Server time (UTC): 2019-06-21, 00:22
Sign in to follow this  
WaveSayHi

Microphone

For some months now I play in a group with @Ron @Conor. For me one of the best textRP'ers I have ever met. I personaly voice RP and use emotes for certain situations. Obviously we are friends and I am biased, but I agree with @Wong - They keep up with me in text and they use emotes to express their mood which makes it easy for me to catch the "tone".

There are also others like @The Spartan - Just recently I was his hostage. He plays a female character. The hostile roleplay he gave in Text was great and really immersive for me. He also played once a mute female character which was actually awesome. Roleplaying without words, or using emotes like she was writing with a stick on the ground and whisteling.

I actually start to enjoy TextRP'ers. I have seen how often they get ignored, how often no one reacts to their roleplay as everyone's focus is on the voice RP'ers. I sometimes hold myself back in voice, as I fear that someone only will respond to me and ignores the TextRP'ers I am with.

I really wish for you to run in to great TextRP'er just so you can understand where I am coming from.

I do think that great RP is not limited to only voice RP. This community has awesome roleplayers, in text and in voice.

Edited by Terra

I don't mind some text RP, just annoying when you run into a group of like 6 people and 4 out of the 6 use text, I dunno who's talkin :/

I hate it when people can't spell for shit, and  take forever to reply to you.

Not gonna lie if they are fast at typing and can spell, doesn't really break my immersion.

If you're a good textRPer and can type fast and still be consistent with spelling then it's all good with me, I textRP when my family is around sometimes. 

A HUGE part of this whole fucking debate could be solved if Bohemia did ONE. SIMPLE. THING:

Auto-run.

Other than that, there are lazy, impatient motherfuckers who are too entitled to actually read and use words and imagination, and I think sometimes people need to go elsewhere if they think RP is all about how cool or edgy they can sound over expensive microphones, and some of these types are more concerned with ammo burning holes in their pockets, or what witty bullshit they can spew over VOIP instead of actual development.

Roleplay should come first and foremost as a story, and many stories are told through text, words, writing... Some people don't realize what that is, or what it means, or what stories can become. There are things with pages and words...

Also known as books, for those of who have never turned an actual page in their life, or have no patience for one of the most basic fundamentals of society: Reading and writing.

In the end, it's all about enjoyment and fun, and patience. We are all actors on a stage, improvising. Half the time? I dislike voice-RPers because they have no goddamn thought filters and just say immediately what comes to mind without taking the time to think. Many times, I've heard Voice-RPers exhibit OOC traits that are totally contrasting to their actual character ideas, simply because they just say what comes to mind without taking into account how their characters react believably to certain situations.

Text RPers can sometimes use more imagination through actual description and thought process because they take a few moments to consider before they tell their side of the story on this immense stage we share.

You only truly know your character when you can drop them into any situation EVER and know EXACTLY how they would react. Keywords: How THEY would react. Not YOU, as an OOC influence. THEM. Not YOU. Your CHARACTER. Not... YOU... get the point.

In the end? It is a double-edged sword. I advocate Text-RP, and I always will, because I've done it since I can remember. I am totally open to story-telling no matter what form. But to condemn one or the other? I will criticize in return, no holds barred.

The simple idea of actually PUNISHING text-RPers is akin to Trump trying to silence EPA, NASA, and the like.

So a huge fucking fat -1 ... Not at your ideas, but the simple fact I've been encouraged by several people to waste my time replying to this pointless thread that you could have instead used a search-function to research upon.

Edited by SatansNightOut

57 minutes ago, SatansNightOut said:

-umsnip-

:ph34r:

In seriousness though, textRP is simply an option some people use and most of the more seasoned users of it are quite quick at typing. Plus, not to mention males playing females and females playing males kinda have to use textRP, and I would recommend that instead of a terrible voice changer. That or train your voice to go the other way, like Dora did. Anyways, I don't think microphones should be forced, TextRP has and always will be a viable alternative to VOIP.

