Server time: 2019-03-23, 23:44 WE ARE RECRUITING
The Nikitin Prodejna - Trade Post Event
TODAY | 2019-03-24 17:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 17 hours, 15 minutes
Sign in to follow this  
Roland

Desolation Redux direction poll

Desolation direction  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For upcoming Desolation server, we have to choose a direction. To start preparing things like rules and lore I need to know what is the desired direction of the Desolation server. Do we want this to be as serious and strict as DayZ or do we want something to chill out on and just have fun, build bases and have firefights?

The choice is hard because shall we keep it DayZ-like and difficult to get in for newcomers, the project might die - as we've seen in the past a side project cannot rely only on the players already within the community. Especially in ArmA3 where most its players are used to easy to get in RP servers like Life, etc. There are very few ArmA3 communities with strict requirements like ours and there's a good reason for that - very few people actually want to put in the effort. And without people, there is no server.

On the other hand, we have the requirements we have and the rules we have for a reason. Making it too easy to get access to the server may bring the overall RP quality down. This is how I see our choices:

1. Heavy RP server (like our DayZ servers)

• Strict enforcement of the community rules
  • Strictly enforced in game oriented rules like metagaming, NLR, NVFL
  • Restrictions in what kind of characters and groups are reasonable based on lore
  • Most likely better RP quality overall, less PVP
  • Our current whitelist system
  • Less possible players (due to how hard it is to get access for newcomers & follow all rules)

2. Light RP server 

• Relaxed enforcement of community rules
  • Lesser enforcement of non-RP breaking rules
  • Open choice in terms of groups and characters, lore serves just as a common backstory
  • Most likely worse RP quality overall, more PVP
  • Simplified whitelist system with just basic checks through forum threads (like staff applications)
  • More possible players (due to how much easier it is to get access for newcomers & rules are simplified)

There is always the possibility of mixing the two ideas together (for example strict rules, but easy whitelist). That can be discussed after we see some poll results.

What would you consider the last desolation project to be? Light or heavy?

Just now, Covert said:

What would you consider the last desolation project to be? Light or heavy?

It was a mix. It required our DayZ whitelist, so it was only targeted at people already within the community. At the same time, the rules for it were more relaxed than DayZ. So, if it weren't for the whitelist, I'd say it was light RP.

Just now, Rolle said:

It was a mix. It required our DayZ whitelist, so it was only targeted at people already within the community. At the same time, the rules for it were more relaxed than DayZ. So, if it weren't for the whitelist, I'd say it was light RP.

I agree, thanks for the quick answer.

From my experience, if a player settles to the idea of what they are getting into, they will take it seriously, however, taking the light RP approach will lead to more rule breaking overall, so that is something to be prepared for, but, if done correctly it can get very popular very quickly. I am saying this from a history of playing on an open Altis life server.

I voted for the Heavy RP route but its just personal preference really. I tried Miscreated which I saw as a rather light RP environment and didn't really like it. It wasn't that the RP was lacking or anything like that, its just that the RP was missing... something. I feel like having stricter enforced rules will enhance the RP that comes along with it.

Also I never really had a problem with how DayZRP was run regarding rules (except settlement rules) so I can see it applying to any project that may come.

Light rp 100%. The game is built for PvP and I think we need to remember that. With the ability for faction skins and missions I just feel like we need to steer that way. Now I still think we need a good amount of rules and a whitelist but lets try out something new.

i personally will refrain from voting, i can see the benefits from both sides, if anything mixing the two would be a better idea at the end of the day its your choice on how you RP even if it settles on the light RP choice this wont prevent you from getting into some heavy RP regardless. Personally if there was a 3rd option being mix the two i would of voted on that one seeing as it would hopefully end with the best outcome from both sides.

I voted for the lighter RP. This server was made at its best when people didn't complain about how you robbed someone, if you killed someone (execution) or how you initiated on someone. Just look up DayZRP and go back from 2013 to 2012, this is when the server was fun and enjoyable and you didn't have to worry about getting a report on you for initiating on someone and that someone who is a heavy RPer knows every rule and fines a little human error you made and reports you for it (this isn't fun or was fun). 

