Server time: 2017-10-22, 00:53
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
ThatRyanGuy

Radio chatter rules gone too far?

ThatRyanGuy    0

Alright

So my ban appeal got solved a couple days ago, and I was just wondering on people thoughts about this.

I'll give a TLDR. In radio chatter I responded with "uhh... Nah" to the idea of a meeting between groups being set up ICly. I got pointed for this for "adding nothing to the conversation"

I asked in the appeal what I should have said to avoid points in future, and apparently if I had responded with "I am not going to your damn meeting" I wouldn't have got points

So, have radio chatter rules gone too far? If I am literally being forced to write a certain number of words within a radio response, it seems more like the way I play my character is being controlled. Or are mods just looking for the smallest offences to point, even when the post was clearly not intended to break any rules. Either one of these responses said the same thing, but because I didn't write enough, I got points. I would have understood if I had just put something meaningless there, but my response was completely relevant to the conversation, I guess I just didn't say enough words in my response?

Thoughts?

Edited by ThatRyanGuy

APureGamer    55

I agree. Radio chatter is all IC and needs to have separate rules. If your character would only respond with 2-3 words. Then you respond that way. 

LoneStarrr    84

I think short responses such as yours should be completely acceptable. When it comes to just general memes or lowkey flaming, that's when I feel that the points should come into play. 

As long as the radio message is IC and would be considered acceptable in RP, I see no reason to point it. 

Fox    0

I agree with you. I got points for calling someone a retard and "going OOC" in radio chatter because I apparently knew that the person I talked to died the day before and I threatened him with killing him again, when I actually had no clue he died and I was a hostage during the whole sitation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . But " Before you fuckers decide to talk shit. go fuck yourself, your mothers vagina smells like a cabbage " only gets a verbal warning because hey, OP has made such a long radio chatter, which totally makes up for it.
No clue how to act on radio chatter anymore, so I only post when it's absolutely necessary and even then, I say things different from how my character would actually say it. Alot of warnings have been given on radio chatter lately, and don't agree with most of them. Knowing your character ingame, your post was completely fine in my opinion.

Edited by Fox

King Box    0

I looked over the appeal and I'd say it wasn't well thought out imo. (talking about the admin's)

I agree with everything that's been said so far. The only thing that should be banned in radio chatter is unnecessary OOC, which should be obvious even in game.

Also, if it's an open comm and you're playing a dick character, can't you hop in and insult the people because you find whatever they are talking about petty?

I would consider someone like that not adding anything to the convo, but then again, RP is RP, so even things that don't add to the convo should be allowed as long as its RPed.

That isn't even the case here though, as you were adding to the convo.

Edited by King Box

Jamie    1422

As people may be well aware, the radio chatter turned into a meme place where people were constantly posting stuff which didn't contribute at all. 1 worded responses, trolling, discouraging responses etc. The reason the new rule was implemented was to cut down on the petty shit which led to nearly all radio chatters leading nowhere. When someone posted something about needing help, the replies would be 2-word responses only saying fuck off. There's a lot of examples, but you get the idea. 

With your situation regarding the points you received, it's clear Lukzo put some time into creating the thread and was hoping for some roleplay to spiral from it. You replying with "nah" doesn't build up anything. Yes, it makes him aware that you don't want to go to Lopatino but no effort was gone into the reply. If you had constructed up a better reply with some more context instead of no, then you wouldn't have received points. 

Ryan picks up the radio.

Hey, little shit. Give me one good fucking reason for meeting you. I've got no interests at all. You're a slimy shit and you should fuck off. 

He puts down the radio.

This adds a stepping stone for the OP to reply with instead of just "nah." If you put actual effort into the transmissions you do, there's a higher chance you won't receive points. 

If you're not liking the current rules, come up with alternatives which also avoid the points I mentioned in the first paragraph. 

Shark    0

I tried to get rid of radio chatter completely back when I was still in staff. Whole subforum is cancer.

ThatRyanGuy    0
6 minutes ago, Jamie said:

-snip-

I get where you are coming from. But if you actually looked into my post, you would see that I put time and effort into writing out emotes rather than just the "Ryan picks up the radio".

Jamie    1422
Just now, ThatRyanGuy said:

-

But you could literally do paragraphs and paragraphs of emotes, but the only thing that actually gets transmitted is what you're saying plus the sounds you make. It's about the actual content of what is said over the radio, not what book your reading or painting your looking at whilst you say the transmission. People have received points for not actually contributing anything besides emotes. The emotes are good to give the reader some background behind the character saying the transmission, but it's purely on an OOC basis. The main focus should be the IC content. 

ThatRyanGuy    0
10 minutes ago, Jamie said:

-

Yeah but lets be honest, its giving out points for petty shit

Whether you believe I put in effort or not, the response added to the conversation and answered the question asked in the broadcast. I didn't know that I have to shape my character now to be an edgy fucker who comes out with cringy one liners like "slimy shit". It just seems unnessasary that because I was 3 or 4 words off the minimum for what you class as "effort" I would be recieveing points

Edited by ThatRyanGuy

Cipher    0
Just now, Jamie said:

As people may be well aware, the radio chatter turned into a meme place where people were constantly posting stuff which didn't contribute at all. 1 worded responses, trolling, discouraging responses etc. The reason the new rule was implemented was to cut down on the petty shit which led to nearly all radio chatters leading nowhere. When someone posted something about needing help, the replies would be 2-word responses only saying fuck off. There's a lot of examples, but you get the idea. 

