Server time: 2017-08-19, 17:03

Sign in to follow this  
Rolle

Staff Feedback: Rolle

Rolle    2450

Leave feedback or criticism for Rolle. Keep in mind the staff feedback posting rules present on the staff feedback forum index.

Feedback: I find that you can be very inconsistent with how you handle members of the community from one instance to the other. There has been a number of times where you have made a call that would lead to the permanent removal of a member of the community (Sometimes even over turning verdicts or decisions by other staff). The issue I have is we have all these checks and balances in place to punish community members who act or do things seen as unwanted in the community; often in a way that would allow them to learn from their mistakes. 

I know there will be cases that warrant a removal from the community; such as very serious violations, or constant repeats of rule breaks/community rule infractions. Those cases are unavoidable and I can totally understand why we have rule 4. The issue I have is that some times members are hit with Rule 4 simply because of how they word things; perhaps they are rather jaded with how things are going in the community or dislike the direction things are headed. I can understand that you might not like seeing those people speaking negatively about the community; but I think its rather unfair to simply permanently remove these people without proper checks in place first.

If feedback is negative, suggestion on how to improve: For those cases that arn't out right malicious (jaded perhaps but not damaging in nature) I'd like to see the systems in place be used instead of permanent removals. My examples would be Thumper and Chernov; I won't go into to much detail (This isn't me trying to argue for them to be unbanned), but Chernov for example was on 0 warning points if I remember correctly and he went straight to a permanent removal for speaking out about JimRP. I understand the post was flaming in nature, but I'd like to see the systems that are already in place come into effect before a rule 4 is issued. I can understand repeat offenders having harsher consequences; but I think more warning and engagement should have been present before these permanent removals occurred, especially if the people in question arn't acting in malicious ways.

Rolle    2450

@Roger Thanks for your feedback. I disagree that the people who I remove from the community would have learnt from their mistakes if they received a standard punishment. It's not like I removed newcomers who still had plenty of chances to change their ways, learn and improve. The people who I've banned are long standing members of the community who would not change their attitude and behavior as seen by their post history. A standard warning would simply be shrugged off and expire after a month or two, without any repercussions or effect on their attitude. The standard warnings are not enough in those cases and extreme measures need to be taken to achieve the desired effect. Those who were removed were acting in a malicious and toxic way, hence my decision to remove them from the community. It's by no means a standard procedure or common occurrence, but once someone gets to that point, I think it's fair for me as community owner to remove such individuals from the community to improve the environment for all of us.

Rolle:
I think you might have gone a bit in the wrong direction when it comes to cleaning up the environment here.
You are so focused on and desperate to try and improve the atmosphere in the community that it to a large part has backfired
and makes the community seem even more toxic than before. While I absolutely agree the community had issues when it comes to attitude
these drastic measures and alot of the changes in how policy is enforced hasn't made it less toxic. It's added to it.
It's made the community even more politics based and that's something I already used to tell newcomers, this place isn't all about the game and roleplay.
It depends on a fairly large amount of politics as well. A lot of research over how rules are being enforced differently by different people for different people.
It has a steep learning curve due to this. I also believe this is part of the fairly low retention rate of new members. Simply because they're thrown in the deep end
without any swimming lessons. This isn't an argument to treat newer members more lenient, it's an argument for making sure there are more points of reference in how
the rules are enforced. Somewhere precedents can be referenced.

A note on how the desperate change to turn this community into a safe space for all, sorry for the lack of a better term has backfired and made the community feel more like an Orwellian experiment
with some stasi flashbacks. You used to be able to joke in the community and have fun with community members without worry. Now it feels like the mentality has changed from "should I be offended?" to "Could I be offended?"
and using this against people regardless of intentions or how innocent the joke was meant to be. Overall checking the appeal section you should be able to see, over a fairly large amount of time that things are very inconsistently enforced
and sometimes very unnecessarily enforced, it simply adds to the toxic atmosphere.

I still very much enjoy this community, it's unique. I have a great time roleplaying in-game and enjoy the IC sections of the forums.
But I do still recognize that the rest of the forums is a place to tread wearily and never get comfortable with. It's not a friendly place.
It's a dark alley filled with sharp objects and people who wish to see you fall.

