Server time: 2017-08-24, 03:06

Sign in to follow this  
Rolle

DayZ Text RP test run

Rolle    2473

I've quickly put together a basic chat dedicated to live text RP outside of the game. I want to give it a test run and see if there's interest in that kind of feature on the website as well as take suggestions and ideas of new features or improvements to it.

You can access it here.

The system is very basic and doesn't have a lot of features, basically it should be treated as a text chat in game with a few limitations in form of the text chat rules. These rules are of similar nature as the radio chatter forum, to prevent abuse and unfriendly/hostile environment. Yes, the text chat is supposed to be mostly campfire RP. dealwithitparrot.gif If you want to attempt to rob and kill characters through it, you will have better luck in game.

Text chat rules (still in progress, may change at any time):

1. All content in the chat must be strictly IC. OOC content is allowed only using "//" tags and these should be only used if absolutely necessary.
  2. All DayZRP rules apply in this section, just as they would in game. So no meta- or powergaming etc.
  3. The following content is prohibited from text RP chat (even when used IC):
    • hate messages, constant offensive replies, taunting and similar hostile behavior
    • attacking or killing other characters
    • messages that try to disrupt ongoing conversation with laughter, mocking, memes, etc

Those who break the rules above may be given warning points as well as be blocked from using the text RP chat completely.

Tips and tricks:

• You always type as your current active character. You may change your character at any time, however that will cause all previous posts to also switch "ownership" to the newly activated character. Therefore it's advised to wait a little time between switching characters and joining the chat again, to avoid confusion.
  • Staff can set the setting of the chat. If the concept is popular we would change it every now and then and perhaps even create text RP events within it with a staff member playing as a narrator.
  • Flood timer is set to 5 seconds, you have to wait at least that long between messages.

I welcome all improvement suggestions and ideas about how we can use this :)

Cool. I am going to be playing around with this. :D

First problem. The textrp is not real time. I have to refresh the page in order to see emotes. Working.

Second problem. My characters profile is not displaying. 60cc0b3866.jpg

Suggestion. The location should be changed every week. It will make things interesting.

Can our character name color match our selected color, rather than our premium rank?

I really like it!!!

Edit: Another suggetion. People are to RP arriving there and not waking up. Because it will get confusing if people just randomly wake up and we don't notice them..

See a list of people that are online using the textrp chat

When someone leaves the textrp window an ooc bot or something will notify us and an ic emote bot will explain why they left.

Edited by Vapor

It's fun just tried it out for a bit their :D 

Just had a quick go and it was pretty fun, I can see it getting very confusing and clutterd when multiple people take part. Would be nice to see more settings too :) +1 I like the idea

Edited by Charlo

4 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Just had a quick go and it was pretty fun, I can see it getting very confusing and clutterd when multiple people take part. Would be nice to see more settings too :) +1 I like the idea

Maybe something like a web browser where you have multiple tabs per location. +1

Another suggetion. People are to RP arriving there and not waking up. Because it will get confusing if people just randomly wake up and we don't notice them..

Edited by Vapor

So this is the official version of @Aiko's forum RP idea? 

I see a few issues with it. Setting this roleplay in the same world as we have in-game and letting us use our active characters can cause confusion on what you use from this chat when you are in-game again. Can I roleplay that I have met a character in-game that I have only chatted with a little in Elektro on this forum chat?

I would suggest having the setting placed somewhere we can't use out in-game characters that the lore still covers.

Also what happens if someone closes their tab mid-conversation with someone else and basically ditches RP? I get that its an early version so it will be quite trolly. But will there ever be a goal to make it serious where you are strict with points?

Edited by Sofie

Hmmm not a fan of this. Just seems like radio chatter but worse.

7 minutes ago, Andrey said:

Hmmm not a fan of this. Just seems like radio chatter but worse.

Nothing like radio chatter. Radio chatter there is big dicking because people are in different locations. In this TextRP, we are all in the same location and it is supposed to be a peaceful area. I actually really like it. :D

Skinner    440

I'm all for opening up new opportunities and new ways to RP. Probably not my cup of tea but I'll give it a try and I'm glad the "campfire RP" type rules make it distinctly different from the radio chatter forum where you can't mourn a lost friend or seek help without a half dozen monster dongs swinging in and smacking you in the face so you know how bad ass they are. Good to see new things being tried and new ideas!

Aiko    579

Its not quite what I had in mind @Sofie

As I have mentioned, that I myself feel, that it should also be in a different place away from Chenarus. Still in the universe, but in a different country. Getting things mixed up IG to what might happen in chat. It could be confusing I think. Its a good start though, and could get more people into it enough to try out a longer forum rp.

I want to know how TextRP and in game can get confusing? Because I am getting confused by your own confusion....

Aiko    579

Ill explain.

So say the Text Chat moves to a more popular place like Green Mountain or Kab, say that there is a camp at green mountain IG and in Text chat. You rp in text chat, and go about your business there.

The next day you get IG with the same character that you were at GM text rp with. You mention being there all day IG, and someone tells you no. You weren't because they were there all day, and didn't see you at all IG. It would end up being confusing and a little awkward. 

Just now, Aiko said:

Ill explain.

So say the Text Chat moves to a more popular place like Green Mountain or Kab, say that there is a camp at green mountain IG and in Text chat. You rp in text chat, and go about your business there.

