Server time: 2017-10-22, 11:52
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
AndreyQ

Is offending someone a rulebreak?

Question

AndreyQ    0

So I was reading through this appeal:

and stumbled upon this:  You also did insult someone if they reported it, and should also know better than posting anything that could possibly offend someone. Be it lyrics, video, or a picture.

Now I am not arguing that the verdict is wrong as I have not seen what Vapor posted but that comment alone gets me a bit confused. If I understand correctly, it states that Vapor using the word "nigga" was insulting someone because the post got reported. This is simply wrong, as the only way that word would insult someone is if Vapor would have directly called that said person the n-word, then I could understand it being an insult. What really grinds my gear is the reported part. Here is one of my questions: Why does it matter if a post is reported or not? A post should break a rule regardless of it being reported so why does it state in the appeal that because it was reported it is deemed as an insult?

Moving on to this is what concerns me the most: should also know better than posting anything that could possibly offend someone

What?

This makes 0 sense. It's 2017, people are offended by every moving thing. If I report the verdict Aiko did because I am offended by the comment above would that mean that she should have known better? When I post something I don't care if someone is offended. I look if it breaks the rules we have. So saying that people could be offended is just beyond reason. Which leads to my other question: Why does someone being offended matter?

To my last and final point: Be it lyrics, video, or a picture.

My song has the word "nigga" in the first 5 seconds of it. I have also seen a lot of people posting videos where such language is used. Now I know there were no warning points given to those, but the verdict written by Aiko states otherwise. So final questions: Are videos, songs, lyrics containing such language allowed? Yes or no.

EDIT: Don't move this to general discussions until I get an answer to my questions.

86 answers to this question

Castiel    1124

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I understand pointing people who use the word if you want to censor it out from possible google searches or whatever, but by what @Aiko states here people can receive points for having an image, video, quote, song, anything that contains the "n word".

I have actually been afraid to put my profile song as something that contains the word because I don't want to offend certain Staff members who would point for such a thing. Also, seeing as any use of the word has been promised to receive points (including screenshots and/or images which contain it) then why is Aiko using a screenshot of Rolle saying these exact words in a ban appeal verdict? I understand that Rolle isn't going to get warning points as he is community owner and was announcing it (not very well, a thread would have been better) but surely Aiko using this word in her post, via screenshot or not, is breaking the very same rule she is enforcing by denying the appeal. Will she receive warning points? Can I use a song which contains bad words?

Mamba left some very true feedback regarding this same subject:

Beni    868

This isn't a question for me but... Hi, Beni the support here ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). I don't usually reply to these because it's more of a higher up question but, I'll slap my opinion on here...

I mean, in my eyes... and in my opinion people need to realise that this is the internet, and like it or not... You will see things that will offend you. Nothing really offends me on the internet because well, it's the internet... I don't take anything on the internet seriously in terms of insults and stuff like that. I mean, if a situation such as this were to happen, and someone was to get generally offended and they have reasoning behind it, once again may I state that this is MY OPINION, the person that is offended should just PM the user that has posted the " offensive " content and ask for the content to be removed, instead of being slapped in the face with a 3/5 points.

Edit 1: May I just add that majority of my music taste uses this type of language... And if someone get's offended by it... Then, seriously.. It's music... Come on man. 

Edited by Beni

Iso    1234

For me personally, it makes no sense to govern off of a subjective thing. What offends you may not necessarily offend me or my sensibilities. All someone has to do to gift you some warning points is claim that your content offended them and wham bam, you've got yourself 3 new points.

I personally do not like autism jokes, they're tasteless and strike a personal nerve with me. However, I do not think it is fair for everybody else to have to limit themselves or their jokes because of someone with my sensibilities, we simply do not share the same tastes, nor do I think it is fair for someone to post content completely unrelated to me but I find offensive and that leads to me making a report on said content. If your posted content offends me but was not directed at me, nor maliciously directed at any particular group, then I have no problem with that and, if you're anything like me and I know I am, neither should you.

Conversely, I can see offending someone becoming a rulebreak if it is done with malicious intent and is a targeted attack on someone. For example, if someone were to make horrid, I mean scum of the earth, autism jokes towards me personally about my brother then I would of course make a report and hope the staff team deals with it fairly. This is one scenario where I think offending somebody is a rulebreak, because you are simply going out of your way to flame and insult them and that simply cannot be tolerated. We, as members of this community, have a responsibility to demonstrate respect for our peers, though we may not like them. It is the same as a workplace or school, you may have a quarrel with someone and know where to hit them, but that does not mean you deliberately set out to do so.