Pretty much everything has been said already, just throwing in my 2 cents.
TextRP can ruin your immersion, yeah. So can RP in Voip. It really depends who you meet. It can make me feel uncomfortable having to wait for people to type everything out but that's an issue on my side I guess. I've met some great text RPers, like @Autumn, whose character would only talk to people he trusts. I've spent several weeks RPing with mainly him and he gave me some great character development with only using emotes until he finally talked to me using voip.
I've met some people that can easily jog along with you, stop and type, and then catch up with you. And you wouldn't have to stop.
I see where you are coming from but punishing people for doing something their character requires to do or they chose to do because it makes them feel more comfortable is simply wrong.

Text RP adds a lot of things that you simply can't express through voice.

Removing text RP would also make it impossible for a few people to role-play a character of the other gender (those who simply can't replicate the voice).

Also people who simply can't achieve an authentic enough accent choose to rather RP via text and RP their accent through text rather than voice.

I totally agree with @JimRP here with the frist sentence that you made. If I clear my throat while using a microphone then people will play it off like it was nothing but if a text rp'er types that he clears his throat then to me this will get noticed brewer than a microphone users. Really no one should get punished for the way that you want to play it's like saying the way you right is the wrong way so someone is going to punish you for it it doesn't make sense does it? You really have to see if from there POV and say hey they are taking some times to write what they are trying to write I will say something while they are doing it or do some kind of action while I am waiting for them to finish. It's that easy I have been in many situations we're a person has been taking forever to type and so I do something on my phone or take something to drink IC while waiting it's that simple. Just cut the people some slack when it comes to text rp'ers.

Edited by Bradley

This is the reason why i left dayzrp tbh , all the text rpers initiating behind walls so you don't know where they are , massive disadvantage to voice rpers . Also because of this exploit of the text , there have been many people text rping more so they can have a tactical advantage or talk to people through an invisible radio that we can't hear in game . *Sigh* Rant over. 

Nothing wrong with text initiations. They're necessary for large groups/areas.

Edited by Tosh

36 minutes ago, Saintz said:

This is the reason why i left dayzrp tbh , all the text rpers initiating behind walls so you don't know where they are , massive disadvantage to voice rpers . Also because of this exploit of the text , there have been many people text rping more so they can have a tactical advantage or talk to people through an invisible radio that we can't hear in game . *Sigh* Rant over. 

Let's be fair here, it's not exactly proper text roleplayers who do this.

Plus, most of the time - it isn't even "abuse". As said by Tosh, they're essential for initiating on large groups and areas. It's a case of making sure it doesn't end up in a report-able mess, where people didn't hear the initiation and such.

Just now, Austin said:

Let's be fair here, it's not exactly proper text roleplayers who do this.

Plus, most of the time - it isn't even "abuse". As said by Tosh, they're essential for initiating on large groups and areas. It's a case of making sure it doesn't end up in a report-able mess, where people didn't hear the initiation and such.

But even if text rp people initiate , isn't it still a disadvantage to voice rpers as we don't know where they are even if they are good text rpers there is no directional , so how do you know where they are ?. Also ya , it is good to use text rp to initiate to make sure everyone knows , but it is also very bad aswell , people should know if someone knows they are being initiated on common they run around like headless chickens , shoot or put there hands up. 

I have also been playing another rp server which they only allow voice and i was talking to the admins and they said they have never had a problem like that since they fixed the voip. 

Just now, Saintz said:

But even if text rp people initiate , isn't it still a disadvantage to voice rpers as we don't know where they are even if they are good text rpers there is no directional , so how do you know where they are ?. Also ya , it is good to use text rp to initiate to make sure everyone knows , but it is also very bad aswell , people should know if someone knows they are being initiated on common they run around like headless chickens , shoot or put there hands up. 

Well, in my eyes - a good mass-initiation, is done through both text and voice - and honestly, from my experience, that's what most people do.

Just now, Austin said:

Well, in my eyes - a good mass-initiation, is done through both text and voice - and honestly, from my experience, that's what most people do.

I agree on that one but i think that the text and the voice should come from the same person so you know where you are getting initiated  from.

Text RP can and always will have a place here, in my eyes at least. 

