Server time: 2017-10-23, 18:45
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
King Box

In one ear and out the other?

King Box    0

I've been keeping an eye on this when I saw that the @Andrey was warned for using "inappropriate language". The word that he used was the N word, and he wasn't using it at any certain person, he simply used it as he was asking a question where a certain ban appeal had to do with what he was talking about, and said ban appeal was about the word, and so he used it when talking about it.

Now what I find interesting is the the current consensus is that it wasn't a well thought out reply to the ban appeal, and that this is the internet, so if you get offended, then deal with that yourself and don't throw it in peoples faces simply because it offends you.

So here are a bunch of people in agreement that the use of the N word wasn't bad in this case that and there are flaws in what the admin said. (For example Vapor got points for posting lyrics that contained the n word, and yet many people have the N word in their songs) And the OP gets warned for the word.

Now I'm not saying that all because the majority of people who have commented on the question agree that it wasn't used in a wrong way doesn't automatically mean it isn't wrong, but should you really just warn the OP of a thread which brings up sound points without solidifying your reasoning first, and then giving him warning points? 

Edited by King Box

Jetwells    0

Since ZBOR was classed as being nazi, The whole community has gone SJW heaven. What can i say, You needed the edge their coz now everyones allowed to be offended.

Rolle    2980

The Andrew thing was fixed, indeed that warning was completely unnecessary.

What we're trying to do here is have a good image of DayZRP. So that when a newcomer comes here he doesn't see 10 latest status updates where it's just "whaddup nigga", "you're a fag", "eat shit motherfucker" cause that person will instantly leave. Hence the warning points given for use of words like that and offensive content that is NSFW.

Now people have stopped using the "nigga" thing and other stuff publicly, but they're still trying to be edgy like @Vapor ( :D ), so they try to go around it by posting lyrics that are hostile. So let's say I hate you King and I go to your profile and I post this after a firefight or something.

I throw a bomb through you window, Burn you up and your hoe
I catch your mama going to therapy, And cut her throat
You lil' sister walking home from school, I abduct her, then I fuck her
I hit ya park close up with the Louisville Slugger, BGeezy is the hustla, ignorant motherfucker
I was taught how to bust heads by the best head busters, Cluckers, you know I got'em 2 for 1 my nigga
I'm on V.L. if you want me, get some my nigga, come on

- Notorious B.I.G - "Hope You Niggas Sleep"

Let's just say that's a quick example I found, I bet there are better "samples". Anyways, I can post that because hey, it's lyrics and music, right? It could be abused to no end. Therefore using lyrics is not an exception to our rules.

Hope you see where I'm coming from.

Vapor    0

But... but... I wasn't even trying to be edgy. I legit just posted lyrics. There was no intent behind my post, just song lyrics that I shared on my profile. And the song isn't even hostile... @Rolle

74d865727d.png

Anyways, Vapor out.

Edited by Vapor

King Box    0
5 hours ago, Rolle said:

The Andrew thing was fixed, indeed that warning was completely unnecessary.

What we're trying to do here is have a good image of DayZRP. So that when a newcomer comes here he doesn't see 10 latest status updates where it's just "whaddup nigga", "you're a fag", "eat shit motherfucker" cause that person will instantly leave. Hence the warning points given for use of words like that and offensive content that is NSFW.

Now people have stopped using the "nigga" thing and other stuff publicly, but they're still trying to be edgy like @Vapor ( :D ), so they try to go around it by posting lyrics that are hostile. So let's say I hate you King and I go to your profile and I post this after a firefight or something.

Let's just say that's a quick example I found, I bet there are better "samples". Anyways, I can post that because hey, it's lyrics and music, right? It could be abused to no end. Therefore using lyrics is not an exception to our rules.

Hope you see where I'm coming from.

I totally understand what you mean. But AFAIK vapor wasn't posting it to anyone directly correct? If he had then I'd agree with you. 

