Server time: 2017-10-23, 22:47
Safe Zone: OPEN

Oliv

Staff Feedback: Oliv

Oliv    1889

Hello,

This is a place for all feedback regarding your second favourite Admin, Oliv.

Things to know about your second favourite Admin...

Spoiler

I'm Canadian, so I spell favourite with a "U". Get over it.

I love the Toronto Raptors and just about all things Canadian.

I will give almost any type of music a go, but I especially enjoy Hip Hop, R & B, and Rock.

I love food and love to cook. I get dangerous in the kitchen from time to time.

I expect that one day I will be the embodiment of the angry little man from the movie "Up!"

I love many TV shows, including Supernatural, Top Gear/Grand Tour, Suits, and The Real Housewives of New York.

All feedback is appreciated, no matter how big or how small. Make sure your feedback follows the feedback thread rules and the template below.

Rules:

1. Community members may only post in feedback threads using the template below.
  2. All feedback and criticism should be constructive. No rants or pats on the back.
  3. Staff members may reply freely to feedback within their own thread.
  4. Posts not adhering to above rules will result in 5 warning points per post.

Template:

Spoiler

Link to the situation:
(Use "N/A" if not appropriate.)

Any supporting evidence or notes:
(Here you can post a screenshot, chat logs or anything else to help demonstrate your point,Use "N/A" if not appropriate".)

(Here you post the main section of your feedback. Keep it respectful.)

Suggestions for improvement:
(Use N/A if not appropriate. If bad feedback suggestions of improvement are required.)

If you have something you wish to bring up but do not feel like doing it publicly, please feel free to PM me. If it's nudes you're after, definitely PM me.

I remind you all again, when posting feedback
Posts that do not adhere to the staff feedback rules WILL result in 5 warning points per post.
If your post will not fit the rules, PM me.

Hebee    2683

Link to the situation: N/A

Any supporting evidence or notes: N/A

Oliv you seem to be one of the more down to earth and humble admins currently on the team you never shut down to criticism and discussions no matter how pretty small or irrelevant it may be. This is something that I greatly respect from you as even I was pretty shit when I came to dealing with this sort of thing. Keep this up I know all of the people that I talk to have nothing but respect for you for this.

Onto more personal interactions you have removed some overdue points for me moments from when I have asked when I have not seen that type of response upon messaging the other admins and that is greatly appreciated as well. Keep up the good work.

I mean everyone can improve on something right? You are kind of  inactive from what I can see recently in the ban appeals section. While I cannot see thread notes or the discussions behind the conclusions of them I can only state that you have not personally handled writing many of them. You could try getting more involved in these processes (writing them). 

Oliv    1889
20 minutes ago, Hebee said:

I mean everyone can improve on something right? You are kind of  inactive from what I can see recently in the ban appeals section. While I cannot see thread notes or the discussions behind the conclusions of them I can only state that you have not personally handled writing many of them. You could try getting more involved in these processes (writing them).

I did ask for it.

This is something I have knowingly struggled with and I am still trying to correct. I hope to eventually get it right, but I know I need to improve on it.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm always looking for ways I can improve. Keep em coming if you spot anything else please.

Nocheluz    122

Link to the situation: N/A

Any supporting evidence or notes: N/A

I didn't have the pleasure of working with you in staff Oliv. I think we just missed each other as far as staff appointments go. But I have noticed your rise to admin status and your responses/behavior on the forums. This is not a pat on the back per se, but rather some observations of facts Ive noticed directly, and of which there are many examples throughout the forums.

I see you as being very diplomatic in almost all situations you address. While I don't always agree with your assessments, I feel they are respectful and thought out. Generally you seem to try to think before you speak or make decisions, answering or explaining respectfully, even if the person you are responding to may not be behaving in kind. These are important characteristics for an admin. Those, and the level of work you appear to put in dealing with issues arising on the forums in particular, seem to be your strong points. I see you fielding many questions and giving explanations when sometimes you are the only admin weighing in on rough or murky waters, so to speak.

I thank you for your help with my issue. It was a small one, but you were prompt and gave a response that solved it. Much appreciated. 

I would say to keep up the good work, BUT also don't let yourself get burned out. There is much to be done at the Admin level. I can see that you are still learning some aspects, while doing quite well in others. But as can happen with someone who works hard, it can drain you at times, so don't forget to give yourself a break when needed. That will help you maintain your respectful and diplomatic nature, which is quickly elevating you towards becoming one of the most respected admin.

