ago, the stash lasted for round about a month before even being discovered, said stash being less than 1000m from Cherno....

Trading Area: 

If you wish to actually have a purpose to your town, perhaps setting up a Trading Area would be worth it? An area with lots of room (centre of a town, inside a big church or warehouse) where survivors and members of the town alike can set up trading stands (either with small tents or backpacks) where trading can be done between players, perhaps even tax people to use this area, meaning the town itself gets some resources back from setting this up. Also it allows for people to set up shop and trade their services rather than just items (Mercenaries, Repair shops, Sewing services ect ect) bringing a bit more variety to the town, "Damnit my tire is broken on my sedan, oh yeah! Ol'd Jacob Mcree sets up shop in Gorka, could go there to get it fixed" <---- If that is the sort of stuff being said about your settlement, you are doing it right. People coming to town for a purpose as opposed to the fact it's "just there".

Whilst not making Griefers any less likely, it encourages actual activities at your settlement, so in turn less chance of people getting bored and hence reducing the amount of potential griefers (but only slightly, this is more a "for fun" option to add to your settlements). 

Recreational Area: 

Be it a bar, a town hall, a diner or even just a campfire in a church, have an area designated for general hanging about. Not only does it give people a place to go visit if they happen to wander into town for no reason, but also it gives for a good place for civilians to hide in the case of a firefight.  A bunch of fun if you get the right people there, find musicians , find the comedy acts, find the people who can tell good stories of their times in the apocalypse. Not only will this make the area enjoyable, but also it can keep people informed of the big events going on around in Chernarus. A new war has started? You will probably find out about it through hearsay in a bar like this. 

Image result for tradepost dayzrp

Image 1.2: Trade Post Bar in the mod days, with live singing entertainment

3: Day to day running of your settlement

Start of the day:

So your group has just logged on. At this point you should all be at your stash or halfway between your stash and the town / settlement you call home. You get all your members to head to the stash and grab what you think you will need that day (X ammount of medical supplies, farming supplies, trading supplies , tents ect ect). And then YOU DO NOT all go to your settlement in one big go. First you send 1/4 of your guys without the big gear (mostly just stuff in their backpacks) to scout it out, then another 1/4 of your guys come from another direction into the town , and you keep going like that, entering from different directions until all you guys are in the town. This makes it harder for randoms to figure out where you came from, and more importantly makes sure the settlement is safe before you move in. This should take around about 30 mins to do if you are doing it right. 

Day to day dealings in Settlement:

So the settlement is set up for the day, and now you are sitting around. This time should be spent having people patrol the town, interact with survivors visiting and letting people know of the days going's on. You guys in the settlement need to be having as much fun as people coming here so why not get involved?

-Maybe one of your group today is IC ill and needs looking after?

-Maybe you want to host a little competition for the chance to be a new trade partner of the town?

-Perhaps maybe you intentionally OOC ask a bandit group to come start trouble of some sort (it doesn't even need to be a hold up... maybe the bandits come into town with a wounded man and force your settlement's doctor to treat them, or maybe if you treat them they won't attack you for a few days, so there is a morale choice to be made!). 

Either way it's both your job and your right as a player to make the day to day life of a settlement interesting, or else of course it is going to get stale! 

Trips outside the settlement:

So intersting things are going on in settlement, but it's getting a bit crowded, people have flocked from all over the land. Well now is a perfect time to start sending people out on errands, maybe even propose the surivors who come help you out get pay? 

-Need more livestock meat? Go on a hunting trip! 

-Heard a rumour that a stockpile of weapons has been set up nearby, let's go investigate (Maybe even OOC set up this stockpile on your own and make a mini event out of it, maybe even invite a bandit group OOC to try hunt it down too and have it be a race to the stockpile).

-A man comes in and is in dire need of some advanced medical equipment that can only be found in Berenzino hospital? Embark on a rescue mission to get the equipment he needs! 

The point is settlement life doesn't need to be secluded to just the settlement. Sure, in game you have everything you need to "survive" ... but in character do you? Settlements are big places and need a lot of stuff to keep them going, and little events like the ones above give your settlement more life to it, aswell as getting survivors going out and doing stuff, rather than just campfire RP. 

