Jump to content
Server time: 2017-11-18, 21:11

Sign in to follow this  
barto300

Is everyone ex-military?

Recommended Posts

Knowing full well I arrive late to the party, here is my two cents on this discussion. 

Russia has conscription. Chernarus has conscription. The nature of foreign groups in Chernarus has historically been millitary at large. Military personnel is probably more likely to have more deep knowledge of how to survive on few to near on non-existent supplies. I guess it's easier to create a military dude than a deep RP story of hard survival and learning how to survive on nothing. An easy start I suppose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have DID. You want crazy meet me in game lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently i've been activley trying to play characters that do not use weapons whatsoever or sparingly and if they do, no military guns. It gets a bit dull being a decked out copy paste military guy, or having military gear taken from you repeatedly. Currently playing a pacifist right now and hanging around Kabanino so I can still see and be involved in interaction and conflict without having to lug around an ak or m4 wherever I go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2017 at 11:34 AM, Mark said:

Not sure on the state of the server currently or the RP it has to offer but my new char will be a rapist.... So yeah hope to run into you :)

If your main weapon is a sword, call yourself bonersword. Please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After some time on roleplay, I've had a thought about this discussion again.

 

I used to say "ex-military" is some basic and easy concept to make up, especially for beginner roleplayers on this server. But I also hear how ex-military characters are rather frequent.

I can't help but believe it is more than likely to meet an ex-military dude, especially people from foreign countries. With the amount of military force and the UN being involved during the outbreak, I decided to settle with the possibility of meeting an ex-military character.

 

However, if you use that like some advantage in roleplay or do it totally wrong by claiming to be "an ex-weapons specialist in the marines," then it gets a bit silly.

Any concept is doable if it is done right.

Edited by SirGunman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up as a boy scout and went backpacking through Europe with my girlfriend and some old highschool friends when the shit hit the fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Unicornbattman said:

I grew up as a boy scout and went backpacking through Europe with my girlfriend and some old highschool friends when the shit hit the fan

if i ever run into you I'm going to ask you to recite the full scout oath, law as well as the out door code :P

#EagleScout 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddy said:

if i ever run into you I'm going to ask you to recite the full scout oath, law as well as the out door code :P

#EagleScout 

You dont know where i scouted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unicornbattman said:

You dont know where i scouted

Only joking around no need to fret; I honestly like the idea behind your character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddy said:

Only joking around no need to fret; I honestly like the idea behind your character.

lol I figured you were joking dont worry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first character was military.. I regret not taking more time making him doe. Well, I don't own a scent of creativity probably why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My character has a background as former military, moving into law enforcement. In my mind, whenever I created the character, I knew everything that there was to know about the game and how to survive, so I should have a background that explains my survival so well. He's not a super soldier from the 7th Cav or Navy Seals/Force Recon by any means, he was a USMC Military Police Officer, but yeah... Realism. Not everyone is Chris Kyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never played a military/ex-military/uber badass character before, far too boring in my honest opinion. Lacks creativity, unless they have a very solid background story that is actually believable. Rather than the standard "Got dropped off here on a plane and lost the rest of my squad" rubbish, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RavioliKing said:

Never played a military/ex-military/uber badass character before, far too boring in my honest opinion. Lacks creativity, unless they have a very solid background story that is actually believable. Rather than the standard "Got dropped off here on a plane and lost the rest of my squad" rubbish, lol. 

Is over 300,000 words of lore on my character starting from early childhood to present solid enough? :D Most details of the life of John Waters has been hammered out like a living breathing person. Upbringing, schools, higher education, pre-career jobs, life experiences, ect, ect. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

my character was a electrical engineering student that came on a internship i avoid playing military characters like the plague. if i had to guess bandits like military characters because it means they can be mr badass and pvp if it comes up the same way they would in pubs when most people wouldn't be as skilled. plus most bandits are somewhat new imo (other than the few super old ones) and a lot of people see guns and think "i'm going to make a military character 

Edited by taac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate my backstory tbh, I think it's more the actions that i've had occur whilst playing that have made my character entirely, and that's why I've got 60 pages to write up of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My current and longest lasting char is a german Punker who spent his life as a homeless child ever since he was eleven and is now having cringeworthy ptsd vietnam flashbacks due to shit thaz icly happened a few days ago where he had to do stuff thaf you shall find out IC ;} 

On 26.4.2017 at 8:44 AM, Unicornbattman said:

I grew up as a boy scout and went backpacking through Europe with my girlfriend and some old highschool friends when the shit hit the fan

German boyscout here, gonna ask u dem knowledge once i see u :) and once jt happens u better know who baden-powell is 

On 12.4.2017 at 2:20 PM, Zizoor said:

Knowing full well I arrive late to the party, here is my two cents on this discussion. 

