Server time: 2017-10-24, 11:35
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Misty

Common Sense

There are so many rules, yet they don't cover every situation. This can be seen on the forums where staff tries their best to handle things by the rules, yet the amount of complaints about verdicts, punishments and handling of reports/rule-breaks seems to be quite high. As can be read in the staff feedback thread and evidenced by the re-roll of a lot of reports where the verdict is changed to not-guilty.

I believe each staff member tries their best to uphold the rules, but the problem is that there are not enough rules to cover it all. Staffmembers need to choose right or wrong from a grey area between the rules and this brings some issues.
1. Staff handles reports individually, bringing a feeling of injustice or side-picking to members involved in reports. Often they feel if GM A would have handled it instead of GM B, they would not have received the same verdict.
2. Staff needs to choose to punish or not according to their own gut feeling, which is always biased when it concerns a rule-break in the grey area between the rules.
3. Staff has nothing to fall back on, when argued in ban appeals by the punished that their verdict was based on something not covered in the rules. As seen in the frequent re-rolls of ban appeals, this seems to be an issue.

I would like to suggest the return of a rule called 'Common Sense'. This rule can fill in the grey area and give staff an extra argument in their defense of verdicts that currently feels unfair to those involved. The staff could then fall back on the common sense rule. I ask if this rule can be up for discussion, and/or if it has been up for discussion since recent events. 

I believe rules are one thing, but in their currently written form they can't ever cover every situation. The Common Sense rule, which means what it tells you, would allow players, staff members, to handle things using common sense when dealing with the grey area between the rules. An upside of this rule would be that probably numerous other rules can be scrapped as they are vague descriptions of what common sense would be during roleplay and things you should definetely not do, or do, because its simply common sense.          

Wendsill    0

Common sense allows the staffteam to think for themselves, if anything has been proven during the last couple of months its their inability to do just that.

Rules should be black and white, if they're not then adjust the rules to make them black and white again, not add another set of rules which are open for debate.

Cow    0

If only people came with common sense as standard.

It's an interesting idea, Misty.

"Man, that guy got pointed for breaking a rule. I had best break it too and see what happens."

Noxious    136
4 hours ago, Wendsill said:

Common sense allows the staffteam to think for themselves, if anything has been proven during the last couple of months its their inability to do just that.

Rules should be black and white, if they're not then adjust the rules to make them black and white again, not add another set of rules which are open for debate.

Explain in more detail. Cause well common sense is a life trait? Everyone has it, especially a member of Staff. 

Charlo    0
18 minutes ago, Noxious said:

especially a member of Staff. 

What's that supposed to mean?

Noxious    136

He's referring specifically to Staff not having common sense. Well that's how I took it?

Offended that's all. 

Charlo    0
8 minutes ago, Noxious said:

He's referring specifically to Staff not having common sense. Well that's how I took it?

Offended that's all. 

I'm not sure why you feel the need to say "especially a member of staff" like your some Demi god human. 

Get off your high horse and actually accept that a lot of staff (not only staff) have been lacking common sense in there obvious display of immature / poor attitudes and the questionable verdicts I see people talk about. 

To the suggestion; 

I don't think a rule needs to be in place here, I think generally if people have common sense people will use it.

Edited by Charlie

Noxious    136
1 minute ago, Charlie said:

I'm not sure why you feel the need to say "especially a member of staff" like your some Demi god human. 

Get off your high horse and actually accept that a lot of staff (not only staff) have been lacking common sense in there obviously display of immature / poor attitudes and the questionable verdicts I see people talk about. 

Yes, alot of members do lack common sense Charlie. But that wasn't what I was talking about, there is no high horse, I was just simply saying Staff are needed to have some sense.  To be able to deal with certain situations that occur (reports etc) . The Staff team are just normal people trying to make the community clean and safe. Yes we get things wrong Charlie, just like a normal members of the community gets things wrong. Apologies if I offended you some how.

Now I would like this ceases, and we get back on topic; a new possible rule addition.. 

Roman    0

I just think it should boil down to staff having a deeper understanding of the rules and it's facets. The rules we have can be applied for most situations if you have a deep understanding of them. That's my opinion at least.

Voodoo    492

I think the main problem is the rules have been re-worded so much since the community started that its created a different opinion to the community of how it is enforced. Aswell as this there is also a general lack of expereinced staff members training and guiding those that have only been here for a year and a lack of dedicated members putting in an app.

The community is generaly not as dedicated as in the past evidence can be seen from server numbers where there would always be 2 servers full (especially during the mod). Now its just seen as a community that has no KoS.

In terms of common sense, its all about the report with cause and effect looked into and taken into consideration. Recently it just seems like the bigger picture isnt being seen and discussions are not as passionate as they once were. Are there still 3 hour report discussions where the victims side are looked into by an accused defending GM?