Server time: 2017-10-22, 15:45
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Descendants

Protection Of Peaceful Camps/Settlements

Descendants    117

There is about to be a lot of text, so I will keep it all color coded, Red=Important to read, Green= Background info, still important but not as much as everything else, Purple= My suggestion and why

Now I know what you are thinking just by reading the title, I have seen posts about this before and they all ended almost the same, with everyone criticizing the people who own the camp saying it is a game and it is realistic to get robbed. But before you shit-post please hear me out! :D 

So recently The Hidden Garden boys and my group, Altar AM have set up a camp at Altar Hill. Our camp is peaceful, we have no enemies, we give shit out to people for free, and welcome anyone into our camp to eat and drink as much as they want, possibly trade a few things, and use our running toilet and hot shower(ran by solar panels and a generator). But aside from all of that, there was a group that showed up yesterday and harassed the fuck out of us, generally we were bugged by it, like any other person would be ofc. They were "kicking" down our tents and shooting doors. They did all this AFTER we helped their guy out earlier that day, but they showed up and were basically trying to bait us into initiating, they surrounded the compound and did nothing but deconstruct our tents that took a few days to get and set up, and shit talk. After this they left and we logged off about an hour or so later. 

Today I got a message from a friend that all of our tents are gone and that the doors to the building were glitched, leaving him locked up on the roof because that is where he logged off at. Therefore, whoever locked the doors, possibly unknowingly abused game mechanics and locked him up there.

Now, my suggestion is that there should be some form of protection for friendly and neutral groups. It doesn't seem realistic to fuck with people that want nothing but to offer you anything you need. It makes no sense to rob our camp and steal all of our shit when we did nothing to you and we aren't your enemies. YES I know there are bandit groups and that is how they role play, I get that. That is why I didn't make this post about the hostile RP that we received yesterday! This is about the robbery of tents that happened last night while we were offline. The reason I have an issue with this is for a few reasons. 1.) There was no RP gain out of it for anyone

2.) It is not realistic because a few of us were "sleeping" in some of those tents and for them to just get "swiped out from under our bodies" makes no sense at all. 3.) We have no enemies so there is no good RP excuse for anyone to take our tents and trash our camp

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THIS IS ABOUT PEACEFUL GROUPS WITH NO ENEMIES, THEREFORE, THERE IS NO REAL RP REASON FOR THE CAMP TO BE FUCKED WITH

I have a few suggestions to fix/help this problem, the 1st being to require a camp to be initiated on before it can be robbed, or be dismantled. The 2nd being that, IF an offline raid were going to happen, then there should be a post on radio chatter by the people who will be doing the attack warning the camp owners about it, so that there is a notice about the event. I feel that there should be a set time before the attack that this notice has to be posted (ex. 4 hours notice). 3rd but not least, I think that there should be some sort of ACTUAL REASON to OFFLINE RAID the camp, such as, the camp owners killed someone you know or something like that, because planting food for anyone that wants it and playing music for people to enjoy, isn't a reason to get robbed.

Thank you for reading this suggestion post, I hope to see some good criticism and further this discussion with anyone interested! :D 

Samaritan    347

As much as I agree that there should be protection whether that be by yourselves/like minded groups, using some kind of rule wouldn't be fair. I know you say there isn't an RP reason to attack your settlement but we are years into the apocalypse and people are going to take things with or without your permission which therefore gives people an RP reason to take your stuff. Unfortunately it's going to be up to your group to protect your things.

I think you have made a slight error by now 'advertising' where your base is as this will attract those naughty bandits even if you are peaceful. Back in the mod/early SA the Free Medics were peaceful/neutral but some groups constantly attacked them. The best settlements are ones that are hidden and the location passed to trusted people in game through word of mouth, being nomadic also helps, only spending a few days in one place then moving. This limits the amount of undesirables knowing the location.

I agree however that there should be a difference between taking your things and griefing and if you think it is griefing then make a report.

Beni    868
47 minutes ago, descendants said:

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THIS IS ABOUT PEACEFUL GROUPS WITH NO ENEMIES, THEREFORE, THERE IS NO REAL RP REASON FOR THE CAMP TO BE FUCKED WITH

I skimmed through the red parts and saw this.... Well, I have one thing to say about this... 

I will fuck with the camp/people because A) I want their shit. It's as simple as that... If the group is a peaceful group, it just make's it a shit tone easier. All I've gotta say tbh. 

As long as no one abuses any game mechanics or breaks any rules, they can pretty much do what ever the fuck they want to your camp... Take anything they want... Sorry mate, that's just the way it is. If there was a rule in place that people couldn't attack... This would not go down well in RP, For example;

Bandit One: Yo fam, I beg we go and jack their shit up from their tents!
Bandit Two: Yeah yeah come
Bandit Three: //Nah we can't, their a peaceful group we can't do shit 
Bandit Two: //ffs

Griefing is not allowed, but stealing is... This will never changed. I can 99.9% Promise you this.