Simply put, Text RP allows for an element of detail that perhaps a voice RPer cannot deliver, not through any fault of their own, but by the limitations of the in game VOIP, the disconnect between man and monitor etc. For example, when RPing out pain, torture, emotions, or any range of RP activities that cannot exclusively be conveyed/performed by voice then text is required, thus enhancing the RP experience with a descriptive action or emotive thought. It can also be an indication of the emotional/physical state of a character and can lead down to many more avenues of RP, there are simply too many examples to list but a truly descriptive and talented Text RPer can paint a picture with a few sentences that all the VOIP in the world could not.

The benefits of Text RP far outweigh the limitations of it, if you have a RPer who is equally good with text and VOIP, the experience is unparalleled fun and immersive. Perhaps you cannot converse on the move, perhaps you cannot converse fluidly, but those can all be solved by a little more patience and compensation from the VOIP RPers, such as myself. Whenever I run in to Text RPers, I make an extra effort to keep the conversation flowing from my end as I appreciate the difficulty of keeping up with conversation when you are typing and everybody else is in the moment with VOIP. Honestly, when I meet a Text RPer its a mixture of RPing with myself and RPing with them, the burden of conversation is on me because I have the advantage and they do not, so I treat it as such. If you do that, you'll probably have a lot more fun, trust me :)

TL;DR Text RP is great.

Role Play, My good Sir was invented through Text and chats since the beginning.

You see... Back in the day, They believed that detail would come along with the text, and they were right! Nowadays we use and preform Role Play using different methods and ways, Vocal or Text maybe even both? But here in DayZRP I find it personally important to combine TextRP along with the Vocal part of Roleplay, as the rest were saying detail.

TextRP is able to state and clarify some thing we cannot through the vocal options that DayZ offers us, As for example if you preform some action and you would like to show it clearly to the person infront of you, and basically... The general text communication is part of something that allows us to extend and evolve our personal RP experiences.

For example:  You got injured critically, and apparently your voice got fucked up as well, So you add the element of the text that enhances the option of role play in certain cases and situations, Or if you would like to rp is a female, or a younger individual but your voice wouldn't really fit, Options are unlimited!

Punishment? Is indeed not the right or even the logical way of taking care of text roleplay, Text roleplay should be adored, Praised, and loved. (Used to know a few great textRP'ers and me being one of those that use text often to describe certain actions, I can clarify and state that it is one of the main cores of roleplay, especially on dayzrp).

Also, Frustration due to slow typing communication is understandable, But hey... We roleplay each by his or hers way, gotta respect it all and realize that DayZRP is about serious SurvivalRP, unlike some other communities that force VOIP only, due to their focus being more over the gameplay, rather than Role Play itself.

TextRP shall stay, That's what roleplay is about.

On 2/14/2017 at 2:47 AM, SatansNightOut said:

A HUGE part of this whole fucking debate could be solved if Bohemia did ONE. SIMPLE. THING:

Auto-run.

Other than that, there are lazy, impatient motherfuckers who are too entitled to actually read and use words and imagination, and I think sometimes people need to go elsewhere if they think RP is all about how cool or edgy they can sound over expensive microphones, and some of these types are more concerned with ammo burning holes in their pockets, or what witty bullshit they can spew over VOIP instead of actual development.

Roleplay should come first and foremost as a story, and many stories are told through text, words, writing... Some people don't realize what that is, or what it means, or what stories can become. There are things with pages and words...

Also known as books, for those of who have never turned an actual page in their life, or have no patience for one of the most basic fundamentals of society: Reading and writing.

In the end, it's all about enjoyment and fun, and patience. We are all actors on a stage, improvising. Half the time? I dislike voice-RPers because they have no goddamn thought filters and just say immediately what comes to mind without taking the time to think. Many times, I've heard Voice-RPers exhibit OOC traits that are totally contrasting to their actual character ideas, simply because they just say what comes to mind without taking into account how their characters react believably to certain situations.

Text RPers can sometimes use more imagination through actual description and thought process because they take a few moments to consider before they tell their side of the story on this immense stage we share.

You only truly know your character when you can drop them into any situation EVER and know EXACTLY how they would react. Keywords: How THEY would react. Not YOU, as an OOC influence. THEM. Not YOU. Your CHARACTER. Not... YOU... get the point.

