Server time: 2017-08-20, 04:18

Sign in to follow this  
WaveSayHi

Microphone

WaveSayHi    0

Now, i know that there's some very talented roleplayers who simply don't have a mic sometimes or there family or something is asleep so they can't be loud - but i find it very frustrating when people only communicate through typing. I feel as though it should be addressed more commonly. Unless you're being tortured and don't want to scream into your mic to avoid looking like a spastic IRL you should be required to use VOIP IMO, maybe have a slight punishment for solely using text. For me, the late reaction times and waiting around - and not being able to communicate while moving really ruins the immersion. 

eh, i personally quite enjoy text rpers but punishing people for typing? what the fucc

No.

As much as I dislike text RP personally, just no. I hardly come across text RPers to begin with and it's really not that big of an issue when I do mostly.

Jamie    1181

Are you suggesting that we eliminate text roleplayers? No. 

Some people actually have a mic but prefer to roleplay via text to deliver their character in a far better way. I know some great text roleplayers a sterling job. So what if you have to wait a few seconds for them to type while running? If we limited to microphone use only, then it would restrict people of roleplaying who they want. Perhaps they want to roleplay a character with a different language to their own, text roleplay allows it. If you wanted to roleplay a different gender but don't feel you can crack the voice? Text roleplay allows that. 

There is no harm that you dislike text roleplayers. Waiting a few seconds can be quite daunting. But because of this, you want to put a ban on it? No. 

No. Just, no...

As a TextRPer myself I find this absolutely ridiculous. Why punish someone for a type of RP they enjoy. What, just cause you dislike waiting for them to type?

Just leave people be and let them do the type of RP they want to do.

Edited by Mira
added something more

WaveSayHi    0
3 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Are you suggesting that we eliminate text roleplayers? No. 

Some people actually have a mic but prefer to roleplay via text to deliver their character in a far better way. I know some great text roleplayers a sterling job. So what if you have to wait a few seconds for them to type while running? If we limited to microphone use only, then it would restrict people of roleplaying who they want. Perhaps they want to roleplay a character with a different language to their own, text roleplay allows it. If you wanted to roleplay a different gender but don't feel you can crack the voice? Text roleplay allows that. 

There is no harm that you dislike text roleplayers. Waiting a few seconds can be quite daunting. But because of this, you want to put a ban on it? No. 

Not a ban by any means, I just don't think it should be allowed 100% of the time. Maybe if they do it constantly after being told not too by staff then maybe one but not just because theyre typing. Sometimes to convey a certain message is fine, but solely using text is frustrating IMO - plus, if they don't have access to an actual microphone then it shouldn't be a required thing when whitelisting. I agree that there are some great text RPers, it's just a suggestion

5 minutes ago, Mira said:

No. Just, no...

As a TextRPer myself I find this absolutely ridiculous. Why punish someone for a type of RP they enjoy. What, just cause you dislike waiting for them to type?

It's not just because it takes longer for them to communicate, it's also because with lack of actual voice it can be interpreted differently and even sometimes be void of emotion - unless you're adding other language clues to give a certain meaning which takes even longer. I think the place for TextRP should be on the forums but that's just IMO, i didn't mean to potentially offend or bother anybody by it

Doc Holiday    155

So, the main reason people use Text RP is so that they can play the other gender. This means that they aren't limited to a character or style. From what you've said, people now can't play female or male characters as they could be banned? That or be forced to use voice modifiers to sound different. I don't see a problem with it, apart from the occasional annoyance of having to wait for someone to type. Some of the best RPers are text.

WaveSayHi    0
3 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

So, the main reason people use Text RP is so that they can play the other gender. This means that they aren't limited to a character or style. From what you've said, people now can't play female or male characters as they could be banned? That or be forced to use voice modifiers to sound different. I don't see a problem with it, apart from the occasional annoyance of having to wait for someone to type. Some of the best RPers are text.

I've actually never thought of that before, i was thinking more along the means of breaking immersion. I am starting to see differently though due to that and what others said bringing to my attention

Tbh only text roleplay I ever encountered that I enjoyed was @SatansNightOut. I hate text roleplay. Plus one from me (sorry not popular opinion) just makes everything so much slower. Trying to walk and talk with somebody and they stop and type every 3 seconds.

