Server time: 2017-08-16, 23:54

Sign in to follow this  
swilly

lack of general humor within the community.

swilly    13

In recent months the community, I feel at-least, has grown extremely bias, strict, and overall the rules governing humor (in game, but mostly on the forums)  and "shitposting". For instance, this is a recent example which has been discussed earlier, regarding a perma ban of a friend of mine, siorre. Not only that but there have been multiple bans over humor. While some of it is a bit too excessive, most is completely fine. The thing is that there is a lack of leniency. After all, some of us are paying customers, like siorre, while the rest of us in the community are what make it, you know, a community. There seems to be a bit of a disregard and bans seem to be getting thrown around more and more. I have, as i'm sure the rest of you have noticed, even the general populations in the servers and the overall quality of roleplay is taking a dive. If you keep fucking with a community who are clearly rejecting things that staff are putting in place, then you are doing the wrong thing.  

The place is quickly becoming crazy strict and a completely ludicrous amount of points are being handed out. For example, all these "Unnecessary Posts." The community is clearly dying and tbh this weird iron fist is only making it more stale for me and many others I've talked to. I honesty think staff needs to re-evaluate their procedures in order to keep community members here instead of driving them away since that's the only vibe I've gotten as of late. 

Edited by Bruce

Dusty    1021

I definitely agree that certain staff members are way too sensitive to certain things. Lately, if your jokes or humor aren't 100% clean, you could expect points because it could "offend" somebody. 

That being said, some shit posting can be a problem when people are trying to have an actual discussion. Shit posting belongs in the off topic section or even the media section, if the posts don't take away from the thread itself.

Squillium    321

Basically, whatever the reason, there is no reason for things to be this strict on the forums when the community is at a low point as far as population.

I believe there are some things that staff has been overly strict about, but in most cases, I don't see it being that big of a problem. Also, you can still crack a joke on the forums, for example, I see a lot of people saying that the community is dying which is hilarious seeing as I heard that ever since I joined 2 years ago and we are still here.

So I don't really see this as being a problem, ofc there are cases where points are completely stupid, but in 80% of the cases posts are worth their warning.

Reav    127

I've found that if you just don't post anything at all on th forums you can avoid all points.

The community is dying... 2k12 -pillars

There is no humor because staff try to be consistent, but when they try too hard, they end fucking up more and making the fun that should of existed is washed away. Because of shit decisions.

43 minutes ago, Bruce said:

The place is quickly becoming crazy strict and a completely ludicrous amount of points are being handed out. For example, all these "Unnecessary Posts." The community is clearly dying and tbh this weird iron fist is only making it more stale for me and many others I've talked to. I honesty think staff needs to re-evaluate their procedures in order to keep community members here instead of driving them away since that's the only vibe I've gotten as of late. 

I completely agree,

This is after all a gaming community. It's supposed to be fun, I feel that maybe staff doesn't see it that way. 

Hollows    409

I look at things which are reported by other community members from a neutral perspective, as anyone in Staff regardless of rank is required to do. They usually fall under one of two categories:

• They don't violate the rules, and you're good.
  • It's fucking stupid (And violated the rules, especially 1.5, which I tend to try and be lenient on as long as it isn't something so left-field it's stupid, and this is coming from someone with a very, very grim sense of humor.)

Simple as that. People in the community seem to think most Moderators enjoy handing points out like candy, but people often forget that we all vote on things. Everyone- From Support to Admin, whoever is around to give their opinion on the reported content. That, and I (personally) hate handing out points, because 9 times out of 10, the person receiving said points knew better. You don't drive 15mph/kmh over the speed limit, and tell the officer that cites you," Shit, sorry sir. I didn't know better," as we give you the tools to avoid this (I.E. rule page link = speed limit marker/sign in this example.) Yes, leniency is a good to have, but from what we've seen when we give someone a foot, they want a mile out of it. However, please note that the guy giving you points doesn't necessarily think your post wasn't funny or hates your guts, it was just someone was assigned to do it, and it's us doing our job. Most of the stuff I'm looking at in the report history, was for people flaming one another in threads, or doing other stupid shit. I haven't seen, or personally pointed anyone for "Memes," since I became a Moderator in early December, or at least any I can remember.

Jokes and memes are fine if you post them responsibly. Don't sit there and post some shit about Columbine, 9/11, (Insert Tragedy Here), or something of that degree on your status update, or a thread somewhere public and then complain about getting points in the future because people are 'offended.' If people stop and think: "Hey, I know some people don't really like me for (Insert reason here), would they be able to fuck me if I post this by reporting it?" If you're going to post some 4Chan /b/ things, then do it in private with people who you know won't play a victim or offended card.