People have to remember people are at different levels at Roleplay, for me, I would rather just rob someone and talk to them for 5 minutes and then either run off or tell them to run off. Not have to ask questions and make sure there time was worth it and not get reported. I agree maybe settlements need rules or something cause its not fun for them to be raided 6 times a day.

Maybe which could improve the population on these servers is giving ban members a chance to come back and show themselves as a new person. Not all but some who have not maybe understood the rules completely but was not given the chance by members who decided to straight up report them. 

Maybe clan skins this time Rolle! :D  So if players that have been robbed can identify targets and clans, making it a little better for the rules so people aren't KoS for the wrong reason.

Edited by Chappers

We tried light RP and we all know where that went. So I would much rather keep it at high standards.

Edited by Andrey

1 minute ago, Andrey said:

We tried light RP and we all know where that went. So I would much rather keep it at high standards.

That was the mind set of two extremely salty groups not the rules.

Just now, Andrey said:

For me, when I joined at the end of 2012/13 it was the best time of my life! The firefights, the trading post, yes the RP lacked but when people player that have higher standards of RP it does make others try and bring there standards up which does help. So hopefully it will equal it out sort of.

1 minute ago, Johnny said:

That was the mind set of two extremely salty groups not the rules.

Who were the Salty groups? :P

Just now, Chappers said:

For me, when I joined at the end of 2012/13 it was the best time of my life! The firefights, the trading post, yes the RP lacked but when people player that have higher standards of RP it does make others try and bring there standards up which does help. So hopefully it will equal it out sort of.

I wasn't referring to the mod, but to the last time we tried Desolation and it was decided upon light RP. It turned into a PVP fight between two groups. That happened both due to the more relaxed rules and the fact that Desolation was just a more PVP oriented game. Now, I don't think that having a 100% hardcore rule set is going to help, but the rules need to be adjusted so that the standard of roleplay is held up high, while it allows a good but not excessive amount of PVP.

I'm pretty undecided, all I know is last time we had desolation it was not RP focused at all and it just turned into a massive salt filled PvP fest and crying over who had the helicopter. For this reason I would believe Heavy RP, on the same hand my inner PvP warlord wants the light RP aspect so its a hard choice.

Have it be light rp in the beginning. Get a flood of new players that develops into an active consistent playerbase and then progressively get more serious with the rp related rules at an appropriate pace. 

To be totally fair, the last Desolation server might have been light RP; with that being said the RP was fairly good. I had more memorable Rp experiences in that short time than I did in a similar time frame in DayzRp. So perhaps Light Rp would be the best of both worlds in this case.

Just now, Chappers said:

Can't you just go down the middle and keep everyone happy :P

Thats what i'd prefer.

12 minutes ago, Covert said:

Thats what i'd prefer.

The heavy Rpers will bring there Rper which will bring the ligther rpers to bring theres

I voted for heavy RP but personally I think a mix of the two would be best.

33 minutes ago, Nihoolious said:

Have it be light rp in the beginning. Get a flood of new players that develops into an active consistent playerbase and then progressively get more serious with the rp related rules at an appropriate pace. 

That's actually the best Idea I'd say.

+1 

1 minute ago, JimRP said:

Heavy RP, but Arma 3 just isn't built for heavy RP in my opinion.

Neither is DayZ Standalone. Atleast Arma has the upper hand with mods.

I'd personally like to see something similar to how we had it in mod RP but that seems to be a mix of light/heavy RP so I'm unsure which one to vote for. 

39 minutes ago, JimRP said:

Heavy RP, but Arma 3 just isn't built for heavy RP in my opinion.

This makes no sense.

37 minutes ago, Bran said:

Neither is DayZ Standalone. Atleast Arma has the upper hand with mods.

Uhm sorry but what?

What makes it so you can't "heavy RP" on either of those?

Sign in to follow this