In the end? It is a double-edged sword. I advocate Text-RP, and I always will, because I've done it since I can remember. I am totally open to story-telling no matter what form. But to condemn one or the other? I will criticize in return, no holds barred.

The simple idea of actually PUNISHING text-RPers is akin to Trump trying to silence EPA, NASA, and the like.

So a huge fucking fat -1 ... Not at your ideas, but the simple fact I've been encouraged by several people to waste my time replying to this pointless thread that you could have instead used a search-function to research upon.

I get how strongly you feel about it, but honestly it was just a suggestion i decided to throw out based on personal experiences i've had with TextRPers. There's really no need to get upset over it and i apologize if anything i suggested or mentioned either bothered you or offended you. IMO this isn't really the place for politics, i was just simply throwing out my current thoughts to see what other people have thought. I would've regretted posting it since everybody so strongly disagrees, but instead of doing that i'm trying to be open-minded and take in other peoples ideas and be more empathetic when it comes to the situation to my already biased POV, and i ask you to do the same to me.

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

Text RP can and always will have a place here, in my eyes at least. 

Simply put, Text RP allows for an element of detail that perhaps a voice RPer cannot deliver, not through any fault of their own, but by the limitations of the in game VOIP, the disconnect between man and monitor etc. For example, when RPing out pain, torture, emotions, or any range of RP activities that cannot exclusively be conveyed/performed by voice then text is required, thus enhancing the RP experience with a descriptive action or emotive thought. It can also be an indication of the emotional/physical state of a character and can lead down to many more avenues of RP, there are simply too many examples to list but a truly descriptive and talented Text RPer can paint a picture with a few sentences that all the VOIP in the world could not.

The benefits of Text RP far outweigh the limitations of it, if you have a RPer who is equally good with text and VOIP, the experience is unparalleled fun and immersive. Perhaps you cannot converse on the move, perhaps you cannot converse fluidly, but those can all be solved by a little more patience and compensation from the VOIP RPers, such as myself. Whenever I run in to Text RPers, I make an extra effort to keep the conversation flowing from my end as I appreciate the difficulty of keeping up with conversation when you are typing and everybody else is in the moment with VOIP. Honestly, when I meet a Text RPer its a mixture of RPing with myself and RPing with them, the burden of conversation is on me because I have the advantage and they do not, so I treat it as such. If you do that, you'll probably have a lot more fun, trust me :)

TL;DR Text RP is great.

I get what youre saying, and in these situations it wouldn't be an issue. I only find it somewhat annoying when someone constantly uses it ingame as a form of always communicating as, like you said, there are some things that can't be expressed through VOIP that can be done through TextRP, but it also works the other way around. It seems as though it came off as if i don't try to accommodate for those who use text, or i simply don't like RPing with them when this isn't the case at all. I just find if everyone involved uses VOIP it feels more organic and fluid.

55 minutes ago, Alexsys said:

Role Play, My good Sir was invented through Text and chats since the beginning.

You see... Back in the day, They believed that detail would come along with the text, and they were right! Nowadays we use and preform Role Play using different methods and ways, Vocal or Text maybe even both? But here in DayZRP I find it personally important to combine TextRP along with the Vocal part of Roleplay, as the rest were saying detail.

TextRP is able to state and clarify some thing we cannot through the vocal options that DayZ offers us, As for example if you preform some action and you would like to show it clearly to the person infront of you, and basically... The general text communication is part of something that allows us to extend and evolve our personal RP experiences.

For example:  You got injured critically, and apparently your voice got fucked up as well, So you add the element of the text that enhances the option of role play in certain cases and situations, Or if you would like to rp is a female, or a younger individual but your voice wouldn't really fit, Options are unlimited!

Punishment? Is indeed not the right or even the logical way of taking care of text roleplay, Text roleplay should be adored, Praised, and loved. (Used to know a few great textRP'ers and me being one of those that use text often to describe certain actions, I can clarify and state that it is one of the main cores of roleplay, especially on dayzrp).

Also, Frustration due to slow typing communication is understandable, But hey... We roleplay each by his or hers way, gotta respect it all and realize that DayZRP is about serious SurvivalRP, unlike some other communities that force VOIP only, due to their focus being more over the gameplay, rather than Role Play itself.