I understand that it could be abused, but if I posted lyrics on my status update that we're not directed at anyone versus me directly posting on their page, then I think It'd be easy to tell which scenario I should get points for. In scenario 2, I can't simply say "Hey I can post lyrics right?" because I'm directly posting hostile (and with possible intent to offend) lyrics on someone else's profile. No matter how you look at it it seems obvious that I was trying to offend the person right? So if you come up to me and asked why I did it me simply saying "I thought I could post lyrics" won't do, as anyone with common sense could see that posting lyrics to someone's profile could be seen that way.

I posted something similar to what I said on the other disc about siorre, and I'm going to say something similar in regards to scenario 2 also. 

If I post lyrics on another person's profile, but in this scenario I'm showing the lyrics to a friend, then the friend should know I mean nothing bad by it, and so whether or not that person wants to do anything about it should be up to them. If it is a friend then they should know I mean nothing bad by it and so nothing happens. If I posted it on some random's profile, regardless of whether or not I meant anything by it, there's no reason to show it to him, and so if he reports me accordingly then that's fine, as It could be seen as a direct insult.

Now, I'm glad to hear the Andrew thing was fixed, and at the end of the day if you just want to ban the use of the word even in posting lyrics that's fine by me, as I probably won't have reason to.

More or less what I was trying to ask on my OP was whether or not the staff actually listens to what a lot of us have to say. Now I'm no staff so this POV is from someone who uninformed on how you guys work, so I very well could be wrong, but from the many people getting perma banned for (possibly) petty things as well as misunderstandings in what we can and cannot post, It seems like a lot of times the staff sticks to their opinion and we stick to ours, as if we were two people with differing religions fighting over which one is actually true, only to give up and stick to our own truths at the end of the day.

As said I don't know how you guys work, so I very well could be wrong on this perception.

Brad    158

Why is this even a thread?  Could have posted in the quoted thread to make the same point?

Mods?

King Box    0
3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Why is this even a thread?  Could have posted in the quoted thread to make the same point?

Mods?

Makes sense, but this has to do with how mods respond to our complaints rather than that simple question, so I felt posting it in that thread could be seen as off topic from the question, thus I didn't.

At this point though this thread is more or less centered around that question, so I agree with you to some extent.

Eagle    409
1 hour ago, King Box said:

Makes sense, but this has to do with how mods respond to our complaints rather than that simple question, so I felt posting it in that thread could be seen as off topic from the question, thus I didn't.

At this point though this thread is more or less centered around that question, so I agree with you to some extent.

At the current moment, this thread is fine as a question asks for a direct answer while a discussion can go above and beyond.

As for the complaint the use of the N-word is something that can be viewed  both ways and was mostly forced due to the constant   status updates and other threads where people kept on going my N***er  in almost every single one just so they could show how cool they are for the friends by using such slang , thus drastic measures were taken to censor the word out and it worked too and extent as you don't see people dropping the word around just for the lol's.

Your complaints are not ignored as we are starting to see that just using the word is not that bad but that does not mean that we want to see it floating around to a massive extent on the forums.

bigwiz14    23

Will you be delivering amnesty for people who've been banned for using the word as well as point removal when the rule "0 tolerance" becomes "mildly tolerant"? 

I honestly don't see why people need to use the n-word. It's cute that you're starting an internet rebellution but at the same time you're pitching a fit over the "right" to use a slur. And when Rolle, who started this in 2012, says "yeah nope" everyone makes a martyr of some dude who got warning points. 

The English language is really, really big. I think you can find more intelligent ways of expressing companionship.

Eagle    409
2 minutes ago, bigwiz14 said:

Will you be delivering amnesty for people who've been banned for using the word as well as point removal when the rule "0 tolerance" becomes "mildly tolerant"? 

I honestly don't see why people need to use the n-word. It's cute that you're starting an internet rebellution but at the same time you're pitching a fit over the "right" to use a slur. And when Rolle, who started this in 2012, says "yeah nope" everyone makes a martyr of some dude who got warning points. 

The English language is really, really big. I think you can find more intelligent ways of expressing companionship.

No, the rule is still in effect and will be but certain things will be looked at differently Case by Case.

bigwiz14    23

And what case have you found where it's absolutely necessary to use it? In a ban appeal where it asks if you won't do it again where you state "I will not say XYZ again" and become a victim because nobody expects to get points for that a second time!

