Server time (UTC): 2019-07-22, 08:44
Sign in to follow this  
ThatRyanGuy

Radio chatter rules gone too far?

TBH Ryan don't use radio chatter, shits fucky as hell.

People bitching at each other that's all it is, but you know what shit happens I guess.

Just gotta shrug it off and add a few more words next time... so those mods can't give you those points for the shittiest reasons.

That's how they getcha! 

6 minutes ago, Oliv said:

-snip-

@Cipher Just explained the reasoning behind my response perfectly

But, again, I did not reply with "FUCK YOU" I replied with "nah"

There is a difference between a meaningless insult, and an answer to a question on the radio

5 minutes ago, Oliv said:

You've received several answers to why your post broke radio chatter rules.  Once when you received the points, a second time in your appeal, and now multiple times in this thread.

Now, on the broader spectrum of the radio chatter rules.

The radio chatter rules are designed to stop people from doing things such as jumping into open frequencies and and telling people to "go kill yourself" or "Fuck you", etc, that was plaguing radio chatter before. In that, it also requires that posts that aren't just classified as "radio warrior" posts contain some effort and substance. The radio forums are a fantastic source of RP for those that can't always get in game and need to be held to good standards, just as we would in game RP.

Please read my previous reply. Not every one-word response is shit roleplay. A lot can be taken, both about the situation and the character, from these so-called "low-effort" responses.

Again, seems like everything has to be explained on a surface-level to people on the other end of roleplay. You want me to come to this meeting? Work for it. I'm not going to spoon-feed lines that you can pick up on. This isn't LA Noire.

Edited by Cipher

13 minutes ago, Cipher said:

-big snip-

Actually, no, I would rather him not post that, he'd get points for that as well.

And here we go with the over-dramatizing things that a lot of people happen to get into the habit of.  No one is looking for you to make a drama piece, no one is looking for you to write an essay on why you shouldn't go to a meeting.  What staff is looking for is meaningful responses; effort, at least a little bit of it, put into the actual response to the message.  The community, nor does staff for the matter, doesn't need to sift through countless posts that only amount to, "Fuck you" or "Nah" or "Sure" for even that matter.  It's not even a matter of character actions or how a character has developed.  If you can put the effort into making emotes look good and just making the overall message look good for the reader, then you can make the actual important part of the message look good as well.  I'm sorry, no matter amount of proof you have of all these askings for meetings that the character has had, it seems like a hella nice excuse to just say, "because of this, this, and this, I have sufficient enough reason not to put any effort into a post."

Not trying to dig at Ryan either.  I'm sure his character has developed a lot, but it's a poor excuse to say that I can put effort into emotes but not put any effort into the conversation.  The same can be applied to an unnecessary post on the forums.  If someone typically has a background to make well thought out posts and doesn't typically make short, one line posts that add nothing to the topic, it doesn't excuse them for suddenly making an unnecessary post in the moment.

Edited by Cid

5 minutes ago, Cipher said:

Please read my previous reply. Not every one-word response is shit roleplay. A lot can be taken, both about the situation and the character, from these so-called "low-effort" responses.

Again, seems like everything has to be explained on a surface-level to people on the other end of roleplay. You want me to come to this meeting? Work for it. I'm not going to spoon-feed lines that you can pick up on. This isn't LA Noire.

I never said a one word response would automatically be considered to break the rules. I said this:

In that, it also requires that posts that aren't just classified as "radio warrior" posts contain some effort and substance.

That was a general response to all radio chatter posts and the rules that govern them. I already explained I wasn't talking about Ryan's post he was warned for.

i got 18 points out of that i dont fuck with that no more ,

you cant even answer one line questions in there and they mostly expect you to write some sick emot and make it look like you are sending a letter with a pigeon instead of using a radio

Just now, Cid said:

Actually, no, I would rather him not post that, he'd get points for that as well.

And here we go with the over-dramatizing things that a lot of people happen to get into the habit of.  No one is looking for you to make a drama piece, no one is looking for you to write an essay on why you shouldn't go to a meeting.  What staff is looking for is meaningful responses; effort, at least a little bit of it, put into the actual response to the message.  The community, nor does staff for the matter, doesn't need to sift through countless posts that only amount to, "Fuck you" or "Nah" or "Sure" for even that matter.  It's not even a matter of character actions or how a character has developed.  If you can put the effort into making emotes look good and just making the overall message look good for the reader, then you can make the actual important part of the message look good as well.  I'm sorry, no matter amount of proof you have of all these askings for meetings that the character has had, it seems like a hella nice excuse to just say, "because of this, this, and this, I have sufficient enough reason not to put any effort into a post."