But, to state again- Everyone in Staff is required to have a neutral opinion on things when they come in for us to review. If we see someone is off their rockers about something, they're generally not allowed to post their opinion on the subject to prevent biased opinions. Yes, everyone is an individual with conflicting opinions and viewpoints, but it is what it is. The only way is forward, now.

Also, if your points were legitimately issued wrongfully, appeal them. They will be accepted. I hope this helped shed some light on things.

5 minutes ago, Hollows said:

I look at things which are reported by other community members from a neutral perspective, as anyone in Staff regardless of rank is required to do. They usually fall under one of two categories:

• They don't violate the rules, and you're good.
  • It's fucking stupid (And violated the rules, especially 1.5, which I tend to try and be lenient on as long as it isn't something so left-field it's stupid, and this is coming from someone with a very, very grim sense of humor.)

Simple as that. People in the community seem to think most Moderators enjoy handing points out like candy, but people often forget that we all vote on things. Everyone- From Support to Admin, whoever is around to give their opinion on the reported content. That, and I (personally) hate handing out points, because 9 times out of 10, the person receiving said points knew better. You don't drive 15mph/kmh over the speed limit, and tell the officer that cites you," Shit, sorry sir. I didn't know better," as we give you the tools to avoid this (I.E. rule page link = speed limit marker/sign in this example.) Yes, leniency is a good to have, but from what we've seen when we give someone a foot, they want a mile out of it. However, please note that the guy giving you points doesn't necessarily think your post wasn't funny or hates your guts, it was just someone was assigned to do it, and it's us doing our job. Most of the stuff I'm looking at in the report history, was for people flaming one another in threads, or doing other stupid shit. I haven't seen, or personally pointed anyone for "Memes," since I became a Moderator in early December, or at least any I can remember.

Jokes and memes are fine if you post them responsibly. Don't sit there and post some shit about Columbine, 9/11, (Insert Tragedy Here), or something of that degree on your status update, or a thread somewhere public and then complain about getting points in the future because people are 'offended.' If people stop and think: "Hey, I know some people don't really like me for (Insert reason here), would they be able to fuck me if I post this by reporting it?" If you're going to post some 4Chan /b/ things, then do it in private with people who you know won't play a victim or offended card.

But, to state again- Everyone in Staff is required to have a neutral opinion on things when they come in for us to review. If we see someone is off their rockers about something, they're generally not allowed to post their opinion on the subject to prevent biased opinions. Yes, everyone is an individual with conflicting opinions and viewpoints, but it is what it is. The only way is forward, now.

Also, if your points were legitimately issued wrongfully, appeal them. They will be accepted. I hope this helped shed some light on things.

So your saying if you post about traggic events it's one to far but just jokes are fine, well the I guess Issa knife is too far?

Hollows    409
Just now, Snowflyer said:

So your saying if you post about traggic events it's one to far but just jokes are fine, well the I guess Issa knife is too far?

I gave examples of what would be something that you'd blatantly expect to receive points to. I've got no idea about," Issa knife." If it was posted in the appropriate location on the forums, I wouldn't have any issue with it, personally. But it is difficult to give my opinion on that, because I have no idea the context behind it. I wasn't around to see that if it was reported and pointed, so the best I can answer your question is with my personal opinion.

2 minutes ago, Snowflyer said:

Regarding the Siorre thing, I don't agree with the points nor his ban but he was on final and knew very well shitposting had it's risks and he got screwed for it.

Now personally I believe such minor off topic posts should be pointed in serious discussion threads not a off topic for fun media thread, but this is more a business then a community and the image of the business comes first so it's really just a case of being stuck with it till the big man decides to change.

I don't want excessive moderation in any capacity but donations and premium subscriptions don't (and shouldn't) afford you any extra leniency with staff. It's a token of appreciation for the servers and staff - not a VIP pass.

I think shit posting and jokes will always be here in the community - I wish the meme thread was back because all the filth was kept to one thread. The problem is members try too hard to be funny and edgy.

All I can say is .... people are to easily offended in this community 

Excuse me sir I take offense to this thread, MODS!! On it!

People need to chill abit... 