With your situation regarding the points you received, it's clear Lukzo put some time into creating the thread and was hoping for some roleplay to spiral from it. You replying with "nah" doesn't build up anything. Yes, it makes him aware that you don't want to go to Lopatino but no effort was gone into the reply. If you had constructed up a better reply with some more context instead of no, then you wouldn't have received points. 

Ryan picks up the radio.

Hey, little shit. Give me one good fucking reason for meeting you. I've got no interests at all. You're a slimy shit and you should fuck off. 

He puts down the radio.

This adds a stepping stone for the OP to reply with instead of just "nah." If you put actual effort into the transmissions you do, there's a higher chance you won't receive points. 

If you're not liking the current rules, come up with alternatives which also avoid the points I mentioned in the first paragraph. 

But why? Who are staff to dictate the roleplay of an individual?  It's clear that Ryan put a lot of effort into the post, via his large amount of emotes and OOC context to make it more readable. Perhaps Ryan Robertson just lost his best friend, and he was in no mood to talk to someone he does not give two shits about. Perhaps Ryan is just a smug cunt that responds to people with the least amount of interest possible, to get a rise out of them. Perhaps Ryan has so little respect for the individual on the other end that he won't give him the satisfaction of more than a one word answer. These are all things that can be worked out from a purely RP standpoint, and staff stunting the roleplay of individuals, however unique their methods may be, is what is making radio chatter shit.

Let me ask you this. If Ryan just decided to say nothing and not post, would that be putting in little effort to roleplay? Could I get pointed for looking at a radio chatter thread directed to me and not responding, because I am not putting in the required amount of effort to roleplaying?

TeigenG    0

i must agree with @ThatRyanGuy. i thought the rules and the radiochatter were to enforce how you should have been acting in real life over a radio. a one liner like "uhh... Nah" to a meeting with a group over a dispute where something is believed to happen. why you should write a whole paragraph for an answer is really hard for me to understand to make it justified would have been said in Real life too. ofc the rules are also in the other hand also there to stop the trolly one like this " Before you fuckers decide to talk shit. go fuck yourself, your mothers vagina smells like a cabbage ". and as you said @jamie , ofc only emotes should get warnings since it doesnt give anything to the chatter its great, but shouldnt the Admin team think what you would have done in the real life?

Edited by TeigenG

Cid    333

Radio chatter rules are fine.  I get the argument that he put in effort to his emotes, but it terms of RP the person on the other end, so to speak, doesn't get to see nor experience anything the character is doing on the other end.  I suppose one could argue that it doesn't matter because you can still put effort into the post, but staff isn't worried about what you are emoting - the important part is what you are saying to the person/people on the other end.  If you are just replying, "nah" what exactly is the point?

I can see both sides, but ultimately, I think the radio chatter rules are fine.  Put more effort into the conversation.  If you can do it with emotes you can do it with chatter.

ThatRyanGuy    0
5 minutes ago, Cid said:

If you are just replying, "nah" what exactly is the point?

The point is that I was saying no to going to a meeting I was invited to

Again, I don't understand why I needed to say anything more

Cid    333
Just now, ThatRyanGuy said:

The point is that I was saying no to going to a meeting I was invited to

Again, I don't understand why I needed to say anything more

Then why put all the effort of the emotes in literally just to say a word?  That's the point.

ThatRyanGuy    0
5 minutes ago, Cid said:

Then why put all the effort of the emotes in literally just to say a word?  That's the point.

What are you even arguing?

The emotes were used for roleplay, believe it or not. Why does the amount of words I used to say the same thing (That being "No")

That's the real question here

Cid    333
3 minutes ago, ThatRyanGuy said:

What are you even arguing?

The emotes were used for roleplay, believe it or not. Why does the amount of words I used to say the same thing (That being "No")

That's the real question here

It's radio chatter.  Not emote chatter.  The main thing that staff cares about in that section is the actual chatter.  I don't care if you post 10 paragraphs worth of effort in emotes into your post, if you still post a single word your post is kinda worthless in a section meant for chatting, is it not?  People always have the option to emote to add to the RP, sure, and most if not all the time it makes things better, but the point is you are meant to chat, not emote.

I suppose the easy way to say it is the emotes are for adding depth to the RP.  What is the point in adding depth to something that doesn't require any depth?