Not trying to dig at Ryan either.  I'm sure his character has developed a lot, but it's a poor excuse to say that I can put effort into emotes but not put any effort into the conversation.

This is why the RP will continue to be cookie cutter and this is why character development will remain as static, as basic, and as boring as the game currently. Because people can't look past the meaning of words and only see effort as a minimum spoken word count. This mentality is stunting character development; by making players jump through hoops to express their characters how they want, you are limiting creative freedom.

Again, if at surface level it can't be understood by the staff team, that doesn't mean it deserves points. Some of the best literary pieces are ones with the most ambiguous endings. Words and phrases and characters you have really gotta dig into to understand the meaning behind.

b8c9d255665cd474c1b09df4143782ab.jpg

I stopped posting in radio chatter the second the new rules took place. now they're just a worthless point-trap that I dont bother looking at. 

1 minute ago, Cipher said:

This is why the RP will continue to be cookie cutter and this is why character development will remain as static, as basic, and as boring as the game currently.

To say that one word responses in radio chatter is what is going to stunt RP growth for the future is a bit... much.  I suppose I'll leave my conversation at that, because now it's slightly weening off-topic.

1 minute ago, Gatorr said:

I stopped posting in radio chatter the second the new rules took place. now they're just a worthless point-trap that I dont bother looking at. 

And that's sad, because radio chatter, because it is written, offers people the most creative freedom to express themselves how they want while still participating in a roleplay environment. Because it's not live action, people have more time and more freedom to think, as they don't have to think on their feet. Sucks that the staff team is putting this cookie cutter mentality onto people, so that even if there's fantastic reasoning behind a one word response, there is a minimum criteria that one has to meet, else it be deemed "low-effort".

1 minute ago, Cid said:

To say that one word responses in radio chatter is what is going to stunt RP growth for the future is a bit... much.  I suppose I'll leave my conversation at that, because now it's slightly weening off-topic.

I mean, considering that the emotes had nothing to do with the conversation, I'd say the thread was weening off-topic way before this.

Despite these explainations, it still makes 0 sense to me why a response like "Nah." will get points, when a response along the lines of "No, I do not want to come to the meeting. You're not convincing me otherwise." will not. They literally have the exact same meaning, one is just a few words longer. Why does the word count matter when the meaning behind the message is still the same?

Having rules to prevent shitposting, flaming, and memeing on the radio chatter are fine. But when these rules force people to reply in a certain manner rather than the way that there character would at times, I would say that they need a change. I believe @Cipher has put it much more eloquently than I can. 

@Cipher Has hit all of the right points. Not allowing people to rp their characters the way they want to rp them is stupid.

RP is a two way street in the sense that if you want to get meaningful RP out of people you sometimes have to go the extra mile. (Dunno if I'm using "two way street" correctly) So if Thatryanguy says "nah" and the other person wants the RP to go further, then they can push for it. They could ask "Could you elaborate" and if Ryan's character is up for it then there you go! Now you have a more fluid conversation. It was't just Ryan saying "nah" and saying why and having the RP end there, instead, he responded with a curt "nah" and then the other guy asked why.

That's how a conversation would go in real life. In some cases someone might want to say no or yes and then say why, but not all the time. It is all up to the people having the conversation. When I say yes or no and don't say why, my friends don't look at me weirdly and go "have anything else to say?" no, if they wanted more information they'd ask normally. And when I say yes or no, and then say why I said yes or no, then depending on the scenario, the conversation either ends there, turns into somewhat of a debate of them trying to persuade me otherwise, or goes onto another topic.

Also, when our characters get on the radio, there isn't an otherworldly force that is giving them shivers and making them think "better say more then just a yes or no!" so responding with more information itself could be out of character.

Soon people will be getting banned for BadRP for not replying to someone on the radio chatter thread, from the way it seems to be going lol. 

I don't see how, even if it's a short and effortless post, it should garner warning points. MAYBE a verbal warning, if we are being that uptight about it. But warning points? Come on. That's ridiculous. 