No. Just no...

You wanna protect your camp from bandits, hire some people to do it. 

Edited by Beni

Iso    1235

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're advocating the rule-based protection of neutral settlements in the game.

I have just one question for you: How on Earth would that make any RP sense?

Morality in our situation has all but been thrown out the window. We are well over two years post outbreak and supplies are becoming scarcer and scarcer, they are finite and we are in constant need of more. Given the current state of affairs, neighbour has turned against neighbour to protect their own. Seeing a peaceful settlement, filled with supplies, knowing that they are brimming with rations and lax on security, as well as advertising their location, is simply too attractive a meal ticket to pass up. What else would you expect from this? This is how, at least in my projections, it would play out 9 times out of 10. Further protecting settlements via rule-armour simply restricts RP potential with no explicable reasoning in-game or out of character. Not to mention how unfair it is to a segment of the RP community, restricting them with rules whilst freeing another with the same rule-set.

Edited by Elmo

Dusty    1587

All you have to do right now is become a faction and then claim Altar as your settlement. Then you'll be able to basically kill anybody that does that stuff to your camp.

That being said, I don't think any sort of rules or protection should be given to settlements or camps that aren't IG things. For example, if you want to have a settlement or camp, you should recruit people so you can protect your own claim, or hire a group to help you. You shouldn't have to rely on OOC rules just so your stuff doesn't get taken. I've always been of the mind that if you cannot protect your claim, you don't deserve to have it.

Aberration    0

Put your hands up bruv this is an attack you fucked with me n me boiz

Nah fam fuck off we protected this is a safe space. U gonna be taking a  3 to 5 day nap otherwise.

Ah shit. U rite. Ill piss off srry I fucked with ur magic bubble.

ThatRyanGuy    0

I get where you are coming from completely. Back in Outrun days we had many occasions where we would log on to all our shit nicked, but that's just how the game works.

On the flip side I, among others, are completely against settlement rules due to the possibilities of them being abused.

I don't see any rules like this being put in however I recommend a few things. Firstly, don't store valuable shit in your tents. Also, get yourselves some barrels and store your important shit there. I know you guys focus a lot on farming and such so maybe have a barrel full of shovels and seeds and shit. 

Im pretty sure there is already a rule against griefing, but you are never gonna catch anyone out for that. You just gotta deal with it

Edited by ThatRyanGuy

Descendants    117

I never said that since it was a peaceful camp that it couldn't get attacked, I said that if it were to be attacked it should be while people are actually online so that everyone gets RP out of it. Or if it were to be done offline, then there should be some sort of notice. The fact that tents were stolen with sleeping people in them and the people didn't wake up makes zero fucking since at all.

And yea, It was pretty much griefing, there was no reason to kick the tents down while they were at camp, nor was there a valid reason to take tents.

Also @Samaritan this post is all OOC info, therefore metagaming would be invloved if banditos showed up because of this post

Edited by descendants

Doc Holiday    170

As everyone else says, we can see where you are coming from, but it doesn't make sense ICly. With your current suggestion that people have to be online before it can be raided, that can just lead to metagaming and why would they wait? If there was a camp, full of goodies and no-one around, why would you hesitate? As for a notice, some groups might do it, but if you wanted to do it stealthily, why would you then put up a radio chatter or sign saying that you did it? Lastly, for your people 'sleeping' in the tents, people can't tell that IG as when you log, you vanish into thin air. If a complete stranger walks up, they have no idea if people are sleeping in the tent.

Descendants    117

It makes sense to show up and take what you need, not show up and throw everything on the ground, then take the tents

Doc Holiday    170
1 minute ago, descendants said:

It makes sense to show up and take what you need, not show up and throw everything on the ground, then take the tents

Of course it makes sense to show up and take what you need, but some people for some reason feel the need to throw everything on the floor and despawn it. The problem is, there is no way to stop if apart from organising 24/7 guards of the place.

Sofie    0

2 hours ago, descendants said:

It doesn't seem realistic to fuck with people that want nothing but to offer you anything you need. It makes no sense to rob our camp and steal all of our shit when we did nothing to you and we aren't your enemies. YES I know there are bandit groups and that is how they role play, I get that. That is why I didn't make this post about the hostile RP that we received yesterday! This is about the robbery of tents that happened last night while we were offline. The reason I have an issue with this is for a few reasons. 1.) There was no RP gain out of it for anyone. 2.) It is not realistic because a few of us were "sleeping" in some of those tents and for them to just get "swiped out from under our bodies" makes no sense at all. 3.) We have no enemies so there is no good RP excuse for anyone to take our tents and trash our camp

It is realistic to fuck with anyone during the apocalypse if you think that's the ideal way of surviving. People care too much about how their actions will make others feel. Life is supposed to be a living hell in-game where people fear, steal, disrespect, torture and kill each other. Even a group with no bad intentions, in fact just wishing to help, would be a target to those who are most desperate and have lost their norms. I get that an offline robbery is a quite shitty action because of the things you mentioned, mainly #1 and #2. But #3 is not a valid argument in my opinion.

