Server time: 2017-10-21, 15:56
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
CrescentGent

Mentor Tag (Forums / TS)

So @Jon Snow raised a good point, considering there is a Mentor program, would a Mentor tag prove useful for the newer members so they can easily identify who is a Mentor without having to navigate to the thread. If a similar thread has been made, then feel free to close this or merge them :D

Cheers!

Jon Snow    0

Cheers for the mention boi ;) Also.....I agree with this. (obviously)

Edited by Jon Snow

Stagsview    625

Hi there,

Can give you a bit of info here. The admins and LM's give mentor tags to those that have been serving in the mentor team for a while and have proven themselves for their contribution to the team. Rolle has already made the tag but nobody has yet from the current team earned it. 

Iso    1229
2 hours ago, Staggs said:

-snip-

Why would you wait to give someone a tag for such a reason? If they're not pulling their weight, drop them from the team instead of making it difficult to distinguish them from the rest of us savages. You earn your stripes, not your badge, right?

Vapor    0
3 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Why would you wait to give someone a tag for such a reason? If they're not pulling their weight, drop them from the team instead of making it difficult to distinguish them from the rest of us savages. You earn your stripes, not your badge, right?

So they earn it. This is an incentive to encourage the mentors to work hard and to do their best mentoring new comers. If the mentors receive positive feedback from the public, then this shows they did a good job helping the newcomer. I think this is good. If the mentors are inactive, they will be removed, e-z p-z

Iso    1229
Just now, Vapor said:

So they earn it. This is an incentive to encourage the mentors to work hard and to do their best mentoring new comers. If the mentors receive positive feedback from the public, then this shows they did a good job helping the newcomer. I think this is good. If the mentors are inactive, they will be removed, e-z p-z

I'd have thought volunteers would have wanted to work hard because they volunteered to do the work, no? Perhaps you should elaborate on your point a little, no offence but I'm not really seeing the sense.

Vapor    0
1 minute ago, Elmo said:

I'd have thought volunteers would have wanted to work hard because they volunteered to do the work, no? Perhaps you should elaborate on your point a little, no offence but I'm not really seeing the sense.

Well, all staff volunteered to work hard and not all of them get MVP or VIP. That's the difference from working hard and volunteering to work hard.

And Rolle already said,

9cba05bd08.jpg

Iso    1229
1 minute ago, Vapor said:

-snip-

I was under the impression that the MVP and VIP tags were reserved for retired staff, valuable contributors etc, no? Are the Mentor Tags also reserved only for retired mentors? If not, your point makes no sense to me, we don't tell staff to work hard and they'll receive their support/moderator/GM/Administrator tag, they receive it to distinguish them as people who can help and dedicate themselves to working for the community. Shouldn't Mentors receive Mentor Tags to distinguish them from non-mentors and as people who are both quality role-players and approved mentors? 

Just doesn't make sense to me, I would assume a tag can be revoked as quickly as it is given, so I don't see the problem with giving them out to the select few mentors that we currently have. Perhaps a Junior Mentor and Senior Mentor tag system would be in order?

Vapor    0
2 minutes ago, Elmo said:

I was under the impression that the MVP and VIP tags were reserved for retired staff, valuable contributors etc, no? Are the Mentor Tags also reserved only for retired mentors? If not, your point makes no sense to me, we don't tell staff to work hard and they'll receive their support/moderator/GM/Administrator tag, they receive it to distinguish them as people who can help and dedicate themselves to working for the community. Shouldn't Mentors receive Mentor Tags to distinguish them from non-mentors and as people who are both quality role-players and approved mentors? 

Just doesn't make sense to me, I would assume a tag can be revoked as quickly as it is given, so I don't see the problem with giving them out to the select few mentors that we currently have. Perhaps a Junior Mentor and Senior Mentor tag system would be in order?

I don't know how you are interpreting it... I was using the MVP and VIP as an example as an incentive for hard work. Not for retired mentors or retired staff. The idea behind the tags is that you earn them, just like a promotion when in staff. You earn it with activity, positive feedback, etc.

Also, there is a thread with a list of all the mentors and which roleplay they will be helping with. I believe earning tags is better than just receiving them just because you volunteered and have your name on a list.

Um.. Yeah. Staff are encouraged to work hard and they will likely be promoted. 

I think it is fine as is.

