Server time: 2017-10-19, 14:46
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Riggsee

Factions Need More Criteria

Riggsee    0

Basically the idea is that factions should have an approval process very similar to the one that we saw with groups in the past. I know that this has been done away with groups but I think factions should be reviewed and approved before actually getting their faction tag not just achieving 20 members. 

Why? 

Because being a faction grants rules such as settlements and the ability to attack other factions. I think a faction should meet a basis of criteria before they are granted rules that basically allow them an exemption to some rules within their settlement that would be enforced in other areas of the country. 

Because getting 20 members isn't hard. We've seen this lately with groups almost exploding to 20 members over night. 

Basically... 

All in all groups with minimal lore and basic goals should not meet the approval process to become a faction. Lore should be in-depth as we saw with approved groups of the past. Goals should be varying instead of the cookie cutter (Defend our own, find a place to call home) set that I have been seeing. 

Your group should have well thought out and displayed lore as to why your settlement is yours. It shouldnt just be there because you can have it. 

To wrap things up. 

I feel that factions should utilize their settlements more often. These should be hotspots for like minded individuals of your group not just gear farms for when you die in a firefight or an excuse to kill someone for mouthing off. 

If your group is obviously incapable or has no lore based reason to have a settlement then you shouldnt be a faction. 

Plenty of groups just become factions so they have the ability to attack others that have busted their asses writing lore, creating reasoning behind their settlement, and dedicated time managing and occupying. Some (by no mean all) do this with half assed lore, bland seen in 100 times goals, and a shit standard of quality. This needs to be changed. 

Edited by Riggsee

Dusty    1577

So what do you suggest that criteria be? If settlement rules are here to stay and are not being changed, I agree with some more criteria to meet before you can own a settlement.

If i had any say in it, I'd remove settlement rules and factions altogether. But it's probably not going to happen like that, so I'm interested in something like you're suggesting.

Riggsee    0
1 minute ago, Dusty said:

-SNIP-

Basically I think that to be a faction you should be ready, willing, and able to run a functioning settlement. This can be done with approved settlement lore and rules as well as a mentality that there are going to be people within your settlement. 

Bandit groups that want to use this as an excuse to attack a faction settlement with no intention to own and operate a settlement of their own would not be approved in this process. 

16 minutes ago, Riggsee said:

Goals should be varying instead of the cookie cutter (Defend our own, find a place to call home) set that I have been seeing. 

Would just like to note that in an actual apocalypse scenario, those would probably be the two primary goals of the overwhelming majority of bands of humans still around. There's a reason those are so common, and that is that in terms of RP those make the most sense for nearly everyone. If those WEREN'T the most common goals, I'd be worried about DayZRP's RP standards.

Riggsee    0
1 minute ago, FiftyFootAnt said:

Would just like to note that in an actual apocalypse scenario, those would probably be the two primary goals of the overwhelming majority of bands of humans still around. There's a reason those are so common, and that is that in terms of RP those make the most sense for nearly everyone. If those WEREN'T the most common goals, I'd be worried about DayZRP's RP standards.

Okay well when the apocalypse is actually going on Ill make sure not to call groups out for their bland goals, but for the time being Ill keep in mind this is a video game and a community based on creativity. 

Uriki    0

Factions should get to fuck and just make it so groups can have settlements if they have 20 or more members. Then when they apply for a settlement make sure they have a suitable thread.

Factions are a fucking dumb idea they add nothing extra to the roleplay or the community which groups don't already.

Edited by Uriki

Valkerion    0
1 minute ago, Uriki said:

Factions should get to fuck and just make it so groups can have settlements if they have 20 or more members. Then when they apply for a settlement make sure they have a suitable thread.

Factions are a fucking dumb idea they add nothing extra to the roleplay or the community which groups don't already.

Basically this ^

Just now, Riggsee said:

Okay well when the apocalypse is actually going on Ill make sure not to call groups out for their bland goals, but for the time being Ill keep in mind this is a video game and a community based on creativity. 

