Server time: 2017-08-18, 10:56

Sign in to follow this  
LostManAbroad

Curious about storage

Okay so the world of DayZ looks like an apocalyptic version of the real world but it doesn't play like one and I am not sure what to do. What I mean is that you have houses everywhere and in these houses there are wardrobes, cupboards, boxes and various other containers that are really only graphical garnish that makes it look like you are in the real world but which have no function whatsoever.

This is a problem because I want to roleplay the life my character would have in this game but I am forced to keep all my worldly possesions on my person because there is no way to stash them anywhere. I have been looking through the wiki and trawling websites looking for an answer but there doesn't seem to be one.

I am curious about what other players do because I find that besides looking for players to interact with in the game, there really is little other point in my character exploring because I cannot carry anything other than what I have on me. I had not played DayZ prior to joining this group and I have to say I am slightly shocked because the game has been out so long and I would have thought that the ability to set yourself up a base for your stuff would have been an essential part of the game and would have come out within the first or second update. Playing a loot filled game but not providing anywhere to put that loot kind of feels like playing a version of GTA where they forgot to add any cars to the game.

Eagle    341

DayZ currently has civilian tents military tents and barrels that are used for storing items, I would personally recommend going for a barrel as they're easier to hide compared to the tents

25 minutes ago, LostManAbroad said:

I am forced to keep all my worldly possesions on my person because there is no way to stash them anywhere. I have been looking through the wiki and trawling websites looking for an answer but there doesn't seem to be one.

I don't think you've done any research.

The game has had tents and barrels for over a year now.

There are tents and barrels in-game that you can store things in and make a camp out of. Most of these items are already in use so it might make it a bit difficult for you to find. I agree that the game have been out long enough that it should have a proper camp building feature, but there is at least an option to store some of it.

Edited by Sofie

I wasn't aware of the barrels. Tents I was already knew about but they are hardly better than just leaving all your items in a pile under a sign post with, "Help Yourself!!" written on it.

And yes, I would imagine that both tents and barrels are like gold dust in this game.

Edited by LostManAbroad

2 minutes ago, LostManAbroad said:

I wasn't aware of the barrels. Tents I was already knew about but they are hardly better than just leaving all your items in a pile under a sign post with, "Help Yourself!!" written on it.

And yes, I would imagine that both tents and barrels are like gold dust in this game.

That's why people hide them well or use them to make a settlement so they are protected. Which also makes it more difficult to find one for your own use. I have never actively been looking for tents or barrels, but I have stumbled across a few.

Dustup    118

You can also find small protector cases fairly easily.  These are only 6 slots but very easy to hide and last the same time as barrels.  Just remember, whatever you use, make sure that you interact with it at least every 8 days (the timer may be longer this patch, I have not gone longer than this though).

4 hours ago, FiftyFootAnt said:

I remember you USED to be able to put things inside certain wardrobes. Kinda wish they'd return that feature.

That went away when they made the switch to the new UI. Funny thing is the function is still there, it's just that they haven't implemented the interface to access the wardrobes in the new UI yet.

Shane    351
9 hours ago, LostManAbroad said:

Lots of tents around Novaya Petrovka particularly the apartment buildings I would recommend looking there.

William    398

Barrels are kind of hard to find to be honest, but I get what you mean. Unfortunately DayZ is DayZ. You can always RP as a camper and have a small little set up out in the middle of nowhere with a tent and a fire!

Noxious    136
5 hours ago, Smash Gordon said:

Lots of tents around Novaya Petrovka particularly the apartment buildings I would recommend looking there.

Top tip here. 

Also, when trying to make a camp. I recommend finding a already fortified position. Try like a compound with walls that's already in the game. Block up the holes with Tents and make sure there's at-least one way in. I would like to see more of these base's and settlements being put up around the map. 

3 hours ago, Noxious said:

Top tip here. 

Also, when trying to make a camp. I recommend finding a already fortified position. Try like a compound with walls that's already in the game. Block up the holes with Tents and make sure there's at-least one way in. I would like to see more of these base's and settlements being put up around the map. 

It's generally a case by case basis with AOGM because every situation is different. I wouldn't personally advocate someone having one enterance in and one out. I made made a report recently for this exact reason and they were Verdicted guilty for AOGM. 

Might not be the case in some occasions but be careful what tips your giving to the new comers because they may not have full coverage and understanding on the rule themselves. 

But doing it right (in my opinion having more then one enterance / exit) is a good move and a great place to roleplay depending on the type of settlement.

Edited by Charlie