Oliv    1889
4 hours ago, Nocheluz said:

snip

I appreciate the feedback Noche. I will definitely keep that in mind and I will do my best to make sure I don't burn myself out. Balancing things to ensure that doesn't happen is hard and I'm sure any one who is or was in staff will tell you the same thing. I'll continue to do my part to ensure things here go on as well as can be for as long as possible.

Brad    158

Any supporting evidence or notes: (Here you can post a screenshot, chat logs or anything else to help demonstrate your point,Use "N/A" if not appropriate".)

recent forum posts, overall attitude

Feedback:(Here you post the main section of your feedback. Keep it respectful.)

Oliv,  I feel you are a capable Admin, who can get the respect of this community.  You tend to be the first admin to jump into discussion, and are also able to admit to mistakes.  I was once again impressed with your forum attitude in a recent discussion we had (despite my initial accusation that you could have taken offense to)  keep it up, and maybe light a fire under the asses of the other staff members.  Honestly I think you maybe the strongest member of the team currently, let's hope you can show them the way.

Suggestions for improvement:(Use N/A if not appropriate. If bad feedback suggestions of improvement are required.)

my only suggestion would be to get outside your comfort zone a little bit.  Challenge the rest of the staff team, because I think you are capable of doing so.  Get them to question their own decisions and make sure that everything is for the betterment of the community.

Oliv    1889

@Brad Thanks for the kind words, that really means a lot. I can tell you, we have some amazingly strong staff members here that do want to make a difference as well. Perhaps I'm more vocal about it, but that comes with the suit. This is a fine ass community full of some fine ass people. Times might be rough, but we can get back to the good times again.

Hebee    2683

Link to the situation: in game activity

Any supporting evidence or notes:e545e30e1d67a91d2d14f3966c52206c.png

Feedback:This activity is fairly low for a person in position of power in this community, it should be expected that anyone who deals with and punishes in game / ooc rule breaks or drama within the community or has any influence on the staff team at all should have some form of activity in game. This assures that a quality standard for role play to staffs expectations is being kept by having your presence in game, and just keeps you in the general loop so you are aware with what is going on within the community beyond your staff walls.

Suggestions for improvement:Get in game

Oliv    1889

Thanks for the feedback @Hebee. Although I don't like to admit it, it's accurate for myself. Been a hard few weeks where I was bordering on burn out, but I'm actively working on trying to change that. 

I do my best to get in game a few hours a week at least, generally streaming everytime I do. I even made it a point to go check out a settlement as was suggested in a previous thread to verify some faction activity on my last romp in game. 

Either way, I'll try and step it up, both in game and with staff work as I feel I've been slacking on that lately due to the burn out. 

Edit: fixed some spelling mistakes, wrote this while on the phone

Hebee    2683

Link to the situation:

n/a

This is a pretty obvious case in this ban appeal. He felt like having a laugh and made a couple jokes, we all do this and it is very clearly not malicious - so why this is being dragged out I do not know. This ban appeal could have been handled in the 2 days since it has been up since it is really simple and should not need this much further explanation for, and I feel at this point you are dragging it out for whatever reason.

Just get it done, sure it can be annoying / frustrating when you have people making jokes with the TS rules but a ban appeal for it should not take two days. In recap, do not unnecessarily drag this out, as it is wasting everyone's time. 

Oliv    1889
4 minutes ago, Hebee said:

Snip

Thank for the feedback Hebee. I would not have asked the question though if I did not honestly want to see an answer to it. The only thing I regret is not having asked the question sooner as you are correct that the appeal has sat for longer than it should.

Yoshi    61
Link to the situation:

Take note of the posts from April 5 and April 28 on page 2 of the group thread

I should have addressed this much earlier, to be honest. I don't think that anyone should be micromanaging groups to this degree. While it may be necessary to look into groups who are heavily inactive with fewer than the required amount of player and take the appropriate action to inform them that their group may be terminated if they cannot gain the number of required active members to sustain themselves as an official group, I do not see why a staff-level of activity checking is needed for each group all the way down to the individual member. If only one member is seriously inactive, then maybe inquire as to why they are inactive instead of just telling the group leader to oust them or force them into the game. There are some people who have been in our group, both officially and dynamically, such as Simon and Haven923, who may not be active during certain periods of the year due to career obligations.

I would like to suggest maybe taking a step back as staff in whole, and not just yourself, as far as how the group activity is viewed. This is something I'm saying because it's stemming from something I regularly saw in staff that's now bleeding into the community. Groups and their leaders do not need this kind of pressure as they may already be dealing with other issues and this would only add to the stress given. (Stress which was heard reverberating throughout the group on several occassions) I believe most groups police their own activity well enough for this kind of responsibility and judgement to be left to those in charge rather than having a hand forced by staff. Please, I ask that this kind of activity cease to continue as I do not see any benefit gained from it. I only see negative effects. Unless you could perhaps shed light on exactly why it goes this far?

