Jump to content
Server time: 2017-08-16, 17:37

Sign in to follow this  
WaveSayHi

Opinions on Factions?

Recommended Posts

WaveSayHi    0

I've been apart of this community for some time and rarely if ever post anything on the website unless it's a ban appeal or something. However, something that's been bothering me lately is the situation currently that's having to do with factions and group mentalities. The problem i have is that the whole "factions" idea is encouraging people to get random people together to meet that golden number 20 so they can be qualified as a faction, and it's not really catering to the RP aspect at all. In fact, 9 times out of 10 if you meet someone in game they're going to either be in a faction or a group which can be very frustrating at times when you just want to hold someone up or have some good old fashioned RP with them solo and not have to worry about any repercussions from a potential hierarchy or something. Also, making friendships and bonds in game is a very fun way to RP and it's hard to do that if the character is already committed to a group. Now, i understand that groups are a thing and there's always going to be alot of them and it's unavoidable, i'm even in the process of making my own right now! However, i very much disagree with the idea of factions and them controlling land, as it feels almost like there's a sub-community IC, which leaves an unattractive taste in my mouth as it takes out the "survivors just trying to get by" aspect of the game and its more of a "how many people can i get and how much can we control". I might add that sometimes a big bad in game isn't horrible, but when there's quite a few of them i find it disheartening. Sorry if this was long-winded, i feel quite strongly about this. What do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

The issues you have brought have always been here. Factions or groups, if you play solo there is a big chance that you will probably be forgotten about or no one will care about you enough to engage in some long lasting RP story. Your safest bet would be to join a group yourself or find an unique idea that would make people stick around you. As you can probably guess the second opinion is the hardest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   37

Think about early humans and how they organised themselves into different groups which then become villages, cities and then countries. The apocalypse is pretty much a restart of human civilization bringing out the best and worst of humankind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaveSayHi    0
41 minutes ago, furlean said:

Think about early humans and how they organised themselves into different groups which then become villages, cities and then countries. The apocalypse is pretty much a restart of human civilization bringing out the best and worst of humankind.

Yeah and i understand that, but it seems like everyone is apart of something huge and it takes away the survival aspect and it gets to the point of where it's almost a remake of Civilization

49 minutes ago, Andrey said:

The issues you have brought have always been here. Factions or groups, if you play solo there is a big chance that you will probably be forgotten about or no one will care about you enough to engage in some long lasting RP story. Your safest bet would be to join a group yourself or find an unique idea that would make people stick around you. As you can probably guess the second opinion is the hardest.

I completely agree with the solo character always being forgotten, but i don't think it's always been like that. I think the great solo characters or interesting small groups are largely forgotten unless theyre hugely original and stick in your head, past the huge groups of individuals and factions you'll inevitably run into. Having a "cant beat them then join them" mentality isn't very progressive IMO 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dusty    1020

Personally, I hate the whole factions thing solely because of the bullshit settlement rules (need to be faction to attack a settlement that hasn't already attacked you, and settlements can just kill anybody that enters if they're rude). 

As you said, people just spam recruitment to reach 20 people. At least now they have to be a group for 1 month before they can be a faction and own a settlement. 

That being said, it would make sense for there to be settlements and sub-communities ICly. If the world fell today, sure there would be chaos, but a lot of people would try to stick to the old rules and order of old society. I think it's realistic to own a settlement, but I don't like that certain groups are limited in what they can do to the factions, and I think the rules that settlements can create (if you enter the settlement, you'll be killed) discourage RP. Thankfully, no group has completely abused the settlement rules yet, but I'm sure it will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaveSayHi    0
2 hours ago, Dusty said:

Personally, I hate the whole factions thing solely because of the bullshit settlement rules (need to be faction to attack a settlement that hasn't already attacked you, and settlements can just kill anybody that enters if they're rude). 

As you said, people just spam recruitment to reach 20 people. At least now they have to be a group for 1 month before they can be a faction and own a settlement. 

That being said, it would make sense for there to be settlements and sub-communities ICly. If the world fell today, sure there would be chaos, but a lot of people would try to stick to the old rules and order of old society. I think it's realistic to own a settlement, but I don't like that certain groups are limited in what they can do to the factions, and I think the rules that settlements can create (if you enter the settlement, you'll be killed) discourage RP. Thankfully, no group has completely abused the settlement rules yet, but I'm sure it will happen.

Yeah i completely agree, and with the sub-communities, i didn't mean a town occupied by a group of people exactly as i've been in those situations before and it's really interesting. I meant sub-community as in say 5 or so Factions being  the entire server and it losing the survivalist feel because you know you'll be safe with your people, kind of like having a huge deathmatch in game if 2 of them dont get along. I don't know. i just never liked the idea of IC organization on a large scale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boston    643

I couldn't agree more with @Andrey. I've found that my greatest RP stories have developed from groups that do internal RP and developing stories. I only had Dalton for about two months when I joined Coldwater, and he had more of a story than any of my other characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   61

20 people isn't really enough for a settlement roleplay wise.. Maybe a tiny tent camp. But I get it, it's a nice safe zone for some good old story developing around a campfire. Thats obviously what this game is meant for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Misty said:

20 people isn't really enough for a settlement roleplay wise.. Maybe a tiny tent camp. But I get it, it's a nice safe zone for some good old story developing around a campfire. Thats obviously what this game is meant for.