Without nostalgia colored glasses I can still say, the attitude in the community was better before the step was taken to pad the walls and floor.
You're already fairly keen on using rule 4, I think it'd be better to make a transition back and have you rule 4 the people that act in a toxic way.
I'd start with a banstrike or an aggravated one before turning to a final warning or a permanent removal though. Show people that you're not messing around without executing them.

Hopefully this can turn into a community again.I miss those days.

Rolle    2450

@Sasha Thanks for the feedback. Do note that I did not make up the current way rules are applied because I liked or wanted them that way, it was done to combat some of the community members abusing the fact that we were lenient and laid back with jokes and friendly banter and used that fact to create toxic attitude filled with hostile banter and memes targeting other members, personal attacks, low key flaming each other and generally showing immature behavior. I agree that the attitude used to be MUCH better among community members and there were less hostilities, snaking and general ill intent towards other players.

The warnings for rule breaks are never issued because someone can be offended by something, they are issued because the content posted is immature, irrelevant or in bad taste. There's always going to be someone who is offended by something and that's not something that we would base our decisions on. We want to have a mature community with members who have mutual respect towards one another and we are trying to strictly enforce good behavior with those rules until the we don't have to anymore or the bad people are removed from the community.

I still think instant removal from the community is the way to fix the issues we face for the moment. As the time progresses, individuals are removed and the attitudes improve I think final warnings will be used instead. And there's also the possibility of those who have been already removed to be reinstated on long, long final warnings.

15 minutes ago, Rolle said:

@Sasha Thanks for the feedback. Do note that I did not make up the current way rules are applied because I liked or wanted them that way, it was done to combat some of the community members abusing the fact that we were lenient and laid back with jokes and friendly banter and used that fact to create toxic attitude filled with hostile banter and memes targeting other members, personal attacks, low key flaming each other and generally showing immature behavior. I agree that the attitude used to be MUCH better among community members and there were less hostilities, snaking and general ill intent towards other players.

The warnings for rule breaks are never issued because someone can be offended by something, they are issued because the content posted is immature, irrelevant or in bad taste. There's always going to be someone who is offended by something and that's not something that we would base our decisions on. We want to have a mature community with members who have mutual respect towards one another and we are trying to strictly enforce good behavior with those rules until the we don't have to anymore or the bad people are removed from the community.

I still think instant removal from the community is the way to fix the issues we face for the moment. As the time progresses, individuals are removed and the attitudes improve I think final warnings will be used instead. And there's also the possibility of those who have been already removed to be reinstated on long, long final warnings.

I know your intention obviously wasn't to create more toxicity or simply another form of toxicity, but what's your opinion on how it's turned out?
What's your take on the current atmosphere here. Think of before and after through multiple points of views, as a newcomer, a veteran whose spent a lot of time, money and soul here, a staff member, a former staff member. People from every usergroup has criticised how things have changed, but a lot of the time it seems to be pushed aside as "that clique is just trying to stir things up" while many if not most are absolutely genuine and wanting nothing more than to improve the community through whatever ideas they have or by stating what they disagree with and wants changed. A lot of good feedback has been brushed aside just because of an assumption of hostility behind it. 

You're able to create a middle ground of how your leniency worked in the past and how unforgiving it is now. If things become an issue, have an actual private word with the people responsible, issue a serious warning so they're aware of their attitude. Some people aren't aware of how they're acting or being interpreted as acting and would greatly benefit from an actual sit down or a PM with someone saying that they've become a problem. If these people are that much of a problem they're even considered  to be removed permanently, then it won't take more than 2-5 minutes to write a PM like this and it would do a lot more good than a permanent removal.

I think that's a step in making this place just a little bit less toxic and a way to start moving back to becoming a community again.

Another small note for the whole admin team - I've always been against junior GM. But in some cases I think it would be useful as it seems a fair bit of moderators aren't picking up on enough things to make correct verdicts lately. This doesn't require a new usergroup or title, but if a moderator is going to be considered for promotion try to get them to watch more closely and interact with some GM's. Over the last few months there's seemingly been alot more issues with verdicts than ever before. 
Clearly there's an issue to be looked into.