In conclusion, I don't believe offensive content should be a rulebreak if it is neither malicious nor targeting of any one group or collective, if it comes down to an individual or group targeting another group or individual, then it becomes a different story.

Edited by Elmo

Hebee    2679
3 minutes ago, Elmo said:

For me personally, it makes no sense to govern off of a subjective thing. What offends you may not necessarily offend me or my sensibilities. All someone has to do to gift you some warning points is claim that your content offended them and wham bam, you've got yourself 3 new points.

I personally do not like autism jokes, they're tasteless and strike a personal nerve with me. However, I do not think it is fair for everybody else to have to limit themselves or their jokes because of someone with my sensibilities, we simply do not share the same tastes, nor do I think it is fair for someone to post content completely unrelated to me but I find offensive and that leads to me making a report on said content. If your posted content offends me but was not directed at me, nor maliciously directed at any particular group, then I have no problem with that and, if you're anything like me and I know I am, neither should you.

Conversely, I can see offending someone becoming a rulebreak if it is done with malicious intent and is a targeted attack on someone. For example, if someone were to make horrid, I mean scum of the earth, autism jokes towards me personally about my brother then I would of course make a report and hope the staff team deals with it fairly. This is one scenario where I think offending somebody is a rulebreak, because you are simply going out of your way to flame and insult them and that simply cannot be tolerated. We, as members of this community, have a responsibility to demonstrate respect for our peers, though we may not like them. It is the same as a workplace or school, you may have a quarrel with someone and know where to hit them, but that does not mean you deliberately set out to do so.

In conclusion, I don't believe offensive content should be a rulebreak if it is neither malicious nor targeting of any one group or collective, if it comes down to an individual or group targeting another group or individual, then it becomes a different story.

You're saying incidental offending vs actual targeted harassment two different things.

Iso    1234
1 minute ago, Hebee said:

You're saying incidental offending vs actual targeted harassment two different things.

That was the point of my point, two completely different situations, both where offence can come into play. One, in my eyes, is perfectly fine, the other is not.

Commissar    119

-User was warned for this post-

Personally,

I don't think our irrational pointing for every single use of the "N Word" makes much sense. Simply using these words casually, or in this case, citing song lyrics doesn't mean it's malicious. If someone is flaming and being disrespectful then I understand them getting smacked. But, things like warning for every single usage is beyond me. I've tried making pushes internally for this kind of leniency and mindset but that ball stopped moving.

King Box    0

I agree with what a lot of people have said.

Saying offensive words shouldn't really mean much unless they are used offensively. If we're going to ban the "n word" because people get offended by it even when it is used casually, then what about people who are offended by bastard or bitch, or any other word that can be found offensive?

Edited by King Box

Hollows    454

I don't really understand why we're censoring the use of that specific word, because there is no scale on the severity of offensiveness. There is no difference from saying the 'N-Word', and saying,'Fuck / Shit / Pussy,' etc. They're all categorized as profanity, so it just depends on who the person is and how they interpret what is being said. I suppose it's all just relative. 

Now, @Andrey, as for the," Is offending someone a rule break," it depends, but of course this (and the aforementioned statements are purely my own, individual opinion). Because to my knowledge, we're allowed to drop the 'N-word' or other racial slurs in RP as long as someone isn't offended on an OOC level, or it isn't overly excessive and be able to get away with it. I wonder why this is the case, when the same behavior, even if it is IC on the Radio Frequency isn't allowed to be brought over. In this situation, I'd feel it would be a case-by-case basis. If there was significant evidence to prove the guy was acting in an OOC manner whilst using IC to conceal his motives, then yes. The person would and should be punished. 

However, if you're arguing over the forums and someone offers a different opinion or viewpoint, I don't really think or feel comfortable (Personally) pointing someone because they're,' Offended.' If it doesn't violate the community rules, it doesn't warrant points. Period. There is a difference from a rebuttal in a debate or dispute, and someone harassing people/you. Sometimes, people just abuse the report system because getting the person they hate points is more damaging than any e-peen internet forum argument you can have, or meme you can make. 

Keione    50

I don't understand where exactly the line is drawn. You can't post something that is offensive to someone else, but when you banter with your friend on DayZRP Forums, someone else can feel offended and get the OP points. If you do it outside of DayZRP and someone finds out, they can still give you points or remove you from the community for OOC hate/harassment/whatever.

