Server time: 2017-08-20, 19:27

Sign in to follow this  
Chief

Ambient music to enhance RP

Chief    597

Sounded outlandish to me at first, but having an ambient playlist (thanks to @JakeWalford for the idea)

I have found that even Rp when you are alone can be 100 times better when roaming around IG.

And in small groups when having a watch-together open with a playlist I believe adds to the overall feel and makes for a better Rp experience in a group as well.

Thoughts? Would you try it?

I've done this once or twice I very much enjoy doing it it's been some time might have to see if this is something I want to get into again!

Descendants    115

I do this all the time! Pretty much the whole time I have been playing dayzrp xD I just keep it low enough that I can hear people talking and stuff, but loud enough that I can hear it if I focus on it

Samaritan    253

I do it, used the following in the past:

Edited by Samaritan

Castiel    1124

Have done this before, it really does enhance everything. ^_^

Yeah feels like the games more single player in a good way. Like everyones genuinely a character over a guy or girl behind a microphone. Really enhances the experience. 

I've done it before and it's pretty good. The gangs event a while back was made better by the 21 savage playlist I had set up, and I usually have music in the background whenever I play anyway

I have never done this before but I think it would put someone in the "mood" to do a specific type of roleplay, putting on music before i get in game makes me want to play and then having music play in the background while playing is a no go for me this is because sometimes i can't hear the person and even when i put the music on low i sometimes can't hear them. Its maybe just me but i really like the idea about having music in the background but really i have only tried it once so i will give it ago next time i am in game. 

The best thing for this would to maybe have a playlist within a music website so you can share you music that you have in the background when you play to everyone else. For example spotify I think this would be a good idea and if you went out your way to do this then again it would be nice and cool to listen too. I know everyone has there own music they want to listen to but sharing your music with others may enhance their roleplay in a different way. I don't know I might sound like i am going to deep into this but again "hey" it's a cool idea to do for the community and if the adims like it then maybe add a section on the website for ambient playlist. But overall a really good idea i like it +1. 

Chris    61

I'm gonna be the black sheep here, I guess. :D

First thing I do when I start any game is mute the music.  Even games with amazing soundtracks, like Fallout.  In games where audio can give you clues (footsteps, bullet snaps, distant talking), I can't stand the music making me miss something important.

I know I'm in the minority, though.

No thanks. I cannot stand music while in multiplayer games, RP especially.

Samaritan    253

I tend to use it when I'm on my own and it is low so I don't miss any in game cues. When the RP kicks in or when I see other people I switch it off most of the time. As long as it is low and doesn't really interfere with anything going on in game it can enhance things, the right kind of ambient music is key though (no voices etc.).

Still my favorite soundtrack, and it works especially well when it's dark or rainy :)

Ender    502

I usually have one of these two playing it gives so much more to running around the country especially in the rain

Back when i played a campfire RP character I used to have a soundtrack which just added more ambient sounds - things like wind blowing, leaves rustling, at night there would be crickets and owls, I loved it. 

I remember someone saying something about this before... I believe it was Husky?... might not be.

But I tried it a few times and it was alright, I much prefer to listen to music... lol

Doc Holiday    155

For me personally I have playlists for whatever character I'm playing or whatever mood I'm in, but every now and then when you are by yourself and exploring Chernarus, ambient music is nice. I especially like the Firewatch theme, mainly because it suits the game so well.

Not so much on RP, but whenever I played public I put the original mod sounds to play in the background. Made me sad since the launch when they weren't in the standalone, even though there was an option for music volume as well.

If anyone enjoys those original ambient sounds I can drop a link here. There are already some "blank" soundtracks among the files so that the sounds won't play continuously. Just put them in VLC or whatever and switch on shuffle. You can also add more blank soundtracks by just copy pasting as many of them as you like.

http://puu.sh/u3qRx/e74e5aa862.rar

I tried this out awhile ago, and I might try it again.

Personally I'd say it's best used when by yourself than with others. If you lower the sound then that can work, and if you get it just right I could see it helping the mood (who knows maybe it'd help you get in character more) But personally I'd rather leave it off so I can focus on the people in front of me.

Edit: I had rampage's old horror playlist he'd play a while back on my old computer, though I'm too lazy to turn it on and look for it :P 

Edited by King Box