Again. I'm not saying staff has to do 'X' action, nor am I blaming you completely, Oliv. I actually was hoping there was a more generic forum in which I could post these remarks. Looking at the negative light I was able to shed on this action will hopefully help you to see why I wish this kind of thing would not persist.

Oliv    1889
9 hours ago, Yoshi said:
snip

I appreciate the feedback, but reviewing group activity is part of the requirements and staff duties. It is to ensure the group members are not just taking a spot on a roster and not contributing to the group and roleplay of the community. Another reason would be with the additional benefits that can come along with a faction, it is our responsibility to ensure that faction members are actually being active in game and not just adding to the numbers to obtain faction status. I would prefer if group owners did this themselves to be honest, but it's clear we need to step in at some point.

Hell, I remember some groups that applied to be a faction where 3 or 4 people hadn't been in game for months and some weren't even whitelisted. If we did not check into group rosters, things like this would slip through the cracks. As a group owner, ensuring people are not just a roster spot is their responsibility. I remember @Ron doing this very well for example, as I'm sure their might be other group owners that looked after group activity without us needing to intervene.

I understand perhaps not calling out the group member themselves, if you feel like that is targeting the group member or whatever, but I will not stop with reviewing group in game activity.

Yoshi    61
Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2017 at 7:47 AM, Oliv said:

-snip-

Link to the situation: N/A

Any supporting evidence or notes: N/A

It was more the individual members being called out is what I was getting at anyways. I can easily understand how groups need to be checked for activity to ensure proper numbers, which is something I did mention, but I agree with leaving the group or faction member be if there are a large number of active members where the group more than meets the necessary requirements to stay afloat in any case. I don't necessarily feel as though it is targeting. I feel like it's unnecessary in contrast to the situation where you were calling out those, say, three or four members who were the ones that barely made the group able to sustain eligibility.

Thanks for understanding what I was trying to get at and helping my own understanding of the subject, Oliv.

Hope staff has been treating you and the others well since I left. ^_^

Suggestions for improvement: N/A

Edited by Yoshi

John    271
Posted (edited)

Link to the situation:
Inappropriate commentGreat feedback

N/A

I've got to say I'm torn about you, Oliv.  On one hand, you have good ideas.  On the other, you openly deride your subordinates.  Something you should know about me, I'm the kind of guy that loves providing ideas, and I love getting feedback for it.  I'm the guy that helps people write their backstories realistically, that provides mostly functional ideas for perma-death, and that interacts with Staff as often as I can.  Because of me, the standard punishments for rule breaks was made public on the forums.  You see, I like transparency; but I also like to know that Staff will have each other's back, or at least will recognize time and place for criticism.

Because there is definitely a time and a place.  But you got both dead wrong in that scenario.  You acted rashly and publicly posted your admonishment for the LM team's actions.  Were it obvious to them that they were supposed to be silent about the upcoming lore, I'd almost say I understood your reaction.  But you did two things majorly wrong.  First, you didn't wait to absorb the information.  Second (and most importantly), you commented your displeasure on an open forum where everyone could see your frustration.  I lose a lot of faith in people when I see them unable to contain and direct their anger in a constructive way.  I would personally expect an Admin to have taken the time to compose themselves before making an impulsive comment like that.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Separately, I would say that your open feedback of people's ideas in the community is refreshing.  Other Admins from time to time will interact and provide thorough opinions on topics.  Up to now, though, I thought you were always to go-to guy for that kind of thing.  I hope to continue seeing more constructive feedback and less impulsive behavior.

I would have almost certainly PM'ed them, told them to shut up about the lore.  Since you use Slack, I would recommend you take your frustration at other Staff members out using that medium.  Keep divisions off the forums, otherwise you'll breed discontent both in the Staff and the community writ-large.

Edited by Static

Oliv    1889
2 minutes ago, Static said:

snip

The feedback is appreciated. You're 100% right, that was not the time nor the place. The LM team is aware of my issues and my pain points, I've made it clear to them several times I thought, but I am clearly wrong. It was my frustration getting the better of me. I'm not going into further details, that is between myself and the LMs.

Realizing my slip, I also wrote this comment here where I express that regardless of my personal issues, the community will always be put first. As well Rolle expressed similar frustrations here. Take the comments for what they are, but my frustrations over this lore process have got the best of me at times. I'll be happy when it's over soon and hopefully it is received well.

