Server time: 2017-08-20, 10:00

Sign in to follow this  
Skinner

PSA: Lag related to shooting

Skinner    435

I've noticed a lot of people commenting on lag related to fire fights and even seen it in a report video. It seems like not everyone is entirely aware so I thought it would be helpful to put out a little PSA to let everyone know that due to a bug in this patch fire fights generate tremendous lag and frame drops to everyone in the area. Single rounds don't seem to have much impact, but shotguns and full auto weapons are consistently generating this phenomenon.

Here is one example from the perspective of the shooter and if you watch for a minute it is immediately followed by the POV of his overwatch.

Here is another example a bit later.

Here is an example in a report (very dark video, need to improve brightness to max to see anything)

Here is an example of the frame drop in action when tested:

So keep this in mind when planning anything in game that involves shooting, prepare for the lag it will cause and plan accordingly! It tends to clear up almost immediately after the gun fire settles down.

Edited by TheMatt924

Yeah, saw this on Reddit. Guesses are it's caused by the dynamic lighting. Sucks, especially since you pointed out our report video.

https://www.reddit.com/5sm0op/

Edited by Tosh

Eagle    344

Yeah, this is a game breaking bug as I've had this happen to me as well when I used my AKM in a firefight and it freezes you in place so you hope he has it as well or your dead.

The reason for this is the new dynamic lighting system. Every muzzle flash causes a dynamic light source, hence multiple dynamic shadows. If more than one person shoots then it causes such stress for the local area that everyone's FPS goes to shit.

Nice looking addition to the game but I'd rather have less issues than a pretty looking game. Feels like the further we go in the development the less they test things before pushing them to the stable, just because they're under so much pressure from the community. And don't really care if it's fully functional or not.

Edited by Skeetsi

If I remember correctly, they just fixed this on a small patch that was released some time ago. Don't know how much time. Or maybe it was only on Experimental? Can't really remembers right now. But I'm 100% sure that a patch was released with this fix.

Just now, Rogério SkyLab said:

If I remember correctly, they just fixed this on a small patch that was released some time ago. Don't know how much time. Or maybe it was only on Experimental? Can't really remembers right now. But I'm 100% sure that a patch was released with this fix.

Must be experimental unless there's been a patch since it happened to us on Sunday night.

Elmo    911

Thank you for this, I don't regularly firefight but I'll be more aware of it now that you've put this out there :) 

1604a0ca3d1acd40390435a97d2b8c9f.png

hopefully it is fixed and this new hotfix doesn't break more than it fixes :P

Edited by Bran

Skinner    435
7 hours ago, Bran said:

1604a0ca3d1acd40390435a97d2b8c9f.png

hopefully it is fixed and this new hotfix doesn't break more than it fixes :P

That's great news! Looking forward to checking it out in game. If anyone has had a chance to test it out please post the results here.