Server time: 2017-08-23, 19:40

Sign in to follow this  
SirMadness

Pickpocketing?

Question

SirMadness    22

This is probably stupid question. I was wondering if you could emote '

*bumps into you as he walks past* //permission to pickpocket some ammo or something? '

This would have to be in the character backstory etc. With players permission would this be acceptable. And would you be able to do this without play permission. They choose what they give you. Waddya think?

11 answers to this question

Shadows    1019

If you ask OOC permission like that and everything I don't see why it's an issue. Could be pretty fun. Perhaps a bit better and smoother could be like this:

You're standing next to someone

You: *reaches hand towards other man's pocket* //Do you notice?
Him: //yes or no
You: *attempts to steal something from his pocket* //does it work?
Him: //yes or no

Just spitballing here. This could be pretty cool if people went it along with it!

I've done it and seen people do it before. Sometimes people react well to it and will drop an item on the ground that you "pickpocketed", other times they'll roleplay catching you in the act and some interesting hostile RP will ensue. 

I always used to say "attempts to pickpocket the man in front of him //do i succeed?"

Edited by Covert

Lyca    681

Yeah of course its a cool idea.

I saw people do it in the past most likely to me. ;) 

There is one specific person who is always stealing my beanie and also stole things from my pockets.

It was similar to what Shadows already wrote as an example. :) 

Voodoo    371

Used to do this back when i ran brotherhood of thieves. As long as its done correctly (as you have put) then its fine and can be fun to RP.

Brady    290

Its not common, and ive really only seen it done once or twice when I first got here. It didnt end well for the people who tried, not a lot of people are willing to give up one of their items for free!

It would be a good idea, but take into consideration everyones reluctance to give up items. Personally I have never seen a successful pickpocket. 

cakey    15

ah i like this.. something new.. and as long as it does not get over used :D 

Hollows    431
6 hours ago, SirMadness said:

This is probably stupid question. I was wondering if you could emote '

*bumps into you as he walks past* //permission to pickpocket some ammo or something? '

This would have to be in the character backstory etc. With players permission would this be acceptable. And would you be able to do this without play permission. They choose what they give you. Waddya think?

It really depends on whom you interact with, as people tend to vary. Someone might consider this an act of hostility, and blast you in the face, some might outright ignore it and others may acknowledge it and RP it out. It's highly situational, and I see it legitimate, but if you do wish to proceed doing this, I'd advise you to proceed with caution as people tend to deal very harshly to thieves in the wasteland. But, I do think it would be unique, and quite ballsy to be frank, to see someone attempt to do this to me. Go for it!

SirMadness    22

Oh I thought this hadn't been done aha, well I am definitely gonna give it a go. Thanks all

If someone tried it on me and I actually had a small item in my pocket, considering that he might have some experience pickpocketing I'd totally just drop the item on the floor for him. This is the kind of innovative roleplay that people need to put forward and try. We need more people who take risks, the reward is most certainly worth it.