If you want creativity,  Nintendo made a post-apocalyptic shooter titled "Splatoon" that's pretty creative.

And it's possible to be *too* creative. In particular, I'm not sure WHY anyone cares about "bland goals"... making up creative and imaginative language to phrase one's goals doesn't do jack to change IG roleplay, which is what this server is based on. Forcing people to have to figure out some flowery and unique flavor text that barely anyone's gonna read just to entertain the small number of frequent forum users that apparently don't have anything else to do in their spare time but troll group pages is a waste of staff time and resources.

5 minutes ago, Uriki said:

They do add one thing; limiting the number of settlements that can be created and who is allowed to HAVE a settlement. Far as I can tell, that's it.

Mexi    1301
1 minute ago, FiftyFootAnt said:

If you want creativity,  Nintendo made a post-apocalyptic shooter titled "Splatoon" that's pretty creative.

And it's possible to be *too* creative. In particular, I'm not sure WHY anyone cares about "bland goals"... making up creative and imaginative language to phrase one's goals doesn't do jack to change IG roleplay, which is what this server is based on. Forcing people to have to figure out some flowery and unique flavor text that barely anyone's gonna read just to entertain the small number of frequent forum users that apparently don't have anything else to do in their spare time but troll group pages is a waste of staff time and resources.

They do add one thing; limiting the number of settlements that can be created and who is allowed to HAVE a settlement. Far as I can tell, that's it.

Roleplay is mean't to involve creativity over the idea of a real life aspect, he has an opinion and it is a suggestion thread so please refrain from shitting on him for said opinion. Plenty of people visit the group pages as most will read before applying for said group so them making the page 'flowery' and 'Unique' not only makes the thread look great and increase the amount of interest in said group it also makes the group section look a lot more attractive for those browsing and hell, they make a damn good read. 

In my opinion they should be looked over thoroughly, if you've gone through the effort to recruit 20 people for a settlement they can man the settlement, make it active and write some lore as to the reasoning have needing, wanting and having the settlement they so desire to 'create RP' instead of galloping around to initiate on every settlement they come across.

Just my 2 cents. 

Bruce    0

+1

The fact that some of these factions are a thing and given some mystical powers to do shit normal groups can't bewilders me. Just bring back some actual group approval system to stop some of these memes. 

Edited by Bruce

Post    0

Factions should at the very least have an approval system beyond just a number. Groups, I still think should (when free time), but factions should get an approval via LM/Admins. 

Eagle    409
10 minutes ago, Post said:

Factions should at the very least have an approval system beyond just a number. Groups, I still think should (when free time), but factions should get an approval via LM/Admins. 

+1 would make the groups have to work on their lore before getting the Faction title.

Mexi    1301
12 minutes ago, Post said:

Yes. This is a perfect idea.

Hollows    450

I can get behind this. I was thinking, personally, that Factions should be a Group for about 3 months at minimum or so before transitioning over to an actual Faction to have some form of character development and ties, instead of uniting massively overnight and forming this colony of survivors or bandits. 

+1 Riggsee, I always liked the old style of how we used to process Group Ideas into actual Groups, and think we should have the same or a similar process in return regardless of Group/Faction.

Riggsee    0
2 minutes ago, Hollows said:

I can get behind this. I was thinking, personally, that Factions should be a Group for about 3 months at minimum or so before transitioning over to an actual Faction to have some form of character development and ties, instead of uniting massively overnight and forming this colony of survivors or bandits. 

I actually really like the idea of a required time frame. 

+1 this idea completely. As someone who is semi-newish to the community, and has always had the fantasy of big settlements and stuff like that I very much think with the current criteria in place it's not that hard to meet and be given the ability to be known as a settlement+the powers that come with it. 

Iso    1218

I said the same thing to a member of staff not too long ago, there are groups within the faction category that simply do not have adequately fleshed out goals, lore or game presence to be considered a faction. Numbers are numbers, they speak volumes about your meatbags with guns but they say absolutely nothing about the quality of RP delivered by said group. I feel that factions should adhere to a minimum standard:

- A minimum number of members.