The next day you get IG with the same character that you were at GM text rp with. You mention being there all day IG, and someone tells you no. You weren't because they were there all day, and didn't see you at all IG. It would end up being confusing and a little awkward. 

There are two servers and that same thing applies... but that has never been a problem. Even when we had 4 servers, we never had this problem. So, I still don't see an issue.

GM is not popular... wtf?

15 minutes ago, Vapor said:

There are two servers and that same thing applies... but that has never been a problem. Even when we had 4 servers, we never had this problem. So, I still don't see an issue.

GM is not popular... wtf?

I share this worry with Aiko. My reason behind it is that there is only one location set for this at each time, meaning that everyone who starts chatting will be in the same area. Suddenly characters that have never met "waste" their first encounter text roleplaying on the forum instead of experiencing that in-game. And as of now, there is no strict saying that this encounter has to be taken IC by both of them, meaning that if they meet in DayZ, one of them can simply ignore all the roleplaying they did on the forum. Same goes for situations where the location is filled up with characters that are enemies and it just becomes a place where people throw threats at each other without being able to do much, wasting yet another situation. In-game at least you would have to get your people on etc. Now you can just link this over steam and just like that all your 20 friends are there to back you up.

It just won't make sense and I think it should AT LEAST be experimented on in a different setting. Because the moment many people find this there will for sure be "rule breaks" and roleplay that no one will take seriously.

Edited by Sofie

Castiel    1124

I like the idea to be honest. It offers an alternative for people who don't / can't get in-game too often. This is a nice little thing to have on the side, sure it would be better to have it in an alternate setting but then you would need to create different characters etc. Aiko's forum RP idea obviously was cancelled so I think this works well for the time being

Yeah, what Vapor said. Hasn't been an issue before not sure what the problem is.

Edited by Castiel

I'm gonna have to agree with Vapor. There's no confusion to be had. Only confusion is what you wish to make up in your own head. Same as multiple servers, where they're the same universe yet somehow different. I probably won't partake in the chat RP, but I fail to see any issue with it right now.

Descendants    115

I love the text RP, I sat and had a chat for a good 30min. I am away from home (In school lmao) and it is a great way to get invloved with RP without actually playing

37 minutes ago, Sofie said:

I share this worry with Aiko. My reason behind it is that there is only one location set for this at each time, meaning that everyone who starts chatting will be in the same area. Suddenly characters that have never met "waste" their first encounter text roleplaying on the forum instead of experiencing that in-game. And as of now, there is no strict saying that this encounter has to be taken IC by both of them, meaning that if they meet in DayZ, one of them can simply ignore all the roleplaying they did on the forum. Same goes for situations where the location is filled up with characters that are enemies and it just becomes a place where people throw threats at each other without being able to do much, wasting yet another situation. In-game at least you would have to get your people on etc. Now you can just link this over steam and just like that all your 20 friends are there to back you up.

It just won't make sense and I think it should AT LEAST be experimented on in a different setting. Because the moment many people find this there will for sure be "rule breaks" and roleplay that no one will take seriously.

I feel differently about it... I am not comparing TextRP to Radio Chatter, because they are two different concepts. Also, textrp is in experimental stage, I doubt it will be cancerous or trolly as radio chatter. TextRP is just as good as in game encounters, it's a matter of imagination... Also, 

2 hours ago, Rolle said:

The following content is prohibited from text RP chat (even when used IC):

• hate messages, constant offensive replies, taunting and similar hostile behavior
  • attacking or killing other characters
  • messages that try to disrupt ongoing conversation with laughter, mocking, memes, etc

So hopefully people follow these rules and we don't have to worry about big dicking in TextRP. Even if they are enemies. People lie about who they are in game and that can easily be done in TextRP. Like I said, TextRP can be fun with imagination.

Oh no!

43c2db4949.jpg

Edited by Vapor

So how do I kill them for non compliance when I initiate on them through the chatbox?

Edited by Sasha

Just now, Sasha said:

So how do I kill them for non compliance when I initiate on them through the chatbox?

You don't. 

3 minutes ago, Vapor said:

You don't. 

but i wanna

Overall though. I don't know what I feel about this concept. Interesting enough for a trial run though, definetely. We'll see how it's used.

Edited by Sasha

Looks interesting however it seems like you could have an issue of the situation being resolved by the time another player joins so youd likely want a narrator or traditional game master to run the chat. Such as rolling to determine the effects of what the chain of events is. Like the test run with the horde theres not much stopping a set on two players saying they wiped the horde. I think itd be cool to see someone have a story set for each of the settings if there is a plot. Of course this would only be needed for encounters that are more than just a group of players sitting around a bar. I think it could be cool to have a format where you could have plots and a story arc guided by a staff member it would make players feel like they had more impact on the lore and events of the land. Certainly catches my eye and motivates me to get involved more constructively. +1

Edited by Stitches

JimRP    154

This is pretty cool.

It'd be great if say, we had a room like this for each town in Chernarus, if not rooms then subforums in a Text RP forum.

2 minutes ago, JimRP said:

This is pretty cool.

It'd be great if say, we had a room like this for each town in Chernarus, if not rooms then subforums in a Text RP forum.

I have suggested that mr. co-owner.

bc62297dae.png

Edited by Vapor

CooperCream    1

I would like for it to show what the time of day is, I would also like if showed what weather there is.