Server time: 2017-10-22, 12:04
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
John

Group Idea; Looking for thoughts

John    271

What will follow is a rough outline of my group idea (sans fancy graphics/headers).  Any constructive criticism would be much appreciated!

Kočovné Pozůstalý
“To cherish what remains of the Earth and to foster its renewal is our only legitimate hope of survival.”

LORE:
          The dirt beneath our feet is saturated with the bones of conquest, the rotting flesh of defeat.  Turmoil is not new to this land.  It has been the home to conflict, war, and pestilence; not just for its countrymen, but for every man, woman, and child the world over.  It has brought death.  For years, we’ve wandered the hills, traversed the forests and fields of this country.  For years, we’ve seen institutions and coalitions fall to the inescapable realization that death comes for us as sure as the sun falls.  Humanity is at its twilight.  The sun is setting on our civilization.  Some still cling to ideology—to hope.  But for those of us that see this impending final act… those who have accepted the future for what it is… we can live truly free.  That inevitable heat-death of mankind is rapidly approaching and we are in the penultimate years before that end reaches us.

All we can truly rely upon, aside from that predestined reality, is those who stand beside us.  Those who have starved and bled and will die for us.  I came to this country with friends and for friends.  They’ve all died—succumbed to the infection or to other lesser men.  It is only those who have survived and banded together at the darkest points of this global decimation that can truly be trusted.  Large groups of people are weak, prone to collapse and betrayal due to greed or malcontent.  Us small bands of men and women who have been through the fire can become the next evolution of humanity.  Mankind in its current state is unable to survive.  The hard—the strong—must guide it past that coming end.  To move forward, we must go back.  Back before cities and countries and government and bureaucracy.  Back before weak men created gods to subjugate strong and world-weary.  Back to the times of tribes—of men who lived off the Earth, with the Earth.  We have become our own greatest threat, and so we must cede to the will of our Earth and once again live as a part of it… not against it and ourselves.  We wanderers will thrive as other lesser men wilt.  And we wanderers will live on as others perish.

I have wandered for much of my life, even before Chernarus.  I guess you could say I’d always been looking for my tribe—that group of people who would go to war for you in a heartbeat.  I don’t really remember how or why I ended up in this harbor for misery and death… nor do I really care anymore.  This outbreak and the subsequent fall of humanity opened my eyes to the one truth of man: anyone without a tribe is weak and sure to succumb to the long dark of death.  Most of the people in this world were without one.  In fact, I really believe the only people who will make it from here and raise the next generations of mankind will be those who found or will find a clan of like-minded survivors.  Since the infection swelled and stretched across the Earth, I have kept searching for my tribe.  Now, I believe I have found a few who truly embody that for me.

We were born of those who thought a haven would ever truly be safe.  Safe from fear, safe from blood, safe from each other.  But that dream was crushed by the size; the publicity of the place.  This loosely formed Alliance of survivors believed in the possibility of rebuilding civilization, of creating a new world free from anarchy and from strife.  The goals were ambitious, and for a time it looked as if it would work.  But the cold reality of human indecency, pride, and greed clawed back into the minds of these people like dark shadows flitting about in the trees that surround a campfire.  It began to crumble, this haven, and so proved that in a world without law, who can remain above the dirt except those who live for each other and not some old-world ideals?  So, we’ve struck out again.  Back to the hills and the forests.  This land may be harsh, unforgiving, relentless—but it bends to those who are equally hardened by time and by pain.  We will live for each other, because we are a tribe, and we will do so on the move.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned in this new world, it’s that if you stop moving… then you stop surviving.

RP INFORMATION:
          It has been approximately two years since the outbreak.  Very few people, if any, know the real date—but that doesn’t really matter.  What matters is that after so long struggling to survive, killing infected and threats and seeing friends and loved ones die, there should not be a single shred of civilization left in people.  Sure, a settlement or community may have insulated themselves from the brunt of it, but the clear majority of mankind left alive and uninfected should be depressed, paranoid, exhausted, and hardened.  To maintain mental resiliency so long into what is for all intents and purposes an apocalyptic scenario is unrealistic even among those trained in SERE or those so desensitized to this struggle throughout their lives that they simply do not feel anymore.