People are serious when it comes to rp and how the community is ran. This is up to how you approach things and who you meet OOC and IC I have a lot of fun when I am IC and even more fun OOC this is because who I am with. But yes I see we're you are coming from the Dayzrp community has been going through some bumps in the road and from what people have been saying there have been worse times and the community has got past many Great Depression in the past. Overall try and make it fun for yourself, have fun out there. 

Blame it on the Psi wave, where a large influx of players and the current position of leniency by staff at that time, and it was a quick recipe for a cesspool. Wait for things to level out. When staff feels like they can lighten up, they will.

I know it's a complete 180 from my previous mentality, but Staff and Rolle do things for a reason.

If the community had an aussie sense of humor, I think we'd all have a lot more fun and laughs.

I'm tellin ya, SJW's are taking over. 

4 minutes ago, Cipher said:

Blame it on the Psi wave, where a large influx of players and the current position of leniency by staff at that time, and it was a quick recipe for a cesspool. Wait for things to level out. When staff feels like they can lighten up, they will.

I know it's a complete 180 from my previous mentality, but Staff and Rolle do things for a reason.

I tend to be on the opposing side when it comes down to threads that pop up criticizing the staff (such as the one about offensive words, siorre's, as well as others) and while I still stick to my starting opinion most of the time, I can also see why they do what they do.

The one about the offensive words for example. I think I personally think it shouldn't matter, but Rolle stated himself that it's not about whether or not he cares, but rather he just wants the community to look welcoming.

On the large influx of players causing staff to tighten up I'd agree with also. As you said once things level out things will get better. One thing I have seen many people say is that the community is just in a low right now and that things will get better. This statement goes along with the whole leveling out thing so I'd say that's probably what's going on.

It's good to bring up the faults of the staff and criticize them accordingly, but we don't need to act like everything is falling apart. 

Henning    61

I think this iron fist mentality will be what kills this community.

If someone is clearly trolling, fine give them points. But if someone is making a reply that is thought out (regardless of how aggressive it is) You shouldn't be giving them points because they clearly care about this community enough to take the time to voice their opinion on the subject. 

Its pretty well known that I'm a short tempered person, I like to keep my comments sugar free and tell everyone exactly what they need to hear. What staff need to hear is this: This isn't your community, this isn't my community, this is everyone's community. Just because you've been given special powers does not mean you can push your own agenda of what is right or wrong. I'm a performing arts major and I can't stand when people use faggot as insult, but do I go around attacking everyone who uses it so? no, I leave the room or privately inform the person that I don't like that phrasing and why I don't like it. Because not everyone was raised in an environment where being gay is an alright, hell some people may have been raised in an environment where being gay is sub human. But you can't force your own opinion on others (Especially in a global community) like a mouth gag and expect them to accept it. 

If you feel something (A type of behavior or phrase) offends you to the point that you are going to start dishing out point left and right. You need to inform the community that your going to begin doing so, because "Offensive behavior" is in the eyes of the beholder and what you might see as offensive humor may be seen as acceptable by the majority of the community. And if you can't do that? Then leave, your not fit to be staff in a community that has hundreds of members from around the world. You are unable to look at the situation from outside your own environment clouding your judgement to the point where you are hurting this community more then you are helping it.

Jamie    1173

Honestly, the minority ruin it for the majority. 

These rules have been set up for a reason. The Admin team nor Rolle want to make this place into a desolate graveyard where no fun is allowed. We need to moderate the forums and keep it a civil place. There are individuals that like to push the boundaries and cause trouble. When we deal with them accordingly, we have to treat everyone the same. If someone posts a funny joke/meme/gif on a discussion thread with no context to the situation, it's more than likely gonna receive points. It's a serious discussion forum. 

If you joke around in offtopic, there is a certain degree of leniency, since this is actually the only forum took with a pinch of salt (Not that salt). You also have the status updates which also seem to have a lot of leniency also, so I actually don't see the problem. If we were going to be real assholes, we would moderate the entire forums like we do with ban appeals and reports, then this place would be a real graveyard. 

Like I read in Cipher's introduction thread, there will always be certain people that will always push the boundaries, no matter. If everyone acted maturely and accordingly to everything, even with a joke here and there, we would not even need to moderate the forums. I'm sure a lot of you are, but not everyone is, unfortunately. 

Just my 2 cents on the matter. 

Volke    132

Well it's because this isn't a community. It's a business; and a business if aiming to succeed needs to be professional.  Some of staff's decisions are crazy in my eyes but cleaning up the forum from shitposting is more than fine.  If that is the path Rolle wants to take his business; so be it.  And if people don't want to abide by it than they don't have to; but goodluck finding somewhere else.