Server time: 2017-10-17, 04:10
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
1st Lt Phil

Becoming a Hero

1st Lt Phil    1

So this is my first story, just tell me what you think. Oh and i am not an english speaking person, so the grammar won't be perfect ;)

So, yeah, where could I start? My life was fine, it seemed even perfect. I had a good relationship to my parents, visited them often, met a cute girl and served with my companions and friends in the army. We went often to bars at the weekend and had fun … I thought I would know where my life goes, I was never so horribly wrong.

My friends and me got skeptical first, when we were commanded to an new military checkpoint west of Severograd. We should report any abnormal sightings and behavior of persons we saw. There were rumors of dead men walking, but you know, it just were rumors. But then, 4 days after the first official news report of them, one “Zed” (how we call them) slurped across the street, about 70m away of our checkpoint. A companion called for it, believing it was a citizen. He became the answer really quick: A bloodcurdling, wild scream and the thing ran towards us. We shouted several times at it to stop and shot some bullets in the air. 15m before it reached us, we opened the fire. Our bullets frazzled its spinal cord, but it wasn't dead, it crawled now towards us, pulling his oppressed body over the ground. Only a bullet through the shitheads brain could stop it. Well, that was my first encounter with the new plague of mankind.

The panic increased day by day. We should guard the west entrance of Severograd and check the evacuation transports one last time, which came from the city heading to the North West Airfield – one of the 3 evacuation zones. But already on the 3rd transport the radio contact got lost at the half of its way to NWAF. The panic grew now exponentially as almost every transport didn't reach its goal and settlement over settlement was overrun. 3 weeks after my first Zed the pressure on Severograd reached its limit. The military checkpoints north and south of the city were the first, which declined. Until then we almost shot dozen of zeds every day – and not always ones, who wanted to enter the city. Some managed it to sneak through and got into the town, so that we had to shoot them in the middle of Severograd more often. And sometimes we had even to shoot people who got bitten but didn't turn yet … that were the most awkward moments. I can still see their faces ...

Then the city got overrun, it was horrible. We were the last operating checkpoint near Severograd and the people swarmed to us while hundreds of Zeds came from the city and the north. We were just like 30 soldiers but we tried to circuit the remaining people and protect them … it was useless. Not only the ammunition got less, soon the first of my companions died and zeds broke through our formation. The number of people got less but the number of our enemy increased dramatically. But we fought, we fought till our very end, because that's what we were: Soldiers.

But after 2 hours of heavy fights remained just me and 2 of my companions, we tried to rescue a group of people and to flee with them south through the woods. We couldn't know that a horde was attracted by the fights … we ran straight into them. One of us was killed instantly and the people got panic. My last companion (and best friend) and me just wanted to help a family as a crawler grabbed him by the leg. He fell on the ground and before I could even aim at the head of the zed he got bitten in the leg. Only a few moments later 2,3,4 of them came to him and thrust their teeth into him. He looked at me, saying his last words: ,,Please”. I lifted my weapon, aimed for this head and pulled with tears on my face the trigger.

I managed to escape through the forest and hide for several hours. I wanted only homewards to Kamyshovo at the coast, where my parents home was, although I knew that it most likely wasn't there anymore. For about one and a half week on my way south I could often see flames and hear the screams blew by the wind towards me from some settlement. I wanted to help, I wanted to help every single person, but I didn't. Till today I could castigate myself for that ... But soon it got more silent … I think the whole world got more silent in these days. I lost my radio during the massacre in Severograd, so I couldn't try to contact anyone – now I know, that it anyway would have been useless. I arrived 2 and a half weeks after Severograd in Kamyshovo and how I thought, it was overrun. Zeds staggered through the streets, although there weren't so many. Nevertheless I was very shocked, even paralyzed, after all this was still my home … where I grew up. My parents house was there yet, but nobody was at home. I got angry, somehow I got incredibly angry and killed, yes even raged through a few zeds near to me as I saw a shape standing in the doorway of a house 40m away from me. It wasn't a zed, it was a human, a living human and that wasn't all. The person walked towards me and I realized it was my dad! We ran embracing each other. We couldn't believe it. He told me that my mother and my girlfriend were on the first evacuation transports and made it to Balota Airfield, where the military flew them to an international safety zone near Great Britain. I was incredibly glad about such good news after weeks of shit.

Yeah … so there are we now. In middle of the biggest muck of human history. We are traveling through Chernarus and try to find any last military station that is still operating. First that was our only goal. But during our travel through the land I realized something. There are still people out there, people who survived this horror so far. And in a time, where we lost everything, we must keep our humanity. That's the only way we can survive this: together. So we are trying to help any person we can, we are trying to save survivors and other civilians … every person alive is a zed less we must fight. But bandits: beware, we are able to fight and will defend ourselves and those who can't defend themselves!

To all other survivors, we are offering help, we give you food, we provide safety. We will wear white wristbands.

Triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

5MILE5    37

Looks pretty good, a few mistakes, but hey I can't complain I'm not English speaking either. It was enjoyable to read, but yeah good luck out there being a person that wants to help and all xD 

The Marshal    353

so, what are you up to now that it's 28 months into the end of the world? Does your character still believe there's an operational military station that will be the last bastion of mankind?

1st Lt Phil    1

Hi, so yeah, at least i found some hints that parts of the army are still operating, but i just heard some scraps of a radio transmission so far, i won't abandon hope ;)

Sign in to follow this