Edited by Cid
more words

TeigenG    0
4 minutes ago, Cid said:

-snip-

isnt it meant that we should be acting like we would have been in the real life? just acting out a character that would have done like a normal real person.  my opinion is that it doesnt matter how much,many paragraphs is needed to get out what you want. a simple uhh nah is a relevant ansver, i would have said the same stuff if i had a radio in my hand myself now if someone most likely would have planned something to happen against me and my pals since we arent actually the best friends, rather than written a full story to explain why i wont atttend the meeting

Edited by TeigenG

ThatRyanGuy    0
7 minutes ago, Cid said:

It's radio chatter.  Not emote chatter.  The main thing that staff cares about in that section is the actual chatter.  I don't care if you post 10 paragraphs worth of effort in emotes into your post, if you still post a single word your post is kinda worthless in a section meant for chatting, is it not?  People always have the option to emote to add to the RP, sure, and most if not all the time it makes things better, but the point is you are meant to chat, not emote.

I suppose the easy way to say it is the emotes are for adding depth to the RP.  What is the point in adding depth to something that doesn't require any depth?

I get it, but the thread isn't about the emotes. The only reason I mentioned the emoting is because I was accused of not putting any "effort" into my post.

How does the response "nah" and the response "nah i'm not going to your meeting you slimy shit" make any difference to my response. The answer is still no, and if the OP decided to reply to me I may have continued the conversation, or I might not have. Why would I have made this choice, because it is roleplay and I am roleplaying a character. Just because my character doesn't come out with edgy one liners doesn't mean I should be punished for it.

Cid    333
1 minute ago, TeigenG said:

isnt it meant that we should be acting like we would have been in the real life? just acting out a character that would have done like a normal person.  my opinion is that it doesnt matter how much,many paragraphs is needed to get out what you want. a snimple uhh nah is a relevant ansver, i would have said the same stuff if i had a radio in my hand myself now if someone most likely would have planned something to happen against me and my pals since we arent actually the best friends, rather than written a full story to explain why i wont atttend the meeting

Staff isn't asking for a monologue.  Staff is looking for more like, "No, I'm not going.  Why the hell would I go?" rather than just, "nah"

Post    0

Personally I don't partake in radio chatter that much because it's often not serious, it's an OOC excuse to really attack others, and start conflicts. Most the time I try to put effort into a response, I just simply get a short response, "yeah we don't care, kid." I don't see it as a very valuable section of our community. Probably needs to be revamped.

Cipher    0
5 minutes ago, Cid said:

What is the point in adding depth to something that doesn't require any depth?

To make it fun for the end user (the reader) to read. 

Would you rather Ryan just say

Ryan picks up the radio

"Nah"

Ryan sets down the radio

Because saying no doesn't require any depth, as you just said.

1 minute ago, Cid said:

Staff isn't asking for a monologue.  Staff is looking for more like, "No, I'm not going.  Why the hell would I go?" rather than just, "nah"

Why does everything has to be such a fucking drama-piece? We are advertising a realistic roleplay environment. I've got better things to worry about rather than arguing pedantics with every person that has to meet with me? Do you know how many times Ryan Robertson, leader of Outrun and co-leader of A World Without Borders, has received these "lets meet" messages? Literally dozens. Ryan Robertson's probably had enough after countless meetings that have gone wrong or turned out to be a set-up or a waste of time. Ryan Robertson's had it. He's done taking meetings. Wait outside the fucking building.

By saying nothing but "Nah", it might look shallow on the surface, but it actually shows deep character development. I challenge you to look through Ryan's post history. Watch how these "let's meet" chatters and Ryan's responses to them, go. They go from interested, optimistic conversations and they devolve into single-word responses, such as the one we are currently arguing about. It shows the corrosion of the mind of Ryan Robertson. It shows how he went from an optimistic leader of a survivor group to a cold hearted killer with nothing to lose - nothing to live for - and nothing to gain from the aforementioned meeting. It's not even worth inquiring about. Yet, OOCly, it's clear that Ryan has still put in effort into his post, through his generous usage of emotes and other contextual writing.

Seems like the staff team wants everything  to be understood at a third grade reading level, allowing nothing to be thought about critically and taken deeper than how many characters one can squeeze out of a radio chatter thread.

TeigenG    0

whats beeing asked for is that you write more than 4 words to describe how the situation is and make a longer story. its not needed to say "No, I'm not going.  Why the hell would I go?" due to the history between Black skull and vista that leads up to this mentioned Radio chatter in ryans appeal. i would rather do as i would myself over a radio, short but clear saying no instead of bringing out an other question ending all the hostile threaths over the radio and proving my point Black skull aint going to be there in the nearest future. what you wrote would just add more fuel on the fire in the "shitshow" the OP will now understand our group is not interested anymore participating in peace talks.

Oliv    1882

You've received several answers to why your post broke radio chatter rules.  Once when you received the points, a second time in your appeal, and now multiple times in this thread.

Now, on the broader spectrum of the radio chatter rules.

The radio chatter rules are designed to stop people from doing things such as jumping into open frequencies and and telling people to "go kill yourself" or "Fuck you", etc, that was plaguing radio chatter before. In that, it also requires that posts that aren't just classified as "radio warrior" posts contain some effort and substance. The radio forums are a fantastic source of RP for those that can't always get in game and need to be held to good standards, just as we would in game RP.