I have a few suggestions to fix/help this problem, the 1st being to require a camp to be initiated on before it can be robbed, or be dismantled. The 2nd being that, IF an offline raid were going to happen, then there should be a post on radio chatter by the people who will be doing the attack warning the camp owners about it, so that there is a notice about the event. I feel that there should be a set time before the attack that this notice has to be posted (ex. 4 hours notice). 3rd but not least, I think that there should be some sort of ACTUAL REASON to OFFLINE RAID the camp, such as, the camp owners killed someone you know or something like that, because planting food for anyone that wants it and playing music for people to enjoy, isn't a reason to get robbed.

I believe everyone should be allowed to rob. Forcing people to initiate first would only allow the large groups to do so. Which means that all robbery-scenarios would end with either a gunfight or the supplies owners raising their hands, instead of a man sneakingly taking a vegetable and you yelling/punishing him. 

A radio chatter would make it more enjoyable to roleplay out the robbery. However, those who do offline robberies would most likely not admit it IC nor OOC. It would also realistically not make sense for everyone to shout out their bad actions over the radio, making themselves targets.

You having supplies that other survivors need is enough of a reason to be hostile in my opinion. But I do agree with you that robberies should never be done while the owners are offline since it provides no roleplay and only base actions on gear.

Edited by Sofie

Descendants    117
2 minutes ago, Sofie said:

A radio chatter would make it more enjoyable to roleplay out the robbery. However, those who do offline robberies would most likely not admit it IC nor OOC. It would also realistically not make sense for everyone to shout out their bad actions over the radio, making themselves targets.

It can be a private frequency, so only the two groups would know

Sofie    0
2 minutes ago, descendants said:

It can be a private frequency, so only the two groups would know

My opinion still stand.

Also how have they got hold of each other's frequencies? The only solution there would be for the robbers to leave a note and you contacting them. Which you can over an open frequency already. Won't change anything.

Edited by Sofie

Descendants    117
  • 5.3 You may not focus on out of character gains to the detriment of RP. "Rule play" is prioritizing rules and OOC information above more appropriate IC actions or behavior. Always prioritize role play over rule play.
  • 6.1 You must always have a valid in character reason which would justify a hostile situation. See also rule 5.3.

I just wanna post these here :D 

Doc Holiday    170
3 minutes ago, descendants said:
  • 5.3 You may not focus on out of character gains to the detriment of RP. "Rule play" is prioritizing rules and OOC information above more appropriate IC actions or behavior. Always prioritize role play over rule play.
  • 6.1 You must always have a valid in character reason which would justify a hostile situation. See also rule 5.3.

I just wanna post these here :D 

Again though, if someone is raiding a base, the rules don't really matter to them as no one can see them, so nothing can be reported. The phrase, "It's only a crime if you get caught" is rather appropriate here.

Flapjack    66

To be honest, it's a little silly to log off in a building notorious for having glitchy doorways. You cannot exactly complain about the people potentially abusing game mechanics, when you've pretty much set yourself up in a circumstance which is almost guaranteed to screw you over. Unless you actually catch them in the act of doing it maliciously, I wouldn't chuck around such accusations. At least, that's how I see it.

Regarding the main focus of this post; I somewhat understand where you're coming from, in some aspects. Honestly, the whole "we're not enemies, we're nothing but nice to them - why would they rob us?" thought process confuses me. Why wouldn't they? Especially if it's a far more powerful group, who indulge in banditry. At this point, it makes perfect sense to me that larger groups would purposely either screw over settlements and their supplies, or simply take them for themselves.

I thought I'd give my opinion considering despite being a part of the same group, I was not aware of this situation and have a varying view on the matter. As I honestly see nothing wrong with this.

Gama103    1

What is the point of offline raiding if it doesn't promote RP?
I've been on DayZRP for a couple of months and they thing that is "ALWAYS" stated by every member of the forums is that ROLEPLAY is more important than anything else. 

Someone said that the reason that someone would attack someone's group is because they're bad people and they want the stuff that others have. Of course, it's the apocalypse and the world is full of shitty people, i get it. But, why making offline raids if it ain't gonna promote any kind of RP because the owners of the camp aren't online? If you do this, then it means that you only care about the goodies they might have stored in their base and nothing else. 

That's the thing that i was told back in a "troublesome" encounter i had before: RP is more important than Gear.