Come on guys, what a nonsense. We all know that if you are not black you should not use the word "nigga". So lets all just stop using words that describe ethnic groups in a bad way. Some black people just go full racist against you if you are white and you say the word "nigga". Yes it is unfair that the underlying thought is that they blame you for what other white people did in the past, but they're just making you feel what racism is. Remember that being offended is a choice you make yourself. You choose to be offended or not. One of them is easy and doesnt cost you any energy.  

Kat    101
3 minutes ago, Misty said:

Come on guys, what a nonsense. We all know that if you are not black you should not use the word "nigga". .  

Why would/should it be appropriate for anyone to use?  It's a derogatory term no matter who utters it.

8 minutes ago, Kat said:

Why would/should it be appropriate for anyone to use?  It's a derogatory term no matter who utters it.

In my country it is used as another way to say "friend" or "bro". I hope this will happen in yours one day too.

Kat    101
1 minute ago, Misty said:

In my country it is used as another way to say "friend" or "bro". I hope this will happen in yours one day too.

It has, but only within the culture that it demeans.  How does that make it any more "right"?

bigwiz14    23
42 minutes ago, Misty said:

Come on guys, what a nonsense. We all know that if you are not black you should not use the word "nigga". So lets all just stop using words that describe ethnic groups in a bad way. Some black people just go full racist against you if you are white and you say the word "nigga". Yes it is unfair that the underlying thought is that they blame you for what other white people did in the past, but they're just making you feel what racism is. Remember that being offended is a choice you make yourself. You choose to be offended or not. One of them is easy and doesnt cost you any energy.  

You and so many others are so convinced you're offending people. I'm not offended. You aren't attacking me in any way by using a word you don't seem to completely understand. Just because I don't drop in a hard r doesn't make it suddenly 'cool' and 'hip'. Turning a slur meant to break someone down and using it as "another way to say friend or bro" is classic Tyrion Lannister logic.

I live in Maine which recently fell from 1st place in the Whitest States in the US to 2nd place in recent years. Racism up here is very much alive because we're not exposed to different ethnic groups. We don't work side by side with minorities every day and realize they're just people. People where I live don't use the n-word playfully or to gaff with the lads. Everyone knows what the word actually means and whether you sugarcoat it or not, @Misty you're propagating the issue. If you really wanted to use it as friend or bro you'd use those words. The sooner we stop using the word the sooner people will realize skin color doesn't matter. But please, continue to spread ignorance in an attempt to fight off invisible "Social justice warriors" for the sake of "true social justice". By fighting against it you're becoming the hypocrite you so despise.

EDIT: As a side note it's also against community rules. So cope with it since the person who started all of this has declared the use of the term to be point-worthy.

lannister.jpg

Edited by bigwiz14

Charlo    0

I'm a proud black man and I don't find the word offensive at all. There are limits.

saying things like - "You a real N**" are fine 

when you start going down the path of "You a dirty N***" then that's where it should be snipped at the bud.

Diamond    0
8 minutes ago, bigwiz14 said:

You and so many others are so convinced you're offending people. I'm not offended. You aren't attacking me in any way by using a word you don't seem to completely understand. Just because I don't drop in a hard r doesn't make it suddenly 'cool' and 'hip'. Turning a slur meant to break someone down and using it as "another way to say friend or bro" is classic Tyrion Lannister logic.

I live in Maine which recently fell from 1st place in the Whitest States in the US to 2nd place in recent years. Racism up here is very much alive because we're not exposed to different ethnic groups. We don't work side by side with minorities every day and realize they're just people. People where I live don't use the n-word playfully or to gaff with the lads. Everyone knows what the word actually means and whether you sugarcoat it or not, @Misty you're propagating the issue. If you really wanted to use it as friend or bro you'd use those words. The sooner we stop using the word the sooner people will realize skin color doesn't matter. But please, continue to spread ignorance in an attempt to fight off invisible "Social justice warriors" for the sake of "true social justice". By fighting against it you're becoming the hypocrite you so despise.

lannister.jpg

I love that Morgan freeman quote. Man has wisdom. 