- A set standard of lore quality, length and sensibility.

- An applicant to the faction must first RP with the faction members/group members before they can join. (It happens)

- Hollows' excellent suggestion of a time goal, a group cannot immediately become a faction overnight but over a period of several weeks/months.

However, it is quite difficult to govern and explain what an adequate standard/quality of lore is and to deign somebody else's RP goals as "cookie-cutter" and "unoriginal." I feel that people should step away from the generic goals but they are by no means inadequate, they are legitimate RP goals and would make sense from a RP standpoint. 

I don't believe rule powers and such "authority" should be given to factions who haven't truly earned it through hours of excellent RP, battling it out with other groups and factions, creating great RP story lines and contributing heavily to the server. Its simply too easy and I'd imagine somewhat discouraging for factions like Floor 11, The 101 and New Moon, long-standing and well RP'd factions, when other factions dive into the mix and call themselves their equal just because they have numbers.

Also, Riggsee, was this thread directed at any faction in particular?

Edit: 101 is not a long-standing faction, but they've been around for god knows how long, they deserve that spot.

Edited by Elmo

Riggsee    0
2 minutes ago, Elmo said:

However, it is quite difficult to govern and explain what an adequate standard/quality of lore is and to deign somebody else's RP goals as "cookie-cutter" and "unoriginal." I feel that people should step away from the generic goals but they are by no means inadequate, they are legitimate RP goals and would make sense from a RP standpoint. 

Considering there is a staff position that when groups still required approval were the ones who governed the standard and quality of lore before this new group system I thinks its a perfectly feasible option. 

Iso    1218
Just now, Riggsee said:

Considering there is a staff position that when groups still required approval were the ones who governed the standard and quality of lore before this new group system I thinks its a perfectly feasible option. 

Yes, it is a feasible option though I am not sure you understand what I meant. What would you consider an adequate standard of lore, an adequate variation of goals? Personally I'm trying to think of a solution that I think is viable but, like I said, I can't explain how I would judge somebody else's work as "unoriginal" or "lacking depth."

Castiel    1124

I think just being around for 30 days and meeting the current requirements is enough. Your group will be archived after 7 days if it doesn't meet group requirements. If you meet them all, last a month and gain 20 members - become a faction.

ExoticRainbow    235

I think that factions should be done away with and instead it should go back to just groups

with that being said I think that there should be an approval process for groups and that groups should be able to apply to the LM to have a settlement and laws of the settlement put in place.

Pegasi    0

I'm a returning old player, this stuff is still new to me. But I think the very idea of a faction is that it's a large group established for political goals. If a faction isn't shooting for some sort of political goal in particular, I think it should just be considered a large group. I think large enough, old enough groups should still be able to create settlements. Rather I think factions should be for political wars as opposed to settlements.

I think having more politically diverse groups striving for a particular ideology was one of the things I really liked about the old mod days (SVR, SDS, CDF, etc.)

Edited by Pegasi

Rolle    2942

I like the 30 day requirement, it's easy enough to check on the group page which says when the page was created and I will get less settlement map requests from newly created factions :)

Any other "approvals" - nah, nobody in staff has time to define and support a long term, high quality approval process for groups. I like it the way it is, less bureaucracy. If the community sees drastic shortcomings in lore or goals, I bet they will point it out to the staff team. It's supposed to be a self-regulated system where you the community check each other for the quality in groups and report issues to us.

Rolle    2942

This has now been at least partially implemented, only groups who have been active for a month (creation date on GroupCP counts) can be promoted to a faction.

Riggsee    0
6 hours ago, Rolle said:

This has now been at least partially implemented, only groups who have been active for a month (creation date on GroupCP counts) can be promoted to a faction.

Are some groups being grandfathered in to this or will the groups that dont meet the 1 month requirement lose their faction status? 

Edited by Riggsee