Server time: 2017-10-17, 07:42
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Descendants

New Character idea. Feedback plz?

Descendants    117

So I am thinking about making a new character. I want this guy to be a RPer in DayzRP. He would roleplay as a knight and wear a helm and carry a mace/sword. Ofc I would need a gun so I am thinking the repeater since it is one of the older looking guns in the game. I was thinking a British accent and he would be a little bit crazy in the head. I was thinking an older age, like 60s. what do you guys think? I will definitely flesh all of this out if I end up making him

Edited by descendants

AndreyQ    0

The way you describe it sounds not so good. I am personally a fan of characters meant for comic relief and I think they can bring some much needed diversity in the roleplay world, but those sort of characters need to be a bit serious as well. The idea in itself is not bad, but it depends on how you go about it. Rather than playing the well know my character is a bit fucked in the head cliche I would actually say that this person believes in the knights' code of chivalry and would want to bring back the medieval state.

Doing that would actually give your character a more serious reason behind his doings, while still keeping comic part of it.

Descendants    117
10 minutes ago, Andrey said:

The way you describe it sounds not so good. I am personally a fan of characters meant for comic relief and I think they can bring some much needed diversity in the roleplay world, but those sort of characters need to be a bit serious as well. The idea in itself is not bad, but it depends on how you go about it. Rather than playing the well know my character is a bit fucked in the head cliche I would actually say that this person believes in the knights' code of chivalry and would want to bring back the medieval state.

Doing that would actually give your character a more serious reason behind his doings, while still keeping comic part of it.

Awesome! thanks for the input, sorry for saying crazy, I didn't mean it to come across that way, I meant, that he is just weird and doesn't have many friends, but at the same time just wants to hac and slash shit with his weapon if you know what I mean?

Him being "crazy" has nothing to do with the fact that he RPs a knight, if you know what I mean lol

CooperCream    1
1 minute ago, descendants said:

Awesome! thanks for the input, sorry for saying crazy, I didn't mean it to come across that way, I meant, that he is just weird and doesn't have many friends, but at the same time just wants to hac and slash shit with his weapon if you know what I mean?

Him being "crazy" has nothing to do with the fact that he RPs a knight, if you know what I mean lol

He can be mentally insane if you think about how long its been going on, Is it that he always roleplayed as a "Knight" or did he turn mentally insane because he couldn't handle the loneliness, I would like to see someone play a character like this, I think that it has to have a bigger reason to why he is roleplaying a knight.

Descendants    117
11 minutes ago, CooperCream said:

He can be mentally insane if you think about how long its been going on, Is it that he always roleplayed as a "Knight" or did he turn mentally insane because he couldn't handle the loneliness, I would like to see someone play a character like this, I think that it has to have a bigger reason to why he is roleplaying a knight.

He has always RPed a knight, and has always been a little nuts. He used to be with a bunch of other knight RPers but then hey ran out of food so they all had a big battle and started eating eachother. Now my guy is a knight Rper, a cannibal, and a wack job. nice! ty for the input @CooperCream

Edited by descendants

Jamie    1413

I want this guy to be a RPer in DayzRP.

For once, everyone who plays on our servers must be an RPer. :^)

Now, it'd be somewhat hard to pull off without seeming trolly. You have to look into the conditions that he'll have. It's always best to do research upon the different conditions and their side effects. A lot of people try "crazy" characters and execute them poorly because no real research had gone into it. Would he have stumbled upon this Knight mentality through perhaps reading a book? Ancestors? Perhaps refer to an actual battle that occurred in the past, 1066 or something. 

If you look into these things, it'd still be hard to pull off. If you are dedicated, then give it a go. Best of luck. 

Descendants    117
3 minutes ago, Jamie said:

For once, everyone who plays on our servers must be an RPer. :^)

Now, it'd be somewhat hard to pull off without seeming trolly. You have to look into the conditions that he'll have. It's always best to do research upon the different conditions and their side effects. A lot of people try "crazy" characters and execute them poorly because no real research had gone into it. Would he have stumbled upon this Knight mentality through perhaps reading a book? Ancestors? Perhaps refer to an actual battle that occurred in the past, 1066 or something. 

If you look into these things, it'd still be hard to pull off. If you are dedicated, then give it a go. Best of luck. 

:) I've been doing a bit of research. Ty for the input :D 

Grimnir    659

I actually know a guy who is in a knights order, but funnily enough it's pretty boring because all they do is have fancy parties and fancy uniforms to make themselves feel better. Obviously far off from what you are thinking about but maybe it might help you to look into modern knight orders. ;)

Then again I suppose you want to go for an oldschool knight. I am not a fan of the idea, but if you really want to do it then I obviously can't and won't stop you. There are just a few things to consider. Knights helmets are heavy, hot and uncomfortable as hell so think about not always wearing them. Helmets and armor were obviously for protection, but with the weaponry now they are pretty much useless. You would have to search for a historic knight's code and actually follow it. It seems rather simple but following like 100 rules by heart can be challenging at times.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope you can pull it off. 

Skinner    496

Is this a joke or a serious idea? Is this guy crraaaaAAAAaaazy or something or is he really a knight? Was he a knight before the infection? I mean, I don't know any knights, do you? good on you for trying to come up with something different and interesting but if you don't mind me being brutally honest this idea is pretty much garbage. I'd suggest maybe a crazy lumberjack with a hatchet / chainsaw or something like that.

Think of real life professions and things that actually exist in the world that are cool and build off that. It's pretty hard to build a character off of a concept that doesn't exist in the real world.

Descendants    117
6 minutes ago, TheMatt924 said:

Is this a joke or a serious idea? Is this guy crraaaaAAAAaaazy or something or is he really a knight? Was he a knight before the infection? I mean, I don't know any knights, do you? good on you for trying to come up with something different and interesting but if you don't mind me being brutally honest this idea is pretty much garbage. I'd suggest maybe a crazy lumberjack with a hatchet / chainsaw or something like that.