Honestly who get's that offended over a word? If you do, the internet is not the place for you. It's not like people are actually saying the "N" word. It's common pop culture for "n-ga" to be thrown around in songs and has practically become as casual as saying "dude".

What next, are you going to give points to Andrey because he didn't censor the word?

Hebee    2679
8 minutes ago, Hollows said:

I don't really understand why we're censoring the use of that specific word, because there is no scale on the severity of offensiveness. There is no difference from saying the 'N-Word', and saying,'Fuck / Shit / Pussy,' etc. They're all categorized as profanity, so it just depends on who the person is and how they interpret what is being said. I suppose it's all just relative. 

Now, @Andrey, as for the," Is offending someone a rule break," it depends, but of course this (and the aforementioned statements are purely my own, individual opinion). Because to my knowledge, we're allowed to drop the 'N-word' or other racial slurs in RP as long as someone isn't offended on an OOC level, or it isn't overly excessive and be able to get away with it.

Not even just an example as there are many others but this comes to my mind of someone being offended on an OOC level with a simple term and staff still allowing it, granted it was a while ago it was fresh in my mind.

SomeWeirdAssGuy    287

635975846617801825-640034265_51399072b31

If the "N" word is offending and is worthy of warning point, there's at least 25 profile songs that need to be taken down and people given points. Seriously, it's come to the point where people get offended for other people, so people are punished because someone might be offended. What if I find something offensive that others don't, should I start reporting people because I can't deal with it? Because that's what being offended is, your inability to deal with your own emotions so you shift the responsibility to other people to censor their content so that you don't have to be "triggered". Grow up.

Edited by SomeWeirdAssGuy

Strider    0

Can't believe @Andrey got two warnings on his OP for using the *WATCH OUT FOR TRIGGER* N-WORD!!!! in quotation marks to use as an example. 

ee5551ffe7803801987e4a34e0a13bb4.png

Yet Rolle did the same thing in his status update (Nothing wrong with the usage of the word btw), which was used in a fucking ban appeal verdict. What a fucking joke.

febf5f498d.png

Edited by Strider

Jetwells    0

Im offended that people are offended. Can i report them for offending my offence?

bigwiz14    23
15 minutes ago, Strider said:

Can't believe @Andrey got two warnings on his OP for using the *WATCH OUT FOR TRIGGER* N-WORD!!!! in quotation marks to use as an example. 

Yet Rolle did the same thing in his status update (Nothing wrong with the usage of the word btw), which was used in a fucking ban appeal verdict. What a fucking joke.

febf5f498d.png

At least his post was left up. I disagreed and will restate it in a way that is sure to remain up just so my -5 votes from my previous statement aren't wasted.

Using racist slurs is unnecessary and yes, even using it playfully is using it as a slur. One that was and is still used to segregate and divide people for something as silly as skin color. The English language has plenty of better ways to verbalize comradery if using the word in that sense as well as a way to disrespect people if used that way. If you make one exception the next will become easier and the next even easier. The stance is no racism. And the n word is a racist slur. Be more creative than leaning on one word that can be mistaken for hate speech.

SweetJoe    391

Honestly...when staff said it was allowed...we all used it...cause...rap music and slang really...staff members used it...there are videos of Rolle saying its ok as well as staggs and infamously Terra saying it...But before they started acting out with the derroggatory words, You got points, and if it was a Racial or Anti-Semetic Slur, you Got Perma'd. Straight up, I've seen many people Perma'bankilldeath'ed for saying the Title to the song below***. 

Boys and girls...come here...come real close...Once upon a time...You were in game and decided to call a black person or anyone for the matter...The title to the song below...and you got Permanently banned from Dayzrp.com.  Straight up. Good Night. No more "Whats up my n..." I digress...even Roleplay like that could get you Permabanned my friends...To the man I met Crip Walking down to Vybor...Careful calling people that nillywilly word. you gun git perm'nadded.

***Here is a song by long time celebrated musician Tupac Shakur. And yes, his name really was Tupac. Good name, Crazy guy with a lot of Charisma. So much can be said about the man. I remember the day they shot him... Anyway, here is the song, its a masterpiece, and contains the word in question. Sorry mates.

Might I add, This song doesn't offend anyone. Fact.

