Server time: 2017-08-21, 10:26

Sign in to follow this  
Brad

Staff Feedback

Re-Open Staff Feedback?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Re-Open Staff Feedback?

• Yes
    • No (if so what should we do differently?)

Brad    155

Just been a while since we've heard what will be changing with this, has anything been discussed?  Are we privy to these conversations?

A bit of a rant here but my thoughts on the matter (hopefully I'm not being overally dramatic, I just think we needs to get realz here): 

To be perfectly honest the decision to remove it was baffling.  Staff Feedback will always have it's salty posts, but if there seems to be a regular occurrence of criticism (and please don't tell me how there is a difference between criticism and "bashing staff, because I am aware of what was posted and what wasn't) maybe there needs to be a reality check that something isn't quite right with the way the staff team is functioning.  

Does it suck to hear negative things about yourself?  Hellz ya!  But part of being a great staff member is being able to handle that feedback in a positive way that will have the community saying "damn did they ever handle that criticism well"

If the worry was too much discussion, that too is on staff.  The ability to control a thread is indeed not a difficult one, that previous staff teams have handled in the past.  Warning a thread, giving points even is something previous staff members did with confidence.  Why was there so much difficulty doing just that in the staff feedback thread?  

To take from personal experience, I whole heartedly gave feedback with motives that staff would read it and improve on it, or thank me for taking the time to write it and dismiss it as they have every right to do (because as much as I'd like to think so, my feeback may not always be right on the nose).  Maybe not all did this but most people are here to be apart of a great community.

I'm also under the impression that if the feedback thread isnt re-opened you'll just end up with frequent discussion threads  regarding staff feedback.  I also firmly believe that the continuous closure of this thread shows a lack of trust in the general community to behave maturely and civilly with one another, and if that trust is truly lost, then what the fuck are we doing here?

Anyways the question once again, any movement on the feedback front?

-Also let's not get into a pissing match here as that is clearly not the point.

Open the thread and let people go at it. But it's up to @Rolle .

Shadows    1012

We were told an alternative will be coming SoonTM.

A timestamp for that and what exactly it will be? No idea. I agree it should be out ASAP but that's all I know.

Eagle    346

From what I know a staff feedback thread will be up but something will be new, we just have to wait and see what Rolle has in store for us.

/Moved to General.

Oliv    1565

Hopefully we will have something up soon, as I too enjoy hearing what I could be improving on and what I'm doing right. That being said, I don't even think it's been a week it's been gone yet, has it? Can always feel free to PM us staff feedback in the mean time.

Brad    155
6 minutes ago, Oliv said:

Hopefully we will have something up soon, as I too enjoy hearing what I could be improving on and what I'm doing right. That being said, I don't even think it's been a week it's been gone yet, has it? Can always feel free to PM us staff feedback in the mean time.

I get that this is the PM staff phase.  But once again I believe that shows a lack of trust in the community if we can't have open discussion on what is currently happening. (Not to mention a lack of trust on Rolle's end that Staff can handle the thread once more)

Seeing as @Rolleis likely the only one with knowledge of what will happen next.  I will leave it in his bean manipulating hands ;)

Edited by Brad

4 minutes ago, Oliv said:

Can always feel free to PM us staff feedback in the mean time.

I'll pass on that. In all honesty, PMing feedback isn't nearly as effective as handling it publicly. PMs can go unanswered or given minimal responses, but doing it publicly is what is needed sometimes. Sometimes people need to be out on the spot, and basically have their nose rubbed in it like trying to train a dog. Pardon the analogy. Got some extra points to add to this, but simply too much to type on my phone.

Pussy    312

Are people that scared to receive negative feedback? Are there more reasons than that in closing the thread down to begin with?

I don't see a point in inflating someone's ego by patting them on the back when they're not meeting the standards of what is required. Reward for work that is done well, and point out work that isn't so that it can be improved on  -- that's the only way people are going to learn. Not only does pointing out mistakes on the forums help other staff members see what work is expected of them, it also holds the party in question accountable to address the issue head-on. 

I hope Rolle's solution doesn't involve bubble-wrapping staff and throwing points to anybody who has a negative opinion. 

Oliv    1565
Just now, Tosh said:

I'll pass on that. In all honesty, PMing feedback isn't nearly as effective as handling it publicly. PMs can go unanswered or given minimal responses, but doing it publicly is what is needed sometimes. Sometimes people need to be out on the spot, and basically have their nose rubbed in it like trying to train a dog. Pardon the analogy. Got some extra points to add to this, but simply too much to type on my phone.

You are right, it should be public. You can always tell me how awesome I am with hitting me up with a status update too. Nothing else exciting really happens there.

I suggest if anyone is going to do this, make it actual feedback rather than just something like "who even are you?" etc.

2 minutes ago, Meowtica said:

Are people that scared to receive negative feedback? Are there more reasons than that in closing the thread down to begin with?

I don't see a point in inflating someone's ego by patting them on the back when they're not meeting the standards of what is required. Reward for work that is done well, and point out work that isn't so that it can be improved on  -- that's the only way people are going to learn. Not only does pointing out mistakes on the forums help other staff members see what work is expected of them, it also holds the party in question accountable to address the issue head-on. 

I hope Rolle's solution doesn't involve bubble-wrapping staff and throwing points to anybody who has a negative opinion. 