TextRP shall stay, That's what roleplay is about.

Yes, i'm fully aware that TextRP came first and obviously VOIP came later on. Also, emotes are much different then strictly using TextRP to communicate. My opinion is no longer that they should be punished, but i still find it somewhat a roadblock in most situations i've been in which involve TextRpers.

21 hours ago, Bradley said:

I totally agree with @JimRP here with the frist sentence that you made. If I clear my throat while using a microphone then people will play it off like it was nothing but if a text rp'er types that he clears his throat then to me this will get noticed brewer than a microphone users. Really no one should get punished for the way that you want to play it's like saying the way you right is the wrong way so someone is going to punish you for it it doesn't make sense does it? You really have to see if from there POV and say hey they are taking some times to write what they are trying to write I will say something while they are doing it or do some kind of action while I am waiting for them to finish. It's that easy I have been in many situations we're a person has been taking forever to type and so I do something on my phone or take something to drink IC while waiting it's that simple. Just cut the people some slack when it comes to text rp'ers.

Well, you are punished if you write incorrectly, atleast i'd assume so. Such as using "lmao" or "omg" or even blatantly misspelling words like "u r ded". 

On 13.2.2017 at 3:24 PM, WaveSayHi said:

-Snip

I wonder how many times we have to read and deny this suggestion..
Always a new person who thinks Text RP should be banned.

To OP, this will never happen. Please never again attempt to make this happen as it is just distressing.
To other newcomers thinking this is a good idea. ^ The above applies.

If text RP'ers bother you to the point were you ignore them. Please leave the server, or else face Bad RP punishment.
And to oppress your suggestion even more. One of the Winners or Roleplayer of the Year is (Were when won) purely a text RP'er

My suggestion, close the thread as it will get nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Chow said:

I wonder how many times we have to read and deny this suggestion..
Always a new person who thinks Text RP should be banned.

To OP, this will never happen. Please never again attempt to make this happen as it is just distressing.
To other newcomers thinking this is a good idea. ^ The above applies.

If text RP'ers bother you to the point were you ignore them. Please leave the server, or else face Bad RP punishment.
And to oppress your suggestion even more. One of the Winners or Roleplayer of the Year is (Were when won) purely a text RP'er

My suggestion, close the thread as it will get nowhere.

I've already addresed that 1) I revoke my earlier opinion. 2) I don't ignore them, i try to make it work as fluidly as possible. 3) Sure TextRP is great, i may even try it myself, it's just in a format where it's mostly people talking with their voices so it doesn't fit as well IMO. Also, i lplan on closing the thread a little later on 

Edited by WaveSayHi

16 hours ago, WaveSayHi said:

I get how strongly you feel about it, but honestly it was just a suggestion i decided to throw out based on personal experiences i've had with TextRPers. There's really no need to get upset over it and i apologize if anything i suggested or mentioned either bothered you or offended you. IMO this isn't really the place for politics, i was just simply throwing out my current thoughts to see what other people have thought. I would've regretted posting it since everybody so strongly disagrees, but instead of doing that i'm trying to be open-minded and take in other peoples ideas and be more empathetic when it comes to the situation to my already biased POV, and i ask you to do the same to me.

I get what youre saying, and in these situations it wouldn't be an issue. I only find it somewhat annoying when someone constantly uses it ingame as a form of always communicating as, like you said, there are some things that can't be expressed through VOIP that can be done through TextRP, but it also works the other way around. It seems as though it came off as if i don't try to accommodate for those who use text, or i simply don't like RPing with them when this isn't the case at all. I just find if everyone involved uses VOIP it feels more organic and fluid.

Yes, i'm fully aware that TextRP came first and obviously VOIP came later on. Also, emotes are much different then strictly using TextRP to communicate. My opinion is no longer that they should be punished, but i still find it somewhat a roadblock in most situations i've been in which involve TextRpers.

Well, you are punished if you write iincorrectly, atleast i'd assume so. Such as using "lmao" or "omg" or even blatantly misspelling words like "u r ded". 

