Server time: 2017-10-23, 21:05
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
WhiskeyFoxtrot

Why Martin Shkreli was potrayed wrongly by the media

I'm sure we've all heard about Martin Shkreli if not here's a brief introduction he's an American entrepreneur and pharmaceutical executive. He is a co-founder for multiple companies and founded his own company Turing Pharmaceuticals, who acquired the manufacturing licence for Daraprim which is an antiparasitic drug used to prevent a toxoplasmosis infection in people with HIV. He raised the price from $13.50 to $750 this spike in price was covered in the media as if he was going out of his way to kill people and to make the drug unavailable, however, they failed to mention that two-thirds of the sales of Daraprim were to federal and state health programs at a price of 1 cent per pill.

It's true Shkreli has made an absolute killing off of it however he has stated that the company spends 60% percent of their profits on research and development for the drug this is 4 times more than the average drug company. This is so that they can create or find another drug that can replace Daraprim as it makes the people taking it very sick and he wishes for a drug you can take that doesn't hurt the user. Another great thing about Shkreli is that he's a provocateur and doesn't care what the media or other people think, he's a strong individual and in this time of political correctness I think we need more people like him, you could call him an asshole but he's made a name for himself and fortune on top of it.

I'd like to hear people's arguments if you feel differently and if I've gotten anything wrong please don't hesitate to correct me.

Edited by WhiskeyFoxtrot
Text wall

Shark    0

He's still a cunt.

Fired from two of his own companies, arrested on securities fraud, and the HIV med isn't the only medicine his company raised the price on. He's a disgusting piece of shit.

Edited by Tosh

Sxcomba    28

> Exploits people that have HIV

> Gets media hate for raising a $13 drug to $750!

Imagine if that happened with cough drops or flu vaccines. All fair game to me, seems like they portrayed him fairly well.

Shade    0

I hear he has caused quite the stir in that industry, and have heard nothing but negative about him. I've not done any personal research myself but are these facts from trusted sources?

Just now, Shade said:

I hear he has caused quite the stir in that industry, and have heard nothing but negative about him. I've not done any personal research myself but are these facts from trusted sources?

I have cross-referenced facts from different sources and the only one which I'm a little unsure of is the government sale price, I say 1 cent but there have been multiple sources stating $1 but around equal sources saying 1 cent. Either way, it's still cheap for the government to buy as far as I'm concerned. As I've stated if there's anything I've got wrong I'm happy to take criticism.

lemonade319    31
On 10/02/2017 at 4:33 PM, Tosh said:

He's still a cunt.

Fired from two of his own companies, arrested on securities fraud, and the HIV med isn't the only medicine his company raised the price on. He's a disgusting piece of shit.

This argument seems rather "Feels" based than factually or logically. Firing people doen't make you a cunt btw, companies fire people all of the time for a different number of reasons.