Server time: 2017-10-22, 23:04
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
WaveSayHi

"I ain't gonna beg"

WaveSayHi    0

I was wondering if you guys thought that saying "i ain't gonna beg" in a hostage situation would be NVFL. My character essentially lives by 2 rules - to help people and never bow to another man. So, when faced with a gun to his head and in any other life threatening situation where he could be potentially asked to beg for his life, he refuses. However, he doesn't blatantly say "oh, i'm not gonna beg so go ahead," he uses facts and evidence and sometimes even manipulation to try to subtly sway his captors into not taking his life, however he will never ever say "please dont kill me" or "don't kill me" at all really. What do you guys think?

Grimnir    662

If I ask you to beg for your life while I have a gun to your head you either bend or break. I probably wouldn't report you, but I sure as hell would blow your brains out. It's pretty simple, there is a demand, there is a consequence and if you decide to not comply you should have a good way to get out of it alive otherwise it would be NVFL.

Edited by Grimnir

WaveSayHi    0
1 minute ago, Grimnir said:

If I ask you to beg for your life while I have a gun to your head you either bend or break. I probably wouldn't report you, but I sure as hell would blow your brains out. It's pretty simple, there is a demand, there is a consequence and if you decide to not comply you should have a good way to get out of it alive otherwise it would be NVFL.

I understand that with most characters, but there are people in the world who would refuse too in that situation. I don't blame them for killing due to noncompliance, however i don't think its NVFL if you try other means to get around it

Grimnir    662
Just now, WaveSayHi said:

I understand that with most characters, but there are people in the world who would refuse too in that situation. I don't blame them for killing due to noncompliance, however i don't think its NVFL if you try other means to get around it

Oh I agree if you are ready to permakill your character as a consequence, but it would be kinda shitty if you do that over and over again. It's like the good old excuse "I killed him because I am insane", no one cares about your char you have to follow the same rules everyone else has to follow.

Roman    0

Well it's easy to be hardcore when you know your character will just respawn and continue living. I'm not sure how many people value their principals that stead fast when faced with their death. If it's roleplayed out well you can only hope that the other party ain't being dicks about it afterwards. Then it also depends on the situation and how it's played out. 

WaveSayHi    0
1 minute ago, Roman said:

Well it's easy to be hardcore when you know your character will just respawn and continue living. I'm not sure how many people value their principals that stead fast when faced with their death. If it's roleplayed out well you can hope the other party ain't being dicks about it afterwards. Then it also depends on the situation and how it's played out. 

Yeah, i understand what you're saying though i do believe that sometimes the most stubborn people would stick by something taught to them from birth. One line that i'll use is "I have 2 rules i live by, to help who cant help themselves, and to never bow. I haven't broken either of those yet - and i don't intend too now." Funnily enough, i haven't been killed yet when using this on that character. 

5 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

Oh I agree if you are ready to permakill your character as a consequence, but it would be kinda shitty if you do that over and over again. It's like the good old excuse "I killed him because I am insane", no one cares about your char you have to follow the same rules everyone else has to follow.

Yeah i agree but i think this is a situation where it's roleplay over ruleplay you know? I mean, it's not blatantly breaking  the rules just kind of close to it to add a more interesting character.

Grimnir    662
1 minute ago, WaveSayHi said:

Yeah i agree but i think this is a situation where it's roleplay over ruleplay you know? I mean, it's not blatantly breaking  the rules just kind of close to it to add a more interesting character.

It is breaking the rule, if you don't wanna live. Also "interesting characters"... a char who is an absolute badass to proud to beg for his live isn't interesting he is just annoying. As I said if you want to go down that road permakill your char after you get executed for it. You are acting that way because you know you will respawn at the cost, would you be such a badass if you wouldn't come back from the dead?

Roman    0
1 minute ago, WaveSayHi said:

Yeah, i understand what you're saying though i do believe that sometimes the most stubborn people would stick by something taught to them from birth. One line that i'll use is "I have 2 rules i live by, to help who cant help themselves, and to never bow. I haven't broken either of those yet - and i don't intend too now." Funnily enough, i haven't been killed yet when using this on that character. 

Well if your roleplay is good enough you might get around not begging. Like you say, you might start saying other things that get you out of begging. Just show that you do value your characters life by other means. But it shouldn't become a habit that you choose death every time you get captured because of some pride.