Edited by Sasha

Link to the situation: N/A

Any supporting evidence or notes: N/A

Recently you banned Chernov , before that Thumper and Jimmy. In my opinion none of that was justified. I say that in my opinion as a former Administrator for this community , and not as a friend to Thumper and Jimmy. Thumper was very critical of staff work , I agree. He had to be however. It's obvious to those of us actually active in the community that the constant staff mistakes were not being fixed or addressed. You have admins on staff with zero activity , at least activity that the general community can notice. As for Jimmy's removal , it was a new rule that I don't feel anyone including myself had the grasp of until it was updated and enhanced. Still he was banned and his appeal denied. As for Chernov, I agree he deserved points, but a permanent ban was extreme considering he had no warning level , and what he posted was in no way deserving of a permanent ban. You make it seem like you kept this all together all alone. When the former admin team all abandoned you , I stayed , Roman stayed , Rick stayed and Red stayed. We stayed and we rebuilt. We stayed because we had faith in you and that your intentions while sometimes questionable, were always for the betterment of the community.

For over half of my time here I was a staff member. I had some of the best times in the community as a staff member and also worked through some of the hardest. I've watched friends come and go. I as well as every staff member and any community member that has spent x amount of time here values this community , or at least valued it.

We've watched you use your power to overturn verdicts on Jim , verdicts that would've stuck to any other member of this community including myself. Yet you fail to see that as an act of betrayal , or an act of hypocrisy.  You call the same people toxic and cancer that you once called Admins and Gamemasters. Yet you fail to believe any of that fault lies with you or the decisions of your admin team.  I'm not trying to be an asshole , but why are we made out as assholes for simply stating the way things are rightfully done , and asking for fairness?

Suggestions for improvement: 

What I would ask is that you listen to us. Actually consider our suggestions. Not just brush them off as "salty ex bitter snake staff etc". Realize that while your rule here is absolute , that does not make everything you say or do "right".

I honestly don't want a response. I just want you to read this and take it for what it is. Real feedback , from somebody who worked hard to keep the wheels here turning.

Dear Roland,

Truthfully I don't think you're a bad person or a bad community owner. You're actually pretty enjoyable funny on your streams, but I think sometimes the choices you make are questionable. It's actually quite odd because most people know you're a joker, but sometimes you give off a really harsh image. I'm not talking just about the permanent bans, in a way I agree, it's your community, your rules, but for a public image I don't feel those are the best choices. DayZRP doesn't have the greatest image, and while some of the bans I agree with, others I feel were very sudden. I think our image is important because players are not endless. Only so many people play DayZ, and so many will eventually see DayZRP. The "waves" eventually will slow down, and be smaller such as .61 release, we did not really see a large increase at all. You've heard all that before, so I'll move on to presenting you some feedback, ideas, and suggestions. 

My first suggestion would perhaps be looking into a middle person between yourself and the admin team such as a Director, or Community Lead. I don't mean a co-owner (that's a whole other story I will not get into), but I mean someone in a higher position that helps oversee performance of the admin team, staff team, and helps promote the server in direction. There's no shame in letting someone else captain your boat for a bit. You once said DayZRP is like a painting, you give us the canvas and the frame, and we make the picture. I like that analogy. I think that worked for a while, but there comes a point where we have painted the same thing several times, and we are left asking, "What's left?" I understand your position in life, you have a job outside of this, you have a family, you have to provide for them. I respect that 100%, I understand completely a lot of your choices have a financially reasoning behind them. You can't be expected to make all the choices though, overturning appeals, monitoring staff performance, creating new ideas. This is my opinion, but your responsibility should rest on the servers, website, organization, networking, and staff management. I feel there's too much reliance on you. Especially lately in the case of Wumby, a ton disagreed with the verdict, and we shouldn't have to call on "Papa Rolle" to come in and fix it. Who really is looking at the admin's performances? As we saw from Kattica' post there was a huge gap of contributions from two or three admins. It's crazy to think how long that went on for before a community member had to address it. Someone internally should be handling that. I think this role is also vital if you are going to be branching out to launch another community or project.

