Server time: 2017-10-19, 03:56
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Should Hostage Rule 8.5.2 stick around?

Should Hostage Rule 8.5.2 be modified or removed entirely?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hostage Rule 8.5.2 be modified or removed entirely?

• Yes, it should be removed.
    • No, it should stay as is.
    • I believe it should be modified. (Please clarify in a response)

Yoshi    61

Preface: Yes, I know rule changes just went into effect. I actually haven't been on the forums much in the past 6 months, and I'm still getting reacquainted with the rules as they stand, seeing as I hadn't realized they've changed so much. (Settlements actually came as a surprise to me when I found out that they had new rules differing from groups)

Anyways, enough of my babbling about being the new old guy.

What I want to discuss is a suggestion spawning from what I feel is a rule that encourages bad RP. The rule can be viewed under RULE 8 to be quoted. Hostage rule 8.5.2 says "Hostages may only be killed in the following scenario: Hostages do not value their life, for example they talk back or insult you despite being told to keep quiet."

My question is, how does this not encourage someone to just roll up, drop an initiation, take your stuff, and leave, all whilst sifting through your stuff and giving you minimal RP because they can now facilitate a "shut up or I'll kill you and I don't have to RP with you" kind of situation. I don't like it. Not one bit. In fact, I was a little confused and didn't think that a guy was being serious when he kept yelling (And I know the guy is an older community member who knows the rules and loopholes well enough) at me to just shut up, not say anything, or I would b met with a bullet from his gun. LUCKILY I didn't end up on the floor, in what I'm assuming would've at that point been a rightful kill, even when he was getting all of my gear anyways. I mean, hell, the next thing that came about, after 5 minutes of the three guys sorting through my vest and backpack, picking it apart for literally everything I owned was (And I'm not quoting here, but it was extremely close to it) "Run North and have a nice day, don't come back here for 24 hours or we'll kill you."

Mind you, I don't give two shits about gear. This isn't about the fact that they robbed me, their RP, or any of the events that happened that day. I'm over it and they ended up getting what they deserved anyways. ^_^ What I want to do is prevent similar incidents from occurring or just figure out if I'm going to have to deal with an influx of this kind of RP because it's now validated by a (newer) rule.

Is there anyone else who feels like this rule should be removed, or am I just barking up a tree?

Post    0

It's not about talking back, it's about talking back in a manner that is unrealistic to the situation. In example just giving audible sighs, no emotion, not reacting to pain, or calling the hostage-taker names. In a real hostage situation with a gun to your head you likely are not going to be a smartass unless you know the persons. 

Dusty    1576

If someone takes you hostage and says "Shut up or I'll kill you" and that's literally all the RP consists of, then that is bad RP. As post said, the rule is there to discourage people acting unrealistically. For example, you take someone hostage, and they continuously talk shit the entire time. You ask questions, they only respond with "Fuck you". You tell them to stop being a fuckass or they'll die. If they continue to be a fuckass, you can kill them. 

Obviously I'd suggest threatening them with other things first ("keep talking shit, I'll take your legs off"). But there have been many situations where a hostage talks a lot of shit because they know they have a bit of rule armor.

27 minutes ago, Yoshi said:

My question is, how does this not encourage someone to just roll up, drop an initiation, take your stuff, and leave, all whilst sifting through your stuff and giving you minimal RP because they can now facilitate a "shut up or I'll kill you and I don't have to RP with you" kind of situation.

Because that's BadRP per rule 5.3 ( You may not focus on out of character gains to the detriment of RP) , punishable by a 3-5 day ban. I've seen so many reports for the infamous "10 second robbery" go by with the same verdict that I feel the scenario you're worried about is already solidly forbidden. I do agree that there could be something specific about having to RP with hostages in the rules.

Welcome back to the forums btw. ^-^

Edited by FiftyFootAnt

Yoshi    61
On 1/20/2017 at 6:24 PM, FiftyFootAnt said:

Because that's BadRP per rule 5.3 ( You may not focus on out of character gains to the detriment of RP) , punishable by a 3-5 day ban. I've seen so many reports for the infamous "10 second robbery" go by with the same verdict that I feel the scenario you're worried about is already solidly forbidden. I do agree that there could be something specific about having to RP with hostages in the rules.

Welcome back to the forums btw. ^-^

I like the idea there. Possibly adding something more specific so that it directly discourages the 10 second robberies, making a no-roleplay robbery less of an unspoken guideline and more of a written rule.

And Thanks! I've been enjoying most of my RP since I've returned. :D

Pussy    377

Kind of a knit-picky thing.

But I guess changing the last part of the rule to say "despite being told not to" instead of "despite being told to be quiet".

Difference would be that in the first you're telling them not to be mouthy, whereas in the second one it reads as to be quiet overall. 

Honestly though when you take this rule in consideration with the other ones I think it's fairly obvious it's not trying to condone BadRP. It's only when you isolate it from the others where the meaning gets skewed. 

Mike-Styles    21

I personally think you should keep the rule because we all know those situations when your hostage just wants to be a salty cunt and provide troll RP and I personally don't want to have to deal with troll RP. So by having this rule we now have a way to deal with these salty cunts, you can just kill them now. I also believe that if you were to get rid of this rule it would just push this community more towards a friends campfire RP community which I think is stupid but that's just me. This rule also makes a lot of sense because if you look at it from a real life standpoint if your hostage is just constantly bad mouthing you and won't shut up when you tell him too what are you gonna do? I'd be more that willing to bet that you would shoot him.