Skinner    506

I think @Elmo has a good point. I mean, I totally understand that that the mentor tag is being reserved until it is "earned" but isn't it kind of a catch 22 if the lack of a mentor tag is preventing mentors from being contacted on TS and thus making it harder for them to earn it? I'd say give them the tag so they can mentor more easily and then if they don't earn it take it away.

Iso    1229
1 minute ago, Vapor said:

-snip-

My over-arching point was that the new players would be able to distinguish them on the forums without having to navigate to the thread. 

Vapor    0
Just now, Elmo said:

My over-arching point was that the new players would be able to distinguish them on the forums without having to navigate to the thread. 

They still have to navigate the thread to get the template. So...

/thread

Iso    1229
Just now, Vapor said:

They still have to navigate the thread to get the template. So...

/thread

My my you are a firecracker aren't you ^_^ 

I don't know about you, but I can't think of a single mentor off of the top of my head, making them distinguishable is, in my eyes and you're perfectly entitled to disagree without seeming condescending, of the utmost importance.

Stagsview    625

Right, Rolle and I had a chat a few hours ago and he is going to give the current mentors their mentor tags on the forums so people can see them on the forums and also to try and advertise the concept a lot more.

Once you stop being a mentor the rank will be removed of course and a possible "thank you" title or award will be handed out to mentor's that help out a lot with the project :)

Iso    1229
27 minutes ago, Staggs said:

-snip-

Good work on that front, quick results and quick answers, thank you Staggs.

Castiel    1124

Good stuff, makes a lot more sense for the current mentors to have the title so newcomers can distinguish them from the rest of us easily. TeamSpeak badge too? Blue M, or something.

Stagsview    625
48 minutes ago, Castiel said:

Good stuff, makes a lot more sense for the current mentors to have the title so newcomers can distinguish them from the rest of us easily. TeamSpeak badge too? Blue M, or something.

That hasn't been talked about yet but I don't see why not. I will @Rolle for his thoughts ;)

Shark    0
9 minutes ago, Staggs said:

That hasn't been talked about yet but I don't see why not. I will @Rolle for his thoughts ;)

Well, TS tags are automatically assigned based on user group (aka Premium/staff rank), and the mentor thing has nothing to do with user group. Unless Rolle feels like creating a separate server group for mentors, which wouldn't make any sense imo, the TS tags would then need to be set up and manually given out. Might also cause a conflict between the bot that assigns TS server groups of someone were to have multiple.

Just guessing on how it might go.

Edited by Tosh

Stagsview    625
Just now, Tosh said:

Well, TS tags are automatically assigned based on user group (aka Premium/staff rank), and the mentor thing has nothing to do with user group. Unless Rolle feels like creating a separate server group for mentors, which wouldn't make any sense imo, the TS tags would then need to be set up and manually given out. Might also cause a conflict between the bot that assigns TS server groups of someone were to have multiple.

I am no expert in coding Tosh and you know that :D. I pinned Rolle here to explain if it can be done or not. It would be something nice to have for those on TS but as you stated it might be a hassle...who knows...maybe Rolle will be willing do it this for the TS tags. Thanks for the info either way..completely forgot about that.

Shark    0
3 minutes ago, Staggs said:

I am no expert in coding Tosh and you know that :D. I pinned Rolle here to explain if it can be done or not. It would be something nice to have for those on TS but as you stated it might be a hassle...who knows...maybe Rolle will be willing do it this for the TS tags. Thanks for the info either way..completely forgot about that.

Understood, just felt like chiming in.

Is there a channel or two for them to use while helping someone? I remember Volke had channels when he ran a similar thing himself back in 2015. Perhaps that could be something and it's much more easily managed than having to use temp channels or pub rooms when trying to help someone. If this already exists then feel free to flame me.

Sofie    0
10 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Understood, just felt like chiming in.

Is there a channel or two for them to use while helping someone? I remember Volke had channels when he ran a similar thing himself back in 2015. Perhaps that could be something and it's much more easily managed than having to use temp channels or pub rooms when trying to help someone. If this already exists then feel free to flame me.

We currently have one public channel together with the community channels that we have no control over. I would support us having it in a different section to make it stand out more. Maybe even give us some rights if that's possible. Personally I could make rooms and get my mentee in there. But not everyone have that ability.

Bradley    0

Still the question stands the TS badge for the mentors? Has been this be talked about with the staff because right now I see the mentor team as staff members helping the community like staff would right? Please may this be cleared up and I am going to @Rolle here so he can give his POV on this TS badge and the blue colours that will make the titles under the names.