Jump to content
Server time: 2017-10-24, 02:27
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
reesesaddict

Friendliness IC?

Recommended Posts

reesesaddict    28

I have to admit, I've been noticing a lot that people seem completely unafraid of others in RP. I'm sorry, anybody would be scared to death when they see a person carrying an AK with full camouflage walking down the road. Instead, people run up to each other to start completely pointless chatter as a sorry excuse for RP. You have no idea who this person is, what they've done, who they've killed, who their friends are, really anything. But people forget that and just play it off like nothing. People pretty much have grown used to being protected by the rules, so they know there is no threat whatsoever, and they RP that, but we can't remove those rules for obvious reasons. Something else that pisses me off even more is when somebody just walks by another person without saying anything, as though they are not even there. That's just stupid. If you don't have an IC reason to not see them, you wouldn't just be like "oh hey." How do you guys feel?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noxious    136

Alot of people run around with the mentality of they are going to get robbed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bradley    0

In many different situations, myself have gone up to people " not knowing them " to create some good as RP and sometimes I have to admit things don't to plan and I get really shit RP but the fact is we are 2 years into this shit hole and people have gone through so much that a normal human will break over. People are not longer scared of people, this only happens if you are playing a character in that type of style, Yes! You do get some people that roll around with the dicks out coming up to people that may have 5 to 6 people behind them and then I will be scared to even go into the town with the character I am playing. The things is yes people are clueless to what people has done but the thing is how do you know that person has done anything until you get to know that person? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Para    313
2 hours ago, reesesaddict said:

I have to admit, I've been noticing a lot that people seem completely unafraid of others in RP. I'm sorry, anybody would be scared to death when they see a person carrying an AK with full camouflage walking down the road. Instead, people run up to each other to start completely pointless chatter as a sorry excuse for RP. You have no idea who this person is, what they've done, who they've killed, who their friends are, really anything. But people forget that and just play it off like nothing. People pretty much have grown used to being protected by the rules, so they know there is no threat whatsoever, and they RP that, but we can't remove those rules for obvious reasons. Something else that pisses me off even more is when somebody just walks by another person without saying anything, as though they are not even there. That's just stupid. If you don't have an IC reason to not see them, you wouldn't just be like "oh hey." How do you guys feel?

 

One other argument you gotta take into account is the fact that we're 2 years into a shithole that involves death 24/7

Maybe it isn't they're not afraid, just that the prospect of death is one that has worn people down to the point where they don't care.

I mean, yea everybody has AKs etc, but realistically most people would have no idea how to shoot them properly so there's that aspect to being afraid. 

In terms of the people ignoring you, yea that can be annoying but if you make contact and they repeatedly avoid talking to you it's basically just avoiding rp so record and report. You gotta remember half of the new people on this server spend their entire time gearing up rather than rping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pepe Jones    76
3 hours ago, reesesaddict said:

I have to admit, I've been noticing a lot that people seem completely unafraid of others in RP. I'm sorry, anybody would be scared to death when they see a person carrying an AK with full camouflage walking down the road. Instead, people run up to each other to start completely pointless chatter as a sorry excuse for RP. You have no idea who this person is, what they've done, who they've killed, who their friends are, really anything. But people forget that and just play it off like nothing. People pretty much have grown used to being protected by the rules, so they know there is no threat whatsoever, and they RP that, but we can't remove those rules for obvious reasons. Something else that pisses me off even more is when somebody just walks by another person without saying anything, as though they are not even there. That's just stupid. If you don't have an IC reason to not see them, you wouldn't just be like "oh hey." How do you guys feel?

 

Would you have more fun if everyone was sitting in a bush hiding from one another because they were too afraid or had no IC reason to talk to them. Personally i find in game human interaction interesting but if you  don't like talking to people for IC reasons then go ahead no one is forcing you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Post    0

I can understand what you mean. Yesterday we half-initiated on a guy spying on us in a bush. Pointed guns at him, started yelling, asking him questions. We didn't take anything but we were very aggressive. We told him to fuck off in the other direction. He jogs a bit, turns back around, and goes, "Hey wait! What's your guy's names?" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chewy    659

I actually panicked last night on the way to the car line near Torovo. Bumped into a guy and ICly acted all flustered and paranoid because I was alone. He went one way, she the other. The dude had a freakin' AKM With a drum mag out, juuuust gonna turn around and come back the way I came from. xD