My second suggestion is two in one. First, we need PR people. Second, you need to trust those PR people you hire. You need to trust anyone you hire. When I was PR for a week or two I tried to make big changes, update your twitter banner/logo, and you shut it down every time. What's weird now is you like my banners because it's the same style I did for the Twitter. I even tried multiple versions. I'm not upset if you didn't like my choices, I done design work for years, I've been rejected before based on the style. I'm upset that you seemed opposed to change. I tell you what I told you in the e-mail, I have years of experience in graphic design, and I did social media networking for a 1.6 billion dollar revenue earning company. Entrust with the people you hire. I get it, your community, your rules, but you hire people in these positions because they /should/ know the department better. Hire a good PR person, hell, I'll do it again if you just want someone to run a Twitter. Whatever you choose though, let them make the choices they feel are best. If it doesn't work, revert, but there's no harm in trying. The other concern with PR is you don't need this big giant creators like PsiSyndicate. They come here for views, not for roleplay. You know that. PR needs to look at helping streamers, promoting our own content, and reaching out to former members of the community to find out why they've left. PR should be generating metrics and monitoring the successes and failures of the server, what works, what doesn't. It is not just reaching out to a big name streamer. That isn't PR. That's one part of PR.

Third, you can call this my salty ex-staff suggestion, but the current LM team is really struggling. I think you heavily undervalue this too. These are the people that are going to be making the server unique and different. What other roleplay server has so much depth in it's story and lore? I've seen other roleplay servers, and those servers don't even know Chernarus is its own country. People love events. When we did "Trade Routes" event series we would fill an entire server in less than 20 minutes when we announced an event was starting on server 3 or 4. Events give people something to do, they give player's a purpose, it's motivating. You can't do events though if you just don't have the support. I don't want to be subtle either. Staggs does a good job, but you can only expect one person to do so much though, like yourself (suggestion one). The issue to me is LMs aren't being pushed enough, and secondly you aren't letting LMs have control. Let someone lead the team, and pick their team. This is a non-authoritative staff position, they write stories, they create content, they put on events. The current system picks and chooses from input of yourself, LMs, and admins. Why? Appoint someone in charge of LM team, and let them pick their team. Imagine it like a jigsaw puzzle. I feel like you're trying to smash pieces together trying to make it fit to complete it. Most LMs are writers, and most writers are pretty unique in their style. The chances of you randomly picking 4 people, and hoping they turn out great work is rare. It likely will not blend well. That's why you have to let some teams have control. Will it result in people hiring friends? Yes, but if that produces content and creates events, that's better than the system we have now. Right now we have one active LM. We have no new lore content on the forums, and we have had maybe two events which really (no offense, this is me personally) I didn't hear anything about. They seem to have been underwhelming, and targeted a small audience. One of your Loremasters still doesn't even have a feedback thread up. Why? If you like Staggs, if you trust Staggs, let Staggs have more say.

Four. This is the big one for me. I feel you lack appreciation for the staff team and former staff. I know many ex-staff, and many say the same thing - it was very unfulfilling and unrewarding. I know, I know! It's a volunteer position. No one is forced. However, there are people that put hours, hours, and hours of work into helping your community, and all profits are going to you. I have no problem with that, I understand that especially given the whole debt situation, but sometimes I really feel like you lack that relationship between your team and you. How many people have you personally thanked after they left staff on their own terms? How many times have you ever told them good job? Just sending a PM after someone left staff with a personalized message and saying thanks would mean a lot to some people. Just having a raffle at the end of the month for a game or two would be something. I understand you can't pay everyone, but damn. I felt the only times you ever spoke to me in staff were when you were upset by something. It always felt like to me there was this huge gap between staff and yourself. These people are your engine room, they're putting in time out of their day to help the community. If they leave, this whole place crumbles. You can't replace them all. I would hope you want people walking away feeling good, feeling rewarded, and properly thanked.