I do feel strongly, but I wasn't upset. I'm just passionate and I tend to advocate many others that came before me to stick up for this regularly repetitive and pointless argument. If you're offended because I am being blunt? You'll be just fine, I promise. I'm just articulating, or trying to share my opinion (unless that's totally illegal on DayZRP anymore).

It just sounds like people with the same opinion you seem to share have little patience to wait for other people to express their stories. It's akin to the type of people I come across in real life who tend to wait for you to finish speaking so they can vomit their own response, instead of them taking the time to actually weigh-in and take into account a dedicated, formulated and equal response to the conversation at hand.

Patience goes a long way with imagination. You find it to be a roadblock?

Others don't feel the same way. Dedicated RPers find a modicum of patience in regards to the opposite party while reciprocating their thoughts and creativity.... Or they should. Otherwise, you're just trying to rush your own white noise and just trying to get out what YOU want to say without taking the time to actually give a meager fuck about the RPer you're engaging and socializing with.

Absolutely no need to rush imagination, or call it a "roadblock." Your only limit is your imagination (and patience, it seems, from your demeanor).

It's an RP scenario. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the rare innovation.

Or don't. 

Edited by SatansNightOut

32 minutes ago, SatansNightOut said:

I do feel strongly, but I wasn't upset. I'm just passionate and I tend to advocate many others that came before me to stick up for this regularly repetitive and pointless argument. If you're offended because I am being blunt? You'll be just fine, I promise. I'm just articulating, or trying to share my opinion (unless that's totally illegal on DayZRP anymore).

It just sounds like people with the same opinion you seem to share have little patience to wait for other people to express their stories. It's akin to the type of people I come across in real life who tend to wait for you to finish speaking so they can vomit their own response, instead of them taking the time to actually weigh-in and take into account a dedicated, formulated and equal response to the conversation at hand.

Patience goes a long way with imagination. You find it to be a roadblock?

Others don't feel the same way. Dedicated RPers find a modicum of patience in regards to the opposite party while reciprocating their thoughts and creativity.... Or they should. Otherwise, you're just trying to rush your own white noise and just trying to get out what YOU want to say without taking the time to actually give a meager fuck about the RPer you're engaging and socializing with.

Absolutely no need to rush imagination, or call it a "roadblock." Your only limit is your imagination (and patience, it seems, from your demeanor).

It's an RP scenario. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the rare innovation.

Or don't. 

I'm not offended at all i just got the vibe you were. It seems youre making alot of assumptions about me because i have a different opinion than you and you insist on continuing these assumptions even when i've tried to explain that i'm not inherently the same as other people who have a similar opinion as me. It's got nothing to do with me if you don't want to be open minded to the thoughts i'm trying to convey. 

16 minutes ago, WaveSayHi said:

I'm not offended at all i just got the vibe you were. It seems youre making alot of assumptions about me because i have a different opinion than you and you insist on continuing these assumptions even when i've tried to explain that i'm not inherently the same as other people who have a similar opinion as me. It's got nothing to do with me if you don't want to be open minded to the thoughts i'm trying to convey. 

The irony when you demand that someone be open minded to you whilst simultaneously shitting on an entire RP type and being unwilling to accept them as equal or better RPers to your (and my) style (meaning VOIP RP). For someone who claims to not be offended, that was one of the most passive aggressive posts I've ever seen in my life, not trying to mock you, just making you aware of it.

I respect your opinion and I would simply suggest you keep RPing and keep an open mind to different RP styles. Sure, you're going to meet some cringy idiots and some morons. However, you're also going to come across some great characters and great RPers along the way. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, everyone has something to offer. I think as you continue to play, your opinion on this topic will slowly start to change. By the way, when I first started, I thought text RPers were "not real RPers" and I thought they should be restricted to only RP with other text RPers, I was proven soooo wrong and I happily ate my words, so that's why I feel strongly like you're in my old position. Give it time.

15 minutes ago, WaveSayHi said:

To be fair, you didn't exactly word your suggestion in the most tactful of manners. So, expect pretty blunt responses - especially when it's something some of us feel the need to defend.

You didn't really elaborate much in your OP, and more seemed more like a good ol' moan than a genuine suggestion. You weren't exactly being open minded to others' responses either. It became more of a "yeah, I get what you're saying *but*..."