Staff arn't scared to receive negative feedback, majority of the 'feedback' on that thread were lowkey attacks, flame, nitpicking and creating drama out of nothing. Granted, there were some well written posts that explained negatives and offered solutions, however this was just too rare to justify keeping the thread up, by the looks of it.

Oliv    1565
3 minutes ago, Meowtica said:

And I believe the goal is to remove the massive discussions that were occurring and get it back to feedback. If I'm doing a shit job, tell me about it. I don't need to you pad the blow, I can take it.

Most of the harsh "nitpicking" feedback comes from 2 things.  

1.  The same mistakes happening repeatedly without any fixes.  Only promises of a fix with no results.

2.  Ignoring criticism and/or not responding to community members when they question something.  

Stradic    263

Just going to put this out there but should we perhaps look at making a template for the staff feedback if it comes back?

Oliv    1565
Just now, Stradic said:

Just going to put this out there but should we perhaps look at making a template for the staff feedback if it comes back?

I believe something like that is being considered, but a few other things are too.

Brad    155
Just now, Mental said:

Staff arn't scared to receive negative feedback, majority of the 'feedback' on that thread were lowkey attacks, flame, nitpicking and creating drama out of nothing. Granted, there were some well written posts that explained negatives and offered solutions, however this was just too rare to justify keeping the thread up, by the looks of it.

The above have ALWAYS existed Mental.  The difference is more recently the team doesn't seem to be able to shrug this off an d not get defensive about it.  

1 minute ago, Stradic said:

A good idea!  Prevent a back and forth discussion with more of a report like template.  If I didn't already run out of beanz you would have some sir.

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

The above have ALWAYS existed Mental.  The difference is more recently the team doesn't seem to be able to shrug this off an d not get defensive about it.  

I agree it's always existed, I've seen it a lot over my 3 years here. I'm unsure as to why it got closed when it did, I'm guessing the bad posts heavily outweighed the constructive posts for a long period of time which led to the threads close, but I cannot speak for Rolle. That's just how I see it.

Brad    155
Just now, Mental said:

I agree it's always existed, I've seen it a lot over my 3 years here. I'm unsure as to why it got closed when it did, in my eyes the bad posts heavily outweighed the constructive posts which led to the threads close, but I cannot speak for Rolle. That's just how I see it.

Then you warn and point those posts and get them out of the thread.  That is when you ask for the conversation to move to PM's when there is clearly nothing constructive coming from it on the public forum.

Either this new system needs to come out soon, or the thread needs to come back. 

4 minutes ago, Mental said:

Back when I was a GM/Admin we would have community members question our verdicts and opinions. However, we ALWAYS responded and used the rules and facts to substantiate our views.  Most of the justifications I get now is "oh well it's just my opinion".    Its frustrating when you cant get responses for up to a week and when you finally get one it is just the same old "well that's just my opinion" argument.  

What a lot of people don't understand is that Staff was held to very high standards back then.  We also went out of our way to remain as consistent as possible.  We didnt shy from feedback or negative criticism we talked it out.  There were even time myself, Caesar, Dax, Staggs and the OGs would go on TS and talk it out with community members with problems.  Sure we didn't always walk away with everyone agreeing with us, but we were respected because we were willing to have that conversation.   We didnt have staff members calling each other Fags or the N word.  We acted very profession, but were also very approachable at the same time.  Of course someone like myself is going to "nit pick" when I see a bunch of fuckery going on.  

DayZRP has always been better than most communities because of the high quality level of staff.  Staff sets the tone for everything.  

Pussy    312

It's always easy to feel attacked or nitpicked when it's your work that's being questioned. Flame? Give it points instead of allowing back and forth between the person who wrote the feedback and the staff member in question. Will people be pissed? Maybe, but at least retaliation against someone legitimately flame-baiting is necessary. Retaliation against a whole group for having an opinion just totally looks spineless.

I've never seen a staff feedback thread like how that one was. You may believe that it was because people were "nitpicking" and "creating drama", but has anyone entertained the possibility that people are totally exhausted from seeing the same mistakes happen over and over again? People have poured fucking hours upon hours into this community --not just staff members. To see problems arise over and over again is daunting.

Brad    155

Glad to get many different opinions on the matter,  but it's obvious that we all aren't going to fully agree on what's going on.

Admins, I challenge you to come up with some ideas, don't just leave it to Rolle, he should have your input, he should have your discussion.  If he makes a decision all on his own that's what he does, but you shouldn't be standing idle when it comies to these things.

See what you can come up with.

(also interested to see what happens with the poll)

Edited by Brad

Castiel    1124

I absolutely believe it should remain open until the alternate is ready and working. Public feedback is the most efficient way to handle it in my opinion. As a Staff member I was always happy to receive feedback good or bad, some criticism to help me improve. You know?

Having to PM feedback isn't a good way to handle things. Especially when it's apparently "flaming" if you post it on their wall like @Vapor did.

Open the thread again until an alternate way to provide feedback is ready/thought of.

I think in honesty there are situations that call for staff feedback. The publicity get attentions, and prompts a response. There been a lot of appeals and reports have been revisited when the majority of the community felt outraged.

However, I do agree that the thread was getting to the point where people seemed out for blood. I think there could have been a bit less posts or at least worded more constructively. I think it's needed, but not used to just say the same thing over and over.

Hollows    427

Personally, I do think we should re-open it and cease re-warning threads. We take the feedback, and point people trying to make discussions instead of offer feedback. Relatively easy.

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    752

Negative staff feedback is not allowed.