EDIT: Also PLEASE put some time into side projects. ARMA 3 has a huge playerbase compared to DayZ, I think upwards to 3x. Please put time aside before launching any projects. You could have a lot of success in these ventures if you customize them more, have a different lore, rules, and expectations. You just throw these up and they go to waste. I promise you if you assigned a team before release to set up the server more you'd see a lot more interest. 

Suggestions for improvement: 

My only advice is don't be afraid of change. The community has significantly less people than ever before. There's nothing wrong with that either, communities sometimes have dips, but I just really hate to see nothing getting done about it. I don't feel it's just the patch/game. Yes, that's part of it, but surely some of the lack of players has to do with our community, rules, and standards. I don't buy into the whole "DayZRP is dead/dying" thing, but I do believe in the business principle of always improving. I feel there's so much that could be improved here, but we have such a lack of motivation here. Everyone's focusing on how many appeals/reports/activity they've done, but that won't make a lick of difference if we have no people. We need people with ideas, and drive. 

Rolle    2450

Sorry for the lack of replies, have been sick and busy with IRL work.

@Sasha Thanks for your feedback. I think it has turned out positive in the end. I see a lot less of the negativity and bickering about staff and more people actually pointing things out in more respectable way and trying to help. Just look at this feedback thread and other threads on the forums, even those that are negative. The feedback from those people was brushed aside exactly because there was hostility behind it. Prime example is Thumper whose threads and posts created only drama and tried to stir shit up as much as it was possible, blame staff without being constructive about the problem or suggesting anything. Now that he is gone and people see that I am serious about fighting the toxicity within the community, I honestly believe things are turning for the better. 

The middle ground in leniency in the past was the final warning and we continue with this concept. The few instant permabans that I have done are individual cases and not part of the larger whole or a precedent on how we will work. We aim to change the final warning as it doesn't have a long lasting effect. We learned this after checking how the amnesty of last summer turned out where around 20-30 permabanned players were brought back with final warning. A lot of them got banned again and some of those who successfully got it appealed how now started to show the same behavior as before their ban. Anyways, the final warning will slightly change in the future and will have a more permanent effect on ones account. So final warnings are the regular way of handling these behavioral or attitude problems, the bans that I issued are an exceptions and quite honestly insignificant considering how many bans and final warning are handed out regularly.

As for JuniorGM, the GMs already need at least 2 people to get a verdict done, I don't think the idea will improve much. But I'm quite certain that Caesar and Dax, both veterans of the system during DayZRP golden age are working on improving the team consistency and performance. They've been invaluable help so far.

@Hebee Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, it's a lot of work sometimes and lost nerves over silly things on the Internet. But I keep my head up high and thanks to the wonderful staff team that we have I do not give up. Even if these guys make a mistake sometimes, it is still a drop in a sea over how many reports are done correctly. I haven't counted exactly but my guesstimate is that our mistake rate is at most a few percent of total verdicts and calls done and as long as it stays that way, I'm happy. The mistakes that are made can be nicely pointed out by our community and the admin team and always fix them afterwards if they agree.

As for your suggestion, we always have the post history available to us in case it is needed. It's publicly available to all members so it shouldn't be too much trouble for people to verify what kind of content was posted by the user and exactly how he or she was contributing to the community.

@Mamba Thanks for your feedback. As you wish I shall not respond. Feedback read and understood.

@Post Thanks for your feedback. Thanks for watching my stream, perhaps once I get better I will continue with it, it was a lot of fun and it actually motivated me to start playing DayZ again. I sometimes am a joker, yes and I love to have a laugh and post a few memes, but never at someone elses expense or with a ill intent behind it. And since that's what those jokes and memes have been lowered to on DayZRP, it hasn't been the same since. I wish we had that laid back attitude like we used to have where people didn't have to resort to personal attacks or low key flaming in order to have a laugh. Oh well.

