Server time: 2017-10-20, 05:16
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
APureGamer

Abused settlements?

Question

APureGamer    55

Out of curiosity. Why isnt there a rule regarding using a safe haven as a mean to avoid hostilities from other groups. For instance a group with 10 people are hunting 3 guys who robbed some of their members. The 3 guys flee to a nearby settlement knowing OOC those men cannot initiate on them. 

Now you could ask the people in the settlement that you're looking for the 3 men over there. But the settlement can always say "sorry we wont ask them to leave" at which point the group of 10 people cannot do anything.

Another rule being broken is Settlements having a dynamic group with a few people. Then having those people go rob and steal from others and then simple run back into the settlement where they split gear and offer protection knowing damn well nobody can do anything.

I may be wrong but in the mod you couldn't enter settlements after gunfights or something very similar (probably wrong cant really remember mod rules. Been too long :( )

10 answers to this question

Buddy    1066

In our current settlement, we have had similar situations arise from what you've described and have flat out told both parties to simply take it outside and that we will not be a part of their problems.

On the flip side of that coin, we have also had group A who was hunting after group B which was hiding within the walls of our compound and they simply took matters into their own hands and assassinated them from a distance outside the wall (they had KOS rights on them) without having initiated on our compound. Sure it freaked people out a bit although things were resolved afterwords when the shooters came forward. 

This has just been my experience with things since our settlement has been created - I am in agreement that outsiders should not be allowed to hide behind settlement rules. 

APureGamer    55
3 minutes ago, Buddy said:

In our current settlement, we have had similar situations arise from what you've described and have flat out told both parties to simply take it outside and that we will not be a part of their problems.

On the flip side of that coin, we have also had group A who was hunting after group B which was hiding within the walls of our compound and they simply took matters into their own hands and assassinated them from a distance outside the wall (they had KOS rights on them) without having initiated on our compound. Sure it freaked people out a bit although things were resolved afterwords when the shooters came forward. 

This has just been my experience with things since our settlement has been created - I am in agreement that outsiders should not be allowed to hide behind settlement rules. 

Greatest part is. The current rules of settlements FORCES people to just use their KOS rights instead of RP.

Awesome.

Edited by APureGamer.

Keione    50
5 minutes ago, APureGamer. said:

Greatest part is. The current rules of settlements FORCES people to just use their KOS rights instead of RP.

Awesome.

That's not true, you have free reign to use your KOS rights as you please. 

24 minutes ago, APureGamer. said:

Another rule being broken is Settlements having a dynamic group with a few people. Then having those people go rob and steal from others and then simple run back into the settlement where they split gear and offer protection knowing damn well nobody can do anything.

What rule is being broken? That is a realistic expectation - following someone back to their camp and expected everyone there to turn them over when they can keep the things and know you aren't going to do anything is realistic. Sure it can be claimed under Rule Armor, but Rule Armor is called "armor" because it doesn't last forever - at some point they have to leave and if they robbed you, you just got execution rights, so regroup and catch them later. Sure it sucks, but I don't see a rule really broken.

I'm not trying to be bias for either side, because I understand the frustration. I just enjoy playing devil's advocate.

APureGamer    55
1 minute ago, Keione said:

That's not true, you have free reign to use your KOS rights as you please. 

What rule is being broken? That is a realistic expectation - following someone back to their camp and expected everyone there to turn them over when they can keep the things and know you aren't going to do anything is realistic. Sure it can be claimed under Rule Armor, but Rule Armor is called "armor" because it doesn't last forever - at some point they have to leave and if they robbed you, you just got execution rights, so regroup and catch them later. Sure it sucks, but I don't see a rule really broken.

I'm not trying to be bias for either side, because I understand the frustration. I just enjoy playing devil's advocate.

If the settlement denies making the people leave then what choice do you have besides killing them from outside the compound instead of RP. There needs to be a timer. Also doesnt have to be there camp. Just a random settlement used as a safe haven.

Keione    50
Just now, APureGamer. said:

If the settlement denies making the people leave then what choice do you have besides killing them from outside the compound instead of RP. There needs to be a timer. Also doesnt have to be there camp. Just a random settlement used as a safe haven.

If they deny, it gives you reason to lurk and hunt whoever robbed you. It sucks at the time, but it builds a story you can finish with execution if you find them. RP is not always instant and on the spot, and even if you have to wait, it's still RP. I've only seen it become no RP when they know their guys just robbed me and as soon as I walked in they told me to leave or I'd be killed - that's no RP.

Yeah, if I ran into a random settlement after robbing you, chances are they're either allies of mine or they're going to hold me up and take my things. Both of which are still realistic.

APureGamer    55
5 minutes ago, Keione said:

If they deny, it gives you reason to lurk and hunt whoever robbed you. It sucks at the time, but it builds a story you can finish with execution if you find them. RP is not always instant and on the spot, and even if you have to wait, it's still RP. I've only seen it become no RP when they know their guys just robbed me and as soon as I walked in they told me to leave or I'd be killed - that's no RP.

Yeah, if I ran into a random settlement after robbing you, chances are they're either allies of mine or they're going to hold me up and take my things. Both of which are still realistic.

My biggest problem is the fact that the settlement will hunt and kill whoever shot those people in the settlement. Regardless the reason. /Question closed.

Dusty    1585

I've seen this happen in game as well. 

One of my guys is taken hostage and executed for some reason, the guys who do it then go sit inside a settlement and use it as safety/cover. 

However, (this might be a misconception of the settlement rules on my part) shooting into a settlement isn't technically attacking it unless you're shooting the settlement hosts. If you make 100% sure to only shoot at/hit the people you have KOS on, then you should be fine as you're not technically attacking the settlement, just a certain group of people inside of it.

That being said, I could be wrong as I don't fully 100% understand the settlement rules yet. 

In the mod, I believe there was a rule that you couldn't go into a settlement if people had KOS rights on you, although I might be talking out of my ass at this point. I think we should have something similar if the settlement rules are going to stay. It's really shitty to try to use a settlement as cover/safety when you're in an active gunfight or when you know people are hunting you down.

Keione    50
4 minutes ago, Dusty said:

In the mod, I believe there was a rule that you couldn't go into a settlement if people had KOS rights on you, although I might be talking out of my ass at this point. I think we should have something similar if the settlement rules are going to stay.

I'd be on board with this.

APureGamer    55
4 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I've seen this happen in game as well. 

One of my guys is taken hostage and executed for some reason, the guys who do it then go sit inside a settlement and use it as safety/cover. 

However, (this might be a misconception of the settlement rules on my part) shooting into a settlement isn't technically attacking it unless you're shooting the settlement hosts. If you make 100% sure to only shoot at/hit the people you have KOS on, then you should be fine as you're not technically attacking the settlement, just a certain group of people inside of it.

That being said, I could be wrong as I don't fully 100% understand the settlement rules yet. 

In the mod, I believe there was a rule that you couldn't go into a settlement if people had KOS rights on you, although I might be talking out of my ass at this point. I think we should have something similar if the settlement rules are going to stay. It's really shitty to try to use a settlement as cover/safety when you're in an active gunfight or when you know people are hunting you down.

100% that was it. cant enter settlements if you have KOS rights on you

Jack the Ripper    347

If it was up to me, anyone that tried to use our settlement as a means to escape hostilities would be thrown out without a second thought. We're not meatshields, and we sure as hell aren't going to risk our peoples lives on matters that don't concern us.

Unfortunately, I am but a lowly guard, and I don't have final say on who gets thrown out and who gets to stay in our settlement. However I am sure that most of the desicion makers agree with the whole "keep your problems out of our walls" philosophy.