Edited by SatansNightOut

I must say that IG I feel that we are free to act out our characters as we want(tho we have rules preventing bad situations). None telling us whos our enemy,friend what to say or not. But if we take a look at RC it's a whole new story. I'm sorry to say but the rules forbids us to act our characters the way we want them(we aren't allowed to answer the way we want example nah). As many has stated, a convo can consist of only yes or no or several lines of words depending on each characters mood. Tho I must point out the part giving points to trolly, rasist behaviour or other behaviours that goes over the line should be warned. Even those that's only emotes. But verbal warning/points for reasonable oneliners is just unfair. Yeah rules are there for ensuring some quality but what quality do we get out of it when we get points thrown after us for a reasonable post? As few said they won't use RC anymore.

The RP should be based on what a real situation could happen like vague answers. Oneliners and so on

I personally see no issue with the radio chatter rules. Radio chatter is still pretty bad but at least it's not as horrible as it used to be. The rules that have been put in place are supposed to keep radio chatter to an ok-ish level of RP. SO if all you wanna say is "uh nah" then maybe radio chatter ain't for you.

I think staff takes punishments a bit to far, the way I've seen everything on the forums handled is just ridiculous. You would think common sense would dictate when they should hand out points and when they should refrain from doing so, apparently that isn't the case. A friend of mine who has (had) a clean record, was handed points for emoting on a radio chatter, his groups private radio chatter for that matter and it wasn't even like he emoted doing something completely absurd like eating a radio (sorry, it's a pretty good example). This is why I miss the old system of handing out points when they were actually warranted, like if someone was flaming and or trolling,

I don't really use radio chatter, only to say something unimportant.... So, I never get in trouble breaking rules. 

Because of that. I don't really care about the rules.

Edited by Vapor

I really do think that the words @ThatRyanGuy said was a 100% giving something back to the op. Reasoning being that if he said " no I am not going to the meeting" but looking into the deeper meaning of this doesn't this mean "nah" in a nutshell. Points are been paced out like candy and trick or treating. The words that you say IC should a hundred percent reforge same union the radio chatter. I know Ryan in game you lucky that you got "nah" out of him. To me the OOC stuff is looked at as equally to the IC text this is because it is read frist and two it sets up for the IC part of the radio chatter. 

When I was in staff, I couldn't find many people who liked the rule. But "it's a rule and we must enforce it, even if we don't like it".

It just needs to be modified, not totally removed. 

Personally I think the radio chatter rules are a bit of a joke and need to be changed slightly because the shit people get pointed for in there is just stupid, not every response should have to be one or two paragraphs long, sometimes a one or two word response it all it needs.

Edited by Mira

*lifts hand*

I always was against the rule but enforced it. I had many discussions, trying to get it changed or removed. I understand the purpose of the rule but I do think it's way too strict and restricts the personal roleplay of any member.

While I can be a total bitch ingame to anyone and insult my enemies, on the radio chatter, when contacting them for example, I cannot. It would result in points and I dont like that. I am not talking about posts which only contain insults, but transmissions with a roleplay message, followed maybe by the same curse words I would and can use ingame.

I can understand why posting only emotes should not be allowed as it is called radio chatter. The purpose is to talk to each other. Everything I emote out is not to see by the other side and therefore unneeded. It should not result in points - snipping is enough.

I don't really understand the point of limiting the IC radio thread when you can do the same thing in character and get away with it. And I've seen posts that have gone un warned that by the new rules should go warned. I will not report them though because simply I do not agree with the rules. Although there was a lot of bitching before hand about "radio warriors" which I do kind of understand but at the same time what is the point to be worked up about this when these people talk the same amount of shit in game. It just doesn't make sense to limit them in that aspect. I do completely agree with the OOC memeing being pointed in radio chatter but then again it was before the newer radio chatter rules came out anyway. To me this is just another way staff has tried to change due to constant bitching and complaining when in actuality everything was fine before hand, and there was just a few salty people that needed something to complain about.

I personally see a reason why the rule was enforced in the first place, which was to stop overly agressive posts and one word responses on most open frequencies -e.g. OP states, "I've been shot, I need help" and someone just goes, "I don't care about you, or your family, do everyone a favour and die". For that, the rule makes sense as it stops the super hostile RP for no reason. However, for more personal radio chatter, like this one, where Ryan knows the OP ICly and has a reason for what he says, I don't think there is a reason for it. Perhaps there should be some sort of check before points are given, as in checking context as to why someone said something, instead of instantly giving the points.

Guest Roach

I just stay away from that section of the forums. TBH I think it's cancer. You can get some amazing RP out of it, but alas, most of it is showing who has a bigger dick (so to speak). So it's not for me and my suggestion is; stay away and just take it in game or TS ;) been working for me without a problem.