Your first suggestion, I think that person is Terra, no? She is the closes to being a vice-president of this establishment when it comes to authority and decision making. Not taking anything from the other administrators or Jim, but I hold her view in the highest respect out of everyone in staff. The admin team works democratically and as a team. Almost everything is voted on and we go with the majority vote decision. The admin team monitors itself and it has been pointed out previously, unsurprisingly by Terra, that certain admins do not perform on the same levels as others, so we were aware of it even before Katticas feedback. My role is very much diminished, like you say I only make sure that the website runs, the backups are done, the invoices are paid and the bookkeeping is done. I vote in most of the important decisions like staff promotions and new rules, but I usually do not get involved on day to day discussions or doing reports/ban appeals. It happens very irregularly and spontaneously that I have to jump in to check an appeal or a report or permaban someone on the spot. Yes, it happened a few times in the last 2-3 months, but if you look back at the last year, you see that the frequency does not add up to a large number of incidents like that. So I  think I'm taking up a more technical role in the community and swim deep down in the backend of the DayZRP system and let the admin team with Terra as the leader handle the day to day issues.

#2 Yeah, I know about the PR managers. Honestly like you say I should be able to trust these people with the social media etc. It's however like you say that there only so many people that play DayZ and so many interested in role play. I think due to how popular the game currently is, we're run out of big new playerbase prospects. Most of people who were interested in role play in DayZ would have found us by now, considering we're the largest of all role playing communities and #1 hit on Google etc. Retweeting stuff on Twitter and posting on Facebook will have a negligible effect on the population here, that's my opinion at least. Reaching out to old players who have left - I send a community wide email every few months to all community members whenever there have been large changes to the community or the game, to attempt to bring them back and play. Last one I sent when 0.60 released, but there simply haven't happened much of interest since then to justify another newsletter. Maybe with 0.62 some time in 2020 ;)

#3 We're aware of the LM team issues and they are being actively worked on and we should have results this week. I won't say anything more, so stand by for results :)

#4 I appreciate them a lot. I have sent PMs like you say a lot and have replied to most leaving threads thanking them for their work. But like I said above I haven't been as active within the staff team itself much, so some of the staff members I haven't interacted with much. I don't think a raffle to reward staff members would be good, if anything it will create a environment of competition, something we already had to combat when staff activity tracker was created on the old website. Again, I think that if I have a good contact with someone in staff, I thank them personally for their work. If I don't I just usually leave a generic message on their leaving thread. The staff team is pretty big and I can't be BFF with every person involved, but I try my best to make sure the teams, especially the GM team knows that I appreciate their work by throwing a "good job" here and there into their Slack channel.

#5 The only serious side project that is planned is the Desolation and that should be great from the start without any extra work from our side going into it. Like you've noticed I've started with the concept of some of these projects being community run, as in creating side project teams (Miscreated Team, LiF team), however it didn't seem to make any difference even if we had 5+ individuals dedicated specifically to that project. Right now we have LiF which doesn't seem to be doing very well and ArmA3 mission which is not RP but something fun to do with a couple of friends and shoot some AI. For Desolation I will have things prepared, although I think the rules will kept largely the same.

By no means am I afraid of change, that's exactly what I've been doing recently, changing things. I think our population if affected by the DayZ development in far bigger way that anyone thinks, just take a look at release of 0.60 - nothing was changed within the community but we jumped from 250 online players faily (about what we have currently) to almost 1000 and 5 servers. And remember that nothing was changed in the community during that time, it was just the release of the patch that brought all these people here. So I think that in 90% it is the DayZ development cycle responsible for the current amount of players that we have. The remaining 10% may be people who disagree with the rules, whitelist or simply leave. Looking at the amount of leaving threads kind of confirms it for me, I don't see no leaving waves of people who are unhappy with the community, people just stop playing because the game got stale and repetitive. Sadly we chose DayZ as our thing and we must now suffer together with it's development speed.

Link to the situation:(Use "N/A" if not appropriate.) N/A

Any supporting evidence or notes: (Here you can post a screenshot, chat logs or anything else to help demonstrate your point,Use "N/A" if not appropriate".) 

N/A

Feedback:(Here you post the main section of your feedback. Keep it respectful.)

Just wanted to say thanks for being so chill when i joined your ts room yesterday asking about something you didn't get upset or angry you answered my questions and did not be hostile or defensive in any matter which i liked and felt that you should keep it up i saw people leaving negative feedback on other threads etc. Just thought it was time to point out a positive and thanks for answering my question last night. :) 

Suggestions for improvement:(Use N/A if not appropriate. If bad feedback suggestions of improvement are required.)