Either way, I think the roleplay at this stage of the community is far too soft and more focused on sadism and/or civilization building than it should be on a struggle for survival.  I want to bring back (or rather introduce) a sense of genuine survival RP.  One where a group of individuals is fiercely loyal to those within it and highly suspect of any outsiders.  An encounter with a survivor should not go like “Oh uhhhh hey, what’s your name?  Do you belong to a group?”  It should be hostile and cautious to the point of paranoia.  The mental and emotional drain of unfettered survival should be clear from the moment you see someone to the moment you either kill one another or leave one another be.  Friendly conversations and small talk about weather or various factions should not dominate these encounters. 

For this reason, members of the Kočovné Pozůstalý (roughly translated from Czech to English as “Nomadic Survivors”) will be hostile to everyone they meet, work to avoid threats they spot ahead of time, and preempt attacks from others by responding immediately with violence of action and a paranoid survival mindset.  We will not commit acts of banditry.  We will not torture.  We will simply not be friendly to anyone except those clearly helpless or those who have absolutely earned our trust.

IC GOALS:
·         Wander the vast landscape of Chernarus, either to find a new home or leave an old one
·         Avoid unnecessary interactions with large groups of people to keep the tribe safe
·         Form ties with groups deemed useful and necessary to our survival
·         Find strong, like-minded individuals to join our close-knit clan
·         Make the weak fear us and the dangerous respect us

OOC GOALS:
·         Provide quality internal RP that closely resembles what I believe to be genuine
·         Provide the community with realistic hostile/survival RP
·         Avoid any scenarios likely to endanger the individual or the group
·         Avoid relying upon external assets (ie. TeamSpeak) for in-game or in-character play
·         Avoid falling prey to campfire RP that does not reflect an extinction-level event

RULES:
·         Do not betray your fellow wanderers
·         The needs of the Tribe outweigh the needs of the wanderer
·         Never trust an outsider unless he/she has earned it
·         Stay away from settlements or other places the weak gather, except for emergencies
·         Live off and as part of this land, or find yourself ground into the dirt beneath us

Edited by Static

Shane    570

Noice 

John    271

Thanks!  If anyone is interested in joining up, feel free to shoot me a PM.  I want to keep the group tight knit (6-8, no more than 10 for now), so I have a pretty specific idea of what I'm looking for.

Pussy    382

I'm a sucker for internal RP. Sounds interesting! 

John    271
3 hours ago, UnkaSunka said:

Cool idea, hope it works out for you.

9 hours ago, Magnus said:

Some H I G H quality schtuff here.

11 hours ago, Shane said:

Noice 

12 hours ago, Noxious said:

Looks good man, once you get some graphics on this and few people getting about it, ohhh mint!

Thanks to the boys, appreciate the support in me striking out on my own!

8 hours ago, Meowtica said:

I'm a sucker for internal RP. Sounds interesting! 

Thank you!  I always thought a grittier internal RP would be interesting to play out.  I think that is a big reason people's characters remain stagnant or one dimensional.  Relying only on external RP means that you never develop and never experience a survivor's mindset.

Sofie    0

I like that the group wants to be realistic, only taking risks when it is absolutely necessary. Since you are focusing so much on keeping yourself out f conflicts and not put members in danger, can I suggest adding a forced permadeath rule? Trust me, all these goals will be much more challenging and realistic if you do. 

Please don't play internal RP which consist of only hiding somewhere where nobody knows where you are and can't find you unless they are group members - basically not wanting anything to do with the rest of the community. Groups like that ruin it for lone survivors.

John    271

@Sofie I have definitely considered a permadeath rule.  I've also considered (and will likely employ) a "no alt character" rule, because I've seen how alts can cause OOC drama that inevitably leeches IC.

I plan to keep my people moving between towns and military zones, searching for supplies and living as they go.  I don't want any camp for them to settle, the RP is on the roads, so to speak.

Sofie    0

Smart. Alt characters allow members to avoid certain situations that the group may be in, stirring up drama. When I was in Our Harbor some people put their characters into more risks than others, having them dying, changing a character's personality that way if they got tired of their main instead of making a new alt.

Edited by Sofie

John    271

See I never even thought of it from that perspective, but it further reinforces the concept. For me, I've seen alts run outside the group (ie heros get bored and act like bandits), which only strains relations if allies get caught in the crossfire. 

BOLDEdition    20

Solid idea and I like that you want to keep the group tight in terms of numbers. The nomadic vibe has a lot of appeal and your pushing for IC survivalism with a more realistic POV should introduce a unique RP vibe for people (both within and out of the group).

Eagle    409
3 minutes ago, Static said:

Request that this be closed now that the CP is up.

Alright closing.

/Closed