Russia has conscription. Chernarus has conscription. The nature of foreign groups in Chernarus has historically been millitary at large. Military personnel is probably more likely to have more deep knowledge of how to survive on few to near on non-existent supplies. I guess it's easier to create a military dude than a deep RP story of hard survival and learning how to survive on nothing. An easy start I suppose?

Backstory: "I played dayz a lot and now know how to survive" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The Marshal said:

Is over 300,000 words of lore on my character starting from early childhood to present solid enough? :D Most details of the life of John Waters has been hammered out like a living breathing person. Upbringing, schools, higher education, pre-career jobs, life experiences, ect, ect. ;)

Funnily enough I have actually read your chars profile and all I can see is well f*ckin' done, lol. Thoroughly enjoyed the read and is an example of how those sort of characters should be done! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, RavioliKing said:

Funnily enough I have actually read your chars profile and all I can see is well f*ckin' done, lol. Thoroughly enjoyed the read and is an example of how those sort of characters should be done! 

I also have a thread in lore and stories if you haven't looked at that yet :D

Thanks man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Rekhoem said:

Backstory: "I played dayz a lot and now know how to survive" 

That would almost be accurate to a lot of people on here.

And I honestly don't have a problem with most people's ex-mil backstories. It's just the recon marines arriving with an experimental expeditionary force made up in it's entirety of the crême de la crême of their profession. All scoring a half million confirmed kills in the secret black ops of the highly secret third gulf war against Poseidon. They aren't fun to deal with, to listen to or to even hear about. Cringe deluxe basically. 

Just as I don't like the amount other super important cringe folks. Out of the dozens of "scientists" I've met on dayzrp who is studying the "virus" and trying to find a "cure" only one has ever been even a tiny deal convincing.

But I still think the reason people do it is because it fits what they want to do and because it honestly does make sense that a lot of people was in the military around these parts. Any super soldier can go kill themselves though. All characters I came up with who were military were all conscripts of some sort. Nothing special with the exception of the slowly advancing major A. Malyshev in the Ministerstvo Vnutrennikh Del. But that was long ago when I lead a group, with meticulous research and effort in the mod days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6-4-2017 at 9:01 PM, Slash said:

I agree on the fact that there are way to much (ex-)military characters.

I've personally  only had one military character and played him for a week, I prefer non-military characters personally.

But yeah, everyone can RP as they like/want.

*Sara starts to cry as her true love Joseph rejects her*

 

I play a vetran now but it makes sense. Alot of Chernarussians joined the CDF or the National Volunteers when the civil war broke out in 2009. It makes more sense that there are Chernarussian or Russian soldiers in Chernarus than American or other western soldiers. Of course the UN was in Chernarus but not that many, there were no "normal" armies of western countries.

I played alot of diffrent kind of characters though, not only soldiers. I played a mute girl, a deaf girl, an arms dealer, a CDF soldier. tons of diffrent chars. I hate running into people who dont know the lore and say something about training Chernarusssian special forces or so..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Zizoor said:

Any super soldier can go kill themselves though.

6dfba9dc33de3a9e8cf1d8eba0477f9a.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best way to stop it is to do something yourself. Make a character who was something else, make it unique, and stick with it. Also nothing wrong with going ex-military, but you can change up your gear. I just made a character who was a combat medic. He uses an m4 and a nice vest for pouches, but I use a red jacket and some ruined jeans and a beanie and a hunting backpack. Depends on your RP also mainly. If you can pull it off, do it. But thing is most people can't pull it off well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, reesesaddict said:

Best way to stop it is to do something yourself. Make a character who was something else, make it unique, and stick with it. Also nothing wrong with going ex-military, but you can change up your gear. I just made a character who was a combat medic. He uses an m4 and a nice vest for pouches, but I use a red jacket and some ruined jeans and a beanie and a hunting backpack. Depends on your RP also mainly. If you can pull it off, do it. But thing is most people can't pull it off well.

I ran into a rag-tag of ex-everything and because I was a cook in the merchant navy according to my character, they dressed me up like some camouflaged cucumber. >.>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SirGunman said:

I ran into a rag-tag of ex-everything and because I was a cook in the merchant navy according to my character, they dressed me up like some camouflaged cucumber. >.>

...What?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×