I agree that 20 players isn't enough. But at the moment the servers only support 60 players. Which means 3 factions can fill the server. However, Im looking forward to see servers that support more players so the factions feel more realistic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HappyPenguin    44

Personally I think groups are a great way to meet people and develop your character.  The only problem I have with large groups is a lot of miss communication when something is about to happen OOC and can all go to crap very very fast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

Yes as you say the "the golden number 20" is something that most groups strive for and what to become. Every group that is made is entered into a food chain that is deadly and everyone wants to be on top and be well known and have a lot of numbers but this comes with less people rolling around on there own and building that story between two people. People can still do this and in my POV factions are a reality and would happen in the apocalypse but in this community you can build a faction in days and have some group rp with doing that. Like I said people always want to be at the top so why not have people rolling in massive numbers to show that they shouldn't be messed with. 

When taking someone you all ways have to think about what is going to happen in the future. Everyone these days are in a group or faction like you said but everyone knows someone that knows someone that will help that person get revenge on you. So every time you take someone you have to think about the things that will happen in the long run if you don't then you are a stupid man because one day that person will find you and remember your voice and ten take you this is called back and fourth hostile rp building that story line between two characters. 

Overall you just have to look past this and I am in a group well I have been in multiple groups and still have wide range of friends that I have built friendships with People that are outside the group. It's all about the person you meet in game and what you can get out of them if you are not giving that good rp it's most likely they are not going to give any back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaveSayHi    0
4 hours ago, Bradley said:

Yes as you say the "the golden number 20" is something that most groups strive for and what to become. Every group that is made is entered into a food chain that is deadly and everyone wants to be on top and be well known and have a lot of numbers but this comes with less people rolling around on there own and building that story between two people. People can still do this and in my POV factions are a reality and would happen in the apocalypse but in this community you can build a faction in days and have some group rp with doing that. Like I said people always want to be at the top so why not have people rolling in massive numbers to show that they shouldn't be messed with. 

When taking someone you all ways have to think about what is going to happen in the future. Everyone these days are in a group or faction like you said but everyone knows someone that knows someone that will help that person get revenge on you. So every time you take someone you have to think about the things that will happen in the long run if you don't then you are a stupid man because one day that person will find you and remember your voice and ten take you this is called back and fourth hostile rp building that story line between two characters. 

Overall you just have to look past this and I am in a group well I have been in multiple groups and still have wide range of friends that I have built friendships with People that are outside the group. It's all about the person you meet in game and what you can get out of them if you are not giving that good rp it's most likely they are not going to give any back. 

Yeah youre right, i think i'm more scared of a Faction becoming a powerhouse though and nothing being able to touch them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

I couldn't agree more!

I am strongly against high numbers like that in a group unless it is a group trying to cover different time zones, only having half their number online each time. If you meet big groups like that the amount of roleplay decrease and situations often become messy and confusing. I share the frustration of how difficult it is to just be a friend of group members. Many are only interested in befriending those in their groups, not considering how fun it is to sometimes ditch their group and do something different. When factions hold land, that area only turns into a place where everyone screams over each other before someone gets killed. The quality of the roleplay you normally get in those areas is the worst on the servers. Plus it makes the chances of meeting survivors scattered across the map less, which is how it realistically should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

A concern for me is that 20 on a CP roster on the website =/= 20 active in-game members. I will be addressing this ASAP in staff to have activity checked on factions, and then determine a process in how to deal with <20 active members playing and still a faction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jamie    1173

I understand that people don't like the player limit on factions, but there are reasons for this. 

You need a large amount of players to establish a settlement. You cannot just make a settlement then not have enough people around to maintain it. It's something that should be operating a lot of the time and you can't do it with a small amount of people, hence the limit. Also, settlements encourage roleplay in dense areas, instead of the random walking around and bumping into people. The only advantage of a faction compared to a group is that they have this option to make a proper settlement which is protected by set rules which help aid the maintenance of it. Perhaps 20 is high, but we will be assessing people's activity like Post stated. We did have a nice tool to tell us whether people were active or not, perhaps work on the new tool or probably go through and do it manually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some views here expressing what I have felt for a while - groups and factions aren't my cup of tea and, for me, take away the survival/ isolation/ edginess I felt when I was first played early DayZ standalone. 

To suggest that groups and factions are the best route to RP is generally accurate  for this server. However its one route to an enjoyable game, and to RP.  Its also a very particular type of RP - one that seems to rely quite heavily on TS and  generally being knowledgeable about the Chernarus  environment. Neither of those things allow me to feel in peril  or alone.

I'm guessing there will be others who feel the same but will end up having to gravitate to group membership to stay engaged with DayZRP.  I'm a bit disheartened TBH.

Edited by Uncle Chester

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaveSayHi    0
8 hours ago, Sofie said:

I couldn't agree more!

I am strongly against high numbers like that in a group unless it is a group trying to cover different time zones, only having half their number online each time. If you meet big groups like that the amount of roleplay decrease and situations often become messy and confusing. I share the frustration of how difficult it is to just be a friend of group members. Many are only interested in befriending those in their groups, not considering how fun it is to sometimes ditch their group and do something different. When factions hold land, that area only turns into a place where everyone screams over each other before someone gets killed. The quality of the roleplay you normally get in those areas is the worst on the servers. Plus it makes the chances of meeting survivors scattered across the map less, which is how it realistically should be.

Nice to see someone who agrees! I do appreciate everyone for giving their opinions though, it's opened my eyes a bit to the idea even though i'm still for the most part against it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

I don't think factions should be a thing I mean all it does is make people hide behind rules 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×