So, yeah! I guess I got some paranoid scared RP off there >_>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aberration    0

This attitude has always been in the community and its very mixed because. For example recently I passed through Pulk. I see these two dudes and start RPing with them doing my normal shit and all that and they were getting super paranoid and the second I turned my back I looked around and see them straight bolting for their lives in the other direction. Dunno if it was fear of getting robbed or if my RP genuinely had an effect. Though an example of people feeling protected from rules from 2014. I was driving this dude all the way from Pulk to Pobeda (At the time Pobeda was the north most point of map) I start getting super hostile. Screaming at him and having a schizophrenic episode in the car the guy is disturbed by it and all this and I drop him off. He bolts off terrified but not three minutes later after noticing his friend logged off he asks for a ride back and Its shit like that which is simply people figuring the rules make them safe. I see that attitude commonly but its infinitely worse when I openly see a group of people and they see me and I try speaking to them but they decide to keep running to wherever. I also try throwing in some unstable RP but the most ill get is a few people responding by getting worried ill rob them OOC so they just respond awkwardly in character and make some excuse to bolt off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shark    0

That's been a major problem with RP for a while now. Too many people fail to treat it more appropriately, where walking up to a stranger in this kinda environment could get you a bullet in the head no questions asked. Obviously you're aware that it won't (or at least shouldn't) happen and too many people let that affect how they interact with people. Like Post stated above, our group's intent is to break that shit and when we find you, we're immediately going to take precautions to keep ourselves alive first and foremost. No we won't KOS obviously, but when you come up to us as a stranger and ask us how's the weather, we're going to treat you like an idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cakey    14

I know what you mean.. buh how are people meant to RP , and if someone did act all in fear avoiding  someone looking intimidating then that could be avoiding RP, so yes walking right up to someone is mostly the case in starting role play. or a lot more rules would have to be added to make such RP allowable. and by the way I'M ADDICTED TO REESES TOO! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reesesaddict    28
17 minutes ago, cakey said:

I know what you mean.. buh how are people meant to RP , and if someone did act all in fear avoiding  someone looking intimidating then that could be avoiding RP, so yes walking right up to someone is mostly the case in starting role play. or a lot more rules would have to be added to make such RP allowable. and by the way I'M ADDICTED TO REESES TOO! 

 

 

9 hours ago, Pepe Jones said:

Would you have more fun if everyone was sitting in a bush hiding from one another because they were too afraid or had no IC reason to talk to them. Personally i find in game human interaction interesting but if you  don't like talking to people for IC reasons then go ahead no one is forcing you. 

 

 

10 hours ago, Para said:

One other argument you gotta take into account is the fact that we're 2 years into a shithole that involves death 24/7

Maybe it isn't they're not afraid, just that the prospect of death is one that has worn people down to the point where they don't care.

I mean, yea everybody has AKs etc, but realistically most people would have no idea how to shoot them properly so there's that aspect to being afraid. 

In terms of the people ignoring you, yea that can be annoying but if you make contact and they repeatedly avoid talking to you it's basically just avoiding rp so record and report. You gotta remember half of the new people on this server spend their entire time gearing up rather than rping.

 

 

13 hours ago, Bradley said:

In many different situations, myself have gone up to people " not knowing them " to create some good as RP and sometimes I have to admit things don't to plan and I get really shit RP but the fact is we are 2 years into this shit hole and people have gone through so much that a normal human will break over. People are not longer scared of people, this only happens if you are playing a character in that type of style, Yes! You do get some people that roll around with the dicks out coming up to people that may have 5 to 6 people behind them and then I will be scared to even go into the town with the character I am playing. The things is yes people are clueless to what people has done but the thing is how do you know that person has done anything until you get to know that person? 

 

My point is that people could at least act nervous or scared, but still have the RP experience. But just walking up to somebody and saying "Oh hey, how are you? My name is Bill. How about you? Oh that's cool! Yeah man I just murdered two guys just a mile back." Instead, people could act nervous, maybe be on edge. At the end of the day, it's your RP experience but it's pretty fucking shit RP if you're looking for genuine apocalypse RP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cakey    14
2 minutes ago, reesesaddict said:

 

 

 

My point is that people could at least act nervous or scared, but still have the RP experience. But just walking up to somebody and saying "Oh hey, how are you? My name is Bill. How about you? Oh that's cool! Yeah man I just murdered two guys just a mile back." Instead, people could act nervous, maybe be on edge. At the end of the day, it's your RP experience but it's pretty fucking shit RP if you're looking for genuine apocalypse RP.