I know where you came from.

WaveSayHi    0
8 minutes ago, Mamba said:

Tbh only text roleplay I ever encountered that I enjoyed was @SatansNightOut. I hate text roleplay. Plus one from me (sorry not popular opinion) just makes everything so much slower. Trying to walk and talk with somebody and they stop and type every 3 seconds.

Yeah, i mean now that i have insight what it's like for actual TextRPers i've gotten more humble when it comes to the subject, though i still disagree with it ingame

on topic: I sometimes have to use text due to my family being awake and fuck me are they loud (Just ask the poor souls who sit in ts with me) I'm not good at it and feel bad for the people I encounter but you have a fair few people @Ron @Conor @SatansNightOut that are amazing at it and can also keep up with the talk without having to wait 5mins for a reply.

WaveSayHi    0
1 minute ago, Wong said:

on topic: I sometimes have to use text due to my family being awake and fuck me are they loud (Just ask the poor souls who sit in ts with me) I'm not good at it and feel bad for the people I encounter but you have a fair few people @Ron @Conor @SatansNightOut that are amazing at it and can also keep up with the talk without having to wait 5mins for a reply.

Yeah there's always exceptions to it being a negative thing but for the most part i find it ruins immersion and creates alot of awkward pauses and lack of emotion

10 minutes ago, WaveSayHi said:

Yeah there's always exceptions to it being a negative thing but for the most part i find it ruins immersion and creates alot of awkward pauses and lack of emotion

Never encountered @Ron in game. Sure it's top tier.just judging based on what I encountered personally

Oh and I don't want anyone punished for text rp...wtf ????

Edited by Mamba
Ganja got me in its grips

Ron    752
1 hour ago, WaveSayHi said:

Now, i know that there's some very talented roleplayers who simply don't have a mic sometimes or there family or something is asleep so they can't be loud - but i find it very frustrating when people only communicate through typing. I feel as though it should be addressed more commonly. Unless you're being tortured and don't want to scream into your mic to avoid looking like a spastic IRL you should be required to use VOIP IMO, maybe have a slight punishment for solely using text. For me, the late reaction times and waiting around - and not being able to communicate while moving really ruins the immersion. 

3 minutes ago, WaveSayHi said:

Textrp is a challenge for both sides yes ... but isn't that something positive? Both sides get the chance to role play a story  and create something great together and you cut that down due to 'I cannot move while communicating' ?  Because of a silence in game? The only 'lack' I see there is a lack of creativity.

I cannot count the amount of times I was ignored, told to 'speak' or metagamed but still I go on because text rp is a great way to create emotions, detailed emoted actions, conversations and moods in game. If you havent encountered that yet , I'm sorry to hear.

I (female) role play as a Chernarussian male.  What is your suggestion to that? Restrict my role play and only stick to things I am able to role play out in voice? Where is the fucking creativity in that?! Take a look at this to maybe open up what to me appears as a pretty close minded view.  Play a week as a textrper and then think about your statements again.

Some Voip -  rpers (I assume like you)  who struggle to role play with me due to my text/typing (or what you call 'awkward pauses') are immersion breaking to me, ever thought about that? 

I'm serious. Unable your voice hotkey and give it a try. If you need help, gimme a shout.

WaveSayHi    0
11 minutes ago, Ron said:

Textrp is a challenge for both sides yes ... but isn't that something positive? Both sides get the chance to role play a story  and create something great together and you cut that down due to 'I cannot move while communicating' ?  Because of a silence in game? The only 'lack' I see there is a lack of creativity.

I cannot count the amount of times I was ignored, told to 'speak' or metagamed but still I go on because text rp is a great way to create emotions, detailed emoted actions, conversations and moods in game. If you havent encountered that yet , I'm sorry to hear.

I (female) role play as a Chernarussian male.  What is your suggestion to that? Restrict my role play and only stick to things I am able to role play out in voice? Where is the fucking creativity in that?! Take a look at this to maybe open up what to me appears as a pretty close minded view.  Play a week as a textrper and then think about your statements again.

