Server time: 2017-08-22, 18:52

Sign in to follow this  

Video Evidence Time Requirement?

Question

I'm just curious. We have the rule that editing and cutting videos is not allowed. However, is there no set requirement on minimum video length? Lately I have been seeing many reports that consist of videos that are under thirty seconds. I've never heard of any Shadowplay or software recording only thirty seconds. You'd have to have some terrible luck to hit record, and twenty seconds later be killed. Too many times I seen this for it to just be bad luck.

I understand the other side-- why waste time with random footage? To me it's about perspective and consistency. If players are editing videos to only 30 seconds to show the rulebreak, they could easily be doing that to edit out their own rulebreaks, or context to a situation. You telling me all these people hit end recording two seconds they are killed? I feel it's incriminating others, and editing out their own mistakes. I just feel these short videos are odd. I suppose there's no way to prove something, but I think most would agree rarely is anyone recording a 30 second video.

Has this ever been addressed or discussed internally by staff?

8 answers to this question

Zero    285

I personally have never seen any recording software that records only a small amount of footage such as thirty seconds, in my opinion it seems like they are editing the video if that is what is submitted. There have been thirty second videos that are pretty sketchy because all that's in the footage is what they were doing right before they were killed or something similar. 

Castiel    1124

Yeah, lots of people pull this lmao. Upload a 15/30 second video to the report, if they get asked for the full thing it's either deleted or "corrupted". tNZMU38.png

I agree with you. The video should show a good portion of the situation in order to be used as strong evidence. 

You can't force people to upload a certain length video, some people don't record at all.

The way I see it, video evidence should be around a minute. Evidence not directly involved with the report, shouldn't need to be in the video. You also need to think about what type of report, some rule breaks your video could be 5 seconds and show everything. In some scenarios a rule like this could prove use, but I think the last thing we need is more rules in this community...

Yeah this is common as @Castiel said they always say its deleted or corrupted seen this more than once happen on a report.

Boston    650

It has happened to me where I've hit record in just the nick of time before I am killed, although it is rare.

It would be nice to see some sort of rule implemented to require atleast one minute of a situation beforehand, to allow for a wider view of the situation and make sure that the person who is recording isn't hiding something.

Good question, Post. If you have further questions, do ask. :)

Edited by Boston

Oliv    1572

It's tough to be honest. If all some one has is a 47 second video clip that shoes everything we need and is solid evidence am I to deny it because it is not over a minute in length? Am I to make an exception for this video but not another? These are questions I and the rest of staff shouldn't have to answer.

Is it possible that is all that is recorded because that's when they start/stopped with shadowplay/overwolf/etc via their hot keys? Sure it is. Do I think it's strange when some one uploads a 32.35 second video when I've seen them upload a full 17 minutes in previous reports? Sure as shit I do. I tend to like to take people at their word though when they say that is all they have, because when people have to lie about a video game on the internet it's just a sad day.

Nocheluz    104
On 2/5/2017 at 3:04 PM, Castiel said:

Yeah, lots of people pull this lmao. Upload a 15/30 second video to the report, if they get asked for the full thing it's either deleted or "corrupted". tNZMU38.png

Yep this ^^. Back in the day, video evidence would be requested "as is" with no editing. In my staff stint I remember sitting through as much as an hour of footage. Was it all relevant? Depends. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But the final word on whether something was relevant or not was left up to staff, not the one posting the video. 

I find it highly suspicious that people are submitting these very short vine type clips for video evidence. Not saying they are scamming the system, but it does make one wonder, and for me, would actually flag that evidence so that I'd want to look into it further.  Just sayin.