I see where your going with this.. i know what you mean.. like the walking dead. no one is trusted cause ammo, food and meds are hard to come by and anyone could be gone in the head. and the amount of time the world has messed up i think yes it is strange for someone to be like hey what your name haha.. might have to think about this some more, maybe come up with some new kind of RP of interacting with someone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DocTeeth    33

Yeah I can see it too.. but as to the: Hi my name is... For Eddie that's a nervous tick for him to say "Hey, names Eddie, friends call me Eddie ya can call me Eddie too." And when leaving an area its: "Alright bye, be safe out there" at the top of his lungs. But his weapon stays in hand and he often refuses to turn his back on said person.

What I'm trying to get at is being overly friendly can force people to drop their guard. I've done it on public servers and most often folks don't know what to do giving me the upper hand.

Just offering a different perspective

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Karolis    0

 A lot of people with this top notch gear are either new people or people with groups. Of course if you're new to the community you won't know your limits and will try to play the strong guy. It's often seen with all the new players going for the "soldier" type of a character mostly. Of course most of these players change their characters drastically later on but what would a soldier do for now? He wouldn't go scared and stuff. New people find this RP suitable and just do it. I have to admit some of the new players are pretty bad with hostile RP but as long as they try and don't provide gear or bad RP it should be okay. Of they will have to learn from their mistakes. Not to mention that 70% of people carry military grade guns around so it's kinda normal to see it.

Older people who have groups aren't scared for an obvious reason. Somebody has their back. So they're not going to be scared.

As other people said this RP is kinda boring but hey we cannot really change anything since you can find a FAL laying around in a car or on the streets of Kabanino. I really love the groups who try to bring in fear but some of them just come out edgy and provide even worse RP like initiating and then you end up walking in circles for an hour with no RP at all. It's really hard to get in the "Scared" factor into RP since you're protected by rules and friends so it mostly comes out like yelling at each other RP. But I can't judge I'm one of them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frosty    0

1. Depends on what type of character you play.

2. It's two and a half years into the apocalypse. Paranoia has slimmed down a bit.

3. It would be boring just hiding from everyone to me.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not going to just run up and be fearless, but I'm not going to hide, and act paranoid the whole time. That just doesn't sound fun. Reality is boring if you think about it. Realistically, people would be hiding in the woods, and searching towns without getting into conversations with others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   92
On 2/1/2017 at 6:29 AM, Pepe Jones said:

Would you have more fun if everyone was sitting in a bush hiding from one another because they were too afraid or had no IC reason to talk to them. Personally i find in game human interaction interesting but if you  don't like talking to people for IC reasons then go ahead no one is forcing you. 

Pretty much this. If we REALLY wanted realistic roleplay, we'd all do only campfire RP with trusted friends and (likely as not) KoS anyone we don't recognize who looks even remotely dangerous so we can steal his can of beans. Which makes for some pretty lousy RP.

 

Sometimes realism has to take a back seat so that RP can prevail. This is one of those cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uriki    0

*footsteps* 

Idiot - "Hey! how are you ?"

Me - Not this shit again.jpg  "what do you want ?"

Idiot - "nothing.. I just wanted to say Hey."

Me - Waiting for the inevitable.bat

Idiot - "Got any 5.56 bruh ?" 

 

Repeat daily for best results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flapjack    66

Honestly, regarding what the majority are saying about it being detrimental to roleplay...I have to greatly disagree.

For example, the argument of 'we're far into the apocalypse now, people are going to be more casual'; this makes zero sense to me. If anything, people would have been more willing to group up with random fellow civilians and interact with them, during the actual collapse and a few weeks post-collapse. In my opinion, most people have enough faith in the human race to actually seek other people out for help during the time everything was falling. Plus, I reckon until around a few weeks in - people would be far more neutral or even helpful towards others. Until the actual threats start cropping up; ie. bandits with varying motives - I believe people would not be overly hostile. Don't get me wrong. There would have been numerous fights for resources etc. and not everyone will be as trusting in those they do not know. Nonetheless, my point is that there's far more chance of people being like that at the beginning of the apocalypse, rather than an odd few years in. I'd say, it's not until large, cocky factions start parading around with assault rifles that the fear of other people really strikes. 