It's not realistic since that character would never be able to do that again in real life. He would only be able to refuse one time and he'd be dead.

WaveSayHi    0
1 minute ago, Roman said:

Well if your roleplay is good enough you might get around not begging. Like you say, you might start saying other things that get you out of begging. Just show that you do value your characters life by other means. But it shouldn't become a habit that you choose death every time you get captured because of some pride.

It's not realistic since that character would never be able to do that again in real life. He would only be able to refuse one time and he'd be dead.

I'm fully aware of that, and i try to do everything you said. I also try to treat my characters as an extension of myself, so the "ill just respawn" mentality is not even crossing my mind. Thanks for the feedback though it's interesting hearing other POVs.

3 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

It is breaking the rule, if you don't wanna live. Also "interesting characters"... a char who is an absolute badass to proud to beg for his live isn't interesting he is just annoying. As I said if you want to go down that road permakill your char after you get executed for it. You are acting that way because you know you will respawn at the cost, would you be such a badass if you wouldn't come back from the dead?

No, i'm actually acting that way because a character from a TV show that i modeled my character after said the same thing. In no way do i not value my characters life, I try my absolute hardest to keep them alive, as if im killed it feels like that character died anyways and most of the time, i change it upon respawn anyways. I try other means of preserving my life, but ofc it depends on the situation - not all of my characters do this. I think it adds a more in depth aspect if you attempt to roleplay it out and manipulate your captors instead of just begging for your life like it's copy and pasted from every other RP story. Me personally, i wouldn't be a badass - but the character that i'm playing is. 

CooperCream    1
6 minutes ago, Roman said:

If my character were to tell his hostage to "beg" and if he is too proud to beg, Then the last solution isn't just to murder him just because he wouldn't beg, I see its more useful if you just beat him around and torture him for a little bit if he doesn't beg. If you just straight up murder him for not begging, I don't see why you took him/her as a hostage in the first place.

Doc Holiday    170

So, the important thing here is trying not to break the rules. They initiate, you comply. As a hostage, feel free to be this badass who ain't gonna bend his knee to anyone, but as soon as there is a demand, it gets more complicated i.e. "Bow down to me right now or I'll shoot you". If you do it, and bow down, the RP will continue and it might give you more of an opportunity to tell your own story. If you don't do it, it can be seen as NVFL. Now, this doesn't mean they can make you do anything, as there have to be reasonable demands, but if there are five guys with guns to your head and demand that you bow, if you don't it it is NVFL. However, if you want to permadeath, it's different, as long as you state this before hand. A good ol' //you have my permission to permadeath me   will mean that they know why you might do something. If you don't tell them it could result in them reporting you for NVFL.

Roman    0
4 minutes ago, CooperCream said:

If my character were to tell his hostage to "beg" and if he is too proud to beg, Then the last solution isn't just to murder him just because he wouldn't beg, I see its more useful if you just beat him around and torture him for a little bit if he doesn't beg. If you just straight up murder him for not begging, I don't see why you took him/her as a hostage in the first place.

Well maybe they've done all of that already? Like I stated earlier, it's very depended on the situation.

Grimnir    662
4 minutes ago, WaveSayHi said:

No, i'm actually acting that way because a character from a TV show that i modeled my character after said the same thing. In no way do i not value my characters life, I try my absolute hardest to keep them alive, as if im killed it feels like that character died anyways and most of the time, i change it upon respawn anyways. I try other means of preserving my life, but ofc it depends on the situation - not all of my characters do this. I think it adds a more in depth aspect if you attempt to roleplay it out and manipulate your captors instead of just begging for your life like it's copy and pasted from every other RP story. Me personally, i wouldn't be a badass - but the character that i'm playing is. 

Well good for him, but if he's on his knees infront of me and I tell him to beg he will beg. If your char isn't suicidal he has the basic instinct to survive, history showed that many times for example in slavery. I am sure there were many strong and "badass" slaves but in the end they prefered to live rather than dying for shit reasons. I am sorry but a TV show isn't really a good example for a character. TV shows mostly try way to hard to created flawless characters the audience can love and wants to identify itself with. From looking at your character page I can barely see any flaws, he's quick with his guns, he's smart, he''s a leader and he's a tank. Don't get me wrong you can try all sorts of shit to survive, but if you are asked to beg you should beg. It is common yes, but that's because it is realistic.