17 minutes ago, Charlo said:

I'm a proud black man and I don't find the word offensive at all. There are limits.

saying things like - "You a real N**" are fine 

when you start going down the path of "You a dirty N***" then that's where it should be snipped at the bud.

From the words of a wise man, 

"It's either all okay, or none of it's okay"

click to 19m03s for a little conclusion that applies to this sorta thing.

Edited by TheLegend27

Rampage    0

George Carlton was a genius and was ahead of his time.  This skit sums up everything perfectly.   I wish we would all just move on and focus more on role play instead of wasting time with some silly words.  

Edited by Rampage

bigwiz14    23
36 minutes ago, TheLegend27 said:

"It's either all okay, or none of it's okay"

Tru dat. And according to the 0 tolerance policy I think we have our answer in this community's case. It's the internet so people will have differing opinions. A lot of what iDubbbz says hits true to the mark with me but he also has little tact. He prefers to say things straight out and (often enough) causes more drama. He might not have a filter, but he's being paid to not have a filter. People like that side of him. They like hearing what he has to say and what he thinks because a lot of us agree. 

That said, his persona lacks soft skills. He'll always be at odds with someone over something because he can't just get along. Do I agree with speaking my mind? Absolutely. In such a way that isn't meant to demean someone else. Can I be mean? Hell yes. I'm not a nice person. I just don't think slurs have a place in a community with a 0 tolerance policy and neither does the server owner and founder of all this fun stuff we play on.

But staff having to go through every use of these words would be such an undertaking that they'd have no time to handle reports, ban appeals or all the keyboard warriors taking this from 1 to 11 and trying to "pick fights" online. So instead why is it so hard to just not use the n-word in this community? Because that and the f-word regarding homosexuals are the only two words being discussed. Is there such a lack of control that you can't help but blurt out a slur every post?

That said I like playing devil's advocate so here's a quote I really like to share.

Home for the Holidays (1995)~ "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

King Box    0
21 minutes ago, bigwiz14 said:

Tru dat. And according to the 0 tolerance policy I think we have our answer in this community's case. It's the internet so people will have differing opinions. A lot of what iDubbbz says hits true to the mark with me but he also has little tact. He prefers to say things straight out and (often enough) causes more drama. He might not have a filter, but he's being paid to not have a filter. People like that side of him. They like hearing what he has to say and what he thinks because a lot of us agree. 

That said, his persona lacks soft skills. He'll always be at odds with someone over something because he can't just get along. Do I agree with speaking my mind? Absolutely. In such a way that isn't meant to demean someone else. Can I be mean? Hell yes. I'm not a nice person. I just don't think slurs have a place in a community with a 0 tolerance policy and neither does the server owner and founder of all this fun stuff we play on.

But staff having to go through every use of these words would be such an undertaking that they'd have no time to handle reports, ban appeals or all the keyboard warriors taking this from 1 to 11 and trying to "pick fights" online. So instead why is it so hard to just not use the n-word in this community? Because that and the f-word regarding homosexuals are the only two words being discussed. Is there such a lack of control that you can't help but blurt out a slur every post?

That said I like playing devil's advocate so here's a quote I really like to share.

Home for the Holidays (1995)~ "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

The thing is they don't have to even go through a bunch of reports in which the word is used and then try to find the context of it. 

It's all up to the the person it's being said too.

Someone could come up to me and call me a cracker, and I don't have to do shit. (granted most people wouldn't get offended by being called a cracker, it's just an example.)

So if I say nigga in a comment, and someone is offended by it, and thinks it has been used to insult someone, then they can report it and give the evidence that it is being used to insult someone. In this case, the staff just have to quickly read through the comment/post/whatever and then agree or disagree with the logic behind the reporter's report. 

And that's when it gets reported, if it doesn't get reported, then it's safe to say it's been used correctly or no one cares.

Were talking about evaluating a sentence or two or three. Not a whole book. If there is bad intent behind words, you should be able to spot it, if you don't spot it, then it probably is being used correctly.

Also this thread is about whether or not the staff are entirely considering our complaints. @Eagle has said ther are, and I see no reason to currently think he is lying.