Would people be traumitised by the slightest of things still, such as witnessing death? Nope. Now, when it comes to their own life, or others they care about - that's another story. I don't think people would just stop caring about the lives they cherish, simply because people are constantly dying, along side numerous other horrendous things.

I honestly believe, if everyone played their part properly and consistently, then roleplaying out a more authentic series of circumstances would work. And would be enjoyable, probably more enjoyable to people with a similar outlook on it to me. Nonetheless...it'd be a tad delusional to expect that. And the thing is, I don't see it working if not everyone plays along. Plus, even if it would - there's no changing how people have adjusted to RP on the server. It does often feel like some in-game DayZ chatroom...

Though, it is possible the capture good, authentic, realistic and enjoyable roleplay, while remaining true to the apocalyptic situation we're in. It does happen, quite frequently in fact. Just a case of being in the right place, at the right time often. Either that, or find a group to join, who focus on true apocalypse roleplay and internal. That's the best way to capture the experience efficiently, if you ask me. I appreciate it doesn't give the same experience as it would with someone random though.

 

TL;DR - I don't believe it would be detrimental to roleplay if people acted more realistically. Nonetheless, there's no changing the fact that this how the RP on the servers is. 

Anywho, there's my opinions on the matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrsiCkstar    2

I agree with the OP and Austin. People should be more afraid of others and they should not be willing to give out their ammo, food and other essential supplies so readily. Yesterday I started playing again after a while and started a new character and the first guy I meet gives me an mp-5 and stacks of ammo as soon as we had exchanged names. In these kinds of times ammo, weapons, food and water should be worth more than gold to people. These items literally mean survival, the difference between life and death for you and the people you care about. It kills immersion, when you have people just showering strangers with food and weapons. I would argue that it's even a worse case of badRP than a "drop weaps 10 secs" robbery is, because at least in a real situation robberies would happen. No one sane would freely give out ammo and food.

Edited by mrsiCkstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where can I get RP that isn't 'Internal RP' or 'Group RP' then?

I mean. If there was more possibilities of RP around, I would definitely stay hidden until I got to my RP spot, such as a settlement or something. But there isn't, really. So our best option is to roam endlessly on road until we find someone and start 'pointless chatter as a sorry excuse for RP'.

Should I start a chatter with an initiation instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThatRyanGuy    0

I've always gone with the theory that 2 odd years after the apocalypse shootouts and robberies are more systematic. If someone has lasted this long gunning them down may make you many more enemies, and that is why tying people up and questioning them is a safer option. While in some instances this wouldn't make sense, there's always a reason why people may act friendly or seem unafraid when approaching someone on the road

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vapor    0

I don't know... Whenever I am in game, I am always set to thinking this person is going to rob me or I am going to rob this person. Majority of the time I am robbing someone. Always a good turn out. 

I don't know about this friendliness, never heard of this before, it's always been about people are too quick to be a bad guy and trigger happy. This is the first time that someone is complaining about the amount of friendliness, maybe this is the work of smelling too much campfire? I'd think so. Campfire RP'ers finally come out and think the rest of the world is like their little world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sofie    0
On 1.2.2017 at 3:47 PM, Chawy said:

I actually panicked last night on the way to the car line near Torovo. Bumped into a guy and ICly acted all flustered and paranoid because I was alone. He went one way, she the other. The dude had a freakin' AKM With a drum mag out, juuuust gonna turn around and come back the way I came from. xD

So, yeah! I guess I got some paranoid scared RP off there >_>

 

I am "always" running around on my own, claiming I have friends watching over me. So fun when people believe me and seem more careful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skeetsi    0

We've tried to change it up a bit, towards a bit less friendly RP and it's fun, most of the times.

Member of our group was randomly surprised by a guy who straight up asked if he had any water for him. Our man answered by raising his weapon asking who the hell is he, why did he approach an unknown person and to stay away from him. Well the lad took out his gun and RDMd him right there but still, most of the times it is fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×