Server time: 2017-08-22, 11:20

Sign in to follow this  

Limit on making lore to the outside world?

Question

I see A LOT of potential to flesh out the world outside of Chernarus, as characters who have survived 2 years outside of it should have a lot to tell depending on there connection and encounters and such, but where is the limit?

I'm making a new character currently, but one of my still living characters, Titus, loves information, and has gone to a lot if not all of the countries of Europe in his two years of surviving. And Europe is a big place with a lot of people, so there is a lot of room to build large groups that work outside of Chernarus (and may have no effect on it), as well as build lore on what is going on outside.

One thing i imagine would pop up would be slavery, given that the world is now lawless, I imagine such a field would windup growing quite large in some countries. But that's pretty big I'd say, so is that TOO big is what I am asking? And that is just an example, here is another: say there is a large group in Germany that works as a safe haven, but mostly looks after it's own, so outsiders aren't welcome to stay for prolonged periods of time. Now, say my character knows about said group, and then wants to talk about it in an RP session. Should I? Should things like this be up to the lore masters to decide? Is it simply to big?

3 answers to this question

The rule of thumb with group and character lore is - as long as it doesn't impact others, should be okay. If you wrote something along the lines of, "There's a huge survivor camp in Germany that has maintained and rebuilt all the country's borders." Nah, you're indirectly effecting other's stories. The best thing you can do is keep the details simple and open. I don't feel you need approval, but you could reach out for it to the current LM team (aka @Staggs). Creating an outside group though like this wouldn't impacts others, I wouldn't see an issue with it. 

Unknown Entity    126

As long as it's not too powergamey it should be fine.

I've used characters with various stories from outside of Chernarus, including large groups / settlements, trying to go to Iceland, and others. As Post said, don't make it have a huge impact on the world, and it should be fine. Best bet is too always check with the LM's just in case.

2 hours ago, Post said:

The rule of thumb with group and character lore is - as long as it doesn't impact others, should be okay. If you wrote something along the lines of, "There's a huge survivor camp in Germany that has maintained and rebuilt all the country's borders." Nah, you're indirectly effecting other's stories. The best thing you can do is keep the details simple and open. I don't feel you need approval, but you could reach out for it to the current LM team (aka @Staggs). Creating an outside group though like this wouldn't impacts others, I wouldn't see an issue with it. 

yeah, the example group wouldn't have rebuilt Germany or anything. They would definitely have a large area in which they inhabited, not the size of an entire country, but big enough to fit a couple thousand or more people for sure.

I imagine if I were to meet someone with a German background, tell the about the group, and then they reply with "i was in Germany for a long time, but i never saw it", I'd simply say something along the lines of "its a big world and without things like the internet and such you could be a couple miles away from a sizable group and never know it existed."  something like that seems like a good excuse. 

Edited by King Box