Jump to content
Server time: 2017-08-18, 16:36

Sign in to follow this  
Guest

Removing the requirement for forum names in TS

Recommended Posts

Guest   
Guest

Title says it all. It was implemented to prevent permanent banned players from hiding in the ts originally. Due to the ts syncing with the forums , that is no longer the case. Guests no longer have access to ts unless they have a valid forum account.

To be fair , I wouldn't care but recently some of our group have been playing missions in A3. When you use task force radio it changes your name to your ign automatically. Then you have staff poking you multiple times telling you to change it. Which is frustrating in a firefight.

Basically the rule is not needed. Staff have the ability to IP search names of necessary to trace them to forum accounts. Simple as a copy and paste. No guests can join without having their uid linked to a valid forum account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   61

It might become confusing if people use 'funny' nicknames when you want to negotiate a hostage situation, since you can't negotiate through the hostage anymore.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stagsview    588

I honestly wasn't in favor for this rule when it was in place...I got used to it and I understand why STAFF needs to have their forum name on the forums but community members I honestly don't agree they must have their forum names next to them. Besides making it easier for other community members to find other users I don't see much more problems.

Now, if they were to have troll names or simply inappropriate names (I<3ISIS#PRAISEALLAH, ROLLE'SBOTTOMBITCH etc...) Then yes...I wouldn't even tell them to change their name and perma them on ts on the spot for being twats. As long it isn't abused, I see no issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

I can see the downside and upside from this. If I want to find my friend in TS and his name is not what his forum name is that could get confusing and I could easily mistake him. It would also need to be monited. Just because you can have your TS not your forum name you need to still follow community rules. 

I love this idea because staff have been  constantly poking to some of my friends telling them to change it up and then banning them. Oh se7en my boy Hatch. 

there is also a buddy system is TS so you could add your pals to the list so you see there name. 

Overall I like the idea or maybe even tone down some of the staff  waving there plastic cop badge around when people don't have there TS name there exact forum name. Duces 

Edited by Charlie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest
44 minutes ago, Misty said:

It might become confusing if people use 'funny' nicknames when you want to negotiate a hostage situation, since you can't negotiate through the hostage anymore.  

I agree with this point. So wouldn't it make more sense to make it requirement to include your IG name in your TS name when you are in game? IG names would make more sense to have rather than the forum names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
William    398
1 hour ago, Staggs said:

I honestly wasn't in favor for this rule when it was in place...I got used to it and I understand why STAFF needs to have their forum name on the forums but community members I honestly don't agree they must have their forum names next to them. Besides making it easier for other community members to find other users I don't see much more problems.

Now, if they were to have troll names or simply inappropriate names (I<3ISIS#PRAISEALLAH,NIGGERFAG480, ROLLE'SBOTTOMBITCH etc...) Then yes...I wouldn't even tell them to change their name and perma them on ts on the spot for being twats. As long it isn't abused, I see no issues.

Pretty much this. Personally it doesn't really affect me since I'll just use the same name anyway. However it can be an issue if someone is trying to avoid a report. It would be harder to find someone in TS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

I don't mind a relax version of the rule since I want to know who is joining my channel and where I'm going to speak with my friends. Many have descriptions and avatars that people recognize, but not everyone. At the same time, I don't think it's necessary to get warnings from staff if my name is a different version of Sofie or just have words added to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shadows    997

Honestly the biggest reason I'm against this is if people are looking to discuss a report on teamspeak, it makes our job much easier to just search teamspeak for their forum names to contact them. There are other ways around this but this is definitely the easiest and most convenient way.

I'm not against allowing people to change their names to what they want on TS, but also not too sure why it's such a big deal. I can go either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Castiel    1124

Won't be able to find people if you want to do hostage negotiations, discuss potential or ongoing report etc. Won't even be able to find your friends. No reason to change it imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cid    332

50/50 for me.

At one hand, I understand the need to not have it anymore, on the other hand it's extremely helpful for not just staff members but for community members as well to find exactly who they are looking for.  Honestly, the way it is causes no harm really but reverting back to the old way has ways it can harm, even if it is a bit trivial.  Might as well keep it the way it is, the inconveniences aren't really enough to warrant changing it back, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

 

14 minutes ago, Castiel said:

Won't be able to find people if you want to do hostage negotiations, discuss potential or ongoing report etc. Won't even be able to find your friends. No reason to change it imo.

"Won't be able to find people if you want to do hostage negotiations" I mean can't find em anyways unless you know OOC who it is. Half the time the people you rob are so salty they don't even respond to the ooc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noxious    136

I think keep it, mainly cause when in a situation in game, say theres has been attack of some kind. You get the logs off the HD and then you can find them in TS to resolve whatever happened. Sometimes resolving in TS is better than throwing up a report. 

Edited by Noxious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caesar    438

Actually if I remember correctly it was designed to make it easier for people to speak with you. To speak with you they need to know who you are. It was also to prevent the sheer amount of people that would abuse the name changes and make silly names.

Sorry Mamba, you know I would agree if I could but I like the current system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

There is already hidden channels anyway, so all you people claiming " Oh we wouldn't be able to find them in case of a report or hostage negotiations. ". You wouldn't be able to find them anyways unless you knew their comms ooc or were given the frequency since everyone is hiding in their hidden channels anyway.

