Server time: 2017-10-20, 16:17
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
StoneFace

Thoughts on specific features of characters

StoneFace    11

Have to thank @The Marshal for giving me this idea but he told me a good way of engaging in dynamic RP with someone is asking if they have anything of importance on them, or have a defining physical feature. An item of significance to the character could be on them and you might miss it if you don't instigate it from the beginning of a conversation or robbery. I've been pondering over the past couple of days on how I could potentially start adding this to my role play without becoming overbearing and samey feeling. I would love to have the other person feel as though I care enough about their character's backstory to the point where I may actively be progressing it rather than just dragging them into mine. Not trying to instigate meta-gaming by looking at their backstory or anything but just discussing how other people may go about this sort of thing in-game. 

This is how RP can be developed further. I've had experiences of people that carry photos of family members (such as daughters of wives) or friends on their person. Sometimes people RP that specific items such as compasses or even spectacles have some significance to them. I know I would be hella mad if someone were to take something of importance like that by force instead of something trivial like an M4 or something like that. It would drive good RP and make for a good story. Sometimes people should see past the material side of RP..

Skinner    505

Some people limit themselves to in-game items as props for whatever they need them to be. For example, my character at the moment is obsessed with his research and I wrote about 13 pages of research notes on the infection that fit with the dayzrp lore, in game I almost always have a sheet of paper in my hand that I RP is my research journal. Other times I RP that it is a medical record if I am treating someone's injuries. I have morphine and saline, but I also always have a bottle of vitamins that I can easily RP as antibiotics, antidepressants, sleep aids, Vicodin, laxatives, whatever the hell I want them to be.

I whole heartedly recommend that everyone think of something more than just the confines of the game when it comes to the items their character has and can use. I always RP that in addition to my normal medical supplies I also have stainless steel surgical forceps, hypodermic needles, glass slides, surgical tubing, gauze, etc. There is an endless amount of items of tremendous sentimental value to every character. A worn photograph, a toy soldier, a folded letter, a diamond earring, a rosary, all of these things are FAR more interesting and promote tons more RP than another stack of 5.56.

Edited by TheMatt924

Iso    1227

Its all well and good until you find a necklace made of foreskin.

Then shit gets creepy.

Fast

StoneFace    11

- User was warned for this post -

StoneFace    11
4 hours ago, Elmo said:

Then shit gets creepy.

Fast

Sorry allow me to rephrase what I was trying to emphasize. I was surprised to hear that you may have encountered this in game from someone. If my character were to actually meet a person like this in game I'm sure I would have a hard time grasping why they would have such a thing. Also "how" they got it in on their person would be a story I would pursue first, because of how odd and creepy that necklace would look. 

4 hours ago, Elmo said:

Then shit gets creepy.

Fast

Sorry allow me to rephrase what I was trying to emphasize. I was surprised to hear that you may have encountered this in game from someone. If my character were to actually meet a person like this in game I'm sure I would have a hard time grasping why they would have such a thing. Also "how" they got it in on their person would be a story I would pursue first, because of how odd and creepy that necklace would look. 

Iso    1227
Just now, StoneFace said:

-snip-

What really surprises me is how you got warning points and I didn't ;)

I think people should do it more often though, search for meaningful RP items I mean (not chop off genitals), most focus on the radio, concealed weapons and disabling factors. If anybody bothered to ask, they'd find a journal on me, two fading photographs, a decaying human ear and my "RP" stun gun.

StoneFace    11
11 minutes ago, Elmo said:

What really surprises me is how you got warning points and I didn't ;)

I think people should do it more often though, search for meaningful RP items I mean (not chop off genitals), most focus on the radio, concealed weapons and disabling factors. If anybody bothered to ask, they'd find a journal on me, two fading photographs, a decaying human ear and my "RP" stun gun.

Safety first I suppose when checking for items on people. Most of the time people are more worried about getting shot from afar instead of slowly learning everything interesting about another character. Though in my experience so far I've managed to keep a conversation going much longer with a hostage if my group and I aren't being threatened by their friends for a few minutes. I was in charge of interrogating Marshall Gibbs, a man we had tied to a tree. I let him know that I would try to get him outta here alive but it came at a cost of burning his face with a blazing helmet we put on his head. Now unless anyone asks, they might not ever know he has some scarring from that incident. Either that or he got surgery to fix it up, hopefully we gave him fun hostile RP.

11 minutes ago, Elmo said:

-snip-

Edited by StoneFace

Castiel    1124

I remember a long time ago when I was taken hostage by @Cowboy and his guys, they surprised me with this. I improvised and said there was a photograph in my back pocket and it really added to the RP. Since then I've done it a few times myself and it is great.

BOLDEdition    20

It's a good idea to ask if there is anything of significance on them as you suggested; my character always has his camera dangling from a leather strap around his neck that he constantly is handling in one way or another around his other gear. I have even brought it up in hostage situations but no one has done anything to play off that.  Any way to extend your story and theirs is always going to be preferred.