Server time: 2017-10-23, 20:53
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Pinky

Bringing back screenshot of the month?

Would you like to see the staff team bring back Screenshot of the Month, or a similar event?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the staff team bring back Screenshot of the Month, or a similar event?

• Yes
    • No

Pinky    128

I was going to suggest this yesterday, because it was the first of the month, but i forgot.
Anyways I always thought that the screenshot of the month event was a nice filler event but it appeared to stop after September as evidence of Terra's thread here: 

I don't know if there is a reason why it stopped maybe because the new website doesn't allow the *Photographer* title above your name but this website does offer a nifty little awards section under your profile where your win could go.

What do you guys think? 

(Edit: Excuse my grammar, English is my first language i am just really fucking bad at it)

Edited by Pinky

Buddy    1068

Unpopular idea here: Create a low tier staff position designated specifically for maintaining things like this to keep going because let's face it, the same task being voluntarily passed around basically anyone mod+ to keep organized was bound to fail since it was never a set position for anyone to be responsible for. Bring back all of the old cheesy contests and whatnot and let one person be responsible for them. I KNOW there was more than just screenshot of the month at some point..

If there's anything this community is in dire need of right now, its a little bit of low-key fun for people to look forward to. Contests like this were exactly that.

Just my 2 cents.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Unpopular idea here: Create a low tier staff position designated specifically for maintaining things like this to keep going because let's face it, the same task being voluntarily passed around basically anyone mod+ to keep organized was bound to fail since it was never a set position for anyone to be responsible for. Bring back all of the old cheesy contests and whatnot and let one person be responsible for them. I KNOW there was more than just screenshot of the month at some point..

If there's anything this community is in dire need of right now, its a little bit of low-key fun for people to look forward to. Contests like this were exactly that.

Just my 2 cents.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So..... #BringBackMediaTeam ?

What other kind of monthly contests would you like to see take its place?

Ellie    335

Pretty much what Andrey said. I know @Bunny was in charge of it for the longest time (I think since CH). I don't know what exactly happened to it, just people lost interest im assuming. 

Covert    0

I think staff should bring it back. Friendly competition once a month. I'm sure theres someone in staff that could handle this, and if not, i'm sure they can hire someone who can.

Buddy    1068
5 minutes ago, Vapor said:

Yeah... It became stale... and eventually died.

I think it became stale because the staff who were maintaining it had more important tasks to tend to.

5 minutes ago, Shadows said:

So..... #BringBackMediaTeam ?

What other kind of monthly contests would you like to see take its place?

In a nutshell, yes. If there are more divisions of staff putting out more content for the community to enjoy then that only means more things for everyone to get involved with. People would be less bored around the forums and actually looking forward to content / contests / events being put out around the forums. 

Pinky    128

I added a poll to the thread to see what the community wants. 

Bunny    356

While I was still in Staff, there was a discussion about replacing the SOTM-contest with something else. The contest had turned into a massive popularity contest and was no longer about the screenshot, but more about getting the title on the forum. After it got harder for me to run it (some might've noticed I got a little late with the posting of the contest and voting), as well as what I mentioned earlier, I decided to discontinue it after the Halloween themed contest.

I personally think the contest should stay closed due to it only being about the title, and other contests like "Story of the Month", "Character of the Month", "Video of the Month"-etc should be pushed for instead. There are many people with huge talents in writing and editing. Screenshot of the Month/Week had already been running for over a year when I stopped posting it, with no other contests running next to it. (I had been running it for about 6 months at this point).

Or there could be altering(?) contests, which I have suggested before to the Staff team while I was still a member. Example, February is Story of the Month, March is Character of the Month, April is Video of the Month and so on.

2 minutes ago, Bunny said:

The contest had turned into a massive popularity contest and was no longer about the screenshot, but more about getting the title on the forum.

Well said,

For this reason it should stay dead

AndreyQ    0

I always wanted a roleplayer of the month. But probably ain't gonna happen.

Pinky    128
2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Well said,

For this reason it should stay dead

Ah, another good thing ruined by the mentality that being the most popular in the highschool is better then having fun. But I would love to see monthly events to honor our talented storywriters, characters, and video makers. As long as the bambis of the community get the same shot that a OG in the community would have. Or else i agree there is no point.

Just now, Pinky said:

Ah, another good thing ruined by the mentality that being the most popular in the highschool is better then having fun. But I would love to see monthly events to honor our talented storywriters, characters, and video makers. As long as the bambis of the community get the same shot that a OG in the community would have. Or else i agree there is no point.

No matter what the contest, if it could be voted on by the public it would come down to whoever was in the largest group, and had the most friends. The best way we could run any type of contest is if the general community didn't get to vote. Bias is a strong thing, and hard to eliminate. I would love to see some type of contest on the forums but I don't see how to remove any possibility of bias.

Rolle    2981

We can make it so I pick the winner of these contests instead of having winner picked by a community poll. That will be totally not biased and not a popularity contest ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Buddy    1068

Perhaps if the submissions for each screenshot / submission were not displayed with their corresponding owner... then it wouldn't be as likely to turn into a popularity contest..? At least that is what I thought when they were actually going on. Just hide results / names until the day of a winner being chosen.

Bunny    356
6 minutes ago, Pinky said:

As long as the bambis of the community get the same shot that a OG in the community would have. Or else i agree there is no point.

Writing and editing takes a little bit more work than taking a screenshot imo. I mean, if taking the screenshot was the same as taking a photo IRL it would be different, but its not, you just click a button. If someone who joined today wrote an amazing story and entered it, and someone who has been here for years wrote a mediocre one, then I am sure the new person would get picked over the old.

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I would love to see some type of contest on the forums but I don't see how to remove any possibility of bias.

Limit the number of finalists from 10 (like it was in Screenshot of the Month/Week) to 3 Staff-picks? The less people involved in the final, the less chance of bias. It will still be present, but it will be less.

1 minute ago, Buddy said:

Perhaps if the submissions for each screenshot / submission were not displayed with their corresponding owner...

Nothing stops the owner of the submission to tell people/their friends to vote on it, or that they own it.

2 minutes ago, Rolle said:

We can make it so I pick the winner of these contests instead of having winner picked by a community poll. That will be totally not biased and not a popularity contest ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You're the most biased person on the entire forum. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Bruce    0

Nah, it was always a rather useless contest and extremely easy to win with a shitty screenshot as long as your boys upvoted you. If you're going to bring a contest back, make it something more useful or rp based  

Something like I suggested here: 

Edited by Bruce

Mr Anon    125

@Rolle We can make it so I pick the winner of these contests instead of having winner picked by a community poll. That will be totally not biased and not a popularity contest ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

rotate it!

have two staff members agree on the winner, then for the next month have two new staff members agree.

Edited by Mr Anon

Keione    50

I posted in the thread once asking if it was coming back.

+1 bring it back.