Some Voip -  rpers (I assume like you)  who struggle to role play with me due to my text/typing (or what you call 'awkward pauses') are immersion breaking to me, ever thought about that? 

I'm serious. Unable your voice hotkey and give it a try. If you need help, gimme a shout.

I don't struggle to RP with TextRPers, i interact with them as normal as possible. With the gender thing, i already brought up earlier that that had never been brought to my attention before and i now realize there's people in the community who do so. You can do basically everything you can with TextRP in VOIP, but more fluidly and genuine. I understand if youre playing the opposite gender, or use it sometimes, but using it solely because you either dont have a mic or just prefer using text is very frustrating to those trying to create an immersive experience. I've, personally, never seen any example of textrp in this community that couldn't of been done either the same or even better with VOIP - of course when it comes to communication. Not things such as emoting. I probably won't be trying it anytime soon considering i'd rather not potentially create even more stale RP due to my lack of experience with it ingame. I've also read the link you posted, and I no longer think it should be punishable. Still not my favourite aspect of the community though

Edited by WaveSayHi

Species    237

I don't know if it was stated, but here I go. 

Anither reason why some people might Text RP is because they aren't confident in how they sound when playing their character. They can't alter their voice to fit the persona they are trying to get across, or they just don't think it sounds right when they try. I know that when I first started playing I joined SVR,  a Russian group back in the day, and I had no clue how to sound Russian. So I would Text RP till I finally practiced and made myself sound half decent.

All in all there are many reason why people use Text. May it be Confidence, Portrayal of a Persona, or playing another Gender. People have reasons and if you restrict it you will scare off more people.

Eagle    344

Slow typers are annoying when doing hostile situation such as beating or torture as it can leave a 30-second gap before you get a response (I speak first hand from that) but text RP is embedded into DayZRP and will not be removed.

Flapjack    66

I'm not going to sit here and repeat what others have said, as much as I agree, though I will provide an example of why I personally kinda of have to text RP; just to give you some perspective.

In my personal instance, I have a pet parrot - who is incredibly noisy. Meaning, that if I wasn't to text RP you wouldn't be able to hear shit anyway. So, put it this way; would you rather listen to him squawking, singing and chirping away, not allowing me to get a word in edge ways or that I simply text RP'ed? 

The ONLY instance when I disapprove of text RP, is when people don't bother trying to be even remotely grammatically correct. And no, I'm not some kind of petty Grammar Nazi. When I say that, I mean when people are using borderline 'text-talk' - ie; "how r u?", "ur a dick". "cya". I even saw someone use a ":D" face in chat once...that triggered me beyond belief.

Either way... 

I couldn't really care if it takes them a fair few seconds to respond. It's not gonna change, that's for sure. All I ask of you, is don't avoid text RP'ers simply because they seemingly annoy you. 

Having a microphone be required can restrict some peoples RP and can ruin immersion also. Say if I am playing a female character, would you really want to hear a manly voice? Didn't think so. It depends on the situation but personally I don't have a problem with text RP'ers as I have gotten some good RP out of them.

I get that waiting for text-RP can be boring, but it's a crucial part of RP similar to doing emotes and I don't see it being removed anytime soon. Noone should be punished in any way for wanting to text RP.

My best character is a Text RPer.

You shouldn't force someone to RP in a style that they might not like. Some people come from communities where all you can do is TextRP such as GTARP. I know when I first joined TextRPing made it so I could confidently RP as I was really scared as I was also new to RPing.

It's annoying running into slow text RPer's

But, some people can pull it off pretty well. Most people use VOIP, we don't need to make a rule about it.

It's been suggested a billion times and it's still gonna be a no, text RP is the most common form of roleplaying on pretty much any platform and it's here to stay.

Edited by Husky

Never. I don't meet text roleplayers often, but those I meet provide better roleplay than many of the VOIP users.

Edited by Sofie

I share the same opinion as Tosh, I personally dislike it but I wouldn't remove it, simply because some people do enjoy it and are good at it.