Server time: 2017-10-23, 17:11
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Dusty

Ghosting or nah?

Question

Dusty    1598

Recently, I've been thinking about the ghosting rule and whether or not a game crash would make someone guilty of ghosting. There are two situations I've been thinking of.

Situation 1: 

Group A initiates on members of group B and takes them hostage. When they move them to a building, a member of Group A crashes. While the member from Group A is out of the server, Group C goes to the house and initiates on the house. The guy in Group A that crashed then logs in again right at the house. 

Question 1: Is the member of Group A that logged back in guilty of ghosting? He was technically involved in the current situation between Group A and Group B, and would still be involved if they didn't crash. The member from Group A that crashed is kind of forced to log in because otherwise he is combat logging due to initiating on Group B. 

Question 2: Would the member of Group A have to reinitiate on the attackers, or is he alright to immediately kill them? Again, he would have been in the server and would have been there when Group C initiated on the house if his game hadn't crashed. Would reinitiating be the difference between being guilty or not guilty of ghosting?

Situation 2:

Group A is RPing with Group B in a town when a member of Group A crashes. Before the guy from Group A can log back in, Group B initiates on Group A. The guy from Group A logs back in. 

Question: Is the guy that crashed guilty of ghosting if he logs back in? He would have been there for the initiation if his game didn't crash. I'm definitely sure they would have to reinitiate on Group B before they could gain KOS rights, but because he logged back in at the same area of the initiation, and wasn't technically in the server when the initiation happened, would he be guilty of ghosting?

In my own personal opinion, I don't think either situation would be ghosting as long as the guy that crashed reinitiated on the people attacking.

6 answers to this question

In both situations, I'd probably shoot.

Very situational circumstances tho

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

Question 1: Is the member of Group A that logged back in guilty of ghosting? He was technically involved in the current situation between Group A and Group B, and would still be involved if they didn't crash. The member from Group A that crashed is kind of forced to log in because otherwise he is combat logging due to initiating on Group B. 

I would say he's fine and not guilty of ghosting.

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

Question 2: Would the member of Group A have to reinitiate on the attackers, or is he alright to immediately kill them? Again, he would have been in the server and would have been there when Group C initiated on the house if his game hadn't crashed. Would reinitiating be the difference between being guilty or not guilty of ghosting?

I'd say he has to reinitiate at this point. Group C was not aware of him so it would be the only thing.

Situation 2

2 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Question: Is the guy that crashed guilty of ghosting if he logs back in? He would have been there for the initiation if his game didn't crash. I'm definitely sure they would have to reinitiate on Group B before they could gain KOS rights, but because he logged back in at the same area of the initiation, and wasn't technically in the server when the initiation happened, would he be guilty of ghosting?

I don't think it would be ghosting but I also don't think he would have KOS rights.

Castiel    1124

Very interesting questions.

I wouldn't say either situation was ghosting to be honest. If it could be proven that said player did in-fact crash from the game as opposed to voluntarily combat logging, of course he should and would be allowed to re-join the ongoing situation.

If he didn't log back in during situation 1, he would definitely be combat logging, so he should log back in 100%. Kind of stuck between definitely combat logging and possibly maybe ghosting, but if I were handling a report with either of these situations I would not punish this as ghosting.

AndreyQ    0

S1:

Q1: It would not be ghosting.

Q2: Yeah you would have to re-initiate.

S2:

Q1: Same as situation 1 really. It's not ghosting and he'll have to re-initiate,

Oliv    1888

Seeing as this is almost identical to a current report that you are involved in, I will not be answering this question.

Sofie    0

The member from Group A, like you mentioned, is obligated to log back in in order to not be accused of combat logging. Now, even if this member were technically involved in the situation by being within 500 meters if they haven't crashed, this won't give him the rights to act like he was. The person crashing would have to deal with the consequences of their game crashing.

The relogging would technically be a rule break of ghosting 13.3, but at the same time, it was done to prevent themselves from combat logging 12.2. Because of this, I would consider it fair not to punish the person for ghosting as long as they would take precautions, like reinitiating on the attackers in order to make the situation fair. The ghosting rule states that ghosting can be made fair if it's done at least 1 km away from the hostile situation. But in this case, it would not make sense nor be realistic for them to make the situation fair by starting the hunt further away. So I'd say the reinitiating process is the best way to make the situation fair for both parties.