WaveSayHi    0
6 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

So, the important thing here is trying not to break the rules. They initiate, you comply. As a hostage, feel free to be this badass who ain't gonna bend his knee to anyone, but as soon as there is a demand, it gets more complicated i.e. "Bow down to me right now or I'll shoot you". If you do it, and bow down, the RP will continue and it might give you more of an opportunity to tell your own story. If you don't do it, it can be seen as NVFL. Now, this doesn't mean they can make you do anything, as there have to be reasonable demands, but if there are five guys with guns to your head and demand that you bow, if you don't it it is NVFL. However, if you want to permadeath, it's different, as long as you state this before hand. A good ol' //you have my permission to permadeath me   will mean that they know why you might do something. If you don't tell them it could result in them reporting you for NVFL.

When i said bow - i didn't mean literally, my character will do anything that's asked of him except kill the innocent or grovel on the floor and plead. Thanks for the input though i wholeheartedly agree

CooperCream    1
Just now, Roman said:

Well maybe they've done all of that already? Like I stated earlier, it's very depended on the situation.

Well obviously if they can withstand the pain of torture and not beg, That person would have to have a really strong motive to not beg for his life because in a situation like that, you usually have to beat them into submission. 

Skinner    506

So you're telling me that your character is so bad ass that with a loaded gun to their head they would not even ask for their life? Literally they have their own life and death on the line and they are so ultra hard core that they're rather die right there on the spot than ask no to be killed? Sorry I'm not buying it.

I get where you're coming from, and I agree there are some people in this world who will die before they piss themselves and wimper on the floor with snots and tears streaming from their face, but we're not talking about that. We're not talking about crying and ratting out all their friends and unreasonable stuff like that, all I'm talking about it asking to not be killed and to make a basic effort to bargain for one's life.

I agree there is a place for characters like that in dayzrp, and there is room for that kind of RP in hostile RP, but it has a limit. If you make no effort to bargain for your life or cooperate in some fashion, and don't even ask to be spared, you should die. Likewise even if the other party has execution rights, if you are a crying sobbing puddle of piss on the ground begging for your life and bargaining to dish out all kinds of favors and information, I would consider it poor RP to execute that person even if you do have rights, depending on the situation and the severity of their prior encounter (shot my pal in the leg? Ok maybe we have a deal. Permakilled my pregnant wife? Sorry you are dying)

WaveSayHi    0

Well good for him, but if he's on his knees infront of me and I tell him to beg he will beg. If your char isn't suicidal he has the basic instinct to survive, history showed that many times for example in slavery. I am sure there were many strong and "badass" slaves but in the end they prefered to live rather than dying for shit reasons. I am sorry but a TV show isn't really a good example for a character. TV shows mostly try way to hard to created flawless characters the audience can love and wants to identify itself with. From looking at your character page I can barely see any flaws, he's quick with his guns, he's smart, he''s a leader and he's a tank. Don't get me wrong you can try all sorts of shit to survive, but if you are asked to beg you should beg. It is common yes, but that's because it is realistic.

Funnily enough, that's not the character that refuses to beg - him being a leader/tactition would mean he'd definitely put his pride aside to gain an advantage later on. Damien on the other hand, is a stubborn ass kid and if he were to beg, to him, he'd be really dead anyways as he broke the only promise that meant anything. I didn't model him completely after the character, just some aspects i took that i liked and mixed them with others. We can talk about characters all day and why or why not they may beg, but i still believe that still valuing your life and trying to find other ways to get out like offering information while refusing to directly cry and beg is better than doing it and that being it. 

Grimnir    662
2 minutes ago, CooperCream said:

you usually have to beat them into submission. 

But why? I am not a slaver and if someone is that strong, then why should I leave him alive? I won't let him live so he can come after me and my friends 10min later and I won't waste an hour on a random guy just to break him and make him my bitch. 

WaveSayHi    0
3 minutes ago, TheMatt924 said:

So you're telling me that your character is so bad ass that with a loaded gun to their head they would not even ask for their life? Literally they have their own life and death on the line and they are so ultra hard core that they're rather die right there on the spot than ask no to be killed? Sorry I'm not buying it.