End of the day:

So it is the end of the day, and your group is about 30-40 mins from logging off. So get 1/4 of your guys to start ferrying stuff back to the stash, or even keeping it on their person for the time being and logging off. If you take the former choice, make sure each 1/4 that leaves takes a different route back to the main stash, even going out of their way to go the opposite direction for a while, just in case someone follows you. Once everything have been put back in the stash area, have everyone apart from 1-2 guys log off, have those 1-2 guys stay for another 10-15 minutes, hidden in a tent or a bush or something, just to make sure you weren't followed and some arsehole isn't about to try and steal from your tents. 

4: Extra Tips :

-Bandits: Now your settlement will be properly raided eventually. It's a way of life... but a way to reduce the cluster of raids is to make the bandits less interested to raid the whole settlement itself. By influencing people to travel from the settlement and to the settlement (Trade routes, missions and hunting parties as described in part 3) it makes it more likely they will target these parties outside the settlement, rather than attacking the whole settlement itself. 

Also , and everyone say it with me kids! BANDITS CAN BE DEALT WITH NONE HOSTILELY!: 

Make Dirty Deals with them, Prove your worth to bandit groups that respect strength (Challenge their leader to a fist fight?), offer them shit to leave you alone, give them alternative places or people to attack who are a better target. The main point is that you don't have to firefight your way out of every bandit situation to be a successful settlement. If that was the case you will just end up being PvP'd out after a few weeks of the same fight, different day.

-EVENTS: Your Settlement, if made right, will be important, it will be one of hopefully several hubs on the server for people to come to.  So make events! Have competitions, resource drives, battles and all and any other such events you might think of for your settlement! What's the point being on the DayZRP map if you ... well are not gonna put yourself on the map :D

-Trade Routes : (Just follow the Hyperlink :D )  

So I hope you enjoyed this little guide to settlements, my personal opinions from both running and seeing settlements over the 4 years I have been here, and I can't wait to see more proper settlements being set up reallll soon :D

Please post below in the comments if you found this useful / if you have any amendments and additions you think the guide could do with :)

Edited by The Traveler

Nice guide ! If all settlements were run like that it'd be fantastic ! I don't know why it's not btw.

I'll do a more thorough proof-read later, I've spotted a couple of spelling mistakes.

Thank you for sharing your ancient wisdom ! May the OG knowledge be brought back to life trough you !

+1 to this solid tutorial.

I hope some people follow your advice. 

Edited by Slash

This would be great! I wonder, are there any groups having this kind of OOC contact with eachother to aid RP?

1 minute ago, ArnieB87 said:

This would be great! I wonder, are there any groups having this kind of OOC contact with eachother to aid RP?

Yes, some groups do have contact on an ooc level and arrange little events.

Although, mostly these events are just for  their two groups and not to aid the RP in a settlement.

5 hours ago, ArnieB87 said:

5 hours ago, Slash said:

Yes, some groups do have contact on an ooc level and arrange little events.

Although, mostly these events are just for  their two groups and not to aid the RP in a settlement.

Yes they do, I know for one I'd love to interact with other groups OOC... and more so those groups that currently don't? Well there is no reason why they couldn't.

Arguements, Disagreements, dislikes, "Salt"... it's something that can be looked past if you take a moment to think of the good it would do the server, and do to your own RP experience. 

I will still get robbed In game nowadays and, if they get offline and fancy a chinwag, I will happily go in and tell them how awesome the RP was :)

OOC, we can have our dislikes of one another to an extent, but at the end of the day this is a community, and the one constant, the one standing requirement from us all is to work together to make the roleplay here great! 

I've played RPG's with people I've hated the guts of in the past... I still sat down at the table and RP'ed out that we were best of buds... and over time hell... we even bonded... 

The guide is good, your responses tell me that... but it's up to everyone else to heed it's words to some extent or another, and start working together to make a more interesting RP experience :)

DayZRP_960x250.png.546fdcb0d9cfdb7346b536d20e8ebdbf.png

Whilst I may have lost faith in games, or systems or rulesets in the past, I will never lose faith that this community will always find a way to grow!

Edited by The Traveler

I appreciate the advice on griefers. Nice guide

1 minute ago, PCJames said:

I appreciate the advice on griefers. Nice guide

Well not that you'd need it though aye james? Should know most this guide back to front being from the mod days :D

Shouldn't this be in the Guides section?

1 minute ago, Castiel said:

Shouldn't this be in the Guides section?

Last time I checked there hasn't been a guides section since old website. :) 

Well I always appreciate a refresher @The Traveler

6 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Last time I checked there hasn't been a guides section since old website. :) 

There is a guide section, found here: http://www.dayzrp.com/guides/

Please make the post there. with that being said this will be closed.

/Closed