That is all I will respond with, because the more I type, the more I find myself using the backspace key.

Posted (edited)

Link to the situation:

Spoiler

The rest of your recent forum history.

Uncle Rob,

I just want to give you a nice and firm pat on the back for a couple of reasons. Number 1, it really seems like you can use one. Number 2, I feel like you've earned it. And number 3, I wanted to write somebody feedback. The work that you've been putting in recently in regards to the group approval system is such a nice breath of fresh air. As usual, you're making yourself known on the forums and continue to act as that admin with the big forum presence, something we've talked about together a lot. I'm not 100% sure how this new approval thing works, but it seems like you and @Major are both putting a lot of work into this and so that's a nice +1 for the two of you.

Image result for pat on the back gif

This is a system many of us have wanted back for a while and boy is it nice to have it back at full strength. Back to just Rob, I have seen you signing verdicts here and there and also writing some of your own. You've always been known to write fair verdicts (even if you do edit the evidence) and I am all for you helping out with reports when you have the time. You've also been hitting hard in the appeals section and pulling your weight, maybe more, from what I can see.

Now, I do have one small gripe and that is just a wish for you to be around on teamspeak a bit more. This is the place where myself as a community member fails to really see you. While I read your thoughts on the forums, I don't very often see you available to talk to on teamspeak all that often which is just something that would be cool.

1. Keep it up with the groups.
  2. Nice forum presence, keep it strong.
  3. Get involved in more reports because I like your verdicts.
  4. Try to be more available on teamspeak.
Edited by Shadows

Joffrey    894
Posted (edited)

Link to the situation:  

Any supporting evidence or notes: Yes, but they are PMs and it's annoying to take screen shots.

This is a general staff feedback, but seeing as you are an admin and can help control Staff mindset and policiy I thought it best to come to you. Also as you are on the butt end of my points of thought, I felt this was in context.

Okay so in about a weeks time I have had 3 separate PMs from Loshcham, Ender, and Saradomin, about my grievous Radio chatter threads. Lets go over each incident;

Loscham was upset that in a radio chatter thread, I didn't transmit anything. However, it was directly relevant to the Radio chatter, as I had to listen to my radio to hear it.. I was letting the OP know, through RP on an OOC level that we had seen the post, and were going to respond to it in character. I did not want to say anything in the thread IC, as it was a pleasant call out to survivors about a camp location, and didn;t want to bring the RP drama to the thread. In a sense, I was building a story arc for the OP whilst not interfereing with the point of her thread,

This was obviously terrible, and Loscham was kind enough to tell me about it without giving me points. 

Time #2 quarantine zone. I posted an update on the VDVs quarantine area, and I added a picture to the post to help visualize the words I had said. Similar how to when Tony posts a link to a song, the OOC link to a separate site that hosts his audio, helps us understand the lyrics of what hes singing.

Ender let me know this was immersion and community breaking and promptly remove my RP ednorsing image. 

Time #3:  I tag skinner in a post. Something tons of folks do, all the time with little to no harrasment, and within like seconds of my post going up, Staff takes away the tag, and my link to transcripts that were said in the damn radio chatter... as it was an OOC link. LIKE COME ON..

REALLY?  What the fuck.. seriously? This... this is the shit ya'll are going ham on? Granted I wasn't given points (Yet)   for any of these.. but all of these circumstances were RP promotion... and n ot flamey, or mean to anyone... so like.. what.. is it fuck on Joffrey's radio threads week? Is shit that slow in staff that you have to continuously remove stuff..thats actually pleasant?..  I dunno.. but it's really annoying. And you may retort with" Rules are Rule"

Sure, and that is a good retort under some circumstances... but YOU YOURSELF.. not a few hours ago put some edgy Gifs of a dude threatening a guy with a sledge on IN A REPORT. Right? You are going out of your way to be extra condescending to some 16 yr old who is rebelling against society.

So you can posts edgy gifs..but I cant post some RP enhancing additions to my radio chatters?... Rules are Rules amirite?  Fuck dude.

Suggestions for Improvement:  I still respect the hell out of you... just lay off me for god sake. And if you and the team cannot find it in your hearts to lay off me, at LEAST follow the damn rules yourselves.

Edited by Joffrey

Oliv    1889
47 minutes ago, Joffrey said:

snip

Sorry it took so long to respond Jof, I have yet to follow my feedback thread again since the site update and didn't see this until another admin pointed it out to me. I'll correct that right after this reply.

I'll go through your three points (plus some bonus points, everyone loves a bonus).