I'm tired of trying to play immersive games with my friends and mods start poking us trying to assert their internet dominance over us.   I explain every time what we are doing , and if i want to play Arma 3 coop missions with my friends and use TFAR which changes my name I should be able too  and not be dogged by people for no reason other than to try to get credit towards their activity and promotion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

Yo....if we are in Arma 3 , we are obviously not in Dayz to take hostages. That in itself makes that point null and void.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buddy    834

Mamba you know I love you, but I don't think I could get behind this one.

12 minutes ago, Mamba said:

Yo....if we are in Arma 3 , we are obviously not in Dayz to take hostages. That in itself makes that point null and void.

You may not be playing DayZ, however the other 90% of the people in TS just might be. If people who are not playing DayZ can change their name then those who are would too.

16 minutes ago, Whip said:

There is already hidden channels anyway, so all you people claiming " Oh we wouldn't be able to find them in case of a report or hostage negotiations. ". You wouldn't be able to find them anyways unless you knew their comms ooc or were given the frequency since everyone is hiding in their hidden channels anyway.

Those don't even exist anymore; the whole concept was completely reverted by Admins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest
Just now, Buddy said:

Mamba you know I love you, but I don't think I could get behind this one.

You may not be playing DayZ, however the other 90% of the people in TS just might be. If people who are not playing DayZ can change their name then those who are would too.

Those don't even exist anymore; the whole concept was completely reverted by Admins. 

Did you even read theOP? I already said why the name is changed. From Arma 3 , not because we CHOOSE to change it.  Add peoples forum names to their descriptions instead of memes , problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buddy    834
2 minutes ago, Mamba said:

Did you even read theOP? I already said why the name is changed. From Arma 3 , not because we CHOOSE to change it.  Add peoples forum names to their descriptions instead of memes , problem solved.

Of course I read it or I wouldn't even know what the thread is about? I get what you're saying about how the name change is out of your control.

How about instead there be a channel specifically for A3 using the task force radio? That way people in there could potentially be exempt by the ruling? Because I honestly don't see it plausible for staff to getting around to each and every last member of the community who's on TS and editing their forum names in their description. Not to mention constant name changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Denton Fitz    3

Free the names, I don't personally agree with forced forum names on TS again maybe its just me since I've been here awhile but hell I don't like being forced to have my forum name in TS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oliv    1550

Meh, I really don't see the reasoning for knowingly making your name something it isn't on the forum. The arguments for don't seem to out weigh the arguments against. Now, in a case like the OP with task force radio, I can see it being a legit issue. I personally think the staff team should keep enforcing it, but maybe there can be another solution than just having this enforced entirely. I mean, we have ArmA rooms on TS, or you could make a temp room with the description stating the reason why your names aren't going to match, but I fear even that might get taken advantage of. I could see people just making a room and spitting out a bunch of stupid names and then complaining to staff that they were in a game using Task Force.

I dunno tbh, I would love to see a way to make this work, but I still don't think abandoning the TS name enforcement is the right way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest
24 minutes ago, Oliv said:

I mean, we have ArmA rooms on TS, or you could make a temp room with the description stating the reason why your names aren't going to match...

They were doing just that and still getting poked/messaged about their names. The extra room in F11 comms explicitly stated TFAR was being used. They hardly played outside of that room if they were doing Arma 3.

I don't see an issue with removing the rule. Community rules obviously still apply. And if hostage situations are ongoing, well, you're likely going to need to figure out the group more than the individual you need to speak with. Hidden TS channels effectively negate the need for forum names, as regardless of what my TS name is, if I'm in a hidden channel, almost nobody can see me.

Edited by Tosh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oliv    1550
18 minutes ago, Tosh said:

They were doing just that and still getting poked/messaged about their names. The extra room in F11 comms explicitly stated TFAR was being used. They hardly played outside of that room if they were doing Arma 3.

I don't see an issue with removing the rule. Community rules obviously still apply. And if hostage situations are ongoing, well, you're likely going to need to figure out the group more than the individual you need to speak with. Hidden TS channels effectively negate the need for forum names, as regardless of what my TS name is, if I'm in a hidden channel, almost nobody can see me.

I was unaware those rooms were being used in this case. TBH I didn't know TFAR did that until reading this as I've never used it (yeah yeah, make fun of me all you want). If this method becomes something we continue to try, it would just be a matter of training staff on ignoring people in that specific room. At this moment, staff doesn't ignore these rooms.

Also, thought we got rid of the hidden rooms. I can never tell cause I can see everyone anyways. I don't want to derail anything here, but I thought they were all gone based on that so I just wanted to avoid the thread misinforming people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest
1 minute ago, Oliv said:

Also, thought we got rid of the hidden rooms. I can never tell cause I can see everyone anyways. I don't want to derail anything here, but I thought they were all gone based on that so I just wanted to avoid the thread misinforming people

Didn't realize those were all removed. I don't pay attention to rooms that aren't mine, tbh. So that was my own misinformation.

Edited by Tosh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shadows    997
20 minutes ago, Tosh said:

The extra room in F11 comms explicitly stated TFAR was being used.

Piggy-backing off what Oliv said I had no idea what TFAR was and why that was important when I asked people to change their names. Once they informed me about that bit I don't mind people having the wrong name in that channel and I have spoken to other staff and as long as it's contained they don't mind either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SpaceCowboy    226

I agree with what has been said by Oliv. Make a channel and let it be known somehow your names will change. I wouldn't know what TFAR meant if I didn't personally use task force radio before but it can be discussed with everyone in staff to ignore any different names in a TFAR channel.

I don't see a reason to change the TS rules for one game that isn't the main focus of the community. Having your forum name makes it easier for us as staff to locate you if your needed and other players to find you to discuss situations or what have you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×