Edited by Winslow

Jetwells    0

The only people who get offended by words, Are the same ones that are trying to create a bubble around the world. Classing it as a fight for "Equality and against racism" Like pull the other one. Your using it as a way to get into the spotlight to let that little bubble of yours expand and capture the many other stupid people who cant think for themselves and follow the collective as to what they can think and do. Anything outside them orders, is racism, sexism, inequality ect ect bullshit bollocks blah blah.

Cry me a river some more. Real worlds full of them, lets not let them tear down this place too. Ban all weak minded individuals who get offended for the sake of being offended. I have some tissues made out of glass here for you. Keep going the way it is and youll be left with a divided community of new people as all the "Vets" are getting tired of the way the community is changing for the SJWs out their. This aint no safe space. Don't like something, ignore it, unless it jumps out of the screen and pulls your dick off, It aint gonna effect you. Oh no, This man said im a "Nigge*" Let me just test myself, yep, got cancer now. Who would of known eh?

Vapor    0
49 minutes ago, Strider said:

febf5f498d.png

WTF? He is asking a question and used the word in this thread for example reasons... Well, we might as well censor all words and give no context behind our questions and leave them vague, where they are unanswerable.

This guy asked a question in the admin thread and didn't get a warning... 

0fb62432fe.png

WTF?

Inconsistency.

SweetJoe    391
13 minutes ago, Jetwells said:

The only people who get offended by words, Are the same ones that are trying to create a bubble around the world. Classing it as a fight for "Equality and against racism" Like pull the other one. Your using it as a way to get into the spotlight to let that little bubble of yours expand and capture the many other stupid people who cant think for themselves and follow the collective as to what they can think and do. Anything outside them orders, is racism, sexism, inequality ect ect bullshit bollocks blah blah.

Cry me a river some more. Real worlds full of them, lets not let them tear down this place too. Ban all weak minded individuals who get offended for the sake of being offended. I have some tissues made out of glass here for you. Keep going the way it is and youll be left with a divided community of new people as all the "Vets" are getting tired of the way the community is changing for the SJWs out their. This aint no safe space. Don't like something, ignore it, unless it jumps out of the screen and pulls your dick off, It aint gonna effect you. Oh no, This man said im a "Nigge*" Let me just test myself, yep, got cancer now. Who would of known eh?

Hi Jet. Good ta see ya mate.

Let us all come together and agree that there is a clear difference here.  Emulating Hip-hop and Rap Culture isn't really offensive unless its used offensively and unwarrantedly. However, We can all agree that you should not be insulting someone using a racial slur. That should never truly be a thing. Also, why in a "Mature adult Community" can we not have a discussion on the word, or words, and use them in the discussion when it is fitting of the discussion, without getting points?

yeah mates. We going back to old school days.  They were good days, but some things would get you perma'd if uttered.  No Axis Powers, No Rap artists, No Racists, No Klansmen and SKinheads in Chenarus.   Yup, and that goes double for those playing middle-eastern hating American Storm Troopers.  yeah I heard enough of the last one.

yeah used to be real strict around here about that guys...yall lil lads don't even know.   Mate of mine has a video of someone getting banned right in front of him for the reason "racial Slurs" or something like that. kinda funny actually...that was an in game offense too.

I can agree that it is a disrespectful word to use but I also know that I'm can't say so much because the Swedish language used to use a word that's considered to be a "racist word" nowadays (Probably around the 2000 year) and this word were made a long time before any black people lived here.
I can show a Wikipedia link to it and some of you would probably laugh your ass off cause it is a funny word in my opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chokladboll

Jetwells    0

Its all subjective and contextual. You can usually tell the context in which the word has been typed/said and then deem it as an insult or not via that. Deeming the word itself as being that, is incorrect. I could call you all bastards. That's an insult. But the word means otherwise. So its not an insult is it? Subjective to the situation. I don't have faith in the staff team as others dont either. I feel alot of the members of the staff team are too immature and have not experienced enough of life itself to understand situations like these. 

Nolan    0

Staff themselves have used the term in the context of discussion many times. The fact that people are getting warned for that in this thread is ridiculous, some more contemplation and self awareness would go a long way in improving the competence of the staff team.

Moreover, the fact people are being warned for using a term synonymous with 'dude' or 'bro' is pretty dumb. Not that my or the community's opinion will change anything.

Post    0

I just can't see why people care that much if someone uses a slang term in a non-harassing manner. This is just my opinion, but it is just making more work than needed. Call me whatever you want, but how you say it is what matters. Having to dedicate time and resources to this is a joke. It's not just points, it's then an appeal, it's then a discussion, it's then a topic in a meeting. Move on from the little things.