Keep it up man if you talk and handle things you did last night i think you will have no problems with everyone and remember its your community do with it as you wish. 

APureGamer    55

Feedback: Im going to give some feedback on the current state of DayzRP. Specifically hostile RP. I do understand you have a busy life Rolle. I do not know if running this community is your full time job and is the main source of income. Truly it is none of my business. But I see you trying to fix this community and I want to thank you for that. This community is a big part in many peoples lives and trying to fix it instead of putting it off on other staff deserves some praise and respect. With that being said improvements and reworking needs to be done majorly. Robbery RP should not be encouraged in this community and frankly it is. Robbery RP is not fun for most people due to the same old "drop your weapons or you will die." People don't ask questions anymore. If someone wants a question answered they take all their supplies and then drag them to some random town where the RP is boring and stale. A suggestion I would love to make is simple. Find some time off if possible and play RP for a week straight. How every many hours you want daily. Dont join a group just run solo or with a friend and you will see what everyone complains about. The constant robberies and just stale RP is flooding the server. That way first hand you know what to fix. You have done a good job running this community but recently its going down hill and eventually we wont be able to get back up.

Suggestions for improvement: Rework the rules regarding robberies and firefights. Make a death limit until you must perm your character. Do something to stop 24/7 robberies and firefights. Its almost a PVP server at this point. Take peoples suggestions into deep consideration regarding execution rights. Make it so actually executing someone and getting into firefights has actual consequences rather than re spawning and gearing back up.

Thank you for your time @Rolle

Rolle    2450

@WeeMan Thanks man, it was nice talking to you. I wish I could talk to my community members more often, unfortunately my job, kids and the admin work takes up almost all free time I have.

@APureGamer Thanks for your feedback. Robbery RP can be great, I have experienced it just a few months ago in December. I don't think we should restrict robbery RP per say, but rather mindless PvP that is often the outcome of it. I am fully aware that we have members in the community who pretend to be interested in RP, but all they care about is using the robbery RP, mixing it up with some ruleplay in order to create PvP scenarios. That kind of play style can be very dominating, hence the rules and restrictions we have in place to minimize it. Also it's one of the reasons I added settlement rules, to allow those who want to have peaceful RP to have a place where they can do it without having to worry about being initiated upon.

The bad RP robberies with "drop weps 10 secs" and firefights have been around since the early days of the DayZ mod and there's no good solution on how to get rid of them without being too restricting on hostile RP which is a huge part of DayZ - after all this isn't a Life server. The execution rights suggestion is being considered, but neither there is a good solution available that would be fair to everyone. And permadeath after x mount of deaths will never happen, it should always be the choice of character owner to kill the character. Feel free to create suggestion threads with ideas on how to modify existing rules in regard to these issues and I'll definitely look at them.

Cid    332

Link to the situation: 

Feedback:  I'm not entirely sure if this post right here is the result of a group staff decision and you just decided to post it, or if it is simply you posting it because it is your understanding of the baiting rule, but it left me and I feel like it has also left others confused on the actual meaning of what baiting is.  Rule for reference:

5d585ae1be.png

Perhaps this is just a matter of the wording of the rule being changed, but before the new ruleset baiting was about being forced into situations in where using or trying to obtain kill rights was the only other option.  Though that may not be explicitly clear here in the new wording of the rule regarding baiting I'm sure that still holds quite a bit of merit, so this is what I am basing it upon.

Despite there being a trade blockade set up by the opposing party in the report, I see no reason that the owners of the settlement HAVE to try and obtain or use kill rights in order to find a solution to the trade blockade.  The owners still have the choice to either try and attack the blockade to thwart their plans or they can just leave it alone and not get any trade from that direction.  At no point were the settlement owners forced to use kill rights.  Baiting is like being stuck in a house and there are players outside blocking the door so that you can't get out, so the only options you have are to either log out and give up or attempt to initiate and kill those blocking the house so you can get out.  That makes it so that the only real option use kill rights once/if they are gained.  Blocking off trade to a settlement simply seems like good RP, seeing as those who own the settlement can try and talk it out with those blocking their trade and if that doesn't work, take them out by force or simply just don't do anything about it.  Is it a hindrance?  Yes, but that is the point of a blockade, is it not?