1. Not responding on a radio chatter but posting to let them know it's been received.
    This has been going on for a while, and it's never just happened to you. Think about it. It's a radio. If you send me a message, I reply back, and then you nod in agreement to my reply, do I know that you nodded? I would if it was FaceTime, but it's not. Staff did the correct thing and message you, which would have given you the opportunity to add something to the reply. If something is said on a frequency you have, especially one you were communicating on earlier, it can be assumed you now what was said. 
    Is it nit picky? Did it kill a great, well written, roleplay forwarding reply? Probably, but without transmitting no one knows what happened.

2. Quarantine zone with the pic.
    Although I agree, it would make things much easier to understand, people can't see a pic over the radio. Now, in this case perhaps it's a little different. It's not as if you were trying to fax a pic to them over a walkie talkie, you were trying to give a visual so people could see the words in action. People are visual learners, it would probably have been of some help to see it. I still don't know if I would have seen this any different than Ender did tbh, but I do appreciate what you were trying to get at. I don't know, I might have actually not had any issue with this as it's not traditional OOC.

3.  @-ing someone so they know about the response or OP of a radio broadcast.
    I actually don't have a big problem with this, especially if the person hasn't responded to the radio broadcast before and you can't quote them so they get a notification. This is a valid point we could actually discuss and maybe implement allowing.

B-B-B-B-B-B-BONUS POINTS!!!!!

1. Staff's not picking on you. No one is purposefully trying to shit on your radio threads. The cell phone reception is terrible while doing so and have you tried taking a shit where you have terrible cell reception? It's boring.

2. Yes, perhaps I went a little gif happy with the edgy gifs. I honestly went looking for one, then I found a whole series that went together. I got a little giddy and overzealous.

3. Here is another gif of some fantastic magic tricks from the same show

tumblr_oodakxdKtl1r6ftvgo1_500.gif

I genuinely appreciate the feedback, you've brought up some things we could actually discuss as well.

Jamie    1424

Link to the situation:
Appeals section and general posts. 

N/A, everyone can see it. 

Oliv, Oliv, Oliv. Sometimes you have no chill and stuff you say can be interpreted badly. There can be some days where you come across real short tempered which makes me concerned. Perhaps I'm too used to the fact you're Canadian.

If you're ever having a shit day, you need to remember that you can always talk to any of us. (Edit: I might not be in staff, but you can always still talk to me.) You're the Dad of the team and I know you care a lot for it, but just bare in mind that you need to care for yourself. You take on a lot of work and I think it has worn you down a lot. You're active in most areas, and I'm never worrying about your input as an Admin.

You have a backbone, and you always have a solid opinion that I can always trust whenever I ask you. Just take some time and make sure you look after yourself first. Perhaps you're overdue for a break, you've earned it. I'll miss you.

Take a break. Keep doing what you're doing. :*

Edited by Jamie

Oliv    1889
1 hour ago, Jamie said:

Take a break. Keep doing what you're doing. :*

Stop trying to tell me what to do. But seriously, I know, I know. I've learned to step back a bit and it's helping my mental health a bit. I'll keep it in mind and learn to step back or away if I need to put myself first. I appreciate the kind words and the offer of an ear.

Beni    869

Link to the situation:

- Teamspeak Helpdesk

- None 

- After being pulled up to the helpdesk by Oliv, I was expecting to get put on final or something for some drama that's been started, but honestly this wasn't the case. Instead Oliv and myself [And @Lyca lurking in the mist] had a real good chat, not just about the situation, but things around the situation. Asking me about other stuff, he knows what I'm talking about honestly. This actually gave me a lot of faith back into The Staff team and the community in general. The actual amount of honesty from Oliv was honestly more than I expected. I honestly enjoyed the Help Desk talk even if it was for a negative reason, Oliv mate. You're a top staff member lad. Keep doing what ya doin'.

Don't get on Teamspeak/The Forums when you're not in a good mood, because honestly the way you acted then would stop a lot of Rulebreaks I've done in the past. Keep dragging people into HD and talking to them about issues that they've done/having in the community. 

Nice work Oliv. 

Oliv    1889
4 hours ago, Beni said:

snippity dippity doo

Beni, I enjoyed the chat as well. I'm going to try and do this more often as well, because like we said during this chat, sometimes there are better ways to do things. I think this was one of those times. I have to give credit where it's due though, although it was part of an entirely different situation, I owe part of it to a chat I had with @Infamous and someone else in TS last week (can't remember who else was there tbh). Glad we were able to catch up too, even if it was only for a bit, it's been too long.