Server time: 2017-08-20, 02:06

Sign in to follow this  

How to deal with awkwardness while Text rping?

Question

I haven't gotten in the game in a while as I'm working on a character's story and I do other things, but when I played Titus I would sometimes use text to emote things, as the in game animations obviously aren't the best.

One thing I ran into is that sometimes people would say 'dude where are you just standing still" when I'm typing. Now I'm not the fastest typer but I'm not slow either, I'll just make a typo sometimes and have to go back.

How should I deal with a situation like this? If I'm with people that know I text rp it won't be a problem, but what about first encounters?

8 answers to this question

Elmo    908

Its not your burden to bear, if people ask why you're standing still and you're text RPing, simply ignore the situation. Glossing over it ignores the awkwardness entirely and keeps you immersed in the RP. When I'm RPing with TextRPers, I never address why they're standing still, I treat it like we're having a conversation with pauses for thought instead of "hey, why you not moving mate?" 

Essentially, focus on your emote, they should know what's happening once you've done it.

Make shorter emotes?

Instead of *He would clear his weapon* just type *Clears weapon* ?

Edited by Dustin

Well if you have something you emote regularry what i do is bind it to a key so when i need it i can just use one way to avoid this maybe :)

When meeting a text roleplayer I consider it's my job to small talk while you are writing a reply or just kinda talk to myself-ish. That's why I love meeting text roleplayers, I can talk as much as I want without being interrupted.

I agree with @Kevin

Or you could just be a mute and emote everything.

Ron    752

Take a look at this: 

might help you out ;)

/solved.

Edited by Ron

Honestly, I agree with @Vapor

You'll have to just type faster, usually the better RPers can help accommodate for TextRPers but a lot of newer members don't understand it completely. 

Edited by Charlo