So, why risking a potentially good RP between two groups for just some gear?
If you think about it, it really is potentially good RP

Edited by Gama103

Samaritan    347

Also @Samaritan this post is all OOC info, therefore metagaming would be invloved if banditos showed up because of this post

Using OOC info to 'come across' a groups' settlement is of course a rule break but it is incredibly hard to prove unfortunately. Altar Hill is very well travelled so who's to say those banditos didn't just happen to be walking that way?

Anyway, having a settlement is great but it is also a curse. Effectively protecting a settlement needs 24 hr inhabitants to guard against shitty things happening. When my group built a settlement (mod version, 'Solace') we had 3+ allied groups guarding it at all times. It isn't a groups fault if you're not there, they just see free stuff and fill their boots. Like I said deliberately griefing your settlement is a no, no. However there is going to be a RP reason like I said, 2+ years in and people are taking anything they can get their hands on.

Ultimately is it a shitty way to do things while you're offline, yes. Is it against the rules, no.

Edited by Samaritan

Castiel    1124

Yeah I totally agree those pesky bandits have no reason to rob any camps in the apocalypse why don't they just find their own loot!!!! Let's have a safe zone where we can keep all of our gear away from those pesky hostile role players who just want to ruin our campfire shenanigans 

Descendants    117
1 minute ago, Castiel said:

Yeah I totally agree those pesky bandits have no reason to rob any camps in the apocalypse why don't they just find their own loot!!!! Let's have a safe zone where we can keep all of our gear away from those pesky hostile role players who just want to ruin our campfire shenanigans 

10/10 shitpost

Castiel    1124
Just now, descendants said:

10/10 shitpost

^_^

It's a ridiculous idea. Doesn't matter if you're billy mcfriendlypants who gives to charity every day and never hurt a butterfly, it's the zombie apocalypse. I could care less if you're friendly, insane or anywhere in the middle. If you have supplies or tents that I need to survive, I will take it. Settlement rules already exist we don't need more.

Grimnir    662
2 minutes ago, descendants said:

10/10 shitpost

Not really, I'd call it satire to get a point across. I agree, there aren't safezones in the apocalypse.

CooperCream    1
5 hours ago, descendants said:

There is about to be a lot of text, so I will keep it all color coded, Red=Important to read, Green= Background info, still important but not as much as everything else, Purple= My suggestion and why

Now I know what you are thinking just by reading the title, I have seen posts about this before and they all ended almost the same, with everyone criticizing the people who own the camp saying it is a game and it is realistic to get robbed. But before you shit-post please hear me out! :D 

So recently The Hidden Garden boys and my group, Altar AM have set up a camp at Altar Hill. Our camp is peaceful, we have no enemies, we give shit out to people for free, and welcome anyone into our camp to eat and drink as much as they want, possibly trade a few things, and use our running toilet and hot shower(ran by solar panels and a generator). But aside from all of that, there was a group that showed up yesterday and harassed the fuck out of us, generally we were bugged by it, like any other person would be ofc. They were "kicking" down our tents and shooting doors. They did all this AFTER we helped their guy out earlier that day, but they showed up and were basically trying to bait us into initiating, they surrounded the compound and did nothing but deconstruct our tents that took a few days to get and set up, and shit talk. After this they left and we logged off about an hour or so later. 

Today I got a message from a friend that all of our tents are gone and that the doors to the building were glitched, leaving him locked up on the roof because that is where he logged off at. Therefore, whoever locked the doors, possibly unknowingly abused game mechanics and locked him up there.

Now, my suggestion is that there should be some form of protection for friendly and neutral groups. It doesn't seem realistic to fuck with people that want nothing but to offer you anything you need. It makes no sense to rob our camp and steal all of our shit when we did nothing to you and we aren't your enemies. YES I know there are bandit groups and that is how they role play, I get that. That is why I didn't make this post about the hostile RP that we received yesterday! This is about the robbery of tents that happened last night while we were offline. The reason I have an issue with this is for a few reasons. 1.) There was no RP gain out of it for anyone

2.) It is not realistic because a few of us were "sleeping" in some of those tents and for them to just get "swiped out from under our bodies" makes no sense at all. 3.) We have no enemies so there is no good RP excuse for anyone to take our tents and trash our camp

Thank you for reading this suggestion post, I hope to see some good criticism and further this discussion with anyone interested! :D 

I do agree with you'r point on offline raiding, I feel as tho that it is a real problem, first is that the people who own the camp would obviously wake up if they hear someone ravaging you'r camp, but there can be a situation where they try to kill the camp owners in their sleep, which is really hard when the people who owns the camp are offline, there could be a reason for offline raiding, the problem is only how will the go about stealing from a camp where the people are "asleep" I would love to see some suggestions on what to do about it, because i can't find out a way to go about raiding offline players.