Server time: 2017-08-24, 10:31

Sign in to follow this  

The reports system and the abuse of it

I honestly feel like the community has become a lot more "butt hurt" about things that go wrong for them. I've had great interactions with people IC and I'm trying to have my character build hostilities with people and groups. Problem is, nearly every time I try to do that I get a ban appeal. Often times people just get so frustrated with losing their character's gear they feel they need to make a report to get the person banned.

Every time I've had a ban appeal written on me or my friends, I had spoken to the person before hand and explained the actions and why it lead to that: and yet they still abuse the powers they are given. Back when I first started it was never like this, people just accepted what happened to them, recognizing that they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, or just with the wrong people.

I guess it's just a mentality default that "this person did a bad thing to me, time to make them pay for it since I have the power to." If you disagree with me, just take a look at the recent ban reports on the forums. It makes being a hostile character a miserable experience as everyone is constantly trying to get OOC pay back for an IC action. This place used to be fun, you could be hostile and have consequences for it. You could be hostile and not expect a ban just because someone felt like ruining your fun. 

I'm not proposing an option, but I'm certainly stating that I feel like there's a problem that people are ignoring. I've spoken to other users about it as well, and there certainly seems like people are RP-ing with a constant fear that they're going to get reported if they execute someone because the person is a part of a group that they have hostilities with (like what has happened to me recently). 

It's a shame that this place has become like this, and at this point I'm hoping there are enough people out there that feel the same way as I do: hoping that a staff member will take notice. I myself have never filed a ban report on anyone for any thing that they may have done. I've always just accepted what has happened and carried the IC hostilities towards that person so that one day I could find them and enact revenge. It takes away from the experience when I have to quickly record the last 20 min with shadowplay because I'm worried that I may get reported. It takes away from the experience when I'm pulled away from the RP so I can go talk to the person I just killed so that I can explain why they died. The report system is a vital instrument of the community, I just wish it wasn't abused like it is nowadays.

Shane    362

Reports only go up when people think rules are broken it is not an abused system, plus if you're innocent it's no biggie posting up a couple of POVs.

Shadows    1020

We always encourage people to talk it out before posting a report, but if a rule was broken then you're more than welcome to use your capabilities of creating a report.

If the report is clearly them just trying to get someone banned because of OOC or is just a useless report then we have measures for handling those.

Keione    50

There is no reason to RP with a constant fear of getting reported if you haven't done anything wrong. That's why many people record their gameplay.

Or just don't break rules

I rob people rather frequently, and if a report goes up, I ain't sweating. Let people be salty. As long as you didn't violate any of the rules, then you're fine.

Castiel    1124

Pretty much what Kevin said. If you don't break any rules then a report being put up against you shouldn't be an issue at all. Just provide your POV and wait on that not guilty verdict.

Worst thing in reports is the pissing contests that go on inside. Drop a POV and dip. Nothing more, nothing less unless staff asks you anything else.

Noxious    136

@Curleyfry I predict you are referring to your rule breaks that are currently being decided on a verdict? Well Fry the only problem in entire report would in this case was you. 

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

Worst thing in reports is the pissing contests that go on inside. Drop a POV and dip. Nothing more, nothing less unless staff asks you anything else.

Like Tosh has said, all you needed to do in that report was drop your video, that POV and await the verdict. Why do think that I never replied to any of your baiting replies calling me and the OP out? When dealing with a report you must take it seriously and professionally. Fights with in report do nothing but amuse others and you end up embarrassing yourself.

So, in the future. This goes for all that read. When in a report, post what is asked and needed. Sit and await the verdict. 

bigwiz14    23

Curley,

As someone who has been around since 2013 you should realize by now it's been this way since mod. There is no secret being brought into light. The community thanks you for your observation.

Sincerely,

Someone who often gets in trouble.

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Reports only go up when people think rules are broken it is not an abused system, plus if you're innocent it's no biggie posting up a couple of POVs.

Even then, excessive reports get people banned. If you're in more than one at any time, you get a ban until either of them is resolved.

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

Yeah I've been there. My first report ever devolved into a massive pissing contest as there were 7 other people who had a POV. People get heated rather easily: unsurprisingly at that. It's just a shame in general that the natural reflex is to report the second you have been killed. People just get salty, nothing we can do to stop that.

32 minutes ago, bigwiz14 said:

Curley,

As someone who has been around since 2013 you should realize by now it's been this way since mod. There is no secret being brought into light. The community thanks you for your observation.

Sincerely,

Someone who often gets in trouble.

I've actually been on a break for a few years, just came back about 20 days ago.

37 minutes ago, Noxious said:

Fights with in report do nothing but amuse others and you end up embarrassing yourself.

I feel like a good way to take care of this would be PM group chats. I'm not sure if that's currently supported by your messaging service, but I'm sure it would be a great edition: especially if we would be able to quote in it.

But if you ask me. What usually causes the arguments is that people try to point out and explain to the moderators what happened in better detail. Giving explanations to specific points others had in their POV. Sometimes it's as simple as a discussion, other times it's an argument.

Moderators aren't there for the full events, it's a bit like trying to explain a historical period without any context, simply stating events. You have a list of things that happened, but often times without discussion on the page there is no context. I'm sure other people have felt the same, I know I have.

Noxious    136
17 minutes ago, Curleyfry said:

I feel like a good way to take care of this would be PM group chats. I'm not sure if that's currently supported by your messaging service, but I'm sure it would be a great edition: especially if we would be able to quote in it.

