Server time: 2017-10-22, 08:28
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
SirMadness

Radio Chatter Question

Question

SirMadness    22

Hi all. If someone post's their private radio chatter frequency in an open frequency, does that private frequency stop being private. If everyone can hear someone say 'my frequency is 66.6Hz' then surely people have the right to tune to this frequency and hear/ reply to what is say IC?

13 answers to this question

Bran    0

Logically you would be able to do this but since it states in the rules

80386fbe70ed2bb2104960148b5dcf04.png

I doubt you would be able to do it.

Edited by Bran
My answer was incorrect. Changed it accordingly.

Chewy    659

I mean.. Technically yes? But no? This one has me stumped but..

4. If someone is having a conversation on a private frequency, don't post replies unless you get a permission from OP. It's to keep things nice without 3rd party members interrupting someones conversation with useless remarks.  

In retrospect I still think rules apply. I would say that the person would contact OP and ask if they're allowed to tune into the private freq.. Ugh this question has my brain in a knot lol..

WilliAM    431

Technically yes, if you say "I'm on frequency x" in an open broadcast whoever is tuning in will now know what your private frequency is. However when you make a private frequency, people need to have IC knowledge of that frequency. 

Shark    0

In my opinion, no. Private frequencies in radio chatter, honestly, do not work realistic manner. Private frequencies are a way where people send IC information privately, without interruption or knowledge by third parties. I don't particularly agree with the existence of private frequencies whatsoever; however, that is still the way they are used.

Check rule 4 of radio chatter rules. http://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/40336-radio-chatter-rules/

I'd like to see an "official" answer from one of the admins or Rolle. It's kind of a gray area, imo.

Skinner    506

No. I understand that you can justify it with "IC info you heard" but it would be a rule break to post a reply to a private thread. Don't do it.

4. If someone is having a conversation on a private frequency, don't post replies unless you get a permission from OP. It's to keep things nice without 3rd party members interrupting someones conversation with useless remarks.

Whether you could get away with using information from that private conversation as IC information without getting slapped with metagaming or not... that would be a topic for debate. I'd suggest waiting for a GM to weigh in on that, but in the meantime do not post a reply because it will get erased and you will get warning points.

Oliv    1884

To answer this as best I can I will use myself as an example.

I respond to a radio chatter and say "you can get a hold of me on frequency 99.9 MHz".

I then make a radio chatter later on saying "Calling all other sexy machines on private frequency 99.9 MHz".

Technically, that frequency is possible to be known because I have stated it once before. Does that mean even in a real world situation you would? Well, you would have had to hear me say it. For that you would have had to be tuned to that frequency listening at that moment I said it. So, is it possible? Sure. Is it plausible? Not always.

tl;dr - Unless you can say for certain you know that frequency, I would stay away from it.

SirMadness    22
1 hour ago, Oliv said:

Does that mean even in a real world situation you would? Well, you would have had to hear me say it. For that you would have had to be tuned to that frequency listening at that moment I said it. So, is it possible? Sure. Is it plausible? Not always.

Makes sense, but with this logic doesn't that apply for all radio chatter. People arent waiting for replies on radio chatter forums. Anyway since you can't enforce this as a rule does that mean yes or no. I understand it's a grey area but if a definite answer to the questions can be made from an admin such as yourself, I'd love to know as I'm sure others here would too. Thanks

Oliv    1884
2 hours ago, SirMadness said:

Makes sense, but with this logic doesn't that apply for all radio chatter. People arent waiting for replies on radio chatter forums. Anyway since you can't enforce this as a rule does that mean yes or no. I understand it's a grey area but if a definite answer to the questions can be made from an admin such as yourself, I'd love to know as I'm sure others here would too. Thanks

My stand point on this is if you are participating in the first radio chatter that was open where I drop my frequency, it makes perfect sense that you likely heard the private frequency being given out and I'd have no problem with you having it. To me that makes sense. But, if you had no involvement in the frequency, maybe just avoid jumping in the private frequency. We do have a rule on it already, I'd just stay out of it as the current rule says so or to ask permission first.

Ducky    71

Ideally "private" frequencies do not exist, however there is such a thing as encrypted radio signals.

In WW2 secure channels were a big demand for the US Army, they achieved this by adding noise to their broadcast and upon arrival at the other end that noise would be removed. This is called Encryption and Decryption, like having a password for a folder or a locker. You can see the locker, but only access it with the key.

Basically, anyone can listen to the transmission, but without the key it's just noise.

In terms of the radio chatter forums, I'd put it this way.

If you have ICly either ingame or on the open radio threads have heard their private frequency you should be able to listen in, since I doubt anyone would have the ability to encrypt and decrypt at a military level.

TL:DR If you have heard or know the frequency ICly, You can listen in.

SirMadness    22

Is this your opinion or what is true because it sorta contradicts what Oliv said.

Brady    326

If you feel the need to reply the private frequency, I wouldn't risk it and post on it. Instead, maybe ask the person that started it if you would be able to reply as you heard in the open frequency about the new frequency. 

On 1/31/2017 at 11:10 AM, Chawy said:

Its your call but dont try and add something in if its not constructive to the conversation. 

Beni    868

Hello @SirMadness

Can you please select the answer you found most helpful? Do do this, simply select the big tick mark above the up-vote and down-vote buttons to the left of someones avatar!

Thanks!