If anything, I would commend them setting up a blockade to try and further RP.  It seems clear in the report that the opposing party was able to approach to blockade for some RP, so it wasn't like their were initiating on anything that got close.  Their purpose was to hinder the settlement without straight up attacking it, and if you had an enemy in-game and you knew that they were conducting trade, I would think that you would also agree that trying to hinder their supplies and supply routes would be a good way to further RP between the groups.

Suggestions for improvement:  One of a few things could be improved on this.  Either the baiting rule needs more clarifications on the changes it actually took when the ruleset changed or simply this was a mistake in the understanding of the baiting rule by either myself and other members of the community or yourself and the staff team.  If this is a matter of the rules being unclear in this situation they should be updated appropriately so the community is not confused on what is good hostile RP or what is considered baiting.  The only other thing I can think of in terms of my own mistake in understanding the situation or a mistake from the staff team would be if because that they are a settlement that they are literally untouchable, and I don't believe that to be a case just because the opposing group was not a faction at the time.

Ramon    331

Link to the situation: Rolle's Content Count/Post History

Your forum activity is outstanding. You are active in discussions, suggestions and other topics.
You are also active in arranging things for community members and the community itself.
Almost always ready to do things and quick with responding to questions.

But I find that you as a community Owner do not spend a lot of time on TS.
I barely see you and if you are there you are in the private Staff channels.
I never talked to you in TS for example. Now I get that you are a busy man with a job and kids.
I hope that you are willing to spend a bit more time in TS to talk to people for example or play games with them.
Maybe join a group and play DayZ with some people.

Suggestions for improvement: Get more in TS, talk and/or hangout more with community members and play maybe a game with them.

Phoenix    1048
Posted (edited)

Link to the Situation: N/A
Any Supporting Evidence or Notes: Screenshot below
Lately there has been a lot of talks regarding you making quick decisions, not talking to the staff team.. etc.
I would like to use this thread to give you good feedback regarding this nice change that you added to the new report templates:
4518c05ca1.png
It proves that the suggestion some of us gave you here & here has been acted upon.

Rolle, I know I have acted like a bit of a dick in the past. Attitude on the forums and all, but let it be known that I care about this community just as much as anyone else and I'd like to see it continue being successful, heck I wanna see you pay off your debt my dude. 

Suggestions for Improvement:
Maybe you can use our suggestions with more open arms in the future, like you did with this one. 
I am glad you decided to implement this as "required". 

You're a good guy, rolle. Please don't make quick decisions that nobody really wants in the community and work with us instead.
I can see you're on the right path. Keep it up. :) 

Edited by Phoenix

Rolle    2450
2 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

-snip-

Thanks for the feedback, these were indeed good suggestions, hoping to add more of these improvements soon. Check my "About me" on my profile for details.

Zero    277
Posted (edited)
Link to the situation : 

Any supporting evidence or notes : N/A

Feedback : I'm extremely happy that you have decided to step in and look over some verdicts like the one linked above. Some will probably be upset for me stating this but for quite a long time now verdicts have been done that result in not guilty that would have been guilty 6 months or longer ago. What I originally would know as a rule-break would later be deemed not one by the verdicts being handed out, it's as if interpretation for rule-breaks is completely open and that is NOT how it should be. Rule-breaks should be clear and not decided by someone's personal opinion because the situation could be twisted into something it's not.

Suggestions for improvement : I believe there is not really anything to improve on just please continue looking over these verdicts when you can and making sure that the staff team understands the meaning of the rules completely.

Edited by Zero

Rolle    2450

@Zero thanks for the pat on the back. I will definitely keep a lookout on the report section now that I know that things have rolled downhill in terms of quality control there. I will also overlook each and every group that gets accepted after the wipe, so that the quality of RP from all groups increases.