Yes our system of Pm does use a group system, its just a simple button found on the right side of the picture on that + button.

216e646a8153bb37c4e5860c38f8923d.png

In future a group chat through the Pm system would solve alot of problems, people won't clog up the report section with unneeded comments.

17 minutes ago, Noxious said:

Yes our system of Pm does use a group system, its just a simple button found on the right side of the picture on that + button.

Thanks man, I'll be sure to take advantage of it next time something like this crops up (and spread the word to my friends).

Shane    362
1 hour ago, Curleyfry said:

Even then, excessive reports get people banned. If you're in more than one at any time, you get a ban until either of them is resolved.

Don't break any rules and it'll be all gucci.

19 minutes ago, Shane said:

I'm not sure if you're understanding my point. What I'm trying to get across is that people are making baseless reports due to their frustration with dying or being robbed. When rule breaks do happen it's understandable. But when someone makes a claim without any actual rule break present, it can cause issues for people.

17 minutes ago, Curleyfry said:

I'm not sure if you're understanding my point. What I'm trying to get across is that people are making baseless reports due to their frustration with dying or being robbed. When rule breaks do happen it's understandable. But when someone makes a claim without any actual rule break present, it can cause issues for people.

People make reports. If there's no rule breaks no one will get punished and the accuser might get a false report verdict. If there are rule breaks, the guilty will get punished. I don't see what you're trying to accomplish with this thread, you haven't suggested anything and you claim abuse of the report system. What are you asking for exactly?

Keione    50
28 minutes ago, Curleyfry said:

What issues exactly? People are going to be salty and upset over simple things all the time. In the end, we have a Staff team to handle these reports. If it's baseless, then they will handle it.

There used to be this thing called "False reports" in which if people put up baseless reports out of frustration in an attempt to get someone banned they themselves would get banned instead. However this is not used very often these days It should probably be brought back to be honest.

You're right though having to upload evidence and provide a full POV for a report you know is baseless is frustrating but its something you have to do unfortunately. I see no current way to counter it though I don't think there will ever be one you just gotta hope they get a punishment for wasting everyones time.

57 minutes ago, Shane said:

In a perfect world yes but sadly hes right one of my old groups was basically warned and put kind of on probation because we used to get upward of 5 reports a day even though they were all baseless/false we still got in trouble for it in a way just because of the sheer amount people put up.

Edited by Valkerion

18 minutes ago, SomeWeirdAssGuy said:

People make reports. If there's no rule breaks no one will get punished and the accuser might get a false report verdict. If there are rule breaks, the guilty will get punished. I don't see what you're trying to accomplish with this thread, you haven't suggested anything and you claim abuse of the report system. What are you asking for exactly?

Honestly, I wrote this while I was coming off of being frustrated from getting banned for being involved in multiple reports, want to just want to delete it now. The lot of you have presented your case and I realise how ridiculous this sounds. But try to play a hostile character, just try. People make it very difficult for you to create tension in the world without defaulting to reporting you.

Dusty    1067
10 hours ago, Valkerion said:

There used to be this thing called "False reports" in which if people put up baseless reports out of frustration in an attempt to get someone banned they themselves would get banned instead. However this is not used very often these days It should probably be brought back to be honest.

Oh trust me, they're back

2 hours ago, Dusty said:

Oh trust me, they're back

Well thank god for that I was starting to think you could just make bullshit reports and get away with it now days.

Edited by Valkerion

52 minutes ago, Valkerion said:

Well thank god for that I was starting to speak you could just make bullshit reports and get away with it now days.

I knew I wasn't the only one having this problem! Sad to hear that it's been happening to the two of you as well @Valkerion@Paks, and @Goose

Pussy    312

If you're getting bans from every report you're in, then you're doing something wrong. 

It's nice when people talk in over in teamspeak and come to an understanding, but it's not mandatory. 

They have a right to make a report just like you do if you feel you have been wronged. Two-way street.

Edited by Meowtica

here's how I handle reports.

If the person fucks up and we dunk them, I don't report.

If someone comes to me with some bs like " Can we talk about the situation there might be a report" they get the same answer.   Fuck off , I don't talk about reports.

It's a simple process, If your salty enough to report me then by all means go for it .  It usually doesnt go well for you.

StoneFace    11
16 hours ago, Curleyfry said:

Honestly, I wrote this while I was coming off of being frustrated from getting banned for being involved in multiple reports, want to just want to delete it now. The lot of you have presented your case and I realise how ridiculous this sounds. But try to play a hostile character, just try. People make it very difficult for you to create tension in the world without defaulting to reporting you.

I've been in at least 10 reports in the past couple of weeks but most of the time was just there, not being one of the accused. All depends on what actually happened in my opinion. Even though my character is hostile when hunting for people, I could care less if they want to report me for trying to RP with them. I just put up my information and how the events were from my perspective.

Going to staff and asking if its worth anyone's time is a pretty good idea if thinking about a report. As far as being in one, silence is a powerful tool. Don't post until your sure its the right time and wait until as many other people post just for clarity in the events. I don't know how people can just post on a report within the same hour or so of the events happening. People should wait until they are sure of the information they have gathered about their point of view and THEN post it.

Edited by StoneFace

Squillium    325

The problem is that 95% of the time reports go up because someone's just pissed off. They don't care what the rule break is, they just need something to get the guy banned. If someone makes an honest mistake I will close a report. The only time I would carry on a report, or even start one in the first place, is because the accused knew they were breaking a rule against me or my friends and did it anyway. #stopthepetty

Edited by Squillium