I get where you're coming from, and I agree there are some people in this world who will die before they piss themselves and wimper on the floor with snots and tears streaming from their face, but we're not talking about that. We're not talking about crying and ratting out all their friends and unreasonable stuff like that, all I'm talking about it asking to not be killed and to make a basic effort to bargain for one's life.

I agree there is a place for characters like that in dayzrp, and there is room for that kind of RP in hostile RP, but it has a limit. If you make no effort to bargain for your life or cooperate in some fashion, and don't even ask to be spared, you should die. Likewise even if the other party has execution rights, if you are a crying sobbing puddle of piss on the ground begging for your life and bargaining to dish out all kinds of favors and information, I would consider it poor RP to execute that person even if you do have rights, depending on the situation and the severity of their prior encounter (shot my pal in the leg? Ok maybe we have a deal. Permakilled my pregnant wife? Sorry you are dying)

Well of course i'm going to bargain for my life and try everything i can to not die - except begging. 

But why? I am not a slaver and if someone is that strong, then why should I leave him alive? I won't let him live so he can come after me and my friends 10min later and I won't waste an hour on a random guy just to break him and make him my bitch. 

Some people would, it just depends on the type of role youre playing

Grimnir    662
Just now, WaveSayHi said:

Some people would, it just depends on the type of role youre playing

Yes they are called sadists, but if I don't get off from making you my slave why would I do it?

CooperCream    1
9 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

That is a question whether or not it was the hostage takers motive to kill the hostage the whole time, but I'm saying that if you just for example gathered some information from him and demanded that he get on his knees and beg, It doesn't change why he shouldn't come back and murder the hostage takers even if they didn't torture him. it will only empower his motivation to get those people who tortured him. 

Edited by CooperCream

Skinner    506
4 minutes ago, WaveSayHi said:

Well of course i'm going to bargain for my life and try everything i can to not die - except begging. 

So let me just take this hypothetical situation to its logical conclusion. What if you are in a situation where you are tied up, surrounded by armed gunmen and alone when the leader walks up to you and puts a gun to your head saying "Listen here, I only want one thing from you and I'll send you on your way. Get on your knees, I want to hear you beg. Do it now, and make it good or you die!" as he cocks the hammer on his magnum. 

Are you seriously telling me in that situation you'd stand defiantly on your feet and wait for your head to get blown off? Welcome to NVFL city, and honestly I can't say I'd be a fan of that character/RP either. It may seem super bad ass to you but it's incredibly boring and  comic book super hero to me.

Edited by TheMatt924

WaveSayHi    0
Just now, Grimnir said:

Yes they are called sadists, but if I don't get off from making you my slave why would I do it?

No clue, obviously its going to end differently depending on the hostage keeper. Some would kill you for blinking, some would have awesome roleplay with you for ages, and some make you a slave. However, i'm not going to twist and change my character ingame to accommodate the circumstance as i try to behave as realistic as possible to my character - and he's not someone who changes who he is because someone barks a little louder. 

1 minute ago, TheMatt924 said:

So let me just take this hypothetical situation to its logical conclusion. What if you are in a situation where you are tied up, surrounded by armed gunmen and alone when the leader walks up to you and puts a gun to your head saying "Listen here, I only want one thing from you and I'll send you on our way. Get on your knees, I want to hear you beg. Do it now, and make it good or you die" as he cocks the hammer on his magnum. 

Are you seriously telling me in that situation you'd stand defiantly on your feet and wait for your head to get blown off? Welcome to NVFL city, and honestly I can't say I'd be a fan of that character/RP either. It may seem super bad ass to you but it's incredibly boring and  comic book super hero to me.

Well, in that situation, i'd offer anything and everything else i can to avoid begging for my life. For example "I can't beg but if you kill me youre gonna regret it", "You know (insert generic group name here)? I can feed you information, i know them!". There's other ways to "plead" for your life without actually begging "please dont kill me!!"

Rewand    0

I mean, it could work if there was good enough build up leading to that moment AND if you're willing to perma your character. If you don't want to perma your character, then don't even think about doing it.

WaveSayHi    0
Just now, Rewand said:

I mean, it could work if there was good enough build up leading to that moment AND if you're willing to perma your character. If you don't want to perma your character, then don't even think about doing it.

Most of the time i permadeath my character, and if not permadeath i don't play him for a long time afterwards.