Nonetheless it's still a topic worth discussing. I am only one person, and so is Eagle. I have POV, and so does he, and so while I see no reason to say what he is saying is false, there are still other incidences worth bringing up. And so while I love that we have a good debate going here and I see no reason to stop it, it would be nice to cover the subject more, rather the completely focusing on one case.

Edited by King Box

bigwiz14    23

I think more than not considering complaints it's a matter of inconsistency. I put up a ban appeal at the same time Andrey did for the same post that started all of this. It was seen to already. Mine which went up earlier than his has still yet to be seen to and it's exactly the same situation rehashed with an opposite argument. 

As long as I've been in this community staff have done their best and I think they're still doing so. The community is a lot larger than it was in 2013 I think and not everyone that posts on the forums plays the game (myself included because of work/school/hours required for a session). Everyone also seems to be very negative and nobody is giving a thought for staff. Do I dislike some of them? There are a couple I wouldn't mind getting axed. Do I think they're actually trying? Yeah. 

You can't expect >30 people to police <1000 without some inconsistency or at least a delay. That's what I tell myself at least.

King Box    0
4 minutes ago, bigwiz14 said:

I think more than not considering complaints it's a matter of inconsistency. I put up a ban appeal at the same time Andrey did for the same post that started all of this. It was seen to already. Mine which went up earlier than his has still yet to be seen to and it's exactly the same situation rehashed with an opposite argument. 

As long as I've been in this community staff have done their best and I think they're still doing so. The community is a lot larger than it was in 2013 I think and not everyone that posts on the forums plays the game (myself included because of work/school/hours required for a session). Everyone also seems to be very negative and nobody is giving a thought for staff. Do I dislike some of them? There are a couple I wouldn't mind getting axed. Do I think they're actually trying? Yeah. 

You can't expect >30 people to police <1000 without some inconsistency or at least a delay. That's what I tell myself at least.

I agree with that.

But what about when they take action on something and then people come and give them plenty of reason as to why the action should be revoked, and then the staff don't correctly reply to those complaints. They may still be replying to them, but it seems when they do they only back themselves up. Don't get me wrong though, defending your argument makes sense, I'm not saying don't do that, what I'm saying is that it seems (from my POV) Sometimes the staff are simply defending their argument with no inclination of a possible change in perspective.

Now I haven't been to every thread and read every comment that could be brought up in this thread, and so my view is limited, but from what it seems, things like Siorre's case, or Thumper's case, are merely defended and not debated.

Once again I never fully read through every single comment of both cases I mentioned and so my POV is limited to some extent, so I'm entirely open to new information and perspectives.

1 hour ago, bigwiz14 said:

EDIT: As a side note it's also against community rules. So cope with it since the person who started all of this has declared the use of the term to be point-worthy.

lannister.jpg

Fact is that there are a lot of people who are offended by it. Fact is that a lot of people who use it to say "friend" or "bro".  Your own personal situation and opinion have no influence on these facts. Where I live we are a mixed bunch of ethnic groups and, as is the case everywhere, there are always special snowflakes within these groups who think they have the right to ban words. But we do not let them ban words only because they find it offensive.  If we did, it would end up like North Korea very fast. 

Fact is there are words that offend people. Banning all or any of these words is a crime and its frightening me that you think that is the solution. What's next? Burning books with these words in it. Removing the Wiki pages and history books about events that brought these words to life. Great idea! They probably existed beforehand and will do so long after we are gone. The only thing we can hope is that one day people will decide not to feel offended by it anymore.  And as history shows, they eventually always will.  

Your video: You do not seem to have understood Morgan Freeman in that video. He does not mean to stop using the word "nigga" when its used in a normal way. And to make it clear, there are many people who use it as a term of "bro" or "friend" or something like that. Just because it doesn't happen in Maine it doesn't mean I 'do not completely understand the word'. It means the world is bigger than Maine and there are many more opinions you will have to consider. Just because I am not black, doesn't not mean I do not understand it. You're just biting the hand that tries to help you, acting like a victim whose problems can't be solved because nobody understands you. 

I will not respond any further, since i was just making a point at first and don't have much time to spend, sorry. 

Edited by Misty