Think of real life professions and things that actually exist in the world that are cool and build off that. It's pretty hard to build a character off of a concept that doesn't exist in the real world.

you just don't know the whole backstory :P

Skinner    496
Just now, descendants said:

you just don't know the whole backstory :P

Fair point, but it would have to be a pretty fucking amazing backstory for me to not cringe if I ever met this guy in game claiming to be a knight with a metal helmet and a mace/sword.

WeeMeme    0

I met 3 guys last month i think it was took me hostage guy claiming to be King Arthur and his men etc. He wasn't such a king when he was on his knees :P 

It will be cringey and troll if you dont pull it off properly but if you do it should be great. 

King Box    0

Sounds interesting... getting King Ezekiel from TWD vibes. Not that that is a bad thing tho. 

Brad    158

Getting a straight up Monty Python vibe from this, as in it would be hard to get people to take the RP seriously.

But anything can happen if people believe in your character and that their motivations seems somewhat realistic.

Honestly although it might be a little too walking dead, the amount of medieval weaponary that is available (I think?) makes me wonder why a group of RPers who use it as a way to seem more intimidating or at least as a crutch for social awkwardness , doesn't exist (although i think we have had at points during this servers life)

tumblr_lr30zbAV8y1qc2036o1_500.gif

Edited by Brad
Everything went full spoiler!

Hollows    448

Creating a new character isn't the easiest thing to do in the world, so I understand the struggle. To be honest, from what I'm reading I feel that this is a comic relief character, which is fine, but tends to be rather tedious and aggravating after awhile. If you're going to be mentally unstable or off, make sure you're not overboard on the whole concept, please. It's fine to have some loose screws here and there, don't get me wrong, but I've just seen people pull the," I'm crazy," card to do stupid stuff IG, and it's kind of an immersion killer at times. As for your choice in weaponry, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to have swords or maces to use, for silent and subtle take-down kills on infected, so I don't see why not. The helmet can be justified by means of protecting your head from impacts such as pissed off infected or accidental falls.

However, I'd stray away from being a traditional medieval knight, as I've seen this occur dozens of times since the Great-Helm was implemented in the game, and it usually doesn't work out. You can probably follow some of their values, or even make a Knight-like group (Or Guild, hehe) with more modern ideologies for a post-apocalyptic setting, though. Remember: Knights were (mostly) soldiers who served powerful landowners (Lordship) back in the day, or well decorated veterans rewarded with the title 'Sir' as a prefix to their names and granted land for loyalty and great militaristic achievements during their servitude. So if you really want to go traditional, I'd advise you look into finding someone to kind of 'serve' and protect in a way. Maybe follow them around Chernarus as a companion or side-kick, and this would make an interesting story, as I can picture a sort of Siegward of Cantarina type vibe coming from that.

Doc Holiday    170

As Brad said, first thing I thought of as well was Monty Python. In my opinion, it's not too far fetched as long as it isn't over the top. Running around with a helmet on, sword in hand and shouting, "I am a knight! I will save us from evil!" is bad RP. That doesn't stop you from following the code of chivalry though, or taking your own spin on it. I personally play a fucking pirate, but cause I don't go around screaming "Yarrrrrrr" and swinging a cutlass around it works. Try to think of a central point to focus the character around, like the code of chivalry.

Beni    860

Ahh... I've seen it before. 

A guy called Kyle did it once, and It was pretty fucking funny not going to lie, but it's more of a comedic character than an actual serious one... This happened back when I was new... Looking back on it now, it was kinda stupid in my eyes.

I mean, I don't see the point to be honest, I mean fair enough the gear you're wearing on your head would protect you from zombies (theoretically)... But, realistically majority of people would be packing heat. 

In my eyes... I don't like it. I'm into more serious characters... But, hell if you wanna do it man... Go for it. Just make sure you RP maturely and just don't run around screaming random shit in a British accent. 

Descendants    117

Thanks all for the criticism. I am pretty glad I made this thread because I feel like if I hadn't then I would be "that guy". I have been doing my research, thanks for the info! :D  

RAWB3RY    1

It would make a fun diversity but the way you put it it sorta seems like something out of monthy python. But if you would make it a bit more serious like said above you could get some good and fun RP.  I have a feeling people are gonna struggle to take it serious tho.

On 2/15/2017 at 8:49 AM, Brad said:

Getting a straight up Monty Python vibe from this, as in it would be hard to get people to take the RP seriously.

Maybe this site could use some humor, seems like everyone takes themselves too seriously lately.

Edited by FiftyFootAnt
forgot a word

Western    494

Sounds like something different, as my character is around the same age, I would like to meet this character. 

Depends on what part of England of course, but I'll be highly interested in meeting this character if you make him! 

Bradley    0

A knight you say? 

I have never seen this before and I really do think that this kind of character is different to what I have seen around. Making a character like this will of course like you says have something mentally have something wrong with him but when you are playing this kind of character you would want to do some research on what is wrong with your character and what last situations has made him become within this evil state of mind. Also normally,from background knowledge, your character is going to be role playing as a knight right? Maybe with the crazy side to him this was a childhood thing that he loved and when he tribes unstable this was the one thing he held onto. Like I said there are many wars you can role play this out and really the rp that you will get from some people will be outstanding if you play this character right. 

Now with this character I can see a future group in the making abs really I would love to see crazy knights going around forcing laws within the lands and taking people to there castle and beheading them like the olden times when the broke a law. Also you could have a hole law system written out within your thread. These are some ideas that spring to